Ask Diabetes UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Hannah. I only joined the forum this week. And it is brill. I am still learning with my diagnosis last oct 2015. I wanted to ask that im aware that there are certain talks from Diabetes Uk but ive noticed that theae tend to be on week days. I like many would shifts so may be able ti go to one in week. Are there any on weekends as well? Thanks 🙂 ps if so where do i find a list of upcoming events.

Hi matt - glad to hear your finding the forum so helpful. We run quite a few different events across the nations, can you confirm which talks you are referring to in particular? Do you have a link to a webpage maybe? Thank you!

Hi Hannah. Yes thanks im really finding it helping. I have not seen any links in the past. Just events advertised on notice boards etc. The talks were like for newbies who have been diagnosed. 🙂

I have just joined this form in the last month was diagnosed Type2 diabetic last month. It their any website / books etc that are useful to help explain diabeties to my children as they have loads of questions.

Hi Carol

If you go to the the newbies section of the forum, there is a very useful link pinned to the top of the list with references to articles and books that are tried and tested. They are separated into T1 and T2 son it is easy to pick out what you need. If you have any questions just keep asking. If it is on a specific topic try creating a new thread as people are mor likely to pick it up. Don't worry if you get in a muddle as Northerner will come along and move things to a more appropriate thread if necessary and let you know why. All very helpful.

Thank you so much for the reply SB2015. . I will have a look at the newbie section. It's hard for me to get my head around let alone my 2 kids. !! But I have read some great advice from this site and it has helped a lot .

Thank you so much for the reply SB2015. . I will have a look at the newbie section. It's hard for me to get my head around let alone my 2 kids. !! But I have read some great advice from this site and it has helped a lot .

Hi Carol, welcome to the forum 🙂 - there is lots of great advice from folk on the forum and the newbie section to support you.
A lot of the information that is available for children on the Diabetes UK website is aimed at helping children to understand Type 1 diabetes, which would not quite be relevant in them understanding your condition. There are a lot of resources, including story books (Lily Diabetes made a great one in partnership with Disney) and videos, however, if you do not manage your diabetes with insulin, and you are Type 2, the informaiotn could be misleading.
Something that I thought may be helpful is the below video, which explains the differnce between Type 1 & Type 2 diabetes - although I suppose it may depend on the age your children. You raise a good point though, perhaps something for us to look into 🙄
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/What-is-diabetes/Diabetes-and-the-body/

Hi Hannah. Yes thanks im really finding it helping. I have not seen any links in the past. Just events advertised on notice boards etc. The talks were like for newbies who have been diagnosed. 🙂
So sorry Matt - I never got back to you on this! It sounds like there's perhaps some events locally to you if you have seen details on notice boards? The best thing to do is contact your Regional Office as they will know what is happening in your area. Depending on what part of the country your based in, you can find contact details on the website . If you select your region, you can also view 'Local Groups' and see if there's one listed near you, as often Local Groups hold events as well. 🙂

I would like to ask for my dad, who has recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, whether there is an NHS service for him to help him manage his diabetes, medicines, lifestyle and get his checks done all at once. He is working 9-5 everyday, so he would rather not come in on many different occasions, as he does not want to take a day off work. If there isn't a service that encompasses everything, what different services are there available to him?

I would like to ask for my dad, who has recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, whether there is an NHS service for him to help him manage his diabetes, medicines, lifestyle and get his checks done all at once. He is working 9-5 everyday, so he would rather not come in on many different occasions, as he does not want to take a day off work. If there isn't a service that encompasses everything, what different services are there available to him?

Hi Tasha and welcome to the forum 🙂 - I would recommend starting your own Thread to allow other members to respond and share their experiences. However, I can confirm that there are courses available through the NHS which cover all aspects of diabetes management as you've mentioned. Services will vary depending on your local area but your dad can make enquiries through his health care team. The main two courses for Type 2 Diabetes are DESMOND and X-PERT. There are also online learning tools if he finds it difficult to fit the course around his working hours - details of all course options here.

Still confused,
I attended the diabetic clinic for the first time yesterday,
The trained nurse gave a very in depth explanation about the condition and how it affected the body.
She was followed by two dieticians who explained what food we should eat.
The contention was, NO FOOD IS FORBIDDEN, cereal, bananas, bread, small slice off cake is OK, BUT MODERATE THE PORTIONS. Fresh fruit juice is OK.
Diabetic food is a NO NO. So having changed my diet, I now find I was eating all the right foods all along.

Hi Bornot

Everyone's own tolerance for any food will be different to the next person's - you have to treat your body as an experiment and learn by results.

What results? - the results shown to you on the screen of your own blood glucose monitor after eating whatever food or drink you want to test.

I personally wouldn't dare eat a whole banana for instance or mine would be nearer 20 than the 5-ish of a non diabetic - and as they don't keep after being unzipped I simply haven't bought any for nearly 40 years! My late mother in law, a T2 was exactly the same. Half an apple or pear though will only increase my glucose by about 3 - but I still can't eat it without jabbing extra insulin for it.

Neither of us would have known that (other than both feeling lousy after eating them) without testing.

Still confused,
I attended the diabetic clinic for the first time yesterday,
The trained nurse gave a very in depth explanation about the condition and how it affected the body.
She was followed by two dieticians who explained what food we should eat.
The contention was, NO FOOD IS FORBIDDEN, cereal, bananas, bread, small slice off cake is OK, BUT MODERATE THE PORTIONS. Fresh fruit juice is OK.
Diabetic food is a NO NO. So having changed my diet, I now find I was eating all the right foods all along.
As Jenny suggests, it is only through testing that you can determine your own particular tolerances for things. Please have a look at Test,Review, Adjust by Alan S to understand how this works 🙂 Tolerances can vary widely from person to person (it's thought our own individual gut bacteria, unique to each one of us, may be a strong factor in this), so there simply is no 'one-size-fits-all'. It would be better to say you can eat anything you tolerate well, always in moderation 🙂

The dietician was correct about 'diabetic' food - it contains sweeteners that can cause gastric upset, and most contains just as much carbohydrate as the 'real stuff', so there is no benefit from eating it in preference 🙂

The dietician was correct about 'diabetic' food - it contains sweeteners that can cause gastric upset, and most contains just as much carbohydrate as the 'real stuff', so there is no benefit from eating it in preference 🙂
Plus the fact that, as with "organic" food (seriously, is there any food which doesn't contain carbon?🙄), the label is mainly an excuse to charge a premium price. 😱 The real thing is not only healthier, it's usually cheaper.

As Jenny suggests, it is only through testing that you can determine your own particular tolerances for things. Please have a look at Test,Review, Adjust by Alan S to understand how this works 🙂 Tolerances can vary widely from person to person (it's thought our own individual gut bacteria, unique to each one of us, may be a strong factor in this), so there simply is no 'one-size-fits-all'. It would be better to say you can eat anything you tolerate well, always in moderation 🙂

Well, I'm not sure that's exactly right. The sugar alcohols do contain carbohydrates , which contain calories, but they're not digested well - it does differ for individuals, but as I understand it, you might only metabolise a small proportion of those carbs - the rest goes into the lower gut where it ferments causing those gastric upsets you mentioned. I personally find I can tolerate many of them well and they don't cause too much trouble and don't spike my BG. Erythritol in particular I've had great success with for baking, and I've not had any bowel problems. Again, I think if you tolerate it, eat it in moderation.

Plus the fact that, as with "organic" food (seriously, is there any food which doesn't contain carbon?🙄), the label is mainly an excuse to charge a premium price. 😱 The real thing is not only healthier, it's usually cheaper.
But, Carbon is a chemical - are you saying it contains chemicals??? I've heard they're really bad for you, the sheeple need to be told.

Salt, sugar and water are also all chemicals, so it's probably too late. 🙄:D

The sugar alcohols do contain carbohydrates , which contain calories, but they're not digested well - it does differ for individuals, but as I understand it, you might only metabolise a small proportion of those carbs - the rest goes into the lower gut where it ferments causing those gastric upsets you mentioned.

I find that for me, sugar alcohols effectively convert gram for gram as if they were sugar in the first place AND cause upsets, giving the worst of both worlds.

Interestingly, the upset I get isn't the dreaded laxative effect, it's something far, far worse....

Hello everyone, as Northerner has kindly mentioned, I’m here to answer any niggling questions you may have about Diabetes UK, pass on your views or thoughts and offer insight to things happening in the organisations. I’m really looking forward to getting to know you all and become part of this very supportive community. 🙂:D

Hi Hannah - feeling a bit silly, as - I can't remember (dunno why...) if I should book a GP appt, after my 6 monthly check -up if all was fine...?

Hi Hannah - feeling a bit silly, as - I can't remember (dunno why...) if I should book a GP appt, after my 6 monthly check -up if all was fine...?

Hi Maggie, welcome to the forum :D - Not silly at all! Whether your previous results were fine or not, you should ensure that you're getting checks in relation to your diabetes, each year. The checks should be done as a minimum, on an annual basis. If you're referring to the HbA1c blood test, some practices may favour doing this every 6 months or more, if they feel its necessary for the individual. It might be best to check with your practice what their process is, if they do them annually, maybe you can arrange your next appointment in advance now?
Either way, even if all is fine, still good to keep getting your diabetes check-up 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back