Group 7-day waking average?

@Pattidevans The teacher didn’t say anything but just stared at me while I scanned Libre, I suppose they have to check it’s not a phone but even if it was, all I would be doing is scanning Libre (they’ve tried to confiscate my phone a couple times for scanning Libre but no one has yet tried confiscating the reader). I wouldn’t get away with saying that to a teacher (actually I’m not a troublemaker atall so I might). I had her again today and she said nothing but then Libre didn’t alarm
There are a few students who use libre at our children's High School, and from what our children say, all teachers are aware of what the Libre is and never make any fuss about the students scanning. Perhaps you could talk to your form tutor to explain and ask that teachers be mindful of why you need to scan.

@Carlos most teachers know and have no problem, it may be just mentioning to my form tutor or to the first aider, just so they could inform other teachers if need be

Good morning - 7.5

At school yesterday I was low 4s and stable during maths but I kept checking every so often in case it did start falling. I would have hoped the teacher would have managed to think “she’s scanning her arm, those beeps must be something to do with her diabetes”. When the alarm did go off she stopped her explanation of what we were doing and just stared at me! It took me ages to have the confidence to have the alarm on and then that happened.

Sorry rant over
Would it not have been sensible to eat a Dextrose tablet or a JB or whatever you use when you were in the low 4s to bump them up a bit rather than keep monitoring and waiting for it to drop and the alarm go off and then leaving the room to treat a hypo. One of the main benefits of Libre is to allow you to head off a low rather than wait for it to happen. You could discretely eat a jelly baby no different to getting a hanky out and wiping your nose as far as I can see.
Perhaps I am not understanding the situation fully.
Perhaps the teacher was keeping eye contact with you because she expected you to be asking to leave the room and was just waiting for you to ask. perhaps she was keeping an eye on you in case you dropped fast and became faint and needed assistance. Only she will know if it was a glare for disrupting the class or a stare of concern or something else. Your interpretation of it will be affected by how you were feeling at the time, so you can't really judge if there was malice or concern in it, just how it made you feel, but that might not be her fault. I don't know if that makes sense to you, but there are legitimate and well meaning reasons why she would watch you/stare at you after your alarm went off. Try not to take it personally.
I am just playing devil's advocate here. None of us will ever know the real reason, but you shouldn't feel offended or victimized by it.

@rebrascora I know where you are coming from and I do agree that it may have been out of concern.

I should have had a Dextrose tablet or a couple of sweets but then I would get loads of comments from people saying how I “shouldn’t be eating in class” and the teacher would’ve got annoyed at me for that

@Pattidevans The teacher didn’t say anything but just stared at me while I scanned Libre, I suppose they have to check it’s not a phone but even if it was, all I would be doing is scanning Libre (they’ve tried to confiscate my phone a couple times for scanning Libre but no one has yet tried confiscating the reader). I wouldn’t get away with saying that to a teacher (actually I’m not a troublemaker atall so I might). I had her again today and she said nothing but then Libre didn’t alarm
I apologise, after I had posted my comment I did think it might be a little OTT. I meant to expand by saying the comment should be delivered in a quiet and pleasant tone, not in an aggressive way. I do realise that it's one thing for me to be outspoken at 76 and another for you when speaking to a person in charge.

Speaking of old folks... we saw "Alleluja" with Jennifer Saunders this afternoon. The entire audience was composed of elderly ladies. The trailer led us to believe it was quite funny. It wasn't, it was rather depressing - especially when you are no longer so far away from the age of the characters! Not doing a "mock CCC" on it as it would be a spoiler.

@Pattidevans - I got what you meant originally, even if I was to say it politely (as I would) I could still get in trouble for being “disrespectful“ to a teacher

I apologise, after I had posted my comment I did think it might be a little OTT. I meant to expand by saying the comment should be delivered in a quiet and pleasant tone, not in an aggressive way. I do realise that it's one thing for me to be outspoken at 76 and another for you when speaking to a person in charge.

Speaking of old folks... we saw "Alleluja" with Jennifer Saunders this afternoon. The entire audience was composed of elderly ladies. The trailer led us to believe it was quite funny. It wasn't, it was rather depressing - especially when you are no longer so far away from the age of the characters! Not doing a "mock CCC" on it as it would be a spoiler.
Oh Patti. I am so disappointed! Ian and I were really looking forward to going to see this film! It is one of the few that would appeal to us both. Ian doesn't generally do cinema and even at home, he won't sit and watch a whole film and will often get up and go to bed 15 mins before the end o_O and be doing stuff on his phone whilst it is on. He does like to support British films though and especially if there is acting royalty involved. I can't manage action films or thrillers or anything like that as I get really stressed, so this one seemed something we would both manage and not overly long for Ian's attention span!
I think we will probably still go and see it but at our local theatre rather than the Odeon, where it is almost twice the price. Far rather support our local theatre anyway and less fuel, although Ian seems to prefer going out of town.

@Lily123 It is a shame that you are letting peer pressure stop you from preventing a hypo. If you are allowed to treat a hypo in class and it is only your preference to leave the room, then I can't see the teacher telling you off and you could lodge a valid complaint in that situation if they did. If you use dextrose tablets instead of sweets or perhaps a carton of juice would be better still, then your classmates might be less jealous. These sorts of situations will continue into the work place and I think it is important to put your health before what others think, so preventing that hypo from happening should be the priority.
I think this is a situation to discuss with your nurse, so that you have a plan of action to prevent the hypo rather than waiting for it to happen, which must be distracting to you and the rest of the class. You can't exactly concentrate on your classwork if you are worrying about your levels possibly dropping low, when it would take seconds to prevent it and then get on with your work.
I accept that it must be incredibly tough dealing with diabetes as a teenager and you have my utmost respect because you are obviously doing a fantastic job not only with your diabetes, but also with your thoughtful and helpful comments here on the forum, but I wonder if you have stumbled onto an inappropriate mindset in this respect and it needs rethinking and a new plan drawn up to officially reflect that and so that teachers know what you are doing and why.

@rebrascora thanks, it helps put things into perspective what you have said, I don’t feel that’s it’s peer pressure stopping me as if I needed to and other students say anything I wouldn’t correct them because it’s wasted effort after you’ve tried a few times. The plan has never been for me to treat hypos within the classroom, I’ll have a couple sweets between classes if need be or eat in the changing rooms before PE but that’s it. I would not change my hypo treatment just to be more discreet in class if that’s what you mean. If I’m hypo I go to the medical room

@rebrascora thanks, it helps put things into perspective what you have said, I don’t feel that’s it’s peer pressure stopping me as if I needed to and other students say anything I wouldn’t correct them because it’s wasted effort after you’ve tried a few times. The plan has never been for me to treat hypos within the classroom, I’ll have a couple sweets between classes if need be or eat in the changing rooms before PE but that’s it. I would not change my hypo treatment just to be more discreet in class if that’s what you mean. If I’m hypo I go to the medical room
No, what I am meaning is that you shouldn't be sitting there waiting for the Libre to tell you you are hypo before you do something to about it. You should be having something when your levels are low 4s to prevent the hypo, not scanning regularly to see if it is going to drop lower or not. It doesn't have to be a full hypo treatment but just some carbs to top you up before you hit the red line of being hypo. I will usually have 1 jelly baby when my levels are 4.5 if I happen to scan and see it is that low or below but my alarm is set at 4.2 and I always have a JB or 2 (depending upon what I am doing and what time of day it is) as soon as the alarm goes off to prevent me having a hypo. Then there is no recovery time needed because I didn't have a hypo. I would encourage you to raise your Libre low alarm to low-mid 4s and just eat a portion of a hypo treatment when you hit that level to nudge your BG back up.

If you are scanning and getting a reading in the low 4s, then 1 JB will probably take you up to a nice safe 5.3 and you can then get on with your lesson without having to scan again. No need to leave the room because you are not hypo, just pop a JB or whatever you use and you are good to continue the lesson without concern..... unless Libre showed that you were dropping rapidly and then you might need 2 JBs or whatever. It is all about preventing the hypo happening instead of watching and waiting for it happen and then leaving the classroom to deal with it and recover.

@rebrascora Okie I get what you mean now, to treat it before it reaches hypo, that would probably require an entire rehaul of the care plan. Trying to get my parents to agree to that is the difficult bit (helpful but of the opinion of “if it works it works and doesn’t need changing”

For context I’m Year 10 so might be overkill doing that now. End of term tomorrow and then exams almost straight after so it’ll be awhile until any adjustments to the care plan could be made anyway

Last edited:
For context I’m Year 10 so might be overkill doing that now. End of term tomorrow and then exams almost straight after so it’ll be awhile until any adjustments to the care plan could be made anyway
Reasonable adjustments can be made for exams just in case you go hypo/hyper or need a snack during the exams. Check it out with DUK as it may need arranging before so all staff know.

Thanks,
I was in an alternate room and had rest breaks last year for my Year 9 exams and it’ll be the same arrangements
You posted this before i saw it properly. I hope the exams go well for you.

Reasonable adjustments can be made for exams just in case you go hypo/hyper or need a snack during the exams. Check it out with DUK as it may need arranging before so all staff know.
Thanks, Already got arrangements in place, they send out an email to remind those who are in an alternate room the week before the exam, hopefully I’m still on that list. I have to speak to learning support tomorrow about another arrangement (non-diabetes related) so I’ll ask then

Good morning everyone.

BG 5.1 sigh

Nothing much planned today.

Have a great day today whatever you are doing

Good morning - 4.4

Morning all. Can hardly see, so a 'salad summer' it is then except for tomorrow as daughter is taking me out to an 'eastern' type restaurant in lieu of mum's day. 6.4 @ 6.44am have a great day cobbers. 🙂

Back