Food ideas with photos

Yummy breakfast this morning. 14g of carbs and 414 calories. Who would have guessed, felt very indulgent

2 poached eggs, one done to perfection the other slightly overcooked but still edible
Crispy bacon 2 rashers
2 vegan sausages
cherry tomatoes

Full English minus  Few carbs.jpg

And before anyone asks, I like my food well done 🙂

Results of a couple of hours in the kitchen....

Three pots of real marmalade. I froze half a kilo of Seville oranges when they were in season and together with a kilo of sugar and a litre of water they were turned into three pots of high flavour marmalade. "A kilo of sugar!!!!" I hear you saying with great alarm and horror. Well, with about a quarter of a teaspoon on my morning slice of toast, those three pots will last me until next March when the Sevilles are back and at that rate, my system will cope without problems whilst my taste buds will be satisfied. Carbs per pot might be horrific but carbs per portion no problem especially if it is so good the portion size is tiny.

Also five pots of lumpy veg soup using up old veg and some new veg including the chopped up stalks and shredded leaves from the cauliflower destined for tomorrow's tea. The pots are very handy. Found them in Morrisons and they are perfect reusable one portion containers.
I am coming to the conclusion a tiny bit of sugar or honey here and there, wisely used, is preferable to a significant amount of artificial sweetener.... which obviously doesn't do the job with jam/marmalade anyway.

Back from the Algarve which didn’t go well food wise but had a great time. Whilst there got my latest results down from 53mmol (first diagnosis) to 45 mol so please with that and have lost 25 pounds too. But cholesterol has gone up so now heed to cut down on the fats which I was probably eating too much of. Good day food wise yesterday. Husband bought great little pan that you don’t even need fry light with yo fry eggs. Had them in two slices Liv Life bread. In the evening made simple chicken curry using the really low fat Philadelphia, alpro unsweetened coconut drink and curry powder. My husband makes the red cabbage with a little apple cider vinegar so have that instead of rice. Was so good.
Have Christmas lunch at Millet and Carter today so can’t slip.

Attachments

• 0D2D7040-E4D8-4EE6-BE9B-5516F163DE8F.jpeg
    0D2D7040-E4D8-4EE6-BE9B-5516F163DE8F.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 12
  • C55A5C16-5D81-4E0F-B844-83A57B1A5E66.jpeg
    C55A5C16-5D81-4E0F-B844-83A57B1A5E66.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 12
F2B7F585-05D0-40E0-A127-C5BBDE13B494.jpeg
Renewed efforts at dieting and counting calories have begun. Made cottage pie yesterday, in the slow cooker. 1 portion eaten and 4 in the freezer.

The base had 3% fat extra lean mince, onion, 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, 1 pack mushrooms, 1 tin chopped tomatoes, 200g frozen peas and a sachet of seasoning. The topping was carrot and swede mash (I just bought this premade). I topped with eatlean cheese and had with steamed veg (microwaved from frozen) and a bit of butter.

The meal in total was 449 calories and 31g carbs, and 18g of fibre.

I did also make chilli yesterday but no photo of that

20221211_202930.jpg
Last night's tea, still had 80g of my packet of precooked jasmine rice to use up from fried rice experiments but no chicken left, so microwaved some "country veg" (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots & peas) then fried the rice in toasted sesame oil to warm it, added the veg, then added egg & milk mix, a sprinkle of soy sauce and 30g cheddar and turned it into an omelette. Very tasty, about 39g carbs, 0.6mmol BG rise to 6.6 (though I had done quite a bit of walking yesterday afternoon too)

20221211_131100.jpg

This was lunch yesterday, reheated portion of cabbage & sausagemeat casserole from the freezer, with a toasted mini tortilla, about 35g carbs

20221210_133726.jpg

This was the chicken fried rice on Saturday, forgot to get a post meal BG so not sure how much impact it had, bit more rice in this portion so about 43g carbs total

warm chicken salad last night (only warmed the chicken not the lettuce or tomatoes!), dressing is raspberry vincotto (a balsamic reduction)

And Wednesday was pork chipolatas with chicory which I roasted in the dripping from the sausages

Attachments

• 20221215_204923.jpg
    20221215_204923.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221214_204701.jpg
    20221214_204701.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3
Yesterday I made a Suffolk hotpot, using up half a pack of ham trimmings, a small onion, a pint of milk, cornflour, a mug of sweetcorn, 150gm grated cheese and left over boiled potatoes. It went in a lasagne tray and made 4 helpings.

Suffolk hotpot.jpg

Another Hot Pot.
A bit of lamb mince, onions, mushrooms, peas, garlic, herbs, in a dark beer gravy.
No potatoes in the house, but a mix of sliced carrot, parsnips, and cauliflower to top substituted.
Cooked in the slow cooker, and waiting to be eaten when we came back from the gym and aqua aerobics. 🙂

IMG_20221219_202253_0.jpg

IMG_20221219_202740_2.jpg

That looks good @travellor but I'm not a fan of lamb so I won't be coming by to steal it :rofl:

20221219_195902.jpg a bit of a mezze for me tonight. Sweet & soy chicken skewers, lime pickle naan chips, green beans, grapes, fancy cherry tomatoes, Caesar dressing and feta cheese. All except the chips/crackers were free through Olio too, and they were yellow label.

Total approx 50g carbs

This thread makes me sooooooo hungry! 😛

Did everyone eat lots at Christmas?

not very traditional but I made a puff pastry topped pie. Roasted veg and a tomato and garlic sauce because gravy wouldn't have been a good idea.

There was also some apple and pear crumble with custard. some cake.
Lots of snacks throughout the day

PXL_20221225_132924599-01.jpeg

Tandoori baked paneer and veg wraps with salad and minty mayo.

PXL_20221227_200409151-01.jpeg

Just had a disappointing diabetic review so am resolved to do better. Today's food is :

B: Tesco slim shake with water and unsweetened almond milk
L: 1 egg omelette with 1 trimmed rasher and 1/2 medium tomato on 8" plate
D: 1 chicken thigh and mixed vegetable casserole, red cabbage, broccoli on 10" plate
S: 1 Benecol cholesterol lowering drink, 250ml semi skimmed milk for drinks, 1 sachet Fybogel, lots of water

986 cals, 53.5gm carbs of which 53.2gm sugars

Bacon and tomato omelette.JPGChicken thigh and vegetable casserole.jpg

Last edited:
Back