780 Users

@drfaustus, hi, how did you manage 100%, awesome! I’ve been doing this for 2 years now and not even got to 90%. Would you mind sharing your basal settings please? I know we shouldn’t compare but it would be interesting.

I recently managed to get around 50 hours with 100% TIR. I was very impressed and shocked, I've had many 100% here and there since I've been using the system for 1.5 years now. It's always a nice surprise when I do see it though :rofl: especially given what my blood sugars were prior to the 780 and G3/4!

@drfaustus, hi, how did you manage 100%, awesome! I’ve been doing this for 2 years now and not even got to 90%. Would you mind sharing your basal settings please? I know we shouldn’t compare but it would be interesting.
Hi Cosmic Poppy,

well, I started with a target of 6.5 and active insulin time of 3 hours/ I changed the target to 5.5 and lowered the Active insulin time to 2.5 hours which helped a lot for me. I've since reduced the active insulin time to 2 hours and that seems to work best for me. The caveat is that if there is a problem with insulin absorption (had this over the weekend) then the pump won't pick that up. In the end though, diabetes is a stupid disease and never does what you'd expect. I'm sure you know that as well as I do!

I was delighted this week to have a 100%, especially as a I am eating unknown amounts of carbs and having to guesstimate as well as doing very different activities each day. A rare treat but one I always celebrate When it does happen.

Any ideas please
Just eaten a rather large meal than usual and walked afterwards to compensate and help my pump to bring down my levels as pre bolus was not possible as I had no idea when food would arrive. All good as I would expect Hermione (my pump) to get levels back on track.
now I have just discovered that my cannula had come out, and I now have no idea how much insulin has actually made it into me. Done all the sensible stuff of changing my cannula, but now no idea how much insulin I truly have doing the job of bringing down levels.
Any ideas very welcome.

That was a long night.
I ended up using a pen to replace what had been lost, set a few alarms through the night but was back on track by 3:00 am and flat lining.

Hi Cosmic Poppy,

well, I started with a target of 6.5 and active insulin time of 3 hours/ I changed the target to 5.5 and lowered the Active insulin time to 2.5 hours which helped a lot for me. I've since reduced the active insulin time to 2 hours and that seems to work best for me. The caveat is that if there is a problem with insulin absorption (had this over the weekend) then the pump won't pick that up. In the end though, diabetes is a stupid disease and never does what you'd expect. I'm sure you know that as well as I do!
Thank you

Hi @Cosmic Poppy

I find that I vary my target level, as well as using the temp target. My levels are impacted by some meds that I take, with my sensor giving readings with a higher difference from my BG. This was then leading to over corrections by the looping and consequent hypos. I now raise my target from 5.5 to 6.1 when necessary.

I find it useful to have a list of the variables that we have access to when looping:
  • Action time of insulin
  • Max basal rate per hour
  • Target BG
  • Carb ratios
  • Correction factors
Where things aren’t working quite as I want I can work through the list And see if any changes would make sense. We also have the usual carb counting, timing of bolus, using temp basal, ….. to think about.

I am sure no one gets100% all the time because we aren’t robots. All we can do is make the best use of the tools that we have, at any time. Over this week the lowest I have had is 53% (but I know why - which is the important thing for me) and the highest has been 93%. Other weeks things are more stable. We, are managing many variables as is our loop. A difficult job, and we can share our workarounds for issues that arise, and then just do the Best that we Can.

There have been quite a few posting that they are about to start or have recently started using the 780, .......

Fire away with any questions about the system and finding workarounds for anything.
There seem to be a few more of us now using the system in closed loop (Smartguard - which confusingly is what they called their previous system which was not closed loop with the 640) .....

I am the partner posting this update:- 'Lilly' been using 780g since 2 months now, and today having problem with a Guardian4 sensor causing disconnecting 3 times in a day.
1. This involved cutting through the oval tape to release the transmitter from her upper arm,
2. disconnecting the transmitter from the sensor,
3. place transmitter onto charger and recharge, until the 15 seconds continuous green led lets you know it finished, (or for at least a minute).
4. on advice from the medtronic tech helpline (Pump option, rather than sensor option - as its connection issue to the pump) place the transmitter shell on the green test tool (after checking that the 3 gold contacts are intact and not damaged on the sensor). On the green tester after 20 seconds the shell should start flashing its green led to indicate the transmitter conects ok.
5. Remove from tester and reconnect the shell to the sensor on the body.
6. On detection by the pump Start the sensor, -pump should detect "Sensor startup" - Now check the time - so you know when the 2 hour startup should be up.

Anyway had more disconnections with same sensor and a second call to medtronic who agreed to send a new sensor. Hopefully the next sensor she used it seems ok but the whole process took up more than half a day.

I am the partner posting this update:- 'Lilly' been using 780g since 2 months now, and today having problem with a Guardian4 sensor causing disconnecting 3 times in a day.
When took delivery of Pump Infusion sets, reservoirs, and sensors - she was sent the 3.8ml reservoirs, and the 3 day infusion sets. The medtronic trainer had told those using less insulin would be on 7 day change of infusion sets however the infusion sets though 3.8ml capacity were only approved for 3 days.

She spoke today to the medronic DN who agreed to order the 7 day sets, which have extra filtering and precautions (I believe some coating or something) against the insulin forming crystals and clogging. There is also the issue of approvals for your country, which matters when liability for adverse reactions may be in issue.

Anyway thought everyone should be aware that if you are pumping less than about 350 units per 7 days, or say 50 units per day, then the 7 day infusion sets with the 3.8ml 7 day filtered reservoirs can be ordered through your NHS clinic / DN.

CAUTION:
If you are about to try try the 7day Reservoir & Infusion Set changeover - please ensure you do that with your clinic DN involvement, and ensure that the Infusion Sets and Reservoirs are approved 7 day ones.

1. This involved cutting through the oval tape to release the transmitter from her upper arm,
2. disconnecting the transmitter from the sensor,
3. place transmitter onto charger and recharge, until the 15 seconds continuous green led lets you know it finished, (or for at least a minute).
4. on advice from the medtronic tech helpline (Pump option, rather than sensor option - as its connection issue to the pump) place the transmitter shell on the green test tool (after checking that the 3 gold contacts are intact and not damaged on the sensor). On the green tester after 20 seconds the shell should start flashing its green led to indicate the transmitter conects ok.
5. Remove from tester and reconnect the shell to the sensor on the body.
6. On detection by the pump Start the sensor, -pump should detect "Sensor startup" - Now check the time - so you know when the 2 hour startup should be up.

Anyway had more disconnections with same sensor and a second call to medtronic who agreed to send a new sensor. Hopefully the next sensor she used it seems ok but the whole process took up more than half a day.
I can empathise with the irritation about how much time is taken up when things go wrong. I have had a few sensors that have given up the ghost, but I have always spoken to the support on the sensor line, and they have been replaced without my having to go through taking out a transmitter and putting it back again. (I know that @everydayupsanddowns is a dab hand with doing restarts to extend the life of a sensor so he may be able to advise)

I do a download of the data before phoning the pump care line when a problem has happened, so that they can see what is happening. Then they have always sent a replacement. The messages I have had are ‘sensor updating’, at which point I get put back into manual. If I look in the Smartguard checklist it tells me that ‘sensor not ready’. I was advised if this persists just to phone for a replacement. I tend to think that it is the sensor rather than the transmitter that is the issue so there is no point in taking the transmitter out to recharge.

One thing to check is that the transmitter is fully charged before it is inserted. It should then last a full week. Where I get a replacement I then switch to my next one on my usual change day. As you mention it takes some time. On changeover day I take out my sensor as soon as I wake up, and (in sticky state) I put it in the charger, then doze again. Once up I then out the transmitter in the green thingy and do the cleaning, then give the transmitter back in the charger so that it is ready after breakfast. The system goes in after breakfast and the 2 hour warm up starts during the morning.

I have had a couple of sensors go wrong recently and they did say that this could be due to the intense heat. When I thought back I was aware that they followed times when we have been outside for a meal, and the sensor may well have overheated. It may be that on very hot days I need to keep it out of the sun, so might switch to abdomen.

Thanks for the information about the 7 day reservoirs. I have thought about this but done nothing as yet. My previous pump was on a 6 day changeover day so it would be nice to try these, but I still have a stock of the 3 day ones, so I shall wait a while.

The looping system can be frustrating when it doesn’t work but, when I am then back in manual it reminds me of how much the system is doing for me when it is working.

I can empathise with the irritation about how much time is taken up when things go wrong. I have had a few sensors that have given up the ghost, but I have always spoken to the support on the sensor line, and they have been replaced without my having to go through taking out a transmitter and putting it back again. (I know that @everydayupsanddowns is a dab hand with doing restarts to extend the life of a sensor so he may be able to advise)

I do a download of the data before phoning the pump care line when a problem has happened, so that they can see what is happening. Then they have always sent a replacement. The messages I have had are ‘sensor updating’, at which point I get put back into manual. If I look in the Smartguard checklist it tells me that ‘sensor not ready’. I was advised if this persists just to phone for a replacement. I tend to think that it is the sensor rather than the transmitter that is the issue so there is no point in taking the transmitter out to recharge.

One thing to check is that the transmitter is fully charged before it is inserted. It should then last a full week. Where I get a replacement I then switch to my next one on my usual change day. As you mention it takes some time. On changeover day I take out my sensor as soon as I wake up, and (in sticky state) I put it in the charger, then doze again. Once up I then out the transmitter in the green thingy and do the cleaning, then give the transmitter back in the charger so that it is ready after breakfast. The system goes in after breakfast and the 2 hour warm up starts during the morning.

I have had a couple of sensors go wrong recently and they did say that this could be due to the intense heat. When I thought back I was aware that they followed times when we have been outside for a meal, and the sensor may well have overheated. It may be that on very hot days I need to keep it out of the sun, so might switch to abdomen.

Thanks for the information about the 7 day reservoirs. I have thought about this but done nothing as yet. My previous pump was on a 6 day changeover day so it would be nice to try these, but I still have a stock of the 3 day ones, so I shall wait a while.

The looping system can be frustrating when it doesn’t work but, when I am then back in manual it reminds me of how much the system is doing for me when it is working.
Its not just the 7 day reservoirs, the 'Mio Advance' Infusion sets MMT242A includes in the instruction book in every box, at page2 General Instructions (for the OLD 3day set) "The infusion set may be worn for a maximum of 3 days or per a healthcare professional's instructions". No doubt you would need that last bit in writing.
There is an 8.5 minute Q&A video about the new sets at
MiniMed Extended InfusionSet Q&A

Its not just the 7 day reservoirs, the 'Mio Advance' Infusion sets MMT242A includes in the instruction book in every box, at page2 General Instructions (for the OLD 3day set) "The infusion set may be worn for a maximum of 3 days or per a healthcare professional's instructions". No doubt you would need that last bit in writing.
There is an 8.5 minute Q&A video about the new sets at
MiniMed Extended InfusionSet Q&A
Thanks Lilly
I need to get sorted before I do my next order.

I hope that you have got your sensors sorted.

Is anyone else having problems with sensors. I have now had 4 failures in one month, after many months of going smoothly. The last one told me it was warming up, then went into sensor updating and stayed doing that. I was away on a rest and relaxation so couldn’t do anything about it!!!

Is anyone else having problems with sensors. I have now had 4 failures in one month, after many months of going smoothly. The last one told me it was warming up, then went into sensor updating and stayed doing that. I was away on a rest and relaxation so couldn’t do anything about it!!!
I am so relieved to read your posts. I've just posted this evening about sensors and whether people ever keep them on for 7 days, and then have just found your thread. I used senses since 22 August and 3 out of 4 have come out. The one this evening said sensor updating and then eventually after maybe an hour said it needed changing. I'm glad it's not just me but this is started to get overwhelming as it takes ages to change them. I'm lucky as i at work at home so can manage this but we're going away for a long weekend, and I'm not willing to spoil it by rushing back to our hotel change sensors if they need changing. Luckily we're driving this time, but not sure about taking all of the kit on a flight.

I have recently started using the guardian 4 de sensors. The first one which i applied at a Dsn appointment went wrong..the transmitter required more charging and when trying to remove it i also removed the sensor. BUT had a really red rash under the oval tape so would have had to remove anyway.

Yesterday I put a new sensor in a different area using a tegaderm patch to secure. Think this is ok on my skin but am suspicious about a vague itch under the sensor. Or could be imagining it. Or just aware of the feel of sensor etc on abdomen.

What tips are there for avoiding skin reactions please?

Welcome to the forum @Geniekeepcalm , and sorry that you have had problems with your sensor/transmitter.

There are various strategies that people have used if they find that they are allergic to the glue on their sensors. This could be a barrier cream (I had that from GP with earlier pump) or using a tape that you know you are okay with underneath your sensor. (I think that is what @helli does)
It is fine to use tegaderm over the whole lot if you are okay with that glue.

Having said all that I took out a sensor yesterday to find a big bruise and lump. This has not happened before in 2.5 years. Just one of those things. I shall leave that arm alone until it has settled.

I suspect that the itchiness you currently have may be just getting used to having it there, but keep a watch and see what it looks like when you do your next changeover.

With the transmitter it is important to charge it fully before inserting in order to get through the whole week. It is very fiddly getting the transmitter out without upsetting the sensor So best avoided.

It all seems a bit complicated to start with but you will soon be a dab-hand with it all, and for me looping (having the pump in Smartguard) is brilliant. Not perfect but it does a lot of the work for me and keeps me levels in range a lot more Than I did before.

Keep the questions coming.

using a tape that you know you are okay with underneath your sensor. (I think that is what @helli does)
Yes, I use Hypafix tape under my pump. I have not tried (or needed) to apply it under my CGM.
It provides a suitable barrier for the glue but allows a cannula through it easily to I would assume it would be ok for a CGM filament.

I have also used SkinTac and Cavilon as barrier creams/wipes.

Thank you for your replies @hell and @SB2015. I think I'm going to have to experiment with options.

I actually found inserting the sensor/ transmitter easier than i thought. But i feel it's going to be a bit of a project till i get it right. Also at the moment only have the graph on my pump as my phone is too old to cope with the Medtronic apps ! Research needed on suitable phones.

Looking forward to using Smartguard. Hopefully switching soon.... but need to be confident i won't be removing sensors due to rash. I've never had a problem with the cannulas causing reactions.

Back