780 Users

Thanks for your reply, not aware of extra tapes to go underneath, will try to investigate that. Not aware of t slim, but having spoken to DSN today, the only pump allowed in our area is the 780, so no choice, but so fortunate to be funded by NHS.

Hi dbo,
I find it totally depends where I’ve got the sensor as to how long it lasts. Thought I was smart and had it on my leg which has a blood clot and it did nothing (unsurprising really) weirdly mine fail early if I put them on the back of my arms. This info is probs of absolutely no use to you lol.
Are you finding the wee filaments really bent when you remove the sensor to change it? Sometimes placement can cause the fail, say if you’ve inserted next to muscle? Or if there’s a lot of blood when you first pop it in.

Thanks, yes, no good on my arms. The only place I can use is my abdo and the sensors are really wiggly(!) when removed. Sadly no sub cut fat to cushion the filament on insertion. Your thoughts are of use to me. Medtronic have made me feel no one else has ever had a problem

I’d maybe see if you can get hold of the trainer/educator person who held the “training” day when you got your sensor, to see if they could do a video call and go through the insertion process again, just incase they can offer a better suggestion for you? To me (and I am in no way qualified) it sounds like you’re having issues with insertion. Could be something really simple like either sitting or standing when you’re putting it in then doing the opposite to secure it? There must be way to make it work for you ! Of course we’ve all had problems…. That’s why there’s a “helpline” ( supposedly) and amazing groups like this! You’ve got this!

Thanks, will do have tried all different angles with no effect, but determined to be successful

I have just had a sensor fail after three days. That is the third on the trot that has failed early so now wondering if there is a duff batch, and you have been unfortunate with your start coinciding with this. I shall phone for a replacement again.

Sorry to hear, feels a little like welcome to my world. Hope the next batch are better.

They sent me 5 sensors to replace the three failures!

Lucky, I am still trying, have now reverted to e mail as K didn't phone back as promised for the 2nd time and cannot get through on the phone as 'all operatives are busy'

If you register with their app Penny you can order replacement sensors online.
I did this for the last one and the sensor arrived two days later.

Haven't used the app. Is it easy enough to get them to replace and not charge. I know I am funded but, that means you are limited to how often you can order.

Whether funded or not they replace the sensors that fail. If I have phoned for these I go through the pump support. They tell you that there is a long wait, but I have got through each time.

I am not funded so no idea of the limits of provision but I would have thought they would provide continuous access. I am on a contract, which reduces my costs, and they send a box of 5 sensors every 5 weeks. I don’t remember whether they asked me about source of funding when I ordered the replacement.

I thought that this would be useful add in here. I attended a webinar yesterday on managing exercise using the 780 in closed loop. It was excellent

It includes the workarounds for managing any forms of exercise (something that will cause your glucose levels to drop) whilst using the pump in closed loop or manual. This was something that I found hard to manage at the start, and I ended up learning to lie to my pump, which contradicted what we were told at the training. Medtronic are now saying to eat carbs and don’t tell the pump at certain times. Much the same as our reducing boluses on any pump. These are as always starting points from which to find what works for us. We are all different.

These links are with reference to the 780, but the general principles may help on others although how to make the changes will vary with different pumps.

The presentation which includes working in manual mode and in Smartguard ( Medtronic’s name for closed loop) https://qrco.de/bdohuh

This is the summary of changes to make for exercise (which can be anything that could cause you r glucose levels to drop, eg gardening, housework, …) https://qrco.de/bdKy98

The same info as a flow chart (my preference) https://qrco.de/bdKy6a

Dealing with high BGs

Maximum basal setting
I am wondering whether I have my max basal set too low.
I can’t remember whether I chose my setting or it was auto set at the start.

I am tackling a bounce back after a hypo at about 6:00 pm.
(Birthday party food -overestimated carbs- walk home - hypo)
I have just had the message ‘Pump has been at max delivery for 7 hours. enter BG to continue in Smart Guard’. SG was 13.6 and dropping, BG 14.0 Additional bolus given and now waiting.

Before looping I always needed more insulin when dealing with higher levels.
In Smartguard the pump is trying to do that with the autocorrections, but getting nowhere.
It has just dawned on me that perhaps I need to raise my hourly max bolus rate

What do others have theirs set at?
Was this auto set at the start or their choice?

Thanks, will give it a try
Just to say, finally medtronic listened and took notice of all the failures! They have replaced the sensor transmitor and no failures sense, yipee. It seemed to make a difference to their response when I mentioned talking about the problems through this Diabetes UK forum. So, if it happens to you, don't give up, tool over 6 months to get it sorted.

Just to say, finally medtronic listened and took notice of all the failures! They have replaced the sensor transmitor and no failures sense, yipee. It seemed to make a difference to their response when I mentioned talking about the problems through this Diabetes UK forum. So, if it happens to you, don't give up, tool over 6 months to get it sorted.
I am glad that you have successfully got replacement sensors.
As I found they do replace any failures that I report and any bleeders that I have had on insertion (rare occurrence)

Just thought I would give everyone an update. I had a pre-pump appointment yesterday, and will be going on 780g on 17 May. Nervous, but also very excited about this. The appointment yesterday was really helpful, and has given me a good idea of what the 780g is capable off. I plan to use the pump manually for a while just to get used to it and also ensure I have a good degree of confidence. After this, I want to go into Smartguard mode. I am fully prepared for the fact that there will be lots of work and tweaking in the next while, but the end result will make it worth it.

Just some other information for folks in Northern Ireland. At the minute, depending what Trust you are under, there is a limited selection of insulin pumps. In my current clinic, a Medtronic pump is all that is available. I personally didn't mind this as it was my preferred choice anyway, but this may be frustrating for others. In other areas there may only be the option for another type of pump, ie the Omnipod, and this may not suit others. The good news is there has been the launch of the new Regional Pump Service in Northern Ireland, and I have been told on good authority that this should be up and running fully by the end of this year. This means that no matter where you are in the country, you will have a wider selection of insulin pumps based on your preference. This is a massive step and I am sure it will benefit so many.

Also, self funding will still be necessary if you want to loop with any insulin pump. Again, this is not ideal as some people can't afford this. I feel it will still be a while before funding is available, but I know most major pumps seem to be going into partnership with Abbot and using their Freestyle Libre 3. I would imagine the Libre will be available sooner or later on the NHS (perhaps more readily available than other loop capable CGMs), so this could maybe be an option for people going on to a pump, or inform you more as to what pump you go for if you are keen to take advantage of looping capabilities.

For me, I am in a position to self-fund the cgm. I am going to commit to this for a year, and then see where I am at. For those maybe considering this also, Medtronic do a deal where you can get their CGM for an initial payment of about £230, then another 9 payments of £169. That will allow you to use their cgm for about 55 weeks. I will update you all further on where I am this time next week.
Great news. Thanks for the update.
I hope that you find the looping as effective as I do.
It took a bit of getting used to and hard to trust it at first. I kept interfering at the start!!

It is a good idea to be familiar with the pump in manual mode first as there will be times when it flips back to that whilst you respond to a problem. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Back