Food ideas with photos

Car broken down again so off the road for a week until the new part arrives. Had to cancel aquafit sessions.

1350 cals, 116.2gm carbs of which 41.9gm sugars

B: Boiled egg and soldiers
L: Vietnamese prawn vegetable rolls
D: Grilled sausages, small baked potatoes, HM ratatouille

Plumber coming today to fix a problem with the tank in my loft. No more overflow down my wall I hope!!

999 cals, 69.7gm carbs of which 40.8gm sugars

B: Poached egg, grilled bacon, mushrooms, tomato
L: Ham salad
D: Chicken, boiled potato (mashed with a dash of milk), HM ratatouille
S: Strawberries

Chicken dinner 3.jpg

Last edited:
Got my diabetic review today. HbA1c up a bit to 58, but as I was laid low for 4 weeks with COVID and 8 weeks with a persistent eye infection, I was expecting a rise. But it wasn't as much as I was expecting and my kidney function remained in the normal range. Last time I had a bad infection the HbA1c shot up to 88 and it has taken time to chip it away.

1294 cals, 79.9gm carbs of which 50.0gm sugars

B: Poached egg, grilled bacon, tomatoes
D: Roast pork, boiled potato (mashed with a dash of milk), HM ratatouille

Got my diabetic review today. HbA1c up a bit to 58, but as I was laid low for 4 weeks with COVID and 8 weeks with a persistent eye infection, I was expecting a rise. But it wasn't as much as I was expecting and my kidney function remained in the normal range. Last time I had a bad infection the HbA1c shot up to 88 and it has taken time to chip it away.

1294 cals, 79.9gm carbs of which 50.0gm sugars

D: Roast pork, boiled potato (mashed with a dash of milk), HM ratatouille
Please may i ask what HM is . i love ratatouille.

Please may i ask what HM is . i love ratatouille.
Home made! My recipe was: Tomato juice (saved from several tins of tomatoes, or you can use a tin of tomatoes), one red pepper, one orange pepper, 2 courgettes, one aubergine, one large white onion, Italian seasoning (optional). Veggies chopped and all stewed together until peppers are softened but still with some texture. Made 8 servings.

Home made! My recipe was: Tomato juice (saved from several tins of tomatoes, or you can use a tin of tomatoes), one red pepper, one orange pepper, 2 courgettes, one aubergine, one large white onion, Italian seasoning (optional). Veggies chopped and all stewed together until peppers are softened but still with some texture. Made 8 servings.
Sad face, I love ratatouille (not the tinned stuff) but my other half hates it.

1289 cals, 98.8gm carbs of which 55.0gm sugars

B: Poached egg, bacon, tomatoes
D: Smoked haddock, boiled potato (mashed with a dash of milk), HM ratatouille
S: 80gm frozen cherries

Last edited:
@Felinia Please may I politely ask if you are losing weight with the meals you are eating? I read them each day and you make such healthy choices, makes me think I need to reconsider my own diet sometimes ! (Not for diabetes reasons as I am T1, but just my calorie intake!). 🙂

@Felinia Please may I politely ask if you are losing weight with the meals you are eating? I read them each day and you make such healthy choices, makes me think I need to reconsider my own diet sometimes ! (Not for diabetes reasons as I am T1, but just my calorie intake!). 🙂
Very slowly, which my DSN says is best. (Just updated today as I made some changes). I've lost 5kg since Christmas, and 13kg from my highest of a couple of years ago. You will see from my cals and carbs measurements, it's a bit hit and miss. According to my app I should only need 1400 cals a day and sometimes it's more.

1365 cals, 98.4gm carbs of which 51.2gm sugars

L: Ham and coleslaw sandwich
D: Roast pork, new potatoes, HM ratatouille
S: 80gm frozen cherries

Last edited:
1362 cals, 83.9gm carbs of which 39.1gm sugars

D: Gammon and pineapple, new potatoes, leeks, peas

1362 cals, 83.9gm carbs of which 39.1gm sugars

D: Gammon and pineapple, new potatoes, leeks, peas
I notice you seem to hame same cooked breakfast then a sandwich for lunch or is that just my observation. i have yoghurt fruit n nuts fir bfast if i don't cook do you have other options ? Looking out fir non meat as i find cereals and porridge a bit more prone to spike my bs.

I notice you seem to hame same cooked breakfast then a sandwich for lunch or is that just my observation. i have yoghurt fruit n nuts fir bfast if i don't cook do you have other options ? Looking out fir non meat as i find cereals and porridge a bit more prone to spike my bs.
Partly true. I do have a lot of eggs in various forms, mushrooms and/or tomatoes for breakfast with occasional grilled bacon, if I fancy some. I also have a lot of Slim shakes made up with unsweetened almond milk/water, if I have an exercise class or morning appointment. It is very rare for me to have a sandwich, but I have some coleslaw to use up at the moment. My normal lunches are either salads or home made soups. I mainly avoid bread, but I'll have half a slice of toast with my boiled egg, or one slice as the base for an open sandwich. Testing showed I can manage the occasional medium slice of wholemeal bread.

Which slim shakes? Exante?

This kind of food, which we eat at least three times a week, is giving me 'funny turns' and I have to stop. I need to do the Newcastle. :(
IMG_20230623_150335.jpg

Which slim shakes? Exante?

This kind of food, which we eat at least three times a week, is giving me 'funny turns' and I have to stop. I need to do the Newcastle. :(
View attachment 26500
These days I get Tesco Slim Shakes which are £5.50 for a pack of 10. Comes in vanilla, strawberry, chocolate and banana. Instead of making them up with semi skimmed milk, I make them up with 50/50 unsweetened almond milk/water (15p), which works out at 55p+15p=70p per serving. 134cals and 9.2gm carbs.
I have used Exante in the past but they are very much more expensive and almost double the carb value. I have also used SlimFast which is also more expensive.
I have no doubt I would enjoy your plate of food and pay for afterwards - in the smallest room and on my glucose monitor!!!

Partly true. I do have a lot of eggs in various forms, mushrooms and/or tomatoes for breakfast with occasional grilled bacon, if I fancy some. I also have a lot of Slim shakes made up with unsweetened almond milk/water, if I have an exercise class or morning appointment. It is very rare for me to have a sandwich, but I have some coleslaw to use up at the moment. My normal lunches are either salads or home made soups. I mainly avoid bread, but I'll have half a slice of toast with my boiled egg, or one slice as the base for an open sandwich. Testing showed I can manage the occasional medium slice of wholemeal bread.
Yes, I am testing and I am trying German Rye although I have a long way to go before I do know what suits me. You are doing great so I am trying to steal your ideas.

Well, the troublesome wisdom tooth is gone, along with the pain!! So it's soft food for a couple of weeks and nothing too hot. Car finally being fixed today, so I'll stay indoors, watch the rain and do the ironing.

1204 cals, 96.3gm carbs of which 37.0gm sugars

B: Chocolate slim shake
L: Scrambled egg and a spoon of baked beans
D: Fish pie, leeks, peas

Morning all. The sun is back today after yesterday's storms, and I'm off to hospital 30 miles away for my annual glaucoma review. Will be having lunch out due to the difficult timing of my appointment.

Update: Car broke down on the way to the hospital and I just got towed to the garage by the AA. Off the road for at least a week!

986 cals, 84.9gm carbs of which 50.5gm sugars

B: Boiled egg and soldiers
L: HM squash, red pepper and sweet potato soup
D: Gammon and pineapple, new potatoes, leeks, peas, carrots

Last edited:
Yay as I prefer the Tesco shakes. Will look out almond milk, I've never had it. Thanks for the info @Felinia

Using up the last of my bread today, I'm a weirdo. I could just chuck it to the birdies instead of the parrot food, there's no excuse really. 🙄 Very interesting to know the carbs, I wish I could count. A 100 is a bit steep for sure. On Atkins Induction you can only have 20 all day!

This is my fave cafe lunch, chilli jacket and salad with lots of mayo. 🙄

IMG_20230128_150944 M33 Jennys Cafe Sale treat for me and daughter - my fave chilli jacket and...jpg

Back