Ask Diabetes UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had Kenalog steroid injections in my both legs on Tuesday last week and my sugar levels sky rocketed and I am now taking extra insulin and Nova Rapid. Does anyone know how long this effect will last I am now on my 8th day.
It varies from person to person.

Hello everyone, as Northerner has kindly mentioned, I’m here to answer any niggling questions you may have about Diabetes UK, pass on your views or thoughts and offer insight to things happening in the organisations. I’m really looking forward to getting to know you all and become part of this very supportive community. 🙂:D
HOW DOES IT WORK i WANT TO ASK A QUESTION AND REACH AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE

have had Kenalog steroid injections in my both legs on Tuesday last week and my sugar levels sky rocketed and I am now taking extra insulin and Nova Rapid. Does anyone know how long this effect will last I am now on my 8th day.

HOW DOES IT WORK i WANT TO ASK A QUESTION AND REACH AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE
Hi David, if you post questions to the "General Message-board" then you will likely get an answer quickly (depending on time of day)

Shannon - perhaps most people haven't had those jabs so can't answer your question. Why don't you ring your D clinic? I had a steroid jab (no idea what name) in a shoulder 20-odd years ago and that didn't affect my BG at all after that day - didn't help my shoulder either LOL

Even needing to use steroid cream somewhere on their body affects some people - so I'd say @grovesey was correct!

have had Kenalog steroid injections in my both legs on Tuesday last week and my sugar levels sky rocketed and I am now taking extra insulin and Nova Rapid. Does anyone know how long this effect will last I am now on my 8th day.
Having had steroid injections the raised BG has lasted for two weeks for me, but on another occasion just a few days. I now always ask how much they are giving and keep a record, so that I have more idea of what to expect. The more they give me the more insulin I need and the longer it lasts, but it varies for each person.

It does depend on the dosage of steroids. When I had an injection directly into my hip joint, I had to increase my long acting by 50% and boluses the same for just over two weeks. Tennis elbow, about 5 days. High dose oral steroids, again, up insulin by 50%, and take all the steroid tablets as a single dose in the morning.

That sounds neat and systematic, but it’s just the basis, it never runs perfectly. But in the long game, that doesn’t really matter very much.

Hello everyone, as Northerner has kindly mentioned, I’m here to answer any niggling questions you may have about Diabetes UK, pass on your views or thoughts and offer insight to things happening in the organisations. I’m really looking forward to getting to know you all and become part of this very supportive community. 🙂:D
Hi Hannah as a newbie my name is Henry and as a chef I must admit I don’t know how much sugar a day a diabetic can have? Also is there to much sugar in grapefruit to serve for breakfast. Kind regards

Hi Hannah as a newbie my name is Henry and as a chef I must admit I don’t know how much sugar a day a diabetic can have? Also is there to much sugar in grapefruit to serve for breakfast. Kind regards
Hi Henry, welcome to the forum 🙂 Diabetes is not just about sugar, which as you will know is a form of carbohydrate - all forms of carbohydrate will cause an increase in blood glucose levels, so things like rice, bread, potatoes, pasta etc. all need to be kept to a level that the person with diabetes can tolerate well. This tolerance can vary from person to person, however, so there is no simple 'amount' of carbohydrates a person should consume, it will depend on the person, whether they are on any medication, their activity levels, and a number of other factors. Some carbs will raise levels faster than others - sugar is one that will raise them quickly, as is white bread.

Is it you that has diabetes, or are you asking in a professional capacity in order to learn what food you can safely serve to someone with diabetes? I'd suggest looking at the GL (Glycaemic Load) diet, which aims to combine foods so that their overall impact will be a slow and steady release - The GL Diet for Dummies is a very good introduction 🙂

No I’m not a diabetic but my wife, one of my cooks and I have 6 residents that are too. I’m making it my priority this year to learn and gain great knowledge from people like yourself as I’m a bit ignorant on this subject - So many thanks for accepting me to the group. The reason I spoke about grapefruit is purely professional as colleague just mention the sugar in this fruit. However I have just gained knowledge from you guys saying it could be down to the medication. I was scratching my head as the grapefruit only had roughly 2gms of sugar.

Hi Henry

There are some tablets for which patients are told not to eat grapefruit, since it has an impact on the action of the medication. I now limit myself to a celebratory 1/2 grapefruit on Christmas Day and leave out the tablet the night before.

As you say there is also the fructose in fruit which, along with all carbohydrates, will be converted to glucose once inside us and released into the blood stream. Fresh fruit is one of the things that will raise a person’s blood glucose level, but not quite as quickly as a fruit juice. For that reason juices are often limited by some people, me included, as a treatment for a dangerously low blood glucose, often called a hypo.

Great that you are taking an interest in this in your professional capacity. Keep asking and we will try to help.

I wish very much that all chefs took such an interest Henry! Our eldest daughter is a chef and a number of years back took a job where one of the other chefs was T1 - only to discover PDQ that not only the rest of the staff hadn't a clue - neither did the bloke in question. Diagnosed as a child - he just sort of got overlooked - I'm older, but been there done that - as many of us long-timers were and still are. Between us - her 'on the ground' and me 'remotely' not only sorted his hypos at work out (and trained the rest to recognise them and respond INSTANTLY) - but got him to ask the right questions (helped that we were at the same hospital clinic) Not only did we get him to ask to go on a carb counting/dose adjustment course, but encouraged him to ask for a pump - he did and has always done a heck of a lot better since then.

Helped by daughter, who grew up not only with her little sis in tow, but also little sister's BF, diagnosed D when she was 3!

There's a lot of random kitchen staff at a pub in Dunchurch now, who know how to respond when we're 'off' LOL

Hi Hannah

could we have a topic(s) so people can state whether they are getting the Freestyle Libre free on the NHS particulary so people can state the name of the their local NHS trust.
So far our doctor nor our diabetes contact are bothering to get back to us, any emails sent to the local trust just do not get a reply nobody seems bothered or wish to pursue, there is an article in todays sunday daily mail stating how the NHS are sitting on this with a photo of the prime minster who uses one but no doubt she can afford them easy.

Hannah doesn't run the forum Steevo - and if you want to start such a topic - just start one!

Hi Hannah

could we have a topic(s) so people can state whether they are getting the Freestyle Libre free on the NHS particulary so people can state the name of the their local NHS trust.
So far our doctor nor our diabetes contact are bothering to get back to us, any emails sent to the local trust just do not get a reply nobody seems bothered or wish to pursue, there is an article in todays sunday daily mail stating how the NHS are sitting on this with a photo of the prime minster who uses one but no doubt she can afford them easy.

Today, we have launched a digital map which shows which areas we know have to have made flash available, which have not, and which are yet to decide. Thought you may find it interesting 🙂
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/get_involved/campaigning/flash-glucose-monitoring

thanks will do, the map is useful, Grey for us so no policy yet formed for my area, having perused a few marked as "available" and their attached policy looks to be all same/similar policies why this can't be UK wide.............looks to be very strict criteria as well with follow up and possibilties of improvement seeing the Libre removed as well.

Dear Hannah
my father has had type 1 diabetes for over 50 years. He is currently 79 and was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I'm concerned that he will soon lose the ability to monitor his blood sugar levels and administer his insulin. Is there any technology available that can measure blood sugar levels and administer appropriate levels of insulin automatically?
Many thanks
Sheila

Sheila, yes there are, possibly Insulin Pumps but there are more qualified people on here to help you than me and your local diabetic clinic should be advising you as well.

Hi Everyone (1st post for me)

A bit of history....

I've been a diabetic for 10 years now type two. Was originally just on metformin 1g then 2g then after 7 years or so added sitagliptin 100mg. my HB1c started at 6 in old money and steadily went up until last year it was 65 in new money. I was a regular weekend drinker since my teens but stopped drinking completely 25/12/2016. I am now 44. 2016 not long after I gave up alcohol my HB1c went to 6.3 in old money but my recent test (before Christmas 2017 and April 2017) showed it had gone up to 65 in new money. My weight is 120kg I'm 5'9" and have been this weight for at least 15 years. I'm not a big sweet eater I just tend to eat a large main course but that's it. I don't snack at all between meal times.

Change in medication to Lyxumia

My doctor put me on Lyxumia 10 then 20mg in December 2017. But I've been regularly checking my levels and my glucose is always 10-11 first thing in the morning before breakfast so the Lyxumia is not having any affect. I'm still on sitagliptin and metformin 2g daily as well.

doctors appointment Jan 2018

I'm seeing my diabetic doctor this week and I'd like to try Invokana or foxigia with victoza and metformin. Is this possible or can I only take either victoza or Invokana? Has anyone else here been put on this combination?

I do not want to take insulin because I am a safety critical rail worker and would not be allowed to work then.

Ultimately I need to loose weight and Invokana/victoza will hopefully do that in combination with my diet and exercise routine.

Just wonder what your thoughts are on this?

further info...
I have a artificial aortic Heart valve and take warfarin to control my coagulation (I self test for this) and a slightly reduced heart function because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back