HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

Because nowadays it is an indoor pursuit, I tend to work on my swimming during the winter. Getting up and going out in the dark is something that you have to do anyway once the nights have really drawn in. I love driving on empty roads, I get to do this every morning when I'm heading off to the pool at 05:30.

Regarding weight loss, I think that all exercise has to help, you tend to put on weight by taking in more energy than you burn off, the more you burn off the better. of course everyone's metabolism is different so it is nowhere near that simple. It should also be noted that you can improve your figure without actually becoming lighter just by turning fat into muscle.

Mrs. C, please try to keep up the swimming, it is a really brilliant all round exercise. I would also really recommend getting a gadget like those mentioned further up this thread. they are really brilliant for giving encouragement and keeping you motivated.

[Edit]
I've just remembered that I wrote a post about swimming last winter.
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/semi-aquatic-mamil.65107/

Last edited:
I can't get to a pool or gym as it would involve a 20 mile round-trip but I have started cycling again and am trying to push up the miles on my e-bike. I've done almost 30 miles since Saturday when I did a 15.8 mile circuit in the local hills that involved a pretty steep climb (and a very enjoyable descent!). Yesterday I did a quick 5.4 mile, mainly off road, run after dinner just to see how it affected my post-prandial BS. BS was 7 before the meal and was still 7 two hours later and usually I get a rise of about 2 after a meal. Today I did a 8.5 mile return sprint to a loacl garden centre to buy some lettuce and rocket seeds.
I'm not trying to shed weight, but do want to build some muscle and improve circulation in my legs

Yes, the Tomtom watch is waterproof as it has a swim lap counter as one of its features. I'm not quite sure how the lap counter works, it seems to take into account your arm movements and your change of direction at each end. It doesn't count if you are using a kick board. The default setting is for a 25 metre pool but you can change it to do different sized pools if needed.

In addition to swimming it has settings for running, cycling, treadmill, gym work, indoor cycling and walking. There is also a stopwatch and a built in heart rate monitor. You can also programme your target times into it, although I don't find the information that it then displays that useful really. It is just as effective to write your target times on your wrist or on your drinks bottle. The battery life isn't sufficient for doing an ironman although apparently Jan Frodeno said that he had no problem with his.

If you just want a sports watch for swimming you can get poolmate watches:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_8?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=poolmate+swimming+watch&sprefix=poolmate,aps,148&crid=1OVXAQZTM0O73
Thanks for sharing the link Chris

Liz and I did the Gilberdyke 10 mile run today. Liz didn't do too well, she said it was too hot and she didn't drink enough on the course and got slightly dehydrated. I was happier as I managed to get in under 1:21 knocking more that two minutes off last year's time.This is a PB both for the course and for the distance. Next year will be an age group birthday for me but I still have no chance of winning anything as the winners in the next age group up from me were doing it in about 1:08. There certainly are some seriously fast old codgers out there. It seems a little odd that my performance always looks a bit rubbish when I look at the age group results but better when I look at my placing overall.

Edit
I've now checked the results page.
Chris, age group 55-59 position 13/35. Overall position 154/454.
Liz, age group 50-54 position 20/24. Overall position 428/454.

Last edited:
It's a common issue, @Chris Hobson, particularly in endurance sports. Older people have the experience, and those who were compatriots in younger years who have had problems have given up by their age.

I don't think that I do too badly as I only started running at a slightly serious level about four years ago. I seem to have at least some talent for it, which suggests that I might have been quite good at it if I had started at a younger age. It isn't that big a deal to me, more important is that I enjoy doing it and that I am still improving despite getting older.

I'm hoping some one else will soon post something about their activities and exploits, at present it looks as though I am hogging the thread a bit. Anyway, I've just done the first ABP Half Marathon at Cleethorpes. Once again I set a new PB, just inside 1:47 and just under two minutes inside my previous best for the distance. I could probably do better still if only I could get the pacing right. My plan was to run 8:20 miles which would have taken me inside my previous best. Instead I ran eight minute miles for the first ten and then hung on by ignoring the pain for the remaining three. Rewards for finishing were an event tee shirt, a finishers medal, a stick of seaside rock with 'Well Done' written all the way through it, and a ticket entitling me to a free ice cream.

Uploading the event from my GPS watch into the computer I get a little gold cup for my fastest half marathon. I have also exceeded my daily ten thousand steps quota, 26 thousand steps today.

I got an Apple Watch and ensure I never go below 30 minutes a day. It stops me from being lazy, and reminds me to stand up and move. It normally says 800-100kcal and 30-60 minutes exercise depending how active I am that day, but I eat more on active days, as one should do.

I currently do 100 press-ups, and 150-200 squats (I started with only doing 1-2 max, I was in really bad shape) and 30 minutes intermittent fast slow running.

I also like swimming when possible, and would like to start cycling again, if and when I fix my bike 🙂

One thing I have noticed is my blood goes very low on long workouts high 3s(but never lower), and feel it sometimes. it goes back up again to 4s but slowly. I guess I need to eat more carbs or something.

Going to do ROC mountain marathon in SW Lake District in a couple of weeks. 2 days navigating, on foot, carrying camping kit for Saturday night and all food for the weekend, all of which will be as lightweight as possible.

I downloaded the Active 10 app which records my brisk walking and has motivated me to do at least 30 minutes every day for three weeks. Today I am going back to Pilates for the first time after breaking my ribs. My body creaks and hurts and know I will find it difficult but desperate to get back to my flexibility and strength. I have found a restorative yoga class too. My second frozen shoulder has got worse due to my fall so limited with exercise.
I do feel good I am doing the walking!

I got an Apple Watch and ensure I never go below 30 minutes a day. It stops me from being lazy, and reminds me to stand up and move. It normally says 800-100kcal and 30-60 minutes exercise depending how active I am that day, but I eat more on active days, as one should do.

I currently do 100 press-ups, and 150-200 squats (I started with only doing 1-2 max, I was in really bad shape) and 30 minutes intermittent fast slow running.

I also like swimming when possible, and would like to start cycling again, if and when I fix my bike 🙂

One thing I have noticed is my blood goes very low on long workouts high 3s(but never lower), and feel it sometimes. it goes back up again to 4s but slowly. I guess I need to eat more carbs or something.
Hmmmm, do I smell a potential triathlete?

I'm hoping some one else will soon post something about their activities and exploits, at present it looks as though I am hogging the thread a bit.
On Thursday I'm going to get out Mum's pusher, put the Garmin round my neck and go for two miles...fingers x. It'll kill me but needs must. I will start doing this every morning that I can. Can't start tomorrow, have to go into town. 🙂

I'm a little out of sorts at present so I'm not doing my daily walks in accordance with my fitbit.
@Ditto ~ well done for taking the initiative ~ remember to take a walk after each meal too even if its only for 10~15mins to begin with. Good luck & happy walking!:D x

On Thursday I'm going to get out Mum's pusher, put the Garmin round my neck and go for two miles...fingers x. It'll kill me but needs must. I will start doing this every morning that I can. Can't start tomorrow, have to go into town. 🙂

Well done! Once you start and get into it, and see the results, you never want to stop.

Here is my exercise I've just completed( it was all indoor, as I did not have the time for outside or gym today) but same results.
Before breakfast 4.9, about 2 hours after eating I did 80 press-ups, 100 squats, and 15 minutes running on the spot, then rested for a little, checked my blood: 3.7. It may sound low, but it always goes back up to mid 4s, as my liver releases glucose to keep me from going too low.

The point I'm making is, never give up on exercise, it's very powerful, and if you're able, do it. I suffer from EB, and so it's always painful and makes blisters, but I keep going no matter, as I don't want to go back to my old self.

Still not started! I have been moving though, hither and thither. I'm thinking do my walk first thing before I wake up and start thinking about it. o_O

Still not started! I have been moving though, hither and thither. I'm thinking do my walk first thing before I wake up and start thinking about it. o_O
I find exercise just for the sake of it very tedious and try to build it in by walking or cycling somewhere instead of using other methods of transport. If it's too far then I walk eg to a further bus stop than I need to. Is this something you could try, if motivation is difficult?

I'm quite well motivated anyway but I do find that booking organised runs or triathlon events in advance is a great motivator. Once you have booked an event you have no choice but to train for it. I have also learned from experience that when you really don't feel like training but do it anyway, you feel really great afterwards. I also use my bike for commuting which keeps me fit and saves money. It has been quite a challenge during this particular summer due to the changeable weather.

I find exercise just for the sake of it very tedious and try to build it in by walking or cycling somewhere instead of using other methods of transport. If it's too far then I walk eg to a further bus stop than I need to. Is this something you could try, if motivation is difficult?
I do prefer to work it into my day, like back in the day I walked miles, to and from work, but now I'll have to work it into walking to the shops... 🙂

Starting exercise is never easy, and for me took a lot of sacrifice, dedication and motivation each and every day for months doing hard HIIT workouts.
I was highly determined to succeed in reversing it no matter the pain I was in due to hip and joint problems because of being obese for years and having EB.

I strongly believe that all things are possible, so never give up on exercise, as it's an amazing tool in fighting type 2 diabetes.

Back