HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

I do prefer to work it into my day, like back in the day I walked miles, to and from work, but now I'll have to work it into walking to the shops... 🙂
That's what I do in the summer hols. I deliberately shop for a day or two at a time as I have the time to do it almost every day. The only exercise I do which doesn't serve another purpose is swimming in the holidays because I actually enjoy it!

I average well over 10000 steps a day, btw.

I do over 10000 steps a day dog walking,also cycle and swim. My back and arthritic knee are killing me, but I do it in the name of good health. This frustrates the GP's because they always want to tell you off for not doing something !

I know that feeling. I had to push through it, even with blisters and skin coming of from EB. It may sound like madness, even my wife used to say "Just stop, and ask the doctor for diabetic medication like your mum"
I used to say "no, my goal is reversal not control via medication or diet", and thank God I did do it, but I will say, it's not easy, and after my success, my mother went for a hip transplant and quickly started on what I did, and this week has just come off all medication after 20 years of being type 2. I'm not sure if she will fully reverse it at her age, but just coming off the medication is amazing for her.

My point being, never ever give up!

I've had a bad day... My Apple Watch died this morning :'( So I had to remember to exercise without it, and felt strange, but blood glucose was still 3.7 after workout...but will replace it asap to stop me from becoming lazy again, and going back to my old ways.

I've got to get walking!

Excerpt / Page 288 Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution---UNDERSTANDING HEALTH AND WELL-BEING

...from tennis to gardening---had a twenty to thirty percent reduced risk of dying from all causes when compared to those with less-active lifestyles. And those who had even greater calorie expenditures reduced their risk still further.

Exercise comes with another subtle but powerful health benefit: By now, you understand the dangers of insulin resistance and the importance of curbing the overproduction of insulin. (If you don't, refer to Chapter 5 for a refresher!) Regular exercise results in a more efficient use of glucose at the cellular level, and this in turn reduces the output of insulin by the pancreas. It's just plain healthy to get moving.

Finally, many studies have shown that regular exercise appears to elevate mood and reduce depression and anxiety...in a Swedish study of thirty-four hundred people, those who exercised at least two to three times a week showed significantly less depression, anger, "cynical distrust" and stress than did people who exercised less frequently or not at all. The frequent exercisers also showed higher levels of coherence and stronger feelings of social integration. Sounds good, doesn't it? And as if those benefits aren't enough in themselves, think about how often those feelings of depression or anger are the ones that lead you to overeat . You'll kill two birds with one stone if you can reduce them.

Disease Prevention

Physical activity has important positive effects on virtually all of the body's systems: musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory and endocrine. These effects result in reduced risks of coronary heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, colon cancer and Type II diabetes. As more exercise and disease research accumulates, we'll likely find many other conditions that may be prevented with regular exercise.

Probably the most compelling evidence out there has to do with exercise's ability to help our hearts: In the famous Honolulu Heart Program study of twenty-six hundred men ages 71 to 93, researchers found a fifteen percent decrease in risk of heart disease for every half mile walked per day. The ...

Yesterday I ran the Hull marathon with a new PB of 4:21:34. It was a beautiful day, some were complaining that it was too hot but I was OK as I don't mind the heat. My overall position was 463/857 but this number doesn't include the relay teams, quite a few of whom I beat as well. I was exactly half way in my age group, 23/46 which I'm pretty pleased with, especially as, being 59, I am now at the top end of it. Having said that, the winner of my age group came in just inside three hours, that is faster than my best pace for a 5K park run. Next weekend is the Goole sprint triathlon and then I'm finished for this year. My plan is then to keep cycling to work until the weather gets too crappy and then to resume working on my swimming.

When I am home - Gym or cardio at home three times a week if I can, and because I have no more cartilage in my knees I do rehab stretches pretty much every day. I detest simply walking for no purpose. So I just don't do it. Because my gym has one of the excellent Woodway curve treadmills (not motorised - you power it youself so you have to really run at a quite a click), I am breaking down the Couch to 5K sessions and I do those and build up gradually. I replicate that (after a little recovery) on a spin bike which is by far the best rehab for my knees. Then I swim with a pullbuoy between my knees as it can hurt to push off the wall or kick, and just use my arms for more of a cardio session in the pool.

When I am away... if I am feeling flush and have got a hotel with a gym, then while my jetlag dominates, I usually run on a treadmill. If I am being a skinflint and generally when I am in Europe, I try and get an Airbnb where I have to walk to the metro, and then to the tournament. Occasionally though (like for the last tournie of the year at the O2) the local hotel does not have a gym but it's a good stroll to the venue if it is not chucking it down with rain.

I also found a couple of Tai Chi YouTube videos after a frustratingly bad attempt to join an obviously pre-existing class at the Gym which I might pilot at my last two tournaments of the year. Will let you know how those go!

I only walk from an to work and to make errands. I've tried the 5BX plan but I never found a good time slot to stick to it, and i find the stationary run a tad boring.

Liz and I did the Goole sprint triathlon today. Neither of us managed a PB this time. I beat last year's time but in 2015 I did it inside 1:16. The damp and breezy conditions were against us and we did it only a week after taking part in the Hull Marathon. On the other hand, we have both upgraded to carbon framed bikes and the run course had to be re-routed due to it being too muddy and was about half a k too short. Out on the cycle course some kind of insect flew into a vent on my helmet and stung me on the head, so I'm writing this with a throbby lump on my bonce.

I'm gradually introducing walking again following my fall when I injured my right shoulder and caused bruised ribs.
Yesterday 11.11.17 I achieved walking 4004 steps:D in 1.67 miles and burned off 1589 calories:D Thats a lot of steps for me atm (I only take short steps!)
So I'm pretty pleased with my effort.
The day before this, 10.11.17 I could only manage 1649 steps in 0.69miles and burned off 1445 calories.
Slowly but surely.🙂

I'm gradually introducing walking again following my fall when I injured my right shoulder and caused bruised ribs.
Yesterday 11.11.17 I achieved walking 4004 steps:D in 1.67 miles and burned off 1589 calories:D Thats a lot of steps for me atm (I only take short steps!)
So I'm pretty pleased with my effort.
The day before this, 10.11.17 I could only manage 1649 steps in 0.69miles and burned off 1445 calories.
Slowly but surely.🙂
Hi Wirralass, well done on the increased step count!
Just wondering what you are using for your calories burned figure as it seems awfully low?

Hi Wirralass, well done on the increased step count!
Just wondering what you are using for your calories burned figure as it seems awfully low?
My motivator fitbit calculates all details for me ~ what do you think I should have burned off if you don't mind me asking?

I
My motivator fitbit calculates all details for me ~ what do you think I should have burned off if you don't mind me asking?
It does depend on a few factors such as weight and age plus how active you are but I was just going by my own basal metabolic rate (BMR) which according to my body composition scales is about 1400 calories if I lie in bed all day (age 55 weight 63 kg).
You can work out your estimated BMR on sites like this http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ but your Fitbit should do this if you have set it up with all your details. Then you multiply by different factors depending on whether you’re sedentary or active, or probably what your Fitbit does is estimate how much you burn based on the activity it detects.
If you’re a petite person that would explain why the figures seem a bit low compared with mine.
Edited to say that the link I posted gives my BMR as 1321 but my body fat might be slightly lower than average for a person of my age because of cycling every day.

Thanks Radders ~ I have to admit I'm not very active at all at the moment, still suffering injuries from my fall ~ haven't a clue how I managed to walk the 4004 steps that I did yesterday but made the effort. Yes all my details were entered into the Fitbit app so I leave it up to my Fitbit to do its maths 🙂 but thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Peripheral arterial disease limits how far I can now walk, but I've discovered that I can cycle and have set a target of 20 miles per week minimum on my e-bike. I use minimal and often zero assist and am really enjoying being able to explore our local area.
Last week I did an off road crossing of our local hills (4 miles) as part of a 22 mile round trip in 2 hours 20 mins and it was a pretty hilly expedition. Pretty chuffed at the age of 71!
upload_2017-11-20_21-2-28.png

Peripheral arterial disease limits how far I can now walk, but I've discovered that I can cycle and have set a target of 20 miles per week minimum on my e-bike. I use minimal and often zero assist and am really enjoying being able to explore our local area.
Last week I did an off road crossing of our local hills (4 miles) as part of a 22 mile round trip in 2 hours 20 mins and it was a pretty hilly expedition. Pretty chuffed at the age of 71!
View attachment 5647
And so you should be proud of yourself ~ Well done Dave. Was this on the e-bike you recommended to me?

And so you should be proud of yourself ~ Well done Dave. Was this on the e-bike you recommended to me?
Yes, same one, and I was really pleased to see the battery was still showing well over a 50% charge when I got home. The ride into the hills was just great and I'd spectacular views out in the middle of nowhere.

Catching up on this thread.
@Dave W hi ~ I love the above photo with its fantastic views ~ I imagine they would look even more spectacular covered in snow🙂
However, when health and weather permits do you still cycle 20-22miles or have you increased the mileage now ~ wondering if you see any wildlife on those hills. I expect the air is clean and refreshing up there too.
Hope you are keeping well Dave, take care.
WL

Back