780 Users

I am using the 780G with the Medtronic Closed Loop. The pump is a tubed pump (cannula sited on abdomen and put the pump wherever you want. The transmitter is positioned in the sensor and and sends data to the pump which then makes adjustments every 5 minutes. No wires for that.
T-Slim using Control IQ is a similar system.

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks for the heads up on the 780 closed loop system which would not suit my needs.
For me I wear the omnipod pump and a L2 sensor with me being the info exchange from the sensor to the pump, I don't want tubes or wires hanging about. It's discrete and it works.
The 780 is a half way house no wires but it does have a tube link to the cannular. Maybe in the future when the pump "electronics" have been miniaturised more and can be attached to my body like my omnipod pump I will go for one.
The Medtrum was suggested as a wireless and tubeless system but unfortunately their UK base says it is not available right now in the UK and no NHS contact for them either.

I'm due in to my Diabetic nurse next week so I'll get the latest from them then.

Thanks

@mark king - it's all horses for courses - No Way Pedro could I use an Omnipod - the pods are comparatively huge as opposed to a pump cannula, I need to change the cannula every 48 hours cos my body stops absorbing insulin after that, I only need 25ish units of insulin per day therefore would be constantly binning unused insulin. I also happen to be covered with hundreds of seborrhiec keratoses, which cannot be pierced due to the excess number of blood vessels each one has so I'm on a hiding to nothing anyway so have had to resign myself to the fact that perforce I will have to revert to MDI sometime in the not too distant future in any case. I'd already have had to, were not my husband able to insert tubed pump cannulas in my bum for me - I simply do not bend and stretch as well as I used to ! - and I'm 5 years younger than you.

Hello @trophywench Jenny It's not much bigger than a cannula my pod being 1.5" wide x 2" long x 0.5" thick. It's like a small match box with all the techy pump bits contained in it with no other parts being required to be clipped to my belt unlike the cannula system. So overall it's got a smaller footprint I think.

I wear my L2 sensors on my arms and the Omnipods on my thighs, rotating on each arm and each thigh as required.

Best

Got no flesh on my outer thighs Mark. Not counting the soft sticky surround part, the only cannulas I've ever used - all Roche ones - the business parts have all measured approx 2cm long x 1cm wide x 0.5cm high. Like I said, an Omnipod is a ruddy enormous thing to have stuck to one's body! - if I can walk into a doorframe and rip a Libre off (my God, the pain) - and they hardly stick out as far as a cannula - I was actually gobsmacked how people seem to like them. There again apparently people wear tubed pumps in their bra. Whaaat? Ridiculous idea. Bung a pump in a 34 or 36B bra and there's no room in that cup for a boob.

- I was actually gobsmacked how people seem to like them. There again apparently people wear tubed pumps in their bra. Whaaat? Ridiculous idea. Bung a pump in a 34 or 36B bra and there's no room in that cup for a boob
Nothing wrong with a third boob!!!

Hi @mark king I am another one who started with Accu—Chek so used to theirvery flat cannulas. For me a matchbox on my arm would be too big, and I like being able to stuff my pump wherever I want it. As Jenny said it is horses for courses.

Listen here - I have enough ruddy trouble getting bras to fit me in the first place and always have, thank you without adding more complications! That's the only reason I'd have always liked to be the Queen. That and someone else doing my hair, better clothes, better jewellery better whatever - AND no housework. Only thing is - fancy having to be polite constantly .... especially to Prime Ministers .....

Got no flesh on my outer thighs Mark. Not counting the soft sticky surround part, the only cannulas I've ever used - all Roche ones - the business parts have all measured approx 2cm long x 1cm wide x 0.5cm high. Like I said, an Omnipod is a ruddy enormous thing to have stuck to one's body! - if I can walk into a doorframe and rip a Libre off (my God, the pain) - and they hardly stick out as far as a cannula - I was actually gobsmacked how people seem to like them. There again apparently people wear tubed pumps in their bra. Whaaat? Ridiculous idea. Bung a pump in a 34 or 36B bra and there's no room in that cup for a boob.
I met someone in summer who had her pump in one bra cup and the libre on her other boob. I was a bit 😱
Apparently she doesn't like people knowing she is diabetic and never exercises (as it doesn't work for her) so there we go. Each to their own.

I do like the idea of the omnipod, but would take anything they give me, especially looped.

Hell! - I did once try sticking a pen needle in a boob - just to see. Cos you just never know until you try things, and sometimes it's a nice surprise. I found it mega painful, not at all nice. If we actually needed to do that, I'd be dead.

Hell! - I did once try sticking a pen needle in a boob - just to see. Cos you just never know until you try things, and sometimes it's a nice surprise. I found it mega painful, not at all nice. If we actually needed to do that, I'd be dead.
Not all things need to be tried :rofl:

Definitely not something I would try!!!!!!! Ouch.

Hi all new to this forum although not new to diabetes - T1 since 1977. I have been on the 780 for over a year and it has changed my life which I didn’t believe it could given I first trialled and stayed on Medtronic pumps from 1999 so have had my fair number of them. I have never looked at any other types of pump as Medtronic worked and there was never a need to but it sounds like there is an exhaustive list of different ones. I had a pump fail in Sardinia having been in the water - hats off to Medtronic California as that’s who we spoke to on a Sunday evening - a new pump delivered to the hotel within 30hrs. This is the only time I have gone back to injections in 24yrs and oh my word I would never out of choice go back so sorry to hear some have to and others chose to.

Welcome to the forum @Montster73

Good to hear how well Medtronic have served you with their pumps and also with the rescue when you had a problem in Sardinia. I was pleased to read that Medtronic will provide a spare holiday pump if travelling outside Europe, it you have to notify them a while before you need it. In Europe they promise a quick replacement.

Are you looping with your 780? Using looping was a further step up from pumping for me. I had used the Libre and a pump previously but having the sensor and pump sort out my basal without my input (most of the time) is great and I like the Guardian 4 sensors which only need one callibration each week.

Hello @SB2015
I am looping. Started with the Libre a few years ago and then the Guardian 3 and 4 since October last year - what a change. I am having less insulin and less hypos. Being an active guy I was still getting a couple of hypos a week whereas now I will get one at most unless I forget to use Temp basal mode - easily done at 6.30am when taking the dog for her hours walk! The one calibration is fab isn’t it, just need the sensors to last two wks like the Libre…

A two week sensor would be good, but I guess decisions on dosing are being made on ours every 5 min so I guess that they err on the side of caution (There may also be some economic factors!!!)

There was talk of having a cannula which can stay in for longer. I still change mine every 2 days to avoid any skanky sites, so will be surprised if I can leave one in for a week.

As you say the lopping is fabulous, and there are workarounds for the extreme situations.
just done a full day of walking and juggled temp target as well as a drip feed of Wurthers which seems to work for me.

I’ve used Medtronic 640G pump and No 2 and for the last year No 3 CGM sensors. My pump just said I was 4.9, but I tested blood and it was 9.7. I have never found Medtronic’s sensors very accurate so I finger prick 5-6 times a day with a Roche Mobile. Does anyone use a CGM system which they trust? I’ve been complaining about Medtronic for years but have stuck with them because I’ve used their pumps for 25 or so years. I am due a new pump in October. I could stay with Medtronic and change to a 780G with Type 4 sensor or swap. Desperate for a reliable system so I don’t have to do so many finger pricks every day to double check expensive (to the NHS) CGM.

Hi @adamrit I have found odd issues with the CGM not being accurate but on the whole Medtronic have been fine - you have to gauge the time delay as its not testing the blood like a finger prick and you will find that fatty foods mask your sugar but it will depend on individuals, insulin sensitivity, exercise, weight, food type intake and loads of other factors which only you will know after all the years you have been a T1. If you have been having issues for a long time maybe a change is as good as a rest.

I’ve used Medtronic 640G pump and No 2 and for the last year No 3 CGM sensors. My pump just said I was 4.9, but I tested blood and it was 9.7. I have never found Medtronic’s sensors very accurate so I finger prick 5-6 times a day with a Roche Mobile. Does anyone use a CGM system which they trust? I’ve been complaining about Medtronic for years but have stuck with them because I’ve used their pumps for 25 or so years. I am due a new pump in October. I could stay with Medtronic and change to a 780G with Type 4 sensor or swap. Desperate for a reliable system so I don’t have to do so many finger pricks every day to double check expensive (to the NHS) CGM.
I rely on my Medtronic sensors for dosing on my basal insulin. I am looping with a 780g pump and their Guardian 4 sensors. This is working well most of the time, but on odd occasions things don’t match and the pump requests more info. I am happy to put up with the interruptions as most of the time it simply gets on with the job, and keeps me with a TIR in 80s and 90s.
using the Guardian 4 sensors I just do one finger prick at the start of the seven days that the sensor lasts and so far I am very happy with that.

Hi, this is my first post, so apologising in advance in case it goes wrong. I started on medtronic 780 closed loop/smartguard in July. The theory is wonderful,but! Can I ask if any of you have problems with length of times the sensors are lasting, as mine tell me to change around every 2-5 days on average as stopped working. I dream of only having to do one blood glucose a week as my pump constantly asks me to calibrate. Does any one have any tips? Medtronic support are saying it is due to sweat, which is not something I have a problem with. Now getting desperate. Look forward to your thoughts as I don't want to give up on a phenomenal step forward

Hi, this is my first post, so apologising in advance in case it goes wrong. I started on medtronic 780 closed loop/smartguard in July. The theory is wonderful,but! Can I ask if any of you have problems with length of times the sensors are lasting, as mine tell me to change around every 2-5 days on average as stopped working. I dream of only having to do one blood glucose a week as my pump constantly asks me to calibrate. Does any one have any tips? Medtronic support are saying it is due to sweat, which is not something I have a problem with. Now getting desperate. Look forward to your thoughts as I don't want to give up on a phenomenal step forward
I have had a few sensors which have stopped early but Medtronic have always been replaced them, even if they have lasted 6 days. When I switched to Guardian 4 I was doubtful about their claims, but been pleased to find that I need one finger prick for the week, apart from the odd hypo. It sounds like your switch has not been so smooth.

Have you tried an additional tape underneath the sensor. Medtronic talked me through this when I was concerned about the new sensors adhesive. They also provided some tapes to do this.

There is also the system using the t-slim which may have different adhesives.

Let me know how you get on.

Back