HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

I'm doing lots of cycling just now due to car problems. I usually start doing the odd cycle commute around this time of year, taking careful notice of the weather forecasts. Unfortunately my old Saab 9-3 estate has started making noises. I dropped it off at the garage and cycled to work for a couple of days while it was being looked at. It appears that it isn't something cheap to fix like a wheel bearing but something in the gear box. It has now done 138,000 miles so it has had a good innings. It has now been traded, with full disclosure about the impending problems, for a 2012 Ssangyong Korando. I drove to work on Monday as I had to go to the dentist for a check up. On the way home the noise got worse and so I have been reluctant to drive it until I drop it off and pick up the Korando on Friday. Despite the weather being really changeable I have managed to do eight bike rides to and from work and have not been rained on once.
Someone's looking down on you Chris for you to get away with eight bike rides in in between the unpredictable weather we've been having. Shame about your old faithful but there always comes a time when we have to part with something that has served us well for so long ~ and 138K IS very good going. My car is 16 years old this year and it's only done 32K genuine miles. But my little treasure on four wheels is in need of attention ~ like yours, the gear box I suspect. I'm taking it to the garage after Easter to have it checked out. Hopefully after this present cold spell maybe we can look forward to warmer dryer days so you can resume your cycling. I always enjoy reading your posts about your achievements Chris.
WL

11 mile walk today with dogs going take it easy tomorrow knee playing up now

Yesterday was a calm but overcast day and I took a short stroll along West Kirby prom with my elder daughter and her family. Really pleased with this as it was my first walk since I was ill. I walked 3252 steps:D not a lot I know but a start. I'm hoping to maintain this number daily until I feel ready to increase the number of my steps.

Well done @Heath on your 11 mile walk on Saturday tho maybe this was a tad too far with your dodgy knee ~ perhaps you should cut down on your daily mileage for the time being so as not to exacerbate your knee probs?
WL

Know what you mean wirralass my knee dislocates after a while and sore when it goes back in took it easy for 2 days gave it a rest

@wirralass
I was so lucky that my problems occurred on that hit or miss week. Since then it just hasn't stopped raining. Now that I once more have a reliable car I can concentrate on my swimming and do my running and cycling indoors.

@wirralass
I was so lucky that my problems occurred on that hit or miss week. Since then it just hasn't stopped raining. Now that I once more have a reliable car I can concentrate on my swimming and do my running and cycling indoors.
Aha swimming ~ now there's a thought that I've been pondering on for a while but time to stop pondering and get to it methinks!
A good thing you built your indoor gym Chris and what a gym that is ~ I was absolutely amazed with your hard efforts and was very impressed at the time. Please post another photo for others to see in case they missed your initial thread.
WL

Well huhum! So much for walking 3252 steps today ~ the weather has changed for the worse so it's on with my personal motivator my fitbit to start walking in and around my home ~ later I shall walk away the miles with Leslie Samone. Hopefully I will over achieve.
WL

9 mile walk today in 3 stages and joining yoga class on 13th when it stars up

9 mile walk today in 3 stages and joining yoga class on 13th when it stars up
@Heath o Well done for walking 9miles instead of 11 Heath. How was your knee today?Good for you for signing up for Yoga sessions ~ amongst other things Yoga is good for our well being as @Martin Canty will advocate. You will let us know how you get on wont you? In the meantime take good care of that knee of yours🙂
WL

Last edited:
amongst other things Yoga is good for our well being as @Martin Canty will advocate
I have been a Yogi for over a year now, initially when I started I was having issues with Drop Foot & Neuropathy resulting in numbness in my left foot. At that time I was somewhat despondent as the prognosis was not good (never trust Dr. Google). It turned out that my issues were impinged spinal nerves in L4, L5 & S1. After PT & 4 months of yoga I could finally walk normally (though I still do have a little remaining numbness in my foot). Yoga helped me in this recovery.
As my practice has developed I not only feel fitter but started to get some muscle definition & have put on 5lb (assume muscle weight). Along with that I feel really good mentally after my practice. Currently I go about 4-5 times a week.
The downside is that I tend to push myself a lot resulting in pulled hamstring & shoulder.... Learned the hard way that pain is your friend, now I back-off when something hurts; just pushing to the point of discomfort instead of pain.

I have been a Yogi for over a year now, initially when I started I was having issues with Drop Foot & Neuropathy resulting in numbness in my left foot. At that time I was somewhat despondent as the prognosis was not good (never trust Dr. Google). It turned out that my issues were impinged spinal nerves in L4, L5 & S1. After PT & 4 months of yoga I could finally walk normally (though I still do have a little remaining numbness in my foot). Yoga helped me in this recovery.
As my practice has developed I not only feel fitter but started to get some muscle definition & have put on 5lb (assume muscle weight). Along with that I feel really good mentally after my practice. Currently I go about 4-5 times a week.
The downside is that I tend to push myself a lot resulting in pulled hamstring & shoulder.... Learned the hard way that pain is your friend, now I back-off when something hurts; just pushing to the point of discomfort instead of pain.
Good to hear from you Martin ~ I'm sure @Heath o will appreciate the content of your post as I do. Pleased to hear you perservered with Yoga, it was well worth it to achieve what you have which I take has made life more bearable so far as your foot is concerned. I've been saying for ages that I must make a point of joining a local Yoga group ~ now where did I put the Yellow Pages index.......

joining a local Yoga group ~ now where did I put the Yellow Pages index.......
Oh My😱.... Just did a quick google & you are spoiled for choice:D

Thanks Martin ~ there's 3 places I can look to find ~ but first a coffee.....
You're a gem Martin ~ I found the Yellow Pages Directory ~ just where I left it!🙄I've some ringing around to do tomorrow🙂
20180404_021118.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Martin and wirralass I got very lucky the yoga is straight facing my house at community centre how good is that

Nice to hear you health as improved not been to a proper yoga class before done about 1 month of kundalini yoga about 10 years ago that was just copying of health channel on Virgin this one's haha but really looking forward to it,congrats on your good work Martin keep it up

@Heath o Well done for walking 9miles instead of 11 Heath. How was your knee today?Good for you for signing up for Yoga sessions ~ amongst other things Yoga is good for our well being as @Martin Canty will advocate. You will let us know how you get on wont you? In the meantime take good care of that knee of yours🙂
WL
Knee was fine yesterday couple twinges but no popping out of place,looking forward to the yoga I'm a spiritual person anyway and meditate on daily basis it will do me good,cheers wirralass

Back