Group 7-day waking average?

Good morning 6.4 at 4am as this usually is 2 higher than accu chex thats why i was feeling low. Just went back to bed. up now its back up to 8 so thst would average 6 on accu monitor. So i believe my liver dumps a bit of sugar to get me up.
I might be able to get strips today although i am still thinking a CGM might tell me the time my body dumps sugar as once it does I can wait longer to eat . Maybe get an idea when its best to eat.

Good morning 6.4 at 4am as this usually is 2 higher than accu chex thats why i was feeling low. Just went back to bed. up now its back up to 8 so thst would average 6 on accu monitor. So i believe my liver dumps a bit of sugar to get me up.
I might be able to get strips today although i am still thinking a CGM might tell me the time my body dumps sugar as once it does I can wait longer to eat . Maybe get an idea when its best to eat.
Great result this morning! Hope it has given you some encouragement. As regards waiting longer to eat, many people find that eating something small and low carb as soon as they wake up shuts off this function of the liver dumping glucose and waiting longer to eat means it just keeps churning out more and levels keep climbing. I think a few brazil nuts by the bed was the preferred snack for the people discussing it.

Personally I think a Libre might stress you as it often exaggerates the peaks after eating and you do seem to get quite anxious when your levels are higher than you would like. The 2 hour finger prick test is usually showing your level after it has peaked and is coming down, so seeing that it peaks higher before that may worry you. Also, you can get compression lows, where it gives a false low reading from lying on it and you might get anxious that you are having a hypo when you are not. Even if you find out when your Dawn Phenomenon kicks in, there may not be a lot you can do about it. Some of us find that just getting up to the loo in the middle of the night can trigger it. If you were on insulin, it would be another matter as it would be helping to keep you safe, but as someone who appears to suffer anxiety and is not on medication, I am not sure you have anything to gain and potentially more to fret about..... Just my thoughts based on your posts.

Morning all. 6.0 for me. Finally seeing improvements from basal tweaks so taking a reasonable waking number as a win! Maybe had a unicorn day, hard to tell on the dexcom reader screen and it doesn't do 24h reporting. Not saying it was a great one but between the lines. 😉

Congrats @eggyg <3

Morning

7.1 cough and cold still in full swing, saw nurse yesterday, didn’t lose any weight, didn’t think I would after being on holiday and not bothering with what I am eating at the moment, I have no desire for meals just comforting snacks like crisps and lots of cuppa soup with the odd ice cream thrown in for good measure. Anyway she got a doctor to listen to my chest, apparently my lunch’s are clear, so didn’t want to prescribe antibiotics just yet, wants me to give it another week or so to see if it improves on its own, just to use my reliever inhaler to help with the wheezing which is largely in my throat. Docs main advice was rest and plenty of fluids, but after being off for 2 months at the end of last year beginning of this year and on leave last week, I am too embarrassed to ring in sick.

@eggyg - congratulations to you and your family on the wonderful news.

@ColinUK - congratulations on another HS.

@Nayshiftin I would agree with @rebrascora ’s points! 🙂

The number of times I’ve written “Don’t panic! Wait & see!” In my libre logbook entries, must make my DSN laugh, as I found myself overreacting, panicking & being too quick & heavy handed trying to fix higher or lower readings when EVERYTHING has changed for me but, I had all this past experience of the way things used to be! 🙄😳:D

But, I needed the libre to see those changes & now learning the way thing are NOW! BUT, I’m STILL writing down quite a lot “Don’t panic! Wait & see”! 🙄:rofl:

The number of times I’ve written “Don’t panic! Wait & see!” In my libre logbook entries, must make my DSN laugh
Made me laugh! I love that you write it in the notes though because it shows that you are taking it into consideration and also reinforces it to yourself just writing it down. Great idea!

@Nayshiftin I would agree with @rebrascora ’s points! 🙂

The number of times I’ve written “Don’t panic! Wait & see!” In my libre logbook entries, must make my DSN laugh, as I found myself overreacting, panicking & being too quick & heavy handed trying to fix higher or lower readings when EVERYTHING has changed for me but, I had all this past experience of the way things used to be! 🙄😳:D

But, I needed the libre to see those changes & now learning the way thing are NOW! BUT, I’m STILL writing down quite a lot “Don’t panic! Wait & see”! 🙄:rofl:
I am only on food i am not medicating so its more informed choice rather than using it to sort out insulin of jelly baby episides.

Last edited:
Great result this morning! Hope it has given you some encouragement. As regards waiting longer to eat, many people find that eating something small and low carb as soon as they wake up shuts off this function of the liver dumping glucose and waiting longer to eat means it just keeps churning out more and levels keep climbing. I think a few brazil nuts by the bed was the preferred snack for the people discussing it.

Personally I think a Libre might stress you as it often exaggerates the peaks after eating and you do seem to get quite anxious when your levels are higher than you would like. The 2 hour finger prick test is usually showing your level after it has peaked and is coming down, so seeing that it peaks higher before that may worry you. Also, you can get compression lows, where it gives a false low reading from lying on it and you might get anxious that you are having a hypo when you are not. Even if you find out when your Dawn Phenomenon kicks in, there may not be a lot you can do about it. Some of us find that just getting up to the loo in the middle of the night can trigger it. If you were on insulin, it would be another matter as it would be helping to keep you safe, but as someone who appears to suffer anxiety and is not on medication, I am not sure you have anything to gain and potentially more to fret about..... Just my thoughts based on your posts.
Thank you. I don’t know how many times my liver dumps in s day . Certain foods even low carb definitely swing much higher one day than another. My thought behind this is my liver dumps more if i don't eat. I think black n white writing does not give the true me. As it
does not others.
I know what i can and cannot do and I am doing well .
I did have an extremely high for me and because i am not doing as i am told at the surgery i do need this to work.
So i am turning every stone i can to get there.
Some say eat 20g or less carbs is the only way. I disagree as I cannot eat that low. ive had a muffin and twi coffees today so I am 7.6 carbs already. Lunch and dinner possibly pushes me over 30g.
So its more to see when sugar does dump so i can eAt before that happens.
ive never had a hypo except when it was not. However I found out that yes when low carb kicjs in it can give you hypo like symptoms and i had rested which was the best thing to do. i ate when it went down to 3 and it went up that time in eating .
So i was fine to go out.
The diet and me are doing fine.
Long term i do not know how to progress. i need to know but i need to find myself out.
i do not want medication, others here need it, I might avoid it if i can sort my rhythm out hence this might help.
I think rather than be called an anxious wreck ill stop posting.
ive asked questions had goid answers but the gossip on how you see me offends.

@Nayshiftin
Your liver is constantly releasing glucose (everybody's does) but it releases a bit more in the morning to give you energy for the day ahead and usually less between 1 and 3am when you are in your deepest sleep but varies throughout the day with how much it releases and will release more when get stressed or are ill, but there is always a fairly constant release (which is why we those of us on insulin have basal/slow release insulin. The exception to this release of glucose by the liver is when you eat and the act of eating I believe is supposed to switch it off.... hence having a few low carb nuts as soon as you wake up to help stop the rise in the morning. That may work or it may not. It depends on how your body is malfunctioning to cause your diabetes. It may be that the triggers and messages between your pancreas and liver are not communicating properly and so the liver is not getting the message to switch off when food hits your stomach and you will probably find out if eating a few nuts when you wake up helps or doesn't. It may be, if you are carrying a lot of visceral fat around your liver and pancreas. that is hampering the communication between the 2 and the liver is doggedly churning out too much glucose..... possibly because it's stores are full. In which case something like the Newcastle diet may be a better way forward for you to burn off that visceral fat.
Yes, keto is 20g carbs a day, but no one here is suggesting you need to do that. They may have said that it worked for them in the past or still works for them but it isn't sustainable for many people and far too daunting for others to even try..... and not necessary for most people as there are other options. You just have to be more patient with the low carb approach or perhaps consider the Newcastle/Fast 800 diet to help get rid of that visceral fat.

I assume the muffins you are having are the low carb breakfast muffins?

Morning all - bit changeable, blue sky and black clouds... who knows?

5.6 this morning which is more like it. Clearly the new vial of insulin is working.

@Nayshiftin I am sorry you have been offended. I just see you as a normal person who's struggling a bit with your diabetes. Every single one of us went through that at some point. There are so many things to learn about this disease - 42 (or more) factors that affect our BGs. I still struggle some of the time as I can't pin down which one is doing a thing on me. Just hold on, you really are doing well.

@ColinUK Well done again on your HS.

@Grannylorraine hugs... hope your cold abates soon. 2 weeks in I am still coughing stuff up first thing. The respiratory infection seems to be doing the rounds. I know a number of people who have it or have had it.

Have a good day all....

@Nayshiftin
Your liver is constantly releasing glucose (everybody's does) but it releases a bit more in the morning to give you energy for the day ahead and usually less between 1 and 3am when you are in your deepest sleep but varies throughout the day with how much it releases and will release more when get stressed or are ill, but there is always a fairly constant release (which is why we those of us on insulin have basal/slow release insulin. The exception to this release of glucose by the liver is when you eat and the act of eating I believe is supposed to switch it off.... hence having a few low carb nuts as soon as you wake up to help stop the rise in the morning. That may work or it may not. It depends on how your body is malfunctioning to cause your diabetes. It may be that the triggers and messages between your pancreas and liver are not communicating properly and so the liver is not getting the message to switch off when food hits your stomach and you will probably find out if eating a few nuts when you wake up helps or doesn't. It may be, if you are carrying a lot of visceral fat around your liver and pancreas. that is hampering the communication between the 2 and the liver is doggedly churning out too much glucose..... possibly because it's stores are full. In which case something like the Newcastle diet may be a better way forward for you to burn off that visceral fat.
Yes, keto is 20g carbs a day, but no one here is suggesting you need to do that. They may have said that it worked for them in the past or still works for them but it isn't sustainable for many people and far too daunting for others to even try..... and not necessary for most people as there are other options. You just have to be more patient with the low carb approach or perhaps consider the Newcastle/Fast 800 diet to help get rid of that visceral fat.

I assume the muffins you are having are the low carb breakfast muffins?
yes they are a recipe on the diabetes. uk diet plan i am on . recipe makes 6 and each are 7g of carbs which i really don’t think is high as thats all i eat at one breakfast time . i freeze them. id get fed up of Yoghurt and can only gave half a small tub or it spikes. Dont like brunch too often as its meat. i tend to have omlette or eggs other days but like those at lunch more. So its a treat breakfast.
i am only eating choices of the menu other than when i do salad. which is usually leaves tomato cucumber and either tinned tuba , cold meat , cheese or egg.
i like the recipes they count but i aim for aroubd 60 g per day highest dont always achieve that . The lowest i do achieve is 30g but not chosen just happened. i am more into enjoying what little we get .
Yes the Newcastle would help but to buy shakes hubby not a believer. . So no.
i have chosen to stick with strips too. Ill just have to be in the dark. Yes i know in the morning nowt i will do about that dump but did i want to know during the rest of the day.
Another 6 weeks then ill have an HbA1c and see what that returns for me. That should help me more then by 6 month check hopefully …,
Morning all - bit changeable, blue sky and black clouds... who knows?

5.6 this morning which is more like it. Clearly the new vial of insulin is working.

@Nayshiftin I am sorry you have been offended. I just see you as a normal person who's struggling a bit with your diabetes. Every single one of us went through that at some point. There are so many things to learn about this disease - 42 (or more) factors that affect our BGs. I still struggle some of the time as I can't pin down which one is doing a thing on me. Just hold on, you really are doing well.

@ColinUK Well done again on your HS.

@Grannylorraine hugs... hope your cold abates soon. 2 weeks in I am still coughing stuff up first thing. The respiratory infection seems to be doing the rounds. I know a number of people who have it or have had it.

Have a good day all....
I don't think it was really meant. i too should apologise everyone is kind I am just still .,. yes your right too many things change it.

Afternoon all

Very late posting my morning bg today, been to the hospital for a re-assessment of my hearing aids, will
be getting a new set soon, yippee.

Anyway, my waking bg this morning was a happy 5.6 at 8.35 - Have a good day all.

I’m still making mistakes today as it’s dawning on me how MUCH carbs & portion size affect me now: MUCH more like than type 1 ever before; just a LOT MORE RESISTANCE than ever before as well!

Heading off a hypo with a hurriedly cooked lunch that sent me into the low 4’s that needed coke before I ate to get it above 5 the, already cooked by that point, lunch of breakfast fry up & injected, I dithered there as I didn’t know 48 or 44, & went with a compromised 46NR after eating: coke to consider; AND another “Don’t panic! Wait & see!” With an additional “Remember! Highs often follow lows because of the treatment”!

Just left message with DSN asking if DAFNE courses are available & will it help me considering that as a type 2 resistance is STILL a big factor?

All these mistakes are helping me learn anyway albeit the hard way!

11.9 followed by an immediate 5.1 and falling rapidly. Finger prick said 6.0 - who knows !!

Have a good day all

Here I am battling to keep BS up! Too many factors to consider at once when BS is falling: can’t remember all of them when trying not to panic; obviously SHOULD have gone with 44 as forgot protein is slower to release! 🙄

Not to worry! Just threw in the towel at just over 2 hours after NR on fingertip BS 5.2, been madly pricking & scanning for about 40 minutes since I hit the 5’s, with a JB & waiting 10/15 minutes, as long as I can stand it, & have a biscuit! Ten minutes at 14:35, 15 minutes at 14:40!

Back