HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

Until this week, not a lot for the last 10 years lol, I really used to be into going to the gym, running, cycling, tap dancing, ceroc, then had a bad asthma attack and pneumonia, but on loads of weight with the steroids and never went back to regular exercise.

Catching up on this thread.
@Dave W hi ~ I love the above photo with its fantastic views ~ I imagine they would look even more spectacular covered in snow🙂
However, when health and weather permits do you still cycle 20-22miles or have you increased the mileage now ~ wondering if you see any wildlife on those hills. I expect the air is clean and refreshing up there too.
Hope you are keeping well Dave, take care.
WL
Hi! Yes I'm still doing about the same milage but rain, frost and snow have reduced opportunities to get out, in fact heavy drifting snow cut off our village for a couple of days. I've set myself a target of 1000 miles this year and despite not being able to get out as much as I'd like I've already done 211, so should easily hit my target. There's a fair bit of wildlife to be seen and being on a bike doesn't create a noise to disturb them. There's roe deer, buzzards they are fairly common, and a white tailed eagle occasionally to be seen. Recently I spotted a red squirrel which was nice to see.
I'm now starting to get busy in our garden where we grow a lot of veg, so that's providing me with a different type of exercise!

Until this week, not a lot for the last 10 years lol, I really used to be into going to the gym, running, cycling, tap dancing, ceroc, then had a bad asthma attack and pneumonia, but on loads of weight with the steroids and never went back to regular exercise.
Sorry to hear of your health problems Lorraine. Well you've made a start to improve your health now. The first steps are the hardest but you're on your way now. Good to see you're making an effort. The rewards are great as you weigh yourself each month ~ and see your bgs consistently lower than they have been🙂 My incentive is a calf length fitted evening black dress in a considerable smaller size and keep it hung up in my bedroom where I can see it to remind me of my goal. It didn't look too bad last time I tried it on but.....its the tummy bits:( that need improving before I'd even dare to go out in it. Working on this tho. Keep up the good work hun and please let us know how you're progressing.

Last edited:
Hi! Yes I'm still doing about the same milage but rain, frost and snow have reduced opportunities to get out, in fact heavy drifting snow cut off our village for a couple of days. I've set myself a target of 1000 miles this year and despite not being able to get out as much as I'd like I've already done 211, so should easily hit my target. There's a fair bit of wildlife to be seen and being on a bike doesn't create a noise to disturb them. There's roe deer, buzzards they are fairly common, and a white tailed eagle occasionally to be seen. Recently I spotted a red squirrel which was nice to see.
I'm now starting to get busy in our garden where we grow a lot of veg, so that's providing me with a different type of exercise!
Hi Dave. Good to hear you've made an impression on your target of 1K miles albeit a small one. I expect that once Spring and Summer deign to show, this will no doubt encourage you to get pedalling again to maintain better health.
I haven't done any exercise since my fall last year but I think its time to start thinking about it. As you know my fitbit is my motivator so I shall begin with walking more. I have given my old exercise bike to charity ~ it was taking up too much room and I don't have much space here to store it. However, I'm going to buy a smaller bike that can be folded down & stored behind my settee or under my bed when not in use. I've been promising myself for ages to resume swimming so I must make a concerted effort to keep my promise. It seems to be the best exercise for me ol' back!🙂 Stay in touch Dave with news of your cycle travels.

Last edited:
Hi Dave. Good to hear you've made an impression on your target of 1K miles albeit a small one. I expect that once Spring and Summer deign to show, this will no doubt encourage you to get pedalling again to maintain better health.
I haven't done any exercise since my fall last year but I think its time to start thinking about it. As you know my fitbit is my motivator so I shall begin with walking more. I have given my old exercise bike to charity ~ it was taking up too much room and I don't have much space here to store it. However, I'm going to buy a smaller bike that can be folded down & stored being my settee or under my bed when not in use. I've been promising myself for ages to resume swimming so I must make a concerted effort to keep my promise. It seems to be the best exercise for me ol' back!🙂 Stay in touch Dave with news of your cycle travels.
. I keep saying I am going to go swimming even bought a new costume, still has its price tag on it. M

Sorry to hear of your health problems Lorraine. Well you've made a start to improve your health now Lorraine. The first steps are the hardest but you're on your way now. Good to see you're making an effort. The rewards are great as you weigh yourself each month ~ and see your bgs consistently lower than they have been🙂 My incentive is a calf length evening black dress in a considerable smaller size and keep it hung up in my bedroom where I can see it to remind me of my goal. It didn't look too bad last time I tried it on but.....its the tummy bits:( that need imoroving before I'd even dare to go out in it. Working on this tho. Keep up the good work hun and please let us know how you're progressing.
Can't beat a lovely black dress.

. I keep saying I am going to go swimming even bought a new costume, still has its price tag on it. M
Take that price tag off Lorraine and nip to your local baths:D
My swimming costume is about 2yrs old but still looks as good as new. Think I'll try it on tonight to see if I can still fit into it ~ not holding my breath tho but watch this space! If it still fits then I suppose I'll have to take a leaf out of my own book and start swimming again! I might even join the Healthy Hearts group🙂

Last edited:
I'm doing lots of cycling just now due to car problems. I usually start doing the odd cycle commute around this time of year, taking careful notice of the weather forecasts. Unfortunately my old Saab 9-3 estate has started making noises. I dropped it off at the garage and cycled to work for a couple of days while it was being looked at. It appears that it isn't something cheap to fix like a wheel bearing but something in the gear box. It has now done 138,000 miles so it has had a good innings. It has now been traded, with full disclosure about the impending problems, for a 2012 Ssangyong Korando. I drove to work on Monday as I had to go to the dentist for a check up. On the way home the noise got worse and so I have been reluctant to drive it until I drop it off and pick up the Korando on Friday. Despite the weather being really changeable I have managed to do eight bike rides to and from work and have not been rained on once.

Sorry to hear of your health problems Lorraine. Well you've made a start to improve your health now Lorraine. The first steps are the hardest but you're on your way now. Good to see you're making an effort. The rewards are great as you weigh yourself each month ~ and see your bgs consistently lower than they have been🙂 My incentive is a calf length evening black dress in a considerable smaller size and keep it hung up in my bedroom where I can see it to remind me of my goal. It didn't look too bad last time I tried it on but.....its the tummy bits:( that need imoroving before I'd even dare to go out in it. Working on this tho. Keep up the good work hun and please let us know how you're progressing.
Hi. When I was 50 I graduated at uni and bought a beautiful deep blue long fitted dress for graduation ball. Felt a million dollars and kept it hanging on my wardrobe as motivator to loose weight. Didn’t work so charity shop when I moved house. Now it would be maybe 3 sizes too big due to D and meds. Still have the photo though of me in it

Oh, and I have an exercise aversion. My twist n shape thingy is still a stand for my trainers. Must exercise...must exercise...must exercise...

I'm doing lots of cycling just now due to car problems. I usually start doing the odd cycle commute around this time of year, taking careful notice of the weather forecasts. Unfortunately my old Saab 9-3 estate has started making noises. I dropped it off at the garage and cycled to work for a couple of days while it was being looked at. It appears that it isn't something cheap to fix like a wheel bearing but something in the gear box. It has now done 138,000 miles so it has had a good innings. It has now been traded, with full disclosure about the impending problems, for a 2012 Ssangyong Korando. I drove to work on Monday as I had to go to the dentist for a check up. On the way home the noise got worse and so I have been reluctant to drive it until I drop it off and pick up the Korando on Friday. Despite the weather being really changeable I have managed to do eight bike rides to and from work and have not been rained on once.
Hurrah! Good for you AND the planet!

Oh, and I have an exercise aversion. My twist n shape thingy is still a stand for my trainers. Must exercise...must exercise...must exercise...
Well then leave that twist n shape thingy where it is @Carolg and treat yourself to one or both of the following DVD's. Start walking daily in your living room with Leslie Samone ~ it's great fun and the pounds will slowly fall off :~ www.amazon.co
20170624_102323.jpg

Last edited:
2 hour walk with dogs and today done some yoga,jogging and boxing on wii fit

2 hour walk with dogs and today done some yoga,jogging and boxing on wii fit
My word you have been busy Heath. Owning dogs gives rise to taking it walkies which in turn is exercise for you ~ gets you out ~ maybe two or three times daily? Unfortunately I don't own such a pet, not allowed pets where I live ~ I have to walk an imaginary dog which is just as well coz it saves me buying poop bags!🙄:D
Keep up the good work Heath.

My word you have been busy Heath. Owning dogs gives rise to taking it walkies which in turn is exercise for you ~ gets you out ~ maybe two or three times daily? Unfortunately I don't own such a pet, not allowed pets where I live ~ I have to walk an imaginary dog which is just as well coz it saves me buying poop bags!🙄:D
Keep up the good work Heath.
Yes to German shepherds have to take out separately so even if feel unmotivated they make sure I get my daily exercise,lol

Yes to German shepherds have to take out separately so even if feel unmotivated they make sure I get my daily exercise,lol
Ps I hope your imaginary dog doesn't play up wirralass you would look a bit silly.lol

Ps I hope your imaginary dog doesn't play up wirralass you would look a bit silly.lol
Haha:D I don't pick up imaginary poop if that's what you mean🙄 and I haven't reached the point where my arm is outstretched & I'm running like a mad woman almost tripping up as if a dog is pulling on the lead😱 I hope it wont come to that ~ if it does then thats the time for the men in white coats to come and take me away!!🙄:D:D

One of my dogs used to drag me just adds to the exercise not to bad now he's on an harness mither the mrs for 10 year for German Shepherd told her was going to buy one one day while she was out,came home from work one day she told me she ordered two,best things ever bought should sneak a dog in your place will change your life

Back