780 Users

I switched from a combo to 780G. There are many similarities, and you can use it as a stand alone pump,in much the same way as the Combo. The major difference is that you need to access the pump at meal times, and enter the carbs in the pump, and confirm the bolus, rather than doing this via a handset.

iuse. Ine in closed loop with the Medtronic Sensors G4. I don’t tell the pump my life story, I just tell it my carbs at a meal, as you would in manual mode. The rest of the time I let the pump make adjustments to my basal every 5 minutes which works brilliantly. I think a lot less about diabetes and let it get on with it. It does a lot more than the alarms on the Libre as instead of me heading off highs and ,wow it does it for me. It lifted my TIR from in the 70s to in the 80s and often in the 90s with so much less effort. I do however have to self fund the sensors and transmitter to use the closed loop. I would not want to have a pump without closed loop now.

Any questions just keep asking.

I switched from a combo to 780G. There are many similarities, and you can use it as a stand alone pump,in much the same way as the Combo. The major difference is that you need to access the pump at meal times, and enter the carbs in the pump, and confirm the bolus, rather than doing this via a handset.

iuse. Ine in closed loop with the Medtronic Sensors G4. I don’t tell the pump my life story, I just tell it my carbs at a meal, as you would in manual mode. The rest of the time I let the pump make adjustments to my basal every 5 minutes which works brilliantly. I think a lot less about diabetes and let it get on with it. It does a lot more than the alarms on the Libre as instead of me heading off highs and ,wow it does it for me. It lifted my TIR from in the 70s to in the 80s and often in the 90s with so much less effort. I do however have to self fund the sensors and transmitter to use the closed loop. I would not want to have a pump without closed loop now.

Any questions just keep asking.
Thank you! I don’t actually use the handset and bolus wizard with the Combi: my rather tongue in cheek remark about not wanting to tell it my life story was mainly about not wanting to plug in carbs at all. I do the suns in my head so all I want is to tell it how much insulin to give me. Will I still be able to do that on the 780?

Thank you! I don’t actually use the handset and bolus wizard with the Combi: my rather tongue in cheek remark about not wanting to tell it my life story was mainly about not wanting to plug in carbs at all. I do the suns in my head so all I want is to tell it how much insulin to give me. Will I still be able to do that on the 780?
Yes, you can do a manual bolus entry

Yes, you can do a manual bolus entry
I don’t t think that you can do a bolus without entering the carbs when in closed loop on the 780, as the pump needs to know how much of the active insulin is attached to carbs, and what is a correction. This information is used as part of the algorithm where it is making adjustments to the basal insulin every five minutes.

I don’t t think that you can do a bolus without entering the carbs when in closed loop on the 780, as the pump needs to know how much of the active insulin is attached to carbs, and what is a correction. This information is used as part of the algorithm where it is making adjustments to the basal insulin every five minutes.
Thank you, that’s useful to know, I am not intending (and don’t think I need) to get the sensors so that won’t be an issue for me but it does explain why some of the pump trainers were so dogmatic about the need to enter everything.

Hello! I am on the 780 plus G4 sensors and have been a for a few months. I'm totally NHS funded as I have no warning symptoms and drop like a stone. I've found it hasn't managed to sort out my morning rise in BS - I think it's because I have a fairly small TDD, and it won't correct too much as a percentage of that - but I need lots of insulin in the morning and hardly any in the afternoon. I have to have a no-carb breakfast and give myself an insulin bolus of 15g pr more for nothing! Apart from that it is great fun having a pump that does seem to keep me ok most of the time. Still have a few hypos though. Just got my results today and despite not being that good, it's at 49 which in old money is 6.6. However, I've had a crash with my egfr which is always at 90 - it has gone down to 71 which has shaken me. Have to be retested.

I’m very excited! I went to the DSN 3 weeks ago and enquired about a pump (I have been a pen user for 25 years) and they set up another session to discuss further. Had that a week ago and they confirmed I could get the 780g! Woohoo.

To top it all off I was told 6-8 weeks for a pump start session and I’ve just got my letter for 23rd November.

Loving reading all the info you are all posting. Can’t wait to get started.

Hello! I am on the 780 plus G4 sensors and have been a for a few months. I'm totally NHS funded as I have no warning symptoms and drop like a stone. I've found it hasn't managed to sort out my morning rise in BS - I think it's because I have a fairly small TDD, and it won't correct too much as a percentage of that - but I need lots of insulin in the morning and hardly any in the afternoon. I have to have a no-carb breakfast and give myself an insulin bolus of 15g pr more for nothing! Apart from that it is great fun having a pump that does seem to keep me ok most of the time. Still have a few hypos though. Just got my results today and despite not being that good, it's at 49 which in old money is 6.6. However, I've had a crash with my egfr which is always at 90 - it has gone down to 71 which has shaken me. Have to be retested.
Hi @LoLiz
Great to hear that you have full funding for the sensors. Are you using the system in closed loop (Smartguard which confusingly is what they also called the system with just alarms on the 640)?

I think that there are quite a few of us who get the Dawn Phenomonon with a rose as soon as we get up. My system does not stop the rise, but if I pre bolus before I get out of bed and then eat within 30 min it minimises it. Great that you are in the upper forties with HbA1c on this system. I accepted a light increase in that for the sake of a large improvement in my TIR which is usually in the 90s or high 80s now. I feel that gives a better picture of what is happening.

sorry to hear that eGfr has dropped but glad that you are getting a repeat test. Let us know how you get on.

I’m very excited! I went to the DSN 3 weeks ago and enquired about a pump (I have been a pen user for 25 years) and they set up another session to discuss further. Had that a week ago and they confirmed I could get the 780g! Woohoo.

To top it all off I was told 6-8 weeks for a pump start session and I’ve just got my letter for 23rd November.

Loving reading all the info you are all posting. Can’t wait to get started.
Great to hear that you now have the okay for the 780. Will you be using it with the sensors?
let us know how you get on with your pump start session. This will be a big change from pens but, after some initial work, should give you a lot more flexibility. Let us know how you get on.

Great to hear that you now have the okay for the 780. Will you be using it with the sensors?
let us know how you get on with your pump start session. This will be a big change from pens but, after some initial work, should give you a lot more flexibility. Let us know how you get on.
I’ve been told I will get them eventually but not to start with, I don’t think the funding is there for them in my area yet. Will continue to get the Libre 2 to start with though. I will keep you updated, I’ve booked a week off to adapt to the change.

The week off is a good idea. Be patient as they help you adapt your basal rates to suit your personal needs. It is well worth the effort. I choose to self fund the sensors in order to use their closed loop system, but it is still important p know how to use the pump in manual mode. I look forward to hearing more from you as you progress.

Hi @LoLiz
Great to hear that you have full funding for the sensors. Are you using the system in closed loop (Smartguard which confusingly is what they also called the system with just alarms on the 640)?

I think that there are quite a few of us who get the Dawn Phenomonon with a rose as soon as we get up. My system does not stop the rise, but if I pre bolus before I get out of bed and then eat within 30 min it minimises it. Great that you are in the upper forties with HbA1c on this system. I accepted a light increase in that for the sake of a large improvement in my TIR which is usually in the 90s or high 80s now. I feel that gives a better picture of what is happening.

sorry to hear that eGfr has dropped but glad that you are getting a repeat test. Let us know how you get on.
Yes, I'm in Smartguard.

I have tried the insulin as soon as i get up, but that is too early for me, as I then shower, dress, take the pup into the garden, feed the dogs and only then have breakfast, and by then am often too low. But any later and the same thing happens, i mean the rise. It's a real pain.

eGFr wise, my urine test came back as normal, and my consultant said then don't worry about it. So now i have no idea what that means - does she mean she thinks it is an anomaly, or in the absence of protein an eGFr of 71 is not a problem (but all my reading tells me it is). I simply do not know now what to do with this info, but am having the repeat on Weds so at least I'll know if it an anomaly or not - it is a notoriously inaccurate test.

I'm at about 85% TIR most of the time. Half high, half too low.

Yes, I'm in Smartguard.

I have tried the insulin as soon as i get up, but that is too early for me, as I then shower, dress, take the pup into the garden, feed the dogs and only then have breakfast, and by then am often too low. But any later and the same thing happens, i mean the rise. It's a real pain.

eGFr wise, my urine test came back as normal, and my consultant said then don't worry about it. So now i have no idea what that means - does she mean she thinks it is an anomaly, or in the absence of protein an eGFr of 71 is not a problem (but all my reading tells me it is). I simply do not know now what to do with this info, but am having the repeat on Weds so at least I'll know if it an anomaly or not - it is a notoriously inaccurate test.

I'm at about 85% TIR most of the time. Half high, half too low.
Hi Liz

if you are in Smartguard you can let the pump learn about your morning routine and the basal will dust, but the it is still difficult if there is not the opportunity to pre bolus for meals. Having said that your TIR is sitting happy so perhaps the blip at breakfast Is just part of your diabetes.

The spike might reduce by trying one of these things:

Eating a small amount or protein (eg nuts) as soon as you wake to tell your body I am fine, so do not to dump the morning glucose. I used this when on injections for dawn phenomenon. The closed loop seems to cope with my DP now and I ignore it now.

Reducing the amount of carbs in your breakfast. Smaller carbs smaller rise

If you are using Novorapid you could ask about quicker acting insulins such as FIASP or Lyumjev.

Dont sit down for 15 min after you have eaten. I suspect you don't sit down much anyway.
I try to do this after each meal.

Let me know how you get on.

Just had an email from UPS saying my Medtronic parcel is on route to the hospital! A nice unexpected surprise after a long week on highs and lows! Almost pump time!

Let us know how you get on. There will be a bit of work for you at the start to get the settings to match what you need, but it can make such a difference, so worth being patient.

Well I hope that today is going well, with the pump set up.
I look forward to hearing how you get on.

I’m officially live and pumping!

The sessions was due to last 3 hours but as I was the only one starting we completed the set up in an hour and a half. Quick easy and painless.

I was really impressed with the training and I am in love with the pump already, why didn’t I do this sooner?!

They think funding will be in place for the CGM in the next year, so I will continue with libre for now.

Just done my first bolus for dinner so expecting a low at some point tonight whilst the long acting gets itself out of my system.

Hello all, this is a very interesting topic for me indeed.

Mid Jan 23 I will be changing over from my L2 sensor to a Dexcom G7, apparently my Diabetic area is looking to drop the Libre and change over to Dexcom?
I'm T1 with quite good control but get very little warning of lows. I need to be in the high 1's to mid 2's before I feel it, which is where the L2 low alarms are a great help particularly of a night time.
I run a L2 and a Omnipod Dash pump with me supplying the necessary meal info to the pump for it to do its job.

I have always liked the idea of closed loop and wonder if this Dexcom change over is the start of that procedure for me?
When you say "closed loop" you are referring to the fact that the sensor is electrically [blue tooth] or similar talking to the pump - no wires. Also are these systems tubeless like my Omnipod dash is.
One last Q which closed loop system is the preferred one on our forum.

Many thanks

The 780 is a tubed pump.

I think the Medtrum has its own sensors for closed loop and I believe that is the only one that is tubeless + closed loop

Back