Group 7-day waking average?

Another sunny morning and a happy 5.4 for me today.
Got all my decking painted yesterday so maybe spend awhile sitting on it today and have a read.

Good morning. Happy Easter.

5.1 - must be a miracle. Had a very bad day yesterday - so exhausted I could barely put one foot before the other - every muscle aching - took an hour and a half to muck out with leaning on the wall between forkfuls. Come evening I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, crawled into a hot bath, turned on the TV and pigged out on carbs. What was that tin of golden syrup doing at the back of the cupboard? I childishly spread it over dull crackers...all the comfort of childhood at Grandad's farm in a bite. So I was guiltily expecting a very high BG instead of a near miss in the housing market.

Mix of sunshine and high, thin, cloud here. Slight breeze. Fingers crossed for a really warm afternoon. I'm walking better this a.m. so should enjoy pottering about.

Hope every one has a lovely day.

Happy Easter everyone! 6.7 for me (oops).

Also my BG meter of who-knows-how-old-it-is died yesterday. To be fair it had been rattling for some time so something was obviously coming loose. Still fires up to display logbook, etc. but doesn’t activate when you stick in a test strip. It is (or was) a Bayer Contour Next USB, which I like because it’s small and fits into the insulin pouch thingy I have, meaning I can always have it with me as a backup for the Libre. Not being sure whether the doctor would give me a replacement on prescription, and really needing one to take with me, especially if driving anywhere, I found a new version of it on Amazon that uses the same test strips I get on prescription and have a stock of in my diabetes drawer. Amazingly it is arriving today!

Lovely time with wife’s nephew and family yesterday, sat outside in the glorious sunshine, sipping a bit of Remy Martin, very relaxing! Off to my daughter’s family today for an Easter egg hunt with the grandchildren and a barbeque - so I apologise in advance to those in the Midlands for causing it to rain later (probably around 4pm). :rofl:

@freesia - congratulations on yesterday’s HS!

Have a good day everyone!

Morning all - rather dull and grey here. Rain forecast later. Not doing any walking anyway. Yesterday afternoon I was running for the bus home from town and tripped over the kerb, landing on my hands and knees on the pavement. Pavements are not forgiving! The bus driver gallantly waited for me though! Hands and knees covered in abrasions... feel like a child with the scabby knees.

5.6 much earlier when I woke, with a fairly flat line. @MichelleF78 note I am on an insulin pump, which means I can adjust my basal hour by hour. I still don't always get it right! D is a fickile old condition, so don't beat yourself up.

@eggyg we got rid of the mice and exchanged them for rats during lockdown. When we got home from holiday last year we found them having a lovely time feasting on the windfall grapes from our vines. J got some little blue sachets of rat poison from the farmer's supplies place and they came and lapped them up. Not seen them since. Your lunch sounds lovely.... we have lamb, but for tonight.

Happy Easter everyone.

Good morning and happy Easter everyone! 5'6 🙂

Last night I went for a few drinks at the local Wetherspoons with a couple of current coworkers and a former one, he is probably coming back to work for the summer holidays as he is an university student. Lovely guy and when he is in town he motivates the rest to go out and socialize. I really enjoyed and we all had a good laugh. Little mistake on my side, when someone went to order I asked for my usual vodka and diet coke, insisting in the "diet" but didn't specify I wanted a single measure of vodka. My well meaning colleague brought me 2 rounds of double spirits that I assumed were singles and obviously felt more drunk than expected o_O

Being cautious after that, I had a preventive biscuit at bedtime and reduced Levemir this morning. It was a very busy breakfast shift as well. No hypos so far but headache and a few moments of extreme tiredness. I'd love to repeat the plan tho, but when I have a day off!

Morning all - rather dull and grey here. Rain forecast later. Not doing any walking anyway. Yesterday afternoon I was running for the bus home from town and tripped over the kerb, landing on my hands and knees on the pavement. Pavements are not forgiving! The bus driver gallantly waited for me though! Hands and knees covered in abrasions... feel like a child with the scabby knees.

5.6 much earlier when I woke, with a fairly flat line. @MichelleF78 note I am on an insulin pump, which means I can adjust my basal hour by hour. I still don't always get it right! D is a fickile old condition, so don't beat yourself up.

@eggyg we got rid of the mice and exchanged them for rats during lockdown. When we got home from holiday last year we found them having a lovely time feasting on the windfall grapes from our vines. J got some little blue sachets of rat poison from the farmer's supplies place and they came and lapped them up. Not seen them since. Your lunch sounds lovely.... we have lamb, but for tonight.

Happy Easter everyone.
@Pattidevans it sure is! Every day ups and downs is so true. In fact every hour!

Afternoon

Happy Easter

8 this morning, after having hot cross buns for my evening meal. Been for a walk this morning, the. Preparing stuff for egg hunt.

Have a great day everyone.

Colin's Cultural Corner

Die tote Stadt (The Dead City) - Korngold - ENO
London Coliseum 8/4/23

Spent the day in and around Covent Garden before this one as it was a lovely sunny day and the flowers were in bloom in the park and the trees were all bursting forth with a lovely flush of green. Spring is underway and Life is burstin’ out all over even though it’s not June.

My perambulations through the finest Royal Parks in London and along the Thames, squinting against the sunlight, stopping for coffee under the dappled shade of a lime tree, sitting on the grass and listening to the birds singing their songs of joy and courtship set me in a fine mood for an evening at the opera. Especially when it’s an opera so full of melodrama and high camp like this one.

First a bit of history. Die tote Stadt is a three act opera written by Erich Wolfgang Korngold when we was 23. He’d already written two other operas before he was 18 along with a number of sonatas. He’d re-orchestrated, re-arranged and basically recomposed a number of operettas by Johann Strauss II.
Born to a Jewish family in Vienna he fled to Hollywood in 1934 to write the score for the Errol Flynn film Captain Blood. He scored almost all of Flynn’s subsequent films and won a couple of Oscars and more nominations than anyone really needs.
Cited by the likes of John Williams as being an inspiration, he is regarded as single-handedly creating the concept of an orchestral score for movies.

His success isn’t a real surprise given that he composed a ballet at age 11. Not just some notes scribbled on a page and hung up on the fridge door for his parents to kvell over but rather one performed at the Vienna Court Opera at the express request of Emperor Franz Josef. At age 12 he’d made live-recording piano music rolls. His first orchestral score he completed age 14.
In 1909 he played his cantata Gold for Mahler who called him a “musical genius” and said there was no point enrolling him in a music conservatory as his abilities were already far beyond what he’d learn there. Richard Strauss refused to teach him because he said he’d rather take lessons from him than be so presumptuous that he could teach Korngold anything.
So he’s a big thing. And talented.

This piece is based on the 1892 novel Bruges-la-Morte by Georges Rodenbach. I’d never heard of the author or the novel before but it’s worth pointing out that not only was it the first work of fiction illustrated with photographs but it’s also the inspiration for another novel (D’entre les morts) which Hitchcock filmed as Ver5go. So it’s an important work with themes we’re familiar with.

Right, now to the opera itself.... after praising the staff at the London Coliseum box office who moved me from a cramped seat in the Upper Circle to a lovely aisle seat in the second row of the Dress Circle without being asked. They saw my stick and just pulled me aside for the upgrade.

Now to the opera! Finally!

Curtain up. And we open on a clearly 1920s inspired room set. It’s a massive room. Art deco lights. Wood or marble paneling. A fireplace. A glass display case containing a wedding dress with an impossibly small waist. A hospital bed covered in red roses in the centre of the room.

Enter Paul. (Well really enter the Maid and a family friend just to deal with exposition.) He’s mourning his late wife. The wedding dress is hers. This is her room. It’s where she died. It’s become a shrine to her and even has, above the fireplace, an almost alter where he keeps a huge amount of her hair.

He’s surprisingly chipper! He says/sings that he’s met a woman whilst he’s walking around Bruges, and that he’s convinced she’s his dead wife Marie. He’s invited this woman to the house that afternoon and is filling the room with roses.

She turns up. She’s an actress and dancer and a bit of a gold digging femme fatale. He calls her Marie. She says she’s called Marietta. They flirt. Through song obviously.

He invites her to stay (presumably for ever) but she says she can’t as she’s got to go to the theatre for rehearsals.
He’s upset that she’s an actress and dancer. He’s not quite as upset as he should be when she dances a supposedly provocative dance for him which is unintentionally quite funny because of the fact that the singist playing this role really can’t dance.

He declares that he loves her. She buggers off to the rehearsals and leaves an umbrella behind.

She comes back two seconds later for her umbrella and for her roses. She says that he’s rich and maybe they should give it a go. At no point has she noticed the hospital bed in the middle of the room. Personally I’d have thought that might have damped the ardour of even the most determined gold digger but this is opera so we let it slide.

They clamber on to the bed and, ahem, have intimate relations. As they do the ghost of Pauls dead wife appears and is a bit miffed.

This is where it gets very odd as it’s goes into a dream sequence that lasts almost until the very end of the opera. Marie (the dead one) and Marietta (the live one) argue and Marietta dances on Marie’s coffin during a beautifully observed religious celebration.
Side note - it’s apposite that I saw this on Easter Saturday as the religious celebration mentioned is clearly Easter. They sing about the pascal lamb.

Anyway in the dream sequences Marietta decides that Paul is insane and she wants to leave. Of course he doesn’t want her to so tells her to go. She, wanting to leave, stays and torments him by setting fire to Marie’s dead hair shrine.

Paul sings that they are nothing alike and strangles her with Maries hair. He wakes from his dream and realises it’s a dream as there’s no body there.

He leaves Bruges with his friend Frank. And that’s the final curtain.

I know this doesn’t sound like fun but it really was. Mainly because it was full of film noir type lighting plus a bit of pole dancing and some of the weirdest casting choices ever made. Marietta and Marie are supposed to be near identical. They are far from that. It would be like casting Monroe in Prince and the Showgirl with Diana Dors from her time in the Two Ronnies. And the acting generally was giving full melodrama.

I loved it!

IMG_0385.jpeg

Hello and Happy Easter to all!

Well it was 5.7 for me at 7am this morning and another lovely flat horizontal line overnight with no evening Levemir. For some reason this morning my levels stayed low after breakfast and in fact I had to get out of the shower mid hair washing for my low alarm to grab a JB to prevent a dip into the red. Yesterday I went high and needed 2u + 1u corrections to keep in range, today it was JBs. 🙄 Anyway, my 100% TIR streak came to an abrupt end today at 2pm when we had a hot beef buttie with gravy and roast potatoes in the pub after our drive.
IMG_20230409_173906142.jpg
I was at 5.9 when I prebolused 6.5 units just before going into the pub. Ordered drinks at the bar and got sat down and a bit of a chat before sarnies and roasties arrived. Probably had a good 10-15 mins prebolus time. Ate slowly to try to give it time and limited myself to just 3 small roasties, but it was a white bap so I knew it was going to be like rocket fuel. High alarm went off at 9.1 just after I finished eating, so I hit it with another 2 units. Then hit it with another 4 units 45 mins later when it was 14.7 and still vertical upwards arrow. Got back to the farm at 4pm when I had topped out at 15.4. Ran round the farm sorting GGs and helping feed beast and getting the trailer unloaded and put away to try to bring it down, at which point thankfully the insulin started to kick in and drop me like a stone and Libre didn't like it and just gave me the try again in 10 mins error message, hence the gap on the graph. Got a low alarm at 5pm with Libre saying 3.5 and a vertical downward arrow. Ate 2 JBs and I have leveled out beautifully now at 4.9 and LIbre graph seems to have changed it's mind and now indicates I didn't really go into the red at all. 🙄 I certainly didn't feel hypo at any time.

Maybe I should have given it 12 units up front but that just seems like a massive amount of insulin in one go. I know with practice I could improve on this result but to be honest I didn't enjoy the food, so not worth further experimentation. Those white carbs just hold no attraction for me anymore, but it was a group meal and I didn't want to make a fuss and ask for something different.
Added to that it was freezing sitting up in the carriage today and I was absolutely nithered by the time we got into the pub which probably slowed the insulin absorption, but clearly not my digestion. 🙄

Hello and Happy Easter to all!

.... at which point thankfully the insulin started to kick in and drop me like a stone and Libre didn't like it and just gave me the try again in 10 mins error message, hence the gap on the graph. Got a low alarm at 5pm with Libre saying 3.5 and a vertical downward arrow. Ate 2 JBs and I have leveled out beautifully now at 4.9 and LIbre graph seems to have changed it's mind and now indicates I didn't really go into the red at all. 🙄 I certainly didn't feel hypo at any time.
My libre does this a lot - I get the low/high alarm only for it to be a 'phantom' high or low that then doesn't register on the overall graph, glad I'm not the only one. Unrelated question, but are you on novorapid?

I was 7.6 this morning, still playing about with my evening basal as I did have it as a higher dose but then kept having low alarms through the night, dropped a unit but now seem back to the steady climb from about 3-6am if I am not up in time to catch it. Tricky times though as school holidays means slightly out of routine with some days very quiet and others very busy!

My libre does this a lot - I get the low/high alarm only for it to be a 'phantom' high or low that then doesn't register on the overall graph, glad I'm not the only one. Unrelated question, but are you on novorapid?
It's the algorithm used to try to cut down the time lag between blood and interstitial glucose which causes it and I don't mind at all that it does it because it means less red on my graph and if I hadn't reacted to that Libre low, by eating JBs and stopping the drop, I certainly would have been in the red. I just wish it reduced my occasional highs too, but it never seems to work like that above range.

I use Fiasp rather than NR, not that it is much quicker for me as both are sluggish but what I like about Fiasp is that it is gone in 3 hours for me, often less whereas NR would take the full 5 hours to work. What I dislike is that once my levels get into double figures, it seems to turn to water, so I have to stack corrections to make it effective. This works fine for me and I just ensure that I have a couple of JBs at the ready just in case I need to steady the drop if I get to close to the bottom end of my range when the corrections eventually kick in, but it took months for me to gain the confidence (more like reach a point of significant frustration) to just keep jabbing one correction after another until levels stop going upwards and eventually turn downwards. I am not recommending others do this but it is what works for me. I need more Fiasp than I did NR to do the same job but that shorter activity time is a real bonus for me and I only need 45mins prebolus time at breakfast as oppose to 75 mins with NR, which was just impractical. 45mins is manageable. I would not recommend Fiasp to anyone as it can be frustrating and tricky in my experience, but that slight benefit over NR of it just being active for 3 hours for me just tips the balance.

Morning all. 7.7
Been a quiet weekend with just a trip into town to collect insulin and some catching up with family over coffee.

Hope you all are having a lovely bank holiday weekend 🙂

Back