Zero carbs? An appeal to low and very low carb members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No fresh meat contains vitamin C in suitable quantities for human health. The problems with scurvy came about through dried meat being all they had on the ships along with high carb ships biscuits.
not what is "meat" under common, modern parlance, no. Vitamin C is found in useful quantities in other organs that are typically discarded in a "modern" diet. It wasn't always so.

not what is "meat" under common, modern parlance, no. Vitamin C is found in useful quantities in other organs that are typically discarded in a "modern" diet. It wasn't always so.
Sorry I had missed a very important comma out of that first sentence.
I have now edited to include it.

Also edit to add the Vit C explanation can be found here..

I am simply here pointing out that along with 800cal per day meal replacement shakes there are other viable ways of putting T2 into remission.

There are low carb, ketogenic and "zero carb" diets that have all shown to be of benefit to many and not just T2's.
There's of course always bariatric surgery but that to me seems a very drastic solution for what is at heart a dietary problem.

Whether you think it silly or otherwise people all over the world are trying all these methods to put T2 into remission.
Some even try veganism although on another forum we recently saw a whole rush of vegetarians and vegans who were newly diagnosed so maybe that isn't such a great way to do it.

Open mindedness is usually the best way to approach these things ... pouring on scorn because you haven't heard of it before isn't.

Big hugs
M

Just now tucking into a carby mixed veg casserole with a bit of ham thrown in, way passed my lunch time.

Also edit to add the Vit C explanation can be found here..
How interesting. I can buy the first major part of the explanation: if you eat much less carbs then you might need much less vitamin C (there's some kind of competition between the two). The last bit seems less convincing (that meat itself provides the things we need to produce collagen which is one of the reasons we need vitamin C) for both the reason they give (that many of the participants cook the meat quite a bit) but also because most people surely eat more than enough meat.

Regardless, I'll keep my omnivorous diet, I think. And if you want to go very low carb I'd have thought eating some berries now and again would fit pretty well with that (berries taste nice, as well as being relatively low carb).

I'll keep my omnivorous diet,
Great ... I have never suggested that anybody shouldn't eat exactly what they want so far as I am aware.

Berries can be nice too maybe smothered in double cream but if you are aiming for "zero carb" then that wouldn't work.

The main thrust behind zero carb is eating only animal sourced food. Some have dairy others won't.

Some simply eat beef, salt and drink water.

And then further on .. again subtly ignored by your good self..

" You study bones when you look for a calcium deficiency. The thing to do then, was to examine the skeletons of people who had died at a reasonably high age after living from infancy upon an exclusive meat diet. Such skeletons are those of Eskimos who are known to have died before the European influences came in. The Institute of American Meat Packers were induced to make a subsidiary appropriation to the Peabody Museum of Harvard University where Dr. Earnest A. Hooton, Professor of Physical Anthropology, under took a through going study with regard to the calcium problem in the relation to the Museum's collection of the skeletons of meat eaters. Dr. Hooton reported no signs of calcium deficiency. On the contrary, there was every indication that the meat eaters had been liberally, or at least adequately, supplied. They had suffered no more in a lifetime from calcium deficiency than we had in our short year (really short, by the way for we enjoyed it)."

Eddie my man.
Stop making it up.
It's your link, not mine.
If you haven't read it, or if you are telling me you follow the Inuit "custom of eating fish bones and chewing the rib ends" for your calcium, fair play.
Sounds disgusting after that much raw meat.
If you don't, try not to fall over anytime soon.

Stop making it up.
Dearest I'm copy pasting from the exact same article that you were ... simply less selectively.

I haven't made anything up at all nor have I been selective in my postings.

For the last time however much you think it annoys me I am not and never have been Eddie Mitchell and if I were isn't doxxing banned here?

This is Eddie Mitchell
wUc9kKO--557379756.jpeg

And this is me
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 23.13.11.png

I think even you can agree we are different people.

I joined in on this thread because I was concerned about the nutritional aspect of following a zero carb diet. HVing asked my question, and studied all the answers, my take away from it is that it’s fine as long as we stick to lightly cooked offal. Yum.:confused:

I joined in on this thread because I was concerned about the nutritional aspect of following a zero carb diet. HVing asked my question, and studied all the answers, my take away from it is that it’s fine as long as we stick to lightly cooked offal. Yum.:confused:
Not really Dr Shawn Baker eats mainly steak and zero offal. He's the indoor rowing world record holder for his age.

https://carnivore.diet/dr-shawn-baker-md/

Not really Dr Shawn Baker eats mainly steak and zero offal. He's the indoor rowing world record holder for his age.

https://carnivore.diet/dr-shawn-baker-md/

Ah, surprise, a man with a book to sell.
And it's Paul Jeffrey now.
Pushed him off by nearly a second in 2018.

(So, "Dougie" and "dearest" now? That's a blast from the past, BigBird wasn't it then?)

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is, we don't need to - I find it almost weird, though, when reading all sorts of things, which is a long held habit of mine, to realise that I eat fish bones without even thinking about it - not the spiky ones though, and I chew the bones after eating meat.
I read that the Inuit people get a good supply of Vitamin C by eating the skin of a sea creature which browses on algae.
From my own experiments, though, even my really battered and broken metabolism happily copes with some carbs every time I eat, so even if I eat eggs every morning I can vary what I eat with them - or go out and pick an apple from my trees and enjoy watching the morning for a while before cooking just eggs.
I would advise not eating lightly cooked offal which has not been frozen and defrosted beforehand, simply as a precaution against becoming a host for parasites.

I would advise not eating lightly cooked offal which has not been frozen and defrosted beforehand, simply as a precaution against becoming a host for parasites.
That was just a joke based on some of the previous posts. I’m glad your diet isn't as unvaried and monotonous as some of the theories expounded further up the thread!

I think my takeaway is that while it is theoretically possible, and some do apparently follow it - I still can’t see the need for it? Even for any of our most carb-sensitive members.

Whether you think it silly or otherwise people all over the world are trying all these methods to put T2 into remission.

But I think that’s the thing that makes me question it. We have lots of members achieving non-diabetes numbers on around 90-130g of carbs a day. Carnivore seems far too fraught with unnecessary difficulty and perhaps even potential risk.

And I maintain that it still isn’t a helpful suggestion for newly arrived, worried, confused, bewildered members looking for reassurance, and a viable option for them going forward. I‘m not happy with newbies being recommended an approach that involves eating NO vegetables at all. I don’t think that’s a helpful direction of travel for most newbies. Or most people for that matter.

People can follow their own path of course, and find their own corners of the internet for support - and I’m happy for anyone to make their own choices, but I think anyone who consciously has chosen what might be called a ‘niche‘ approach should be clear about that when sharing their experiences?

Last edited:
The thing is, we don't need to - I find it almost weird, though, when reading all sorts of things, which is a long held habit of mine, to realise that I eat fish bones without even thinking about it - not the spiky ones though, and I chew the bones after eating meat.
I read that the Inuit people get a good supply of Vitamin C by eating the skin of a sea creature which browses on algae.
From my own experiments, though, even my really battered and broken metabolism happily copes with some carbs every time I eat, so even if I eat eggs every morning I can vary what I eat with them - or go out and pick an apple from my trees and enjoy watching the morning for a while before cooking just eggs.

Not really, mostly plant based food, like seaweed, berries, edible grasses, tubers, stems and roots.
And they ate the algae directly.
It's not all tundra, and they did have a healthy trade going.
Certainly not an exclusive meat diet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I’m home, just having glass of wine and a piece of offal and catching up…. Wow can’t help but feel I caused the drama. Apologies :rofl:

Not at all! This was very obviously all my doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back