HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

I started doing a weights routine after learning that muscle to fat ratio is important for diabetics. I have to admit that there is a certain amount of vanity involved as well. I find that the routine doesn't really get me out of breath that much, I do get a bit of a sweat on though. I use running cycling and swimming to get myself out of breath and to get my heart rate up. I generally do the weights routine every third day but have cut it out over the past six weeks or so because I've had to concentrate on my triathlon training so much.

Yoga is my go-to...... Walking the dogs, thought I do it most days, has been cut back in distance as my eldest tires easily....

Depends what I'm doing on a day but as I have a fit bit. I have managed to do 10,000 steps back at college. I manage to do like 17,000 steps if I'm playing football, or basketball in a park with my friend. It's weekends when I've not managed to do many.

Depends what I'm doing on a day but as I have a fit bit. I have managed to do 10,000 steps back at college. I manage to do like 17,000 steps if I'm playing football, or basketball in a park with my friend. It's weekends when I've not managed to do many.
Hello young lady - as your profile name is Erm rather long - do you mind if I call you DW? I've recently started using a fitbit and it's great. Considering my exercise was limited - exercise bike only - this little piece of technology is my motivator - I'm managing to achieve 5K steps daily to begin with - and that's without leaving my home!!! Tho by the time I walked back from the supermarket last evening, my fitbit told me I was an over achiever - drum roll please :D

Well done & keep up the good work with the assistance of your fitbit. One of our posters recently achieved 45K steps during a working day event - so maybe this example will encourage both of us to *step up* our targets. Take care.
WL

Last edited:
I don't do as much as people on here. I do Zumba twice a week in the morning as I am retired now. Pilates once a week. I do my best to have a little walk after breakfast, lunch and evening meal. At weekends sometimes we walk a bit more. If I watch something pre recorded on the TV I have started putting the remote across the other side of the room so that I have to get up to fetch it at advert time to fast forward. I have a bit of exercise with my housework, shopping etc. I walked up to our town on Friday which was about 35 minutes. I have a Fitbit and do my best to do more than 6,000 steps a day, many more when on holiday.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough room for an exercise bike unless I can find a small one.

I will walk the 15 mins to our metro tram stop as much as possible and, if it is possible to walk somewhere in that it is not miles away, I will.

Hi folks - yesterday (Wed) I was in a positive frame of mind and encouraged by my new fitbit I managed 7221 steps (it won't let me sit for too long & buzzes me to 'take a stroll')😉

With my 60's music to step to I walked & danced 3.09 miles and burned off 1729 calories in 48mins without leaving my home! This is a huge achievement for me and my fitbit app messaged me to say I am an over achiever and that I was 2221 steps over my daily goal of 5K steps then went on to say that I've earned myself a Marathon Badge! Yeah! :DThen i received a notification that said 'Way to go! Your 48min walk was recognised by SmartTrack":D All very encouraging.

What I achieved yesterday was amazing for me considering the only exercise I could do prior to having a fitbit was to pedal away on my exercise bike for 20 - 30mins if that and the occasional 10mins walk to the Supermarket. You see its me old back hips & knees that hold me back sometimes :(Today (Thurs) I only walked 1585 steps - but hope to improve on this tomorrow (Fri)
Thanks for *listening* folks whilst I blew my own trumpet🙄

Last edited:
I don't do as much as people on here. I do Zumba twice a week in the morning as I am retired now. Pilates once a week. I do my best to have a little walk after breakfast, lunch and evening meal. At weekends sometimes we walk a bit more. If I watch something pre recorded on the TV I have started putting the remote across the other side of the room so that I have to get up to fetch it at advert time to fast forward. I have a bit of exercise with my housework, shopping etc. I walked up to our town on Friday which was about 35 minutes. I have a Fitbit and do my best to do more than 6,000 steps a day, many more when on holiday.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough room for an exercise bike unless I can find a small one.

I will walk the 15 mins to our metro tram stop as much as possible and, if it is possible to walk somewhere in that it is not miles away, I will.
@Maz2 - it doesn't matter how much or how little you exercise - we each do what we are able to - and from what you say I would hardly call you a couch potato - your Pilates Zumba and walks after meals will help towards keeping yourself active - and also contribute to keeping your bgls in range, well done x

Hi folks - yesterday (Wed) I was in a positive frame of mind and encouraged by my new fitbit I managed 7221 steps (it won't let me sit for too long & buzzes me to 'take a stroll')😉

With my 60's music to step to I walked & danced 3.09 miles and burned off 1729 calories in 48mins without leaving my home! This is a huge achievement for me and my fitbit app messaged me to say I am an over achiever and that I was 2221 steps over my daily goal of 5K steps then went on to say that I've earned myself a Marathon Badge! Yeah! :DThen i received a notification that said 'Way to go! Your 48min walk was recognised by SmartTrack":D All very encouraging.

What I achieved yesterday was amazing for me considering the only exercise I could do prior to having a fitbit was to pedal away on my exercise bike for 20 - 30mins if that and the occasional 10mins walk to the Supermarket. You see its me old back hips & knees that hold me back sometimes :(Today (Thurs) I only walked 1585 steps - but hope to improve on this tomorrow (Fri)
Thanks for *listening* folks whilst I blew my own trumpet🙄
Wow, you are incredible! Wel done and so inspiring to read,your Fitbit is that encouraging. Good luck with today and maybe another badge. :D🙂

I was happy with a seven mile walk on Sunday and have booked five consecutive Pilates classes the week after next. Slight moan that I have back pain from yesterday and so did less but will soon bounce back. Next week I am living in a tent and sure I Will be very active, camping near a river so will swim. I have a interesting stroke now as second frozen shoulder makes it hard but I do move. :D

Wow, you are incredible! Wel done and so inspiring to read,your Fitbit is that encouraging. Good luck with today and maybe another badge. :D🙂
Thank you NJ 🙂 Incredible? Oooo you give me too much credit but it was fun - I didnt know how many steps I'd walked until I checked the FB App after I collapsed! :D Collapsed with surprise - and joy at my first 'long distance' walk!!!🙂 My FB is a real motivator :D x

Last edited:
I was happy with a seven mile walk on Sunday and have booked five consecutive Pilates classes the week after next. Slight moan that I have back pain from yesterday and so did less but will soon bounce back. Next week I am living in a tent and sure I Will be very active, camping near a river so will swim. I have a interesting stroke now as second frozen shoulder makes it hard but I do move. :D
You did very well walking 7 miles NJ but sorry to read your back subsequently suffered from it - camping is not my scene but I do hope you have an enjoyable week and that the weather is kind to you. To give your back & shoulders a rest when swimming in the river (lucky you🙂) have you not tried floating on your back and kicking your feet to propel you through the water - and at the same time move your hands slowly in a figure 8 (mindful of your shoulders here). If this causes your shoulders distress then pleeeze don't try it. Have a great week x

I googled Zumba and learned it is a dance fitness program created by Columbian dancer & choreographer Albert "Beto" Perez during the 1990's. An interesting form of exercise - & fun I imagine 🙂.

Good for you for booking 5 consecutive Pilates classes NJ - I have to say I've not tried Pilates yet - I believe it's a good form of exercise - I'll jot it down on my to do list - do let us know how you get on wont you. x

Yoga is my go-to...... Walking the dogs, thought I do it most days, has been cut back in distance as my eldest tires easily....
I practiced yoga years ago Martin - it was a regular part of my daily routine - could do the stomach roll (not a nice sight to see🙄) but only managed the half lotus not the full. I followed Richard Hittleman's yoga if my memory serves me right - still have his book somewhere - I must root it out - perhaps try to get back into the swing of it again.
Hope you are well Martin & that life is treating you as kindly as it can - I know that you make a great effort to bring diabetes awareness to your community, good for you, take care x

Last edited:
Thanks WL.... Pushed yoga up to 3-4 sessions a week...
An unfulfilled promise to myself is to ride my bike daily. I should put some air in those tires (which was my excuse), especially now that Shelby has shortened our walks a little more.

Another thing I do is volunteer at the local shooting range a couple of days a month, not much in the form of active exercise but it does get me on my feet for 6 hours at a time, particularly good for me as I work at a desk all week & unlike a regular office working at home does tend to limit the amount of walking one would do in a normal office environment.

My Search & Rescue activities have been curtailed this year as I'm avoiding carrying a pack until I'm sure my back is well healed. Training's & missions are other forms of exercise I would get a month.

Now's your chance Martin - go put air in those tyres pronto & start pedalling:Dyou can still enjoy shorter walks with Shelby when you're not cycling - yoga cycling & walking is the new way to go:D x

Back