HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

Been out of touch @wirralass Christmas get together & all but I hope 2020 will bring good health to you or at least significant improvement...
How lovely to see you here Sally W. I did wonder where you are, I trust all is well with you.
Thank you, I've not had a good year, stumbling blocks etc but hope things will improve in the new year.
All good wishes for a peaceful and happy new year. Please dont be a stranger.
Take care.
WL

Has anyone seen or heard from @Dave W. He used to post a lot on this thread. If you're reading this Dave please let us know how things are in your neck of the woods. Do you still cycle on your Ebike? Hope you are well.
WL
Ah, so nice to be remembered. Thanks WL! My cycling this year has been reduced due to a plethora of hospital appointments as I was diagnosed with prostate cancer late last year and then shortly later with chronic pancreatitis, so my milage in 2019 is a pathetic 356 compared with 1061 in 2018 :( It does though seem that both condidtions are under control 🙂 and I'm hoping to get the all clear to resume cycling when I see the cancer consultant on the 24th of Dec.
My 'old' ebike has been replaced with a rather nice new one with hydraulic suspension and hydraulic brakes and it's a very nice smooth ride, though not nearly as good off-piste as my last bike. I can't wait to get out and about again. I've got all the winter gear - heated gloves and insoles. Just need a heated nose warmer too!
Thanks for remembering me, and hope you have a super festive season.
Dave

Yeah but Dave W have you got a beanie with a built in light? I'm getting my brother one for Christmas. A needs must if you're cycling in the dark! :D

Yeah but Dave W have you got a beanie with a built in light? I'm getting my brother one for Christmas. A needs must if you're cycling in the dark! :D
Got strobing rear and front lights, but the beanie sounds good so long as your brother wears a helmet too.

I'm afraid I don't do any exercise at all

I have a sedentary job and, with my MS, I find walking difficult and exercise impossible.

Every time I go to the clinic, I expect to be told that I've put on weight yet my weight has been constant for years. Still wearing the same size of trousers for years, too.

Must be nervous energy!

Last edited:
Ah, so nice to be remembered. Thanks WL! My cycling this year has been reduced due to a plethora of hospital appointments as I was diagnosed with prostate cancer late last year and then shortly later with chronic pancreatitis, so my milage in 2019 is a pathetic 356 compared with 1061 in 2018 :( It does though seem that both condidtions are under control 🙂 and I'm hoping to get the all clear to resume cycling when I see the cancer consultant on the 24th of Dec.
My 'old' ebike has been replaced with a rather nice new one with hydraulic suspension and hydraulic brakes and it's a very nice smooth ride, though not nearly as good off-piste as my last bike. I can't wait to get out and about again. I've got all the winter gear - heated gloves and insoles. Just need a heated nose warmer too!
Dave
Aww Dave you're worth being remembered🙂
Sorry to read of your health issues tho, life certainly has dealt you a few rotten blows but glad they seem under control. All the best for the 24 Dec. I hope your Consultant will give you the news you're anticipating🙂
A new bike eh? Wow! Good for you. It sounds very up to date!
Btw you can buy nose warmers from Amazon but.......if you know someone who knits or sews, then maybe they could make one or two for you ~ cheaper by far than Amazon. There's plenty to choose from tho I don't think they're heated. Anyway take a looksie in Amazon.
Best wishes for Christmas and 2020 ~ I hope its a better year for you all round. Again, lovely to hear from you Dave. Will await an update after 24 Dec.
Take care
WL

I havent done as much exercise as I should or would like to. Recent x-rays revealed degenerative spondylosis in my spine. The pain is so excruciating in my lower back that I've started having Hydrotherapy.
Its wonderful to be able to exercise in the pool and not feel any pain. Sheer bliss for half an hour each session.

I continue with specific exercises tho at home on a daily basis for my back, hips and dodgy right knee. I'm walking between 800 ~ 2000 steps as and when with a rare 3150 steps, that was painful.

Currently awaiting an appointment to see a Neurosurgeon to discuss major surgery/injection on my spine.

Well done on your achievements to date folks ~ keep up the good work.
WL
Edited.
I missed this earlier post of yours WL - sorry. You've certainly got your challenges and the pain must be quite exhausting. I do hope the outcome of your visit to the neurosurgeon is a good one for you, and one way or another you gain some relief from the pain.
Wishing you the very best for 2020.
Dave

I missed this earlier post of yours WL - sorry. You've certainly got your challenges and the pain must be quite exhausting. I do hope the outcome of your visit to the neurosurgeon is a good one for you, and one way or another you gain some relief from the pain.
Wishing you the very best for 2020.
Dave
Thank you for your support Dave, pain is exhausting. I'm still waiting for a Neuro appointment to come through but in the meantime I'll continue taking painkillers and very gentle exercises for my back & knees. Hydrotherapy has been cancelled coz I'm still recovering from a chest infection, all being well hydro will resume early January.
I've become a bit of a creaking ol' gate methinks🙂 🙂 but hey ho I'm still breathing!
Stay as well as you can Dave and keep warm.
WL

Reading this has cheered me up no end. I thought I was the only one in the world with a back with lots of fractures, dislocated vertebrae etc., a dodgy knee and a dodgy hip, all of which prevent me from exercising. I do try to walk most days but it is just impossible sometimes when the pain is bad. I'm also 87 and suffer from macular degeneration and insomnia (which means I'm usually tired during the day). Apart from that I'm fine! Never learned to swim, terrified of the water, so can't do the aquatic exercises. Guess I'll just have to cut down even more on food!

Reading this has cheered me up no end. I thought I was the only one in the world with a back with lots of fractures, dislocated vertebrae etc., a dodgy knee and a dodgy hip, all of which prevent me from exercising. I do try to walk most days but it is just impossible sometimes when the pain is bad. I'm also 87 and suffer from macular degeneration and insomnia (which means I'm usually tired during the day). Apart from that I'm fine! Never learned to swim, terrified of the water, so can't do the aquatic exercises. Guess I'll just have to cut down even more on food!
Welcome to the forum, Gabbi!

I walk 15 minutes 4 or 5 times a week - very hard due to advanced copd. Resistance training twice a week. I go to a respiratory rehab session once a week and just about to go back to table tennis weekly session. Also planning return to tai chi but that may be a step too far, we'll see. Had to stop both of those as they clashed or were too near to the rehab session but that's been moved to other end of the week which gives more opportunities. I use oxygen for walking but I dont need it for anaerobic exercise like weights.

I try and do 3 or 4 Aquafit sessions a week, from minimum of 165 mins to maximum 225 mins, plus 10 minutes on my mini exercise bike on the non-pool days. Soon builds up if I pound away waiting for the kettle to boil!

Dave
Hi Dave, been thinking of you and hardly dare ask but how was your December appointment with your Consultant? I hope you were given the news you were anticipating. Fingers crossed🙂
Take care.
WL

Well folks Christmas came & went and I still havent received appointments to see 1) Neurosurgeon & 2) Pain clinic. Self memo: I must chase them up.
As far as the Hydrotherapy is concerned January sessions have been cancelled due to some problems with the pool which could take forever as the NHS are still awaiting to receive tenders to do the job!
So I'm doing my personal programme gentle back & knee exercises at home and that includes swaying from side to side on my round bubble cushion and usung the wide stretchy band for knee exercises.

Did I mention that I have a Mobility Care Rollator now? Its a great four wheeler with a seat. I wonder if @Gabbi would benefit one?
20200114_000222.jpg
*Tap on pic to expand

@Felinia you're doing great well done. Once in the habit of exercising it encourages us to continue doesn't it. I can only walk short distances atm but I do enough walking around my home so I guess that's better than nothing at all.
Keep up the good work folks.
WL

Hi Dave, been thinking of you and hardly dare ask but how was your December appointment with your Consultant? I hope you were given the news you were anticipating. Fingers crossed🙂
Take care.
WL
Best Christmas present EVER, WL! Consultant reckoned my cancer has been kicked into touch by the radiotherapy 🙂 I've now just about recovered my energy levels and even managed to get out on my bike on the last day of 2019, but it's been far too windy since then to get out again.
Thanks for the kind thought!
Dave

Best Christmas present EVER, WL! Consultant reckoned my cancer has been kicked into touch by the radiotherapy 🙂 I've now just about recovered my energy levels and even managed to get out on my bike on the last day of 2019, but it's been far too windy since then to get out again.
Thanks for the kind thought!
Dave
This is brilliant news Dave I'm so pleased that you have been given a clean bill of health. Nothing better than the feel good factor eh? Good to read that you managed a bike ride before the year was out, good for you but do take things slowly til your energy levels are completely up to scratch again. As we begin to feel better we often tend to do all & sundry far too soon with a knock on effect of two steps forward and one step back. Hopefully once the weather improves you can resume your cycling to enjoy lots of fresh air to blow the cobwebs away of 2019🙂🙂🙂
Take care and do stay in touch.
WL

I've been away from this thread for a while. I felt bad posting about how well my exercising is going when it seems as though everyone else's wheels are coming off. 2019 has been a bit of a struggle, not so much with health problems but with motivation. Partly this has been down to the crappy weather but I've also being feeling down due to hating my job. I applied for quite a few other jobs with no success but eventually decided that I could afford to move my retirement forward which has cheered me up no end. So I've kick started my year with lots of swimming, regular weight training and a little indoor cycling and running. My two big events this year are the Gauntlet half ironman at Castle Howard in July and the Equinox 24 hour race at Belvoir Castle in September. I hope to fit in a marathon somewhere too if I can.

Back