Food ideas with photos

What them green things? (Not the peas)
Haha I'm glad you clarified when you said not the peas - j/k.
Those are Olives from Lidl, really nice olives actually.

I buy 2 tubs of olives from Lidl every week. I love olives, especially with Feta or Manchego cheese.

I buy 2 tubs of olives from Lidl every week. I love olives, especially with Feta or Manchego cheese.
Haven't seen the manchego ones but will keep an eye out. I really like these.

The fresh garlic and chilli ones are really good too. They go really well in pasta sauces.

As messy as they get the olives with the stone still in them all taste much better.

Urgh, I really can’t stomach olives. :(
I’ve tried and tried but that bitter taste is horrid. Yak!!!

Urgh, I really can’t stomach olives. :(
I’ve tried and tried but that bitter taste is horrid. Yak!!!
I thought that when I first tried them and the second time and the third..... but somewhere along the line, I persevered and acquired the taste and I am so pleased I did because they are really good for me now as a diabetic.... Healthy fat and fibre but almost no carbs.
Haven't seen the manchego ones but will keep an eye out. I really like these.

The fresh garlic and chilli ones are really good too. They go really well in pasta sauces.

As messy as they get the olives with the stone still in them all taste much better.
I haven't tried the chilli and garlic ones but I like the lemon and herb ones and mixed ones with Feta. The Manchego ones seem to be more seasonal rather than a regular item, so I sometimes buy their speciality Manchego from the cheese section and cut it up into small chunks to have with the olives. The peppadew peppers stuffed with feta are gorgeous if you fancy a sweeter slightly spicy treat. I need 2 units of insulin if I eat a whole tub at once and it is hard to stop half way, so about 20g carbs but totally worth it.

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 8.11.56 PM.png

I made a sort of fried pizza yesterday using a hybrid recipe I put together of a keto pancake and pizza dough recipe. It was okay but too pancakey. So last night I used some of the dough to have a go at a cinnamon roll which was okay but still not great.
I left the dough overnight in the fridge and this morning it struck me it might make good doughnuts.
So I formed it into doughnut shapes and fried them in ghee and then rolled them in Demerara style erythritol.
I will never be able to make them again because I cannot for the life of me remember the ingredients let alone the measurements. But I enjoyed them and my blood sugars stayed completely stable with no rise at all from eating them.
I used the usual ingredients, almond flour, oat fibre, vital wheat gluten, flaxseed, psyllium husk, pea protein, xanthan gum etc etc used yeast and cream of tartar and bicarb.

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 8.12.06 PM.png
Chewy, greasy and doughnutty. With very few carbs as the only carby stuff was the almond flour and there were two tablespoons in the dough that made a large pizza, two large cinammon rolls and two large doughnuts.

PXL_20221122_122345711.jpg DIY deconstructed bounty bar.

Ingredients
85% dark chocolate
A hammer
A coconut

Method
Release frustrations on coconut with hammer* outdoors so as to not damage your kitchen.
Discard the shell.
Wash coconut
Slice coconut
Serve with a chunk of really dark chocolate

* Safety equipment suggested but not mandatory. (Not listed)

20221122_202609.jpg roasted sprouts with a piece of Cathedral City cheese and onion quiche - total 21g carbs, about 3/4 of those in the quiche. (I could probably have used a smaller plate but then they'd have been squashed up :rofl: )

Not posted anything lately as I've been eating absolute garbage with me still being at the hospital full time with Sue so my BG's have really suffered , I have now found a Tesco store and have began to eat salads again as there are no options for any hot meals

A bad day for me foodwise

Breakfast
Porridge with a square of dark chocolate melted in it and topped with frozen cherries, plus a benecol drink - 499 calories and 63g carbs (Normally this is lower carbs and cals but had 60g of oats and not the normal 40g)

Lunch
M&S meal for one shepherd's pie, with additional veg of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower - 552 calories and 53 carbs

TOTAL CALORIES - 1051 - So 149 left of my 1200 allowance
TOTAL CARBS - 116 - So 14g left of my 130g allowance

I probably wont eat anything else, I prefer to keep my carbs under 100g but this isnt the end of the world and tomorrow is a new day, had a ready meal shepherds pie today due to time constraints and hunger but I now feel stuffed and not enjoying that feeling which I can only think is down to the high carb content

A bad day for me foodwise

Breakfast
Porridge with a square of dark chocolate melted in it and topped with frozen cherries, plus a benecol drink - 499 calories and 63g carbs (Normally this is lower carbs and cals but had 60g of oats and not the normal 40g)

Lunch
M&S meal for one shepherd's pie, with additional veg of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower - 552 calories and 53 carbs

TOTAL CALORIES - 1051 - So 149 left of my 1200 allowance
TOTAL CARBS - 116 - So 14g left of my 130g allowance

I probably wont eat anything else, I prefer to keep my carbs under 100g but this isnt the end of the world and tomorrow is a new day, had a ready meal shepherds pie today due to time constraints and hunger but I now feel stuffed and not enjoying that feeling which I can only think is down to the high carb content
My bad day dealing with an IT department. I didn't for the sweet high carb stuff but hit the peanut butter and almonds. Still, am full and tomorrow is another day.

20221128_200814.jpg20221128_204814.jpg this was all intended to be on the plate at the same time yesterday but the pumpkin took longer to cook than anticipated...

Roast duck (fried on skin side for 5 minutes and fat drained, then 1 min to seal on meat side, first), roast parsnips (in olive oil) and roast pumpkin sprinkled with garam masala. I left almost all the skin if the duck as I'm not a fan

About 19-20g carbs

20221129_183052.jpg and tonight - tenderstem broccoli, "frittata" (salami, coleslaw and egg/ milk mixture sprinkled with mozzarella), and cheddar & onion bites. I had 2 squares of dark chocolate with hazelnuts too for a total of about 25g carbs

Results of a couple of hours in the kitchen....

Three pots of real marmalade. I froze half a kilo of Seville oranges when they were in season and together with a kilo of sugar and a litre of water they were turned into three pots of high flavour marmalade. "A kilo of sugar!!!!" I hear you saying with great alarm and horror. Well, with about a quarter of a teaspoon on my morning slice of toast, those three pots will last me until next March when the Sevilles are back and at that rate, my system will cope without problems whilst my taste buds will be satisfied. Carbs per pot might be horrific but carbs per portion no problem especially if it is so good the portion size is tiny.

Also five pots of lumpy veg soup using up old veg and some new veg including the chopped up stalks and shredded leaves from the cauliflower destined for tomorrow's tea. The pots are very handy. Found them in Morrisons and they are perfect reusable one portion containers.

Attachments

• cooking.JPG
    cooking.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 3
Back