What did you eat yesterday?

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
From what I gather from people here is it really depends on whether you are Type 1 or 2 or indeed any of the other variations and your individual tolerance when it comes to the amount of carbs you can have. Type 1 although it does seem to be quite tricky to manage have the 'luxury' of being able to compensate for higher carbs by adjusting the insulin. With Type 2 it seems more hit and miss as to what foods you can tolerate without pushing up blood glucose.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
From what I gather from people here is it really depends on whether you are Type 1 or 2 or indeed any of the other variations and your individual tolerance when it comes to the amount of carbs you can have. Type 1 although it does seem to be quite tricky to manage have the 'luxury' of being able to compensate for higher carbs by adjusting the insulin. With Type 2 it seems more hit and miss as to what foods you can tolerate without pushing up blood glucose.
This is why I am happy being on basal bolus insulin and don’t want to go back to tablets. The tablets rarely worked for me, and it was very hit and miss whether they’d decide to work on any given day or not. The same foods could give wildly different results on different days based on what mood my pancreas was in it seemed! Insulin is still unpredictable at times, but my bgs are way more stable injecting the insulin than with taking tablets to encourage my body to make a random amount more insulin with no correlation to what I ate. I also have the benefit of being able to eat a moderate carb diet which works better for my stomach issues.

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
You don't remember the price and carbs information off hand do you? Just I still amen't going out and with my eating disorder it's more difficult as I don't buy things unless I know the carbs and have deemed it "suitable" for my ED :( xx
Sorry, thought I still had some in the cupboard, but if I have it's well hidden behind/under other stuff......
No memory at all of the carbs, but think it was around £1.69/£1.79 for 500g, so way cheaper than Dorset. If it was relatively pricy I wouldn't have been buying it! They occasionally do it as one of their Super Weekend reductions, worth looking out for on their website.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
have the 'luxury'
I'm glad you put it this way as insulin is certainly not that much of a luxury, it's necessity to stay alive and comes with it's own bigger problems xx

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you @Kaylz :) I always eat the entire carton of anything, I think I'm a 'completist.' :D

5.5 isn't bad is it? I'm not getting the chives one again though.

I'm a completist too Ditto! :D 5.5 doesn't seem bad to me either - the chives one has the same carbs as the natural one.
I worked out the carbs because it said 2.2 per 100 and 250 is two and a half times 100 which is 2.2 twice and 1.1 once which makes 5.5. I can't do complicated sums like multiply by sixty so I need to find easy ways to work stuff out!

I made a booboo today :(

I made proper French bread rolls for my husband and you can guess what's coming next...
I tried a little weeny bit just to taste - and now my blood sugar is 9.7and I think that is after it was higher because I was putting off checking because I didn't want to know.

So now for drinking loads of water and weeing a lot and doing lots of exercise just to get back to where I started. Also scared to eat anything else in case I make it go higher again.
Tomorrow I will tackle making keto French bread so I don't get tempted again. It wasn't even as nice as the croissants I made the other day and I ate one and a half big ones of those but they were keto ingredients and had no effect on my blood sugar at all. Amazing the difference it makes.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sorry, thought I still had some in the cupboard, but if I have it's well hidden behind/under other stuff......
No memory at all of the carbs, but think it was around £1.69/£1.79 for 500g, so way cheaper than Dorset. If it was relatively pricy I wouldn't have been buying it! They occasionally do it as one of their Super Weekend reductions, worth looking out for on their website.
Thanks but you didn't even have to try and find some! LOL xx

Newbie777

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@Newbie777 sorry to be rude here but you may want to go canny on the cheese consumption, you mentioned that you didn't want many eggs due to it aiding constipation, cheese can have exactly the same effect unfortunately xx
Hello Kaylz,

Please don't apologise, you have not done anything wrong

Yes, I have now cut back back on my cheese consumption I was on about 150g a day minimum, now about 50 to 70g a day and also no more than 2 eggs a day.

Also I now look at alternative snacks that are good and not too dry too like full fat Greek yogurt with Blueberries

Newbie777

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
B- usual
L - Chicken grilled with boiled egg salad
T - homemade spicy seekh kebabs (using lamb mince meat, cooked on grill) 3 pieces with salad. Nb, BG did not spike well.

Snacks not had much as trying to get fasting read below 6.0...so a few walnuts, 30g of cheese but checked this morning and it is 4.9!

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm glad you put it this way as insulin is certainly not that much of a luxury, it's necessity to stay alive and comes with it's own bigger problems xx
Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to imply that it was easy if you are on insulin, anything but. I do have a habit of putting my big foot in it sometimes. I am amazed how well people cope with a regime that needs constant adjustment.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Kaylz
Between @silentsquirrel and myself we will get you the info. as I too use the Lidl Deluxe Super Nutty Granola. It is 58.5g carbs/100g. I used to weigh it out and have it with yoghurt and berries but now I am a bit more lax and just have a sprinkle on the top of my yoghurt, berries and seeds. I haven't tried the Super Berry version as I was interested in the lowest carb they sold, which is probably a contradiction in thought process when I then have it with defrosted frozen berries :rolleyes:
I agree that the price is probably about £1.79 for 500g

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@rebrascora thanks for that, much appreciated! After years of porridge I'm getting a little fed up of it! But as I say budget is away to become even tighter for keeping myself fed so cheap is the only option but I like being able to pot things up etc in advance as any touching things as you know involves a rather long session at the bathroom sink and I do enough of that through the day without it at 7am! lol xx

Catherine Lindsay

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I have a question, for a long while now way before diagnosis I've not been able to finish my meals. I have had explorative stomach appointments in the past and all has been OK. Is it possible that this has been a diabetes symptom? For instance last nite I had a pouch of wholegrain rice and a serving spoon of quorn curry v mild and I could only eat half of it. Xx

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Aren't those pouches generally supposed to contain 2 servings? Apologies if the one you are using is just a single serving but it is very easy to lose sight of what a portion is and many of us found once we started looking more closely at labels and carbohydrate content that we had been eating quite shocking amounts and not thinking anything of it.
Having said that, I very much doubt it is the diabetes which is causing you to struggle with eating it all. You would however generally be better off eating more of the curry sauce and much less of the rice. On the rare occasions that I eat rice, I limit myself to 2 dessert spoons which is usually just enough to mop up the juice from the chinese or curry.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
B: Greek yoghurt, mixed berries, scattering Lizi's low sugar granola
L: homemade Broccoli and Rochefort soup (much better with Stilton but didn't have any) ryvita thin, pastrami, celery, half apple.
D: barbeque spare ribs, salad, half a bread roll, stewed apple and half tub quark desert.
Drinks as usual

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I have a question, for a long while now way before diagnosis I've not been able to finish my meals. I have had explorative stomach appointments in the past and all has been OK. Is it possible that this has been a diabetes symptom? For instance last nite I had a pouch of wholegrain rice and a serving spoon of quorn curry v mild and I could only eat half of it. Xx
Does it matter if you are not finishing what is on your plate? Maybe you are putting too much out for your appetite. It depends if you are then feeling hungry later. In the days when we could actually go out for meals, it was very off putting if the portion was just too big, it was overwhelming. So try smaller portion on your plate, you can go back for more if you still feel able to. You could try smaller amounts of a bigger variety of foods on your plate.

Catherine Lindsay

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
No its certainly doesn't and its a good thing as I'm losing weight. I was just wondering if it was a T2 thing. Xxx

Catherine Lindsay

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Aren't those pouches generally supposed to contain 2 servings? Apologies if the one you are using is just a single serving but it is very easy to lose sight of what a portion is and many of us found once we started looking more closely at labels and carbohydrate content that we had been eating quite shocking amounts and not thinking anything of it.
Having said that, I very much doubt it is the diabetes which is causing you to struggle with eating it all. You would however generally be better off eating more of the curry sauce and much less of the rice. On the rare occasions that I eat rice, I limit myself to 2 dessert spoons which is usually just enough to mop up the juice from the chinese or curry.
Ahhh good points thank you ill check the pouches as I hadn't even though that they might be 2 servings!!!

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Catherine Lindsay The ones I have say it in the nutritional information table on the back. It gives nutritional info per serving (half the contents). I was quite surprised that I couldn't find it displayed more prominently anywhere else on the labelling.

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The Tilda rice sachets are 250g and say on the front per 125g portion but only give sugars in the traffic light info, as you say the carbs are on the back. A typical one is 28g carb per 125g serving i.e. half the sachet. So a whole sachet would be quite a big portion and quite a lot of carbs (my total per day amount).

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm in a rush, trying to post before midnight! :) I'm all behind! Many a true word...

Weight 14 8.2 Tum 49
Not long after getting up - 6.5 @ 6.37am / pint water / Nescafe
Brunch: pint water/ carton Longley Farm cottage cheese with chives / pint water with meds / 9.3 @ noon
(I measured my bg as I came over unnecessary, ill, dunno if cottage cheese or not.)
Dinner: pint water / large can salmon and pkt microwave cabbage / pint water / 6.9 @ 21.09

I was full to bursting, just no need to be so greedy... what I think of as healthy food but just too much! The pkt cabbage said four servings and the salmon would have served a family of five in the 1930s!! :rolleyes:

Last edited: