780 Users

I moved over to the 780g with G4 sensors from the 670 with G3 on Tuesday afternoon, now funded
Still in Smartguard warm up phase and think Smartguard will kick in at midnight? So only in manual at the moment but so far so good! Very impressed, TIR is high 80s low 90s, after being in auto mode with the 670 for 3 years it still confirms that my basal rates are ok, haha.
The pump is very quiet so far (famous last words!)
Will post an update after a few days in Auto mode.

So, officially started on the 780g today. Looking forward to really getting the hang of it. Session I had was really informative and every step was explained in detail. So pleased with how it went and feel very well supported. I reckon I will take a month to get used to it and see how I go with manual before switching to closed loop.

I was wondering if anyone else is having issue with the Medtronic e-shop? I can't get logged in, nor will the page load?

First update on pump. My sugars were very stable since going live. I was very surprised at this, as I was expecting them to be higher. I took at hypo at 01:30 this morning and was 3.9. Again, was not expecting this and over treated it big time. My DSN got me to reduces my Basel insulin every so slightly at night to see how this goes. I found my Basel from 09:00 - 15:00 is maybe going to need tweaked. From 09:00- 12:00 it seems fine, but noticed a rise in the afternoon. I can imagine how great this is going to be when we get these numbers on point. Loving the fact that I am not injecting and just simply entering carbs with pre set bolus.

First update on pump. My sugars were very stable since going live. I was very surprised at this, as I was expecting them to be higher. I took at hypo at 01:30 this morning and was 3.9. Again, was not expecting this and over treated it big time. My DSN got me to reduces my Basel insulin every so slightly at night to see how this goes. I found my Basel from 09:00 - 15:00 is maybe going to need tweaked. From 09:00- 12:00 it seems fine, but noticed a rise in the afternoon. I can imagine how great this is going to be when we get these numbers on point. Loving the fact that I am not injecting and just simply entering carbs with pre set bolus.
So glad that you are getting to grips with this Pump and enjoying the improved levels.
If you get the chance to use the sensors to loop it takes away any checking and changing of basal rates as those are automatically adjusted every 5 minutes.

So glad that you are getting to grips with this Pump and enjoying the improved levels.
If you get the chance to use the sensors to loop it takes away any checking and changing of basal rates as those are automatically adjusted every 5 minutes.
Hi, nice to hear from you. I had the sensors delivered yesterday. Just waiting on a rep to get them set up and I am all good to go to loop. Can't wait. I will keep you posted.

Hi, nice to hear from you. I had the sensors delivered yesterday. Just waiting on a rep to get them set up and I am all good to go to loop. Can't wait. I will keep you posted.
Setting up the contracts for our sensors and transmitters seems to take forever at the start. I am pleased to say that after that it has been a lot better.

Have you seen the Medtronic webinars available for different aspects of looping? I did one on managing exercise and it was very useful, focusing on various tweaks that we can make to get the system to do what we want it to do. well worth a look.

Before looping I always needed more insulin when dealing with higher levels.
In Smartguard the pump is trying to do that with the autocorrections, but getting nowhere.
It has just dawned on me that perhaps I need to raise my hourly max bolus rate

What do others have theirs set at?
Was this auto set at the start or their choice?
Just an update on the change that I made to my max basal rate Increments in looping.

I increased mine as I was finding that the auto corrections were not sorting highs, especially after the ‘more difficult carbs’ (fats, unknowns, ….) and bigger meals (parties, eating out, (yes I know I could be more restrained but …)). The automated system is now coping very nicely with higher levels.

All very logical but it takes a bit of a prompt for me to realise a solution -Thank you forum, always full of useful ideas.

Does anyone who is looping make adjustments to reduce their basal insulin, and/or bolus?

In the current heat wave I am having more low warnings and an irritating persistent hypo today due to a variety of factors, which were made worse as we were trying to catch a bus. We allowed 30 min for a 10 min walk so included a hypo stop but …. I ended up walking treating, walking treating to get to the bus in time, ….. which was then delayed by 30 min.

To reduce the basal I can raise my target BG, use temp target. Any other ideas?
Does anyone change bolus ratios with the seasons?

Setting up the contracts for our sensors and transmitters seems to take forever at the start. I am pleased to say that after that it has been a lot better.

Have you seen the Medtronic webinars available for different aspects of looping? I did one on managing exercise and it was very useful, focusing on various tweaks that we can make to get the system to do what we want it to do. well worth a look.
Hi, is there a webinar for setting up the sensor?

Hi, is there a webinar for setting up the sensor?
Do you mean for inserting the sensor and transmitter? There are a variety of you tube videos available for this, one from Medtronic but also users who have posted how they do it.

If it is to do with setting up your pump, the values I initially put in with my DSN were based on those from my previous pump, which I have then tweaked over the past two years.

The webinars I have referred to are then related to fine tuning. But there is one about basics, which I have booked into as I find I just keep learning new bits that I have forgotten/missed/not heard…
Does anyone who is looping make adjustments to reduce their basal insulin, and/or bolus?

In the current heat wave I am having more low warnings and an irritating persistent hypo today due to a variety of factors, which were made worse as we were trying to catch a bus. We allowed 30 min for a 10 min walk so included a hypo stop but …. I ended up walking treating, walking treating to get to the bus in time, ….. which was then delayed by 30 min.

To reduce the basal I can raise my target BG, use temp target. Any other ideas?
Does anyone change bolus ratios with the seasons?
Answering my own question.
I always made changes when in manual and I have decided that giving Hermione a helping hand is no bad thing

I have decided that rather than change my ratios for the heat I will do a percentage reduction on my carbs at meals, which will amount to the same thing

Just an update for folk using the Guardian 4 (and maybe the 3). The latest update the iPhone Medtronic app can display you BS on your Apple Watch. Something I’ve been waiting for for a while.

Just an update for folk using the Guardian 4 (and maybe the 3). The latest update the iPhone Medtronic app can display you BS on your Apple Watch. Something I’ve been waiting for for a while.
Glad that that is an update that is working for you.
how are you doing with other aspects? Any useful tips and workarounds?

Glad that that is an update that is working for you.
how are you doing with other aspects? Any useful tips and workarounds?
Well, I've only been using the Smartguard for a month now. I've been lurking here on and off for over a decade (wow - didn't think it had been that long!). I've been using a pump for 35 years and have used Medtronic for a long while as they don't limit the daily amount of insulin you can use. In addition to being type 1, I'm also insulin resistant so I do use a lot of insulin in a day.

So far I love SmartGuard - I'm well over 90% TIR most of the time and it's so much easier than constantly modifying my basal rate. The one issue I had is that I felt it wasn't aggressive enough giving correction boluses, so I changed the target to 5.5 and lowered the Active insulin time to 2.5 hours instead of 3. That really helped me, but, as with all things diabetes related, your mileage will vary.

I hope to be around here more often and will post any other questions or tips (if I have any!) as and when.

So far I love SmartGuard - I'm well over 90% TIR most of the time and it's so much easier than constantly modifying my basal rate. The one issue I had is that I felt it wasn't aggressive enough giving correction boluses, so I changed the target to 5.5 and lowered the Active insulin time to 2.5 hours instead of 3. That really helped me, but, as with all things diabetes related, your mileage will vary.
Good that you have ‘delurked’ and posted.
Glad that you found a way to address the problem.

I found the same problem for a while. I changed my target but then got hypo warnings. I also got the message ‘I have been delivering the max basal for 7 hours now so I am kicking you back into manual’ or words to that effect!!!! I realised I had my max bolus set too low so it wasn’t able to give me the corrections I needed. I changed my max basal and that was sorted. (When you try to change this it asks you to check with an HCP ) The other thing that I found was that in manual I used to up my bolus and basal by a percentage depending on how high I had gone. So the change to max basal seemed logical for me.

Keep the tips and questions coming.

Quick question. I am looping with 780G. I recently changed from Fiasp to Novorapid. My Active Insulin Time with Fiasp was 3 hours. With Novorapid should it be 4 hours?

I have not used FIASP in the 780 but I have my action time for Novorapid at 3 hours.
I think it is a case of try it and see what works for you.

Well done @Mafu123
It is nice when those appear

Back