Food ideas with photos

I need to rethink eating habits for sure, when I do 'low carb' it's all bacon and eggs! :( I'm amazed at some of the pics on this thread. I showed them all to my brother and he was very impressed with your weight loss @Jenny65 and so am I. Very inspiring.

My tomato harvest. I ate the lot for breakfast. Maybe used a tad too much olive oil. View attachment 22705
Its amazing how many lovely meals you can still eat and lose weight and lower your BG, I think the biggest tip given to me was to have lots of veg and that has helped keep me full. In the past I struggled because the diets I followed were so restrictive I always ended up being so hungry I would binge and regain after a while. I had a little gain today of 2 pounds but don't believe it's a genuine gain as although I went to a party and did have over my calorie allowance, I didn't have enough to gain even a pound, more likely to be connected to me being constipated for the last 8 days (sorry TMI)

This place has really been my biggest help, everyone is so friendly and supportive, X

I had a little gain today of 2 pounds but don't believe it's a genuine gain as although I went to a party and did have over my calorie allowance, I didn't have enough to gain even a pound, more likely to be connected to me being constipated for the last 8 days (sorry TMI)

Oh wow! That is awful about the constipation. I hope you don't mean you haven't gone at all in that time. What have you tried? For me.... more fibre has been key and whilst I am not a great fan of supplements, increasing my fibre intake with psyllium husk and chia has made a massive positive difference to my bowel health that makes a huge difference to everything else including mental health.

PS. So pleased you went out to the party and let your hair down a bit with a glass of red wine and some food treats. This is important to your overall wellbeing and by the sound of it you were very moderate about portion size which is the way to do it. I very much doubt your slight weight increase is due to your night out so don't let it upset your emotional state. You have already lost masses of weight and you should know that it is natural for it to fluctuate a bit. I hope you had lots of positive comments from people about your weight loss and that you felt more confident in yourself. I hope you get your bowel situation resolved soon. XX

Oh wow! That is awful about the constipation. I hope you don't mean you haven't gone at all in that time. What have you tried? For me.... more fibre has been key and whilst I am not a great fan of supplements, increasing my fibre intake with psyllium husk and chia has made a massive positive difference to my bowel health that makes a huge difference to everything else including mental health.

PS. So pleased you went out to the party and let your hair down a bit with a glass of red wine and some food treats. This is important to your overall wellbeing and by the sound of it you were very moderate about portion size which is the way to do it. I very much doubt your slight weight increase is due to your night out so don't let it upset your emotional state. You have already lost masses of weight and you should know that it is natural for it to fluctuate a bit. I hope you had lots of positive comments from people about your weight loss and that you felt more confident in yourself. I hope you get your bowel situation resolved soon. XX
Thank you so much for your lovely post Barbara, Ive noticed you are really supportive of lots of posters on here and help so many of us keep strong.

I am relieved (literally) to share that my constipation problem is no more 🙂 I probably shouldnt weigh daily, I like to keep an eye on it and looking at the chart my app produces helps me see that even with a blip like today its a good downward trend on the whole.

Yesterday night was so much fun, lots of dancing and laughter with loved ones, a mixture of family and friends, always the best when spent with a mixture of people. My sort of nephew (not by blood but he calls me his aunt as known him since birth and been friends with his parents since we were 17(40 years!) He got engaged to one of my daughter friends, my 2 sons were there (my younger son got married himself in July and my eldest got engaged recently as well and he is having a party on 12th November so another night of celebrating ahead.

The food looked amazing last night and it was possible to avoid carbs, they had an amazing selection of cheeses and there was a black cheese, carbon I think and it tasted like dairylea triangles. I was a bit put off by the colour but glad I was persuaded to try it as it was so good. My favourite cheese which has cranberries in it, was there but I didnt have any because thought the fruit may not be good, and to be honest if I had a taste I would want to scoff the lot. My nephews fiances mum did all the cooking and if I wasnt diabetic I would end up 2-6 pounds heavier for real 🙂 She had a selection of breads and crackers to dip in the baked camembert and macaroni cheese, plus chili and rice, and all the other normal party things, people were encouraged to help themselves to a pick n mix selection of sweets which I avoided but what a lovely spread!

The youngsters were all sitting around chatting while me and the mum were dancing away on the patio (such a mild night), weird how the older people seemed to have more energy that the teens/twenty somethings.

I hope you have also had a lovely weekend, so far no trick or treaters have appeared but I did get some sweets in, just in case x

Rice. Veg. Salmon. And you know what, it was pretty decent.

PXL_20221031_192502613-01.jpeg

Lunch. Turned on the slow cooker this morning
tomato lots of veg and kidney beans. Really wet soupy stew sort of thing served with a half packet of microwave rice because BG was 4 and I wanted carbs. Normally this for lunch would be without the rice.

PXL_20221101_123434197-01.jpeg

That looks delicious. Think it is about time I give a small portion of rice a go.
I prefer making my own but the bags of rice I can easily split in 2 portions.

Different rice has a different impact for me.
Risotto I can't have much of
Plain white rice is ok but not great.
Basmati white rice is great, not a big problem at all.
Basmati brown rice doesn't have a huge impact.

How did you do that Spoiler: About me thing? That's really clever is that. 🙂

IMG_20221105_205621_1CS.jpg

Something I haven't seen before.
Brisket steak, all the fat cut off as bought.
Slow cooked with root veg, mashed, broad beans, mushroom and onion, and a couple of Yorkshire puddings, then the juice made into a gravy to finish.

How did you do that Spoiler: About me thing? That's really clever is that. 🙂
When you type a message in reply or in your sig if you use the message board tags or click the 3 dots in formatting options at the far right next to the 🙂 until you see the spoiler icon. Eye with a line through it. I like the signature bit nice and hidden away makes the post look neat.

Last edited:
When you type a message in reply or in your sig if you use the message board tags or click the 3 dots in formatting options at the far right next to the 🙂 until you see the spoiler icon. Eye with a line through it. I like the signature bit nice and hidden away makes the post look neat.
I will give it a whirl. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :D

Love this thread, some great ideas. Thanks. 😎

20221112_122613.jpg
similar breakfast to what I've posted a couple of times 😉 - double portion as it's brunch as a weekend and I had a lie in. Ham, sliced peppers, eggs, milk and a bit of double cream in this batch. I did it in a lasagne type baking dish and cut into portions. The double portion is 9g carbs.

20221111_175325.jpg
Last night's tea - Broccoli Cheese (standard cheese sauce made with a flour and butter roux) with some fried chorizo discs (these happened to be a halal turkey version that I bought to try as it was on offer). This meal was 36g carbs.

View attachment 22888
similar breakfast to what I've posted a couple of times 😉 - double portion as it's brunch as a weekend and I had a lie in. Ham, sliced peppers, eggs, milk and a bit of double cream in this batch. I did it in a lasagne type baking dish and cut into portions. The double portion is 9g carbs.

View attachment 22889
Last night's tea - Broccoli Cheese (standard cheese sauce made with a flour and butter roux) with some fried chorizo discs (these happened to be a halal turkey version that I bought to try as it was on offer). This meal was 36g carbs.
How was the turkey chorizo? I’ve never seen that before. Does it still release lots of tasty oil?

I don't know if this is getting boring but I eat the same stuff quite a lot. This was really nice.

Carbs...
35g rice.
6g tofu say 8g to include the marinade ingredients.

Let's say 45g as a guess to include everything but I tend to not bother counting veg usually unless I include carrots/corn/or anything sweet or anything potatoey

IMG_20221112_185032_071006-01.jpeg

Edit. I don't usually post numbers but.
5.1 before dinner
5.7 after 2.5hours.
And that includes a square of 85% dark chocolate for dessert

Last edited:
How was the turkey chorizo? I’ve never seen that before. Does it still release lots of tasty oil?
It still releases some but maybe a little less than the standard pork version. Plenty enough to crispy itself with no added oil. I hadn't seen it before coming across it in a supermarket in an area slightly away from where I usually shop, I think from the range of halal foods in the fridge section it must have been an area with a significant Muslim population.

This was mid week rush job a few days ago... Instant couscous and a cooked the temphe in a sandwich press/griddle.

Plant power temphe 2g
Couscous 35g.
Not sure about the peas.

PXL_20221110_190944643-01.jpeg
After dinner reading was higher than I would have like but I also had a triple chocolate cookie from the bakery section of the supermarket so it's understandable.

Mid week "I don't have any meetings to rush for" lunch.

Thin slice of carrot and fennel seed homemade bread - toasted
Garlic mushrooms
Salad leaves and cucumber tomato celery.

PXL_20221110_133146766-01.jpeg

This was mid week rush job a few days ago... Instant couscous and a cooked the temphe in a sandwich press/griddle.

Plant power temphe 2g
Couscous 35g.
Not sure about the peas.

View attachment 22898
After dinner reading was higher than I would have like but I also had a triple chocolate cookie from the bakery section of the supermarket so it's understandable.
What are them green things? (Not the peas)

Last edited:
Back