Ask Diabetes UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gwen

Just read this article quoting DUK etc.

Observe the illustrations - and yes I know they're most likely 'stock' photos the Telegraph has used - but who on EARTH thinks using the index finger for fingertip testing is a good idea? Owww! - which is precisely why for at least 50 years (we were all boiling up pee before that anyway) we've always been told NOT to use that finger!

Hi Gwen

Observe the illustrations - and yes I know they're most likely 'stock' photos the Telegraph has used - but who on EARTH thinks using the index finger for fingertip testing is a good idea? Owww! - which is precisely why for at least 50 years (we were all boiling up pee before that anyway) we've always been told NOT to use that finger!
Hi Jenny
Should there be a link to an article or is it a reference to an earlier one.

Interestingly I have never been told not to use my index finger, or I had forgotten (which is just as likely)
I now have very hard ends to all my fingers, pitted with lots of holes, and none of them seem to hurt much now.
On the rare occasions it does hurt that prompts me to change to the next lancet. The accuchek one is so fine and seems to last for ages.

If only I had listened/been told about which fingers to use. I know not to use the pads but even then ....

I only got told not to use my thumb, not why, and nobody mentioned fingers or where to do it. The nice leaflet said to use the side.

A very simple reason why it's not a good idea to use the index finger - and it makes perfect sense what's more - we all have more nerve endings in the pad of our index finger hence it ruddy well hurts more than any of the others!

I prescribe the purchase of a pumice stone to be used little and often on both pads and sides as required, followed by hand cream a couple of times a day and always before bed. If you don't get rid of hard skin/scar tissue the handcream will do no good on it's own.

If it's really bad sorry! - use something more abrasive eg a scant amount of something like Ajax liquid on the pumice stone but only every couple of days at the most in between the soap and pumice.

Ok so index is next to little?

Or not :D

So Peter Pointer. He’s def not my most delicate finger, that would be the one next to the little finger. Left index and middle are my two go to fingers.

:confused: I use all my fingers and thumbs, in rotation - that way I have 20 places to stick my lancet. I often do 10 tests in a day, sometimes more, so having fewer would not work for me at all. My index finger is my toughest finger, and doesn't hurt at all (I sometimes have to turn the dial up to 3 to do that one, I use it set to 2 for the others).

I understood that the reason not to use the index finger for testing was so that, in a worst case scenario, it was still sensitive enough to read braille. But I don't think that's relevant if you're sensibly using the sides of your fingers anyway, and not the pads.

My thumbs & index fingers are the least sensitive & hurt the least although I have to set my softclix to 1.5 when I use 0.5, the lowest setting, for my other fingers. My ring fingers are the most sensitive & hurt the most: it’s why in the beauty industry you’re suppose to use the ring fingers to gently pat in eye cream around your eyes; the most sensitive finger capable of giving the least pressure & gentlest touch on the delicate skin around the eyes!🙄

I too use both sides for 20 testing points: which I need at times of insulin dosage changes; going through insulin reductions this past week & testing loads to head off hypos!😱

Well I now know
- which finger to use to apply eye cream
- how to care for my fingers with a pumice stone
- that I am not the only one whose insulin changes are wobbling with the weather

Who would have thought our forum could be so wide in its info!!

Hi Gwen

Hi Jenny. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will certainly pass this on to the content team, as I'm sure they will be keen to make sure any advice or information given in articles that quotes us is in line with our policy and the NHS's policy. Thanks very much!

I can only use the little finger on my left hand and struggle to get blood out of that one too. I'm just not a bleeder!

I can only use the little finger on my left hand and struggle to get blood out of that one too. I'm just not a bleeder!
I also only use my little fingers - usually the right hand as I'm left-handed. Occasionally, I will use the fingers next to the little ones, but never ring, index or thumb 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back