Freestyle Libre 2 to become real time continuous glucose monitor in UK from mid July 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signal loss again but discovered how to scan just press the three thingmajigs in the right hand corner. This isn’t a new sensor BTW so here’s hoping on Monday when it’s new sensor day all will be fine. ( I may have ripped it off my arm by then.) 😉

Further update on my experience with the iOS updated LibreLink app today - I scanned my two Novopens into the reinstalled app and it was after this (800 doses from the NR pen and around 450 from the Levemir pen) that the app started giving me the white screen and not responding, ultimately crashing.

I’ve now deleted and reinstalled the app, not scanned my pens at all and so far it has been working just fine and giving me real-time BG (which is rising due to this stress!). I was getting a bit nervous as this sensor is ending on Friday and as it was I would not have been able to start a new one!

I think for now I need to just manually record the insulin as I used to do before that feature was added, not a big deal. The more important thing is that the app gives me readings from the sensor and will let me scan and start a new one!
I’ve managed to add my pens. <<smug emoji>>

The android update showed up about an hour ago. After updating I got just a white screen, with no indication of progress of any kind. I waited for a while but nothing happened, so went the nuclear option of uninstalling and reinstalling. That worked, and the real time reading (actually every minute) is working 🙂. Unfortunately I lost the local history because of the uninstall, so all the statistics are now reset .

Now to find a way to display the data in my garmin.

It also updates Libreview without having to scan at all - that’s definitely a bonus!

I’ve managed to add my pens.
I’m not risking trying again. To be honest, having to mark the air shots as prime in the logbook makes it more effort than it’s worth, so I’ll just go back to doing notes for the insulin shots as I did before. Shame, but don’t want to have to delete and reinstall once more. I’ve reported all this to Abbott, but not sure it will get through to anyone in their IT teams.

Someone has posted on Facebook this morning that from mid-july 2023, and following a software update to Librelink, the Freestyle Libre 2 sensor will become a real time continuous glucose monitor giving minute-by-minute readings on a compatible smartphone.

Apparently, the updated Librelink will also allow glucose readings to be sent to compatible smartwatches (presumably without the need to use non-Abbott authorised third party apps).

Abbott should be communicating this to Libre 2 users over coming weeks.
There has been an update today July 12th to the app to version 2.10. Description mentions changes to readings visible in app. Continuous every minute. However, I updated app and now app not working. I am annoyed. Any one else had same problem?

There has been an update today July 12th to the app to version 2.10. Description mentions changes to readings visible in app. Continuous every minute. However, I updated app and now app not working. I am annoyed. Any one else had same problem?
I had the same, see my post

No. A Libre sensor is smaller than a phone so uses smaller electronic components which have less functionality.
A Libre sensor can only connect to one device via Bluetooth.
You can see this with the alerts. The alerts use Bluetooth and are only sent to the device which started the sensor. The CGMing of Libre 2 is done by taking the data from the same Bluetooth message that is used for alerts.
Ahhh ok , like I intimated, I didn't know just thought it was worth explaining that my phone can connect to multiple devices at the same time. Have a good day

Do any of the people who have got the update use the reader and the phone...
I set the sensor off on reader and get readings via scan on both but alarms not on phone. Can I update and get full cgm use from sensor but still have it on both reader and phone or is it only on the phone that the real time readings can be viewed...
I am not great with apps etc but have been finding it useful to have reader and phone. Any advice appreciated as not sure what the update means for using both etc. I have not seen any mention of how the phone update affects the use of reader...

Spot on. The device that starts the sensor has the bluetooth connection. The reader doesn't have the software to display the CGM, but the app does. So start with the app. It will get the display and alarms (same thing) but you will be able to scan with the reader.

Spot on. The device that starts the sensor has the bluetooth connection. The reader doesn't have the software to display the CGM, but the app does. So start with the app. It will get the display and alarms (same thing) but you will be able to scan with the reader.
If you start the sensor with the phone then it will not pair with the reader, so you lose the option to use the reader..... unless the new app somehow overcomes this restriction.

Do any of the people who have got the update use the reader and the phone...
I set the sensor off on reader and get readings via scan on both but alarms not on phone.
Your options are

Start on phone, phone will have readings without scanning, no use of reader whatsoever

Start on reader, reader will get alarms but not continuous readings and you’ll still have to scan it. Can still scan on phone as now but it won’t have alarms or continue you’d readings.

I have updated the app but I don't seem to have CGM just a message at the bottom of the screen saying...
"New features coming soon"

It is still working as normal ie. scanning, although there was a scary 10 second blank white screen after updating which I read other people got for much longer or had to uninstall and reinstall, so I am taking it as a positive that the update didn't cause my phone any obvious problems.

Those people who actually got the CGM to work, do you still have that or has it been lost again?

If you start the sensor with the phone then it will not pair with the reader, so you lose the option to use the reader..... unless the new app somehow overcomes this restriction.
Yeah you're absolutely right. Dunno what I was thinking. I'll put it down to a senior moment.

It is still working as normal ie. scanning, although there was a scary 10 second blank white screen after updating which I read other people got for much longer or had to uninstall and reinstall, so I am taking it as a positive that the update didn't cause my phone any obvious problems.
So it still can operate as before (with scanning). So maybe if I update and start each sensor with the reader, things'll behave as they do now (so I can still use Juggluco).

I prefer Juggluco because it has vibration-only alarms (with the LibreLink alarms I found them much too annoying), and also works on my watch. (I'm guessing LibreLink doesn't offer anything like that.) If necessary I guess I can just configure the LibreView stuff in Juggluco and uninstall LibreLink altogether.

There never was, was there? There's one on the reader, but with the phone app it just shows whatever screen you last had it on and you can scan.
Scan button is top right on iPhone app

Scan button is top right on iPhone app
Oh, I see. I guess that's something to do with NFC being relatively more restricted by Apple.

On my Android phone I can just scan by putting the phone near the sensor (if the app isn't running it'll be started, or (now that I have two relevant apps) I get asked which one I want to use).

There never was, was there? There's one on the reader, but with the phone app it just shows whatever screen you last had it on and you can scan.
Scan button/blue bar is along the bottom of the home page on my iphone but there is also a scan symbol on the top right corner as @lucy mentions on all the pages I believe.
I always have to turn the phone on, then unlock, then open the app and usually wait whilst it buffers then click the scan button/bar then scan and wait for the result. Sometimes each step apart from unlocking, takes what seems like ages and other times it is much quicker, but there are several processes before I get a result whereas with the reader you click the button to turn it on and then select scan and wave it somewhere near your arm and "bingo" you have a result!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back