Group 7-day waking average?

@Elenka_HM - sorry to read about the trouble you had at work, sad to say some people are rude and ignorant of others. But that is their problem. I strongly believe in respecting everyone and that none of us have any claim to any particular part of the earth - we are all borrowing time here.

Good morning.6.2. Must have been the hot cross buns.

Had nasty shock yesterday - oil temperature light came on in car. Nipped hopefully to my well loved garage - closed but owner and son busy painting office floor. Careful examination revealed it to be a fault in the sensor circuit - a mouse had eaten the insulation around a wire...Decided to clean car on return - plenty of evidence of the wretched beast once I looked so spent an hour removing carpets, vacuuming etc. Hopefully the clean up has removed all traces of edibles (horse feed) from the boot and that he/she/they will feel hungry enough to explore the delicious pot of poison installed under the passenger seat.

Wolf was rather grateful I suspect. He had endured half an hour of the ongoing de-tufting in the morning and was doubtless dreading the afternoon. It seems never ending to both of us.

Thought you might like to see my ponies out in the sun. Shall have to re-seed the gateway but the rest of the scrifice paddock is beginning to grow.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 12
Morning all. I’ve had a lie in after waking at 4.15 and laid for almost two hours wide awake thinking about everything and nothing as you do! Then eventually dozed off. New sensor says 7.3 meter 5.9. I noticed yesterday it was reading a bit higher, I’ll give it a few days to sort itself out.

No big Easter weekend plans, I will be ironing the four sets of bedding I’ve washed this week.🙄 We’re going away next Saturday and I like everything washed and ironed, the house cleaned from top to bottom, and the fridges cleaned out. And I’ve to pack, not only clothes, but food. It’s very remote, one small store unless we go over to Mull on the ferry to the Coop! I will be batch cooking this coming week. This is why I can’t sleep!:rofl:

Re elderly parents, mine didn’t get to that stage. 52 and 71 when they died, but Mr Eggy’s mother is 86 this month so I do have an inkling of what you’re talking about. She has everything done for her. Cooking, cleaning, washing etc. she has just totally given up, although she isn’t disabled or has any illnesses, some mild dementia. I would hope if I live to a grand old age, I would be able to say I’d had a good and full life and had no regrets. And that’s exactly why I always say, getting older is better than the alternative. And on the note. Have a fabulous sunny day. 🙂

@Snowwy how lovely to hear from you and glad to hear you’re fighting fit now.
@eggyg No where near fit, but definitely fighting! Enjoy your break too, at least we have shops very close to site at Minehead.

Morning all

normal service resumed 7.1 mist have been the very delicious vegan chocolate I shared with my friend last night, although the portion I ate was only 9.9g of carb so I thought it would be ok and have to say very lovely but at over £3 for a 60g bar I am not sure I would buy it.

todays plans are shopping, cleaning and cooking for tomorrow’s Easter egg hunt, I still yesterday’s baking to do as I went out for a walk and coffee with my friend and spent a lovely few hours together.

@ColinUK - I totally understand what you mean with your parents, mine realised their house needed too much work and they couldn’t do the gardening, so moved to a retirement apartment. Mum does realise she can’t do as much a she used to, she pays my daughter to do a deep clean once a month, then mum can manage putting her little sweeper over and giving the bathroom a quick wipe over on the other weeks, but I think going forward I will offer to give the loo and shower cubicle a weekly wipe over as she says she struggles with the bending down, she can do the sink herself. I just wish my brother who is semi retired would go and see her a bit more often, she still hasn’t had her birthday present from February. I don’t thin going round once a month is too much to ask of him.

Anyway a lovely sunny day, have a lovely weekend everyone.

@Grannylorraine The garden is beyond them. At the moment it’s being tended still by their garden of 30 years who’s now blind in one eye and 89 herself. She’s also moved about an hour’s drive away into deepest Essex. Her kids want her to retire but she’s refusing to give up mum and dads garden.

I tried last year or year before to get some elements incorporated which would give dad the pretence of still doing gardening but would make it much easier for him; opting for massive planters on the patio and raising the level of the top terrace would give him raised planters whilst also giving more interest to the view from from the house. It would also stop the lawn being a focal point and maybe then encourage him to let it grow a little wild.
I’ve looked at robot mowers and none can cope with the slope between the top terrace and the rest.

Being a contrary sod he said the other day that he wants more trees and shrubs planted. He also wants to cut back what’s there and doesn’t want to go shopping for anything new. I did point out the problem with those three things not exactly being in alignment.

I might just head to the big huge gardening club soon and treat them to some things I can plant.

Both of them have heart issues and mum has arthritis whilst dad needs another knee replaced which he’s reluctant to do because the first hasn’t healed as quickly as he’d hoped.

I doubt they’ll need move into sheltered accommodation or a retirement flat anytime soon though.

Morning all. At 8am it was 8.6 but i dozed back off to sleep and woke a lot later (!! I must have needed it!) to a 5.2.

We're off to the theatre tonight to see The Commitments. It was booked 4 years ago but cancelled several times due to Covid so i'm really looking forward to it.

@ColinUK its horrible seeing aging parents struggling. My mum looks after my step dad who is blind, deaf and has dementia. She struggles with ill health herself and can't get any help or support because he refuses and social services have to listen to him and not mum. No one wants to know and the GP just wants to give mum anti depressants to help her "cope a bit longer". Its just not right. We help as much as we can but having to still work, its not enough. I take her out when i can to give her a break as there is no respite for her. Its a horrible situation.

1680946883346.png

mouse had eaten the insulation around a wire
We get mice in our old sandstone house all the time. They do untold damage. The little blighters chewed through the waste pipe under the dishwasher once and promptly died. It was only when our kitchen was full of blue bottles we knew something was going on. Pulled dishwasher out and discovered the damage and a maggot ridden mouse body. 😳 Yuk!
Not long after we moved in as a young couple, 26 ahh!! We utilised a big built in cupboard in the huge bathroom, had been a bedroom in the past, by filling it with “stuff” we didn’t know what to do with, including the top tier of our 80s wedding cake, full of fruit and booze covered in a cement like royal icing. It was all wrapped up in grease proof paper, foil, cling film and in a Tesco carrier bag! I know, I know I was young, don’t like fruit cake and had no intentions of having any children christened but couldn’t bring myself to throw it out! Anyhoo, back to the mice story, when we eventually decided to decorate the bathroom we emptied the cupboard and I lifted the cake off the shelf. It felt very light. The mice had bitten through all the coverings and nibbled a mouse sized hole in the corner of the cake. All that was left was a royal icing shell. It must have fed them for months! We thought this was hilarious and still laugh about it now.:rofl:

Morning all - not exactly blue sky, but it is nice and bright nonetheless.

5.6 first thing, with an almost flat line all night.

@freesia congratulations on your HS - well done again!

@colin shame about the ballet. Re: parents, I do understand where you are all coming from. My father passed away age 57 in 1971. I remember him as a lovely man with a twinkle in his eye and an amazing dry SOH, but he suffered badly towards the end. Mum lived to 88 (she passed in 1998) and I still feel guilty that I couldn't care for her myself as I was working 18 hours a day, 7 days a week at the time. So I had to find a residential home for her after she had suffered 2 strokes. She was happy there, but missed her remaining sister very badly as they were so far apart. Julian's mum was very independent and we didn't even know she had cancer until she passed away. It's sad when you see signs of them being unable to cope and neither of us lived near enough to help our parents. Trouble is, I can begin to see it from the other side now. However as @eggyg says, getting old is better than the alternative!

@Elenka_HM sorry to hear of your guests' behaviour last night. When we had the hotel we used to dread Easter, we got a completely different clientele who expected serving hand and foot and weren't very polite about it either. I remember two couples from London who decided to stop off on the way for dinner.... and after waiting up for them until 1:30 am (bearing in mind we had to be up at 6:30) and then one couple rang our bedroom to complain about noise from the room above theirs - it was their friends! We politely suggested they tell them themselves!

Have a lovely Easter Saturday all.... wishing you carb free easter eggs!

Ah mice - we got them in our shed. They ate the linings of Julian's expensive walking boots and the neoprene off the arms of the director's chairs in there plus a load of other stuff. He promptly sealed off the door so they couldn't get in, but they were already in and the poor things expired there. Took ages to get rid of the smell.

Morning all. At 8am it was 8.6 but i dozed back off to sleep and woke a lot later (!! I must have needed it!) to a 5.2.

We're off to the theatre tonight to see The Commitments. It was booked 4 years ago but cancelled several times due to Covid so i'm really looking forward to it.

@ColinUK its horrible seeing aging parents struggling. My mum looks after my step dad who is blind, deaf and has dementia. She struggles with ill health herself and can't get any help or support because he refuses and social services have to listen to him and not mum. No one wants to know and the GP just wants to give mum anti depressants to help her "cope a bit longer". Its just not right. We help as much as we can but having to still work, its not enough. I take her out when i can to give her a break as there is no respite for her. Its a horrible situation.

View attachment 25244
Is he eligible for Attendance allowance and she for attendance allowance? It sounds as if they should be. If so the extra money might allow her to pay privately for some help. When my husband was very ill, for 6 months before he died, he was anxious that our young daughter should not come in and find him dead and I was busy earning our living. Social services couldn't/wouldn't help so I hired a nice local lady who at least took the household cares off my hands - cleaning/laundry/veggie prep etc. I didn't know about AA or CA then so just had to work harder. Has anyone talked to your Mum about finances and how to hire private nursing/household help?

Is he eligible for Attendance allowance and she for attendance allowance? It sounds as if they should be. If so the extra money might allow her to pay privately for some help. When my husband was very ill, for 6 months before he died, he was anxious that our young daughter should not come in and find him dead and I was busy earning our living. Social services couldn't/wouldn't help so I hired a nice local lady who at least took the household cares off my hands - cleaning/laundry/veggie prep etc. I didn't know about AA or CA then so just had to work harder. Has anyone talked to your Mum about finances and how to hire private nursing/household help?
Mum gets AA which she uses for a cleaner and taxis. She can't get CA, she has tried. Its respite she needs but he won't have anyone in to sit with him or go anywhere either for a day or week so mum doesn't get a break. Its taking a toll on her health. She struggles to walk and has BP problems. I got cross with social services one day saying they were waiting for mum to have a stroke or heart attack before they will do something. The trouble is, they only take into account step dads wishes.

Mum gets AA which she uses for a cleaner and taxis. She can't get CA, she has tried. Its respite she needs but he won't have anyone in to sit with him or go anywhere either for a day or week so mum doesn't get a break. Its taking a toll on her health. She struggles to walk and has BP problems. I got cross with social services one day saying they were waiting for mum to have a stroke or heart attack before they will do something. The trouble is, they only take into account step dads wishes.
I am very sorry to hear that. If he has dementia I assume he counts as non compos mentis. In which case why are social services not listening to her and not him? It might be worth asking them.

Random question of the day.

Does anyone use a robo vacuum?
I’m thinking maybe getting two for the folks. One for downstairs and one upstairs.

I’ve looked at Which? but personal recommendations are always welcome!

View attachment 25244
When people get older it is no joke and you have to fight every step of the way. My other half Mum is 98, no sight, no hearing, has been bed ridden since last Aug when she broke her hip, has a catheter, continuous UTIs, no quality of life. She is being looked after by her daughter who has mobility issues herself and carers 4 times a day. They can't get her into a nursing home as the wait is months and the doctor recommended a place for palliative care but there is a months wait. They now have support from something the GPs have set up which is called Hospital at Home where they can call and get help within an hour.
It is a horrible and sad situation. I do feel for you all in similar situations.

Back