What did you eat yesterday?

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@NotWorriedAtAll Just to reinforce @silentsquirrel's comment. Metformin takes days if not weeks to build up in the system to be effective. It is not like taking a Paracetamol for a headache so I would not risk upsetting your system ny taking an odd one here or there for no significant gain.

Does it not concern you at all that you are using a lot of processed foods and chemicals in your baking?
Don't get me wrong, I greatly admire your commitment and determination to make all these low carb foods and they look, and no doubt taste, amazing, but using and consuming so many highly "manufactured" products on a daily basis in order to achieve it, would give me pause for thought.

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wish. ((hugs))

I think I'm obsessing totally on food control because it is the one thing I have some power over.
I've had my PIP forms sitting to be filled in for three months and it took me years to get to the point where I plucked up enough courage to even phone to get them sent to me. I've gone past the deadline for them now. Just thinking about them makes me feel sick but if something happened to my husband I'd have no income at all and no support. I will have to make myself fill them in but I will have to phone again and start the process all again to do so.

That's interesting. I shan't bother next time then as the side effects are startling to say the least!!! LOLS It is good news though because that means eating the white bread etc now and then in moderation isn't too terrible for my levels.

Eclairs recipe.

View attachment 14510
  • Recipe for the doughy part:
  • 1/2 cup of almond flour
  • 3 tablespoons of psyllium husk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon of flax seed
  • 1 cup of water at 70C

• Method.
  • Mix the dry ingredients together until it is all one.
  • melt the coconut oil - I do it in the microwave in a silicon cake cup - it takes 10 seconds in mine.
  • Pour the hot water into a measuring cup then pour the oil into the dry ingredients followed by the water - I pour it over the cake cup to rinse as much of the oil into the mix - saves waste and makes washing up a bit easier.

• Mix the mixture with a spoon until it is all gloopy and keep going until it sticks together and a bit longer until it is a nice ball.

• It will be fairly soft and puffy because of the psyllium husk, flax and baking powder.

• Shape it into four longish buns,

• I then put mine into a poached egg maker as shown in the picture. I took the inserts out and put one 'bun' into each compartment and then microwaved at full power without the lid for 4 minutes one way up and then very carefully turned them over and microwaved for another 4 minutes. I think this would work if you put them in any shallow microwavable container.

• Then I put them on a cooling rack.

• I whipped some double cream with a bit of powdered Sweetener and put it in the fridge.

• I put two squares of chocologic chocolate into each compartment of the poached egg maker.

When the buns were cooled - I made an incision with a sharp long bladed thin knife (they will have a pouch in them as the microwaving puffs them up) and then used an icing bag and nozzle to squeeze the cream into the 'buns.'

• I put the filled eclair buns into the fridge to chill.

• I microwaved some chocologic chocolate (any low carb or 100% cocoa chocolate will work - or you can make your own chocolate with 100% cocoa powder mixed with coconut oil and a bit of cocoa butter in the microwave) until it was only just melted and then using a tiny plastic spoon put some on top of each eclair and then pop them back into the fridge until the chocolate has hardened up
Great, thanks!
I just need to get the psyllium husk ordered. I'll try with melted butter rather than coconut oil, not keen on that.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@NotWorriedAtAll Just to reinforce @silentsquirrel's comment. Metformin takes days if not weeks to build up in the system to be effective. It is not like taking a Paracetamol for a headache so I would not risk upsetting your system ny taking an odd one here or there for no significant gain.

Does it not concern you at all that you are using a lot of processed foods and chemicals in your baking?
Don't get me wrong, I greatly admire your commitment and determination to make all these low carb foods and they look, and no doubt taste, amazing, but using and consuming so many highly "manufactured" products on a daily basis in order to achieve it, would give me pause for thought.
Quick answer no. The ingredients I use are much less processed than something like rapeseed oil and no more highly processed etc than salt (which commonly has potassium ferrocyanide in it as an anti-caking agent - and yes it is a salt of cyanide) , white flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar or stock cubes or non-brewed condiment or soya sauce or indeed the milk that people buy every day which is highly processed and reconstituted.and I have checked everything I use for health effects and they are all things that have been used for many many years. I personally have no allergic responses to any of them and I am a sensitive person as far as stuff like that is concerned. I'd rather make my own loaf and know the reliable source of the ingredients and exactly what and why they are in the recipe than buy a loaf of bread with soya (which I am sensitive to) and palm oil etc

After all everything is chemicals. Even water. The trick is to know what those chemicals are and how they interact and which ones do harm and which don't. For example I would never use carrageenan as it has reliably been shown to be carcinogenic. Brans and fibres are simply the side products of milling wheat and oats and are therefore ecologically friendly as they mean those side products are not wasted.

The only ingredient I use that is not mechanically derived from plants is xanthan gum and that has tons of science to back up its safety even in large amounts and I only use very small amounts in my cooking because that's all that's needed.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Great, thanks!
I just need to get the psyllium husk ordered. I'll try with melted butter rather than coconut oil, not keen on that.
That would work as well and probably olive oil too.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@NotWorriedAtAll Thanks for clarifying. I hope you didn't feel that I was being critical... I just wondered if you had given it any consideration, which you clearly have. I was a public health analyst in a previous life, so I have some knowledge of food and chemicals. I very much appreciate your detailed and thoughtful reply.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@NotWorriedAtAll Thanks for clarifying. I hope you didn't feel that I was being critical... I just wondered if you had given it any consideration, which you clearly have. I was a public health analyst in a previous life, so I have some knowledge of food and chemicals. I very much appreciate your detailed and thoughtful reply.
No not at all.
I am planning to put a book together and this type of conversation is useful for me as it helps me recognise the sorts of questions people might have about this type of cooking. Thank you.

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Here's my eating day again

Breakfast: Mix of egg, almonds, seeds, blueberries and a dash of nut oil - microwaved for a couple of minutes
Lunch: Cottage cheese, smoked salmon and green salad with oil and vinegar dressing
Snack: Finncrisp with peanut butter
Supper: Chicken wings (from double cook yesterday) Cauli-rice stir fry with sweetcorn, onion, garlic, yellow pepper, celery/
Drinks: tomato juice, tea, coffee and water.

Total carbs around 60g BG reading this morning 5.7

karloc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My extreme diet - not for the faint hearted :)

Yesterdays 'food'!
Breakfast - White coffee, full fat milk, no sugar :( (oh how I miss you).
Lunch - Coffee - couple of spoonfuls of clotted cream (that stuff is so nice :)).
Dinner - Tin of tuna with 2 large fried eggs, Coffee
plus a few extra coffees through the day and a few cups of bovril.

Yes I do feel hungry / starving :). Finding what works for us is one of the hardest parts.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Food yesterday.

Breakfast - one sliced tomato with my home made cottage cheese
Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 10.04.44.png
Cup of decaff coffee to drink - no milk no sweetener.

Lunch/evening meal - Tinned corned beef, guacamole made with avocado, lime juice, grated spring onion, Worcestershire sauce, tabasco sauce, olive oil, mayonnaise, lettuce leaves, six radishes and for dessert fresh strawberries with whipped cream and a very tiny amount of xylitol.

Snack at bedtime - small amount of peanuts and a small chunk of drywors.

Yesterday was delivery day from the butchers and the local fruit and veg people so I was spoiled for choice after spending ages prepping everything to make sure it would all keep and I won't waste anything.
Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 12.40.20.png

Breakfast today was bacon, half a tomato and decaff coffee and half a tin of laverbread made into patties with psyllium husk, linseed and chia seed and almond flour and oregano and then microwaved and then finished in the bacon fat.

I've just finished cooking the small chicken that came yesterday in the delivery so we can have it cold later with salad.

I'm planning on making both keto versions and sugar versions of lemon marmalade and lemon curd and making 'proper' bread and keto bread today as a hot kitchen is ideal for bread making and tomorrow is supposed to be super hot and I won't want to cook indoors tomorrow.

Last edited:

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Monday
B - jumbo oats made with almond milk (Asda own rather than the usual Alpro, shame I cant get it all the time as its just as good and A LOT cheaper!) and a dollop of peanut butter, cup of coffee
D - wholemeal smoked Bavarian ham sandwich and a dark chocoloate kit kat, pint of water
Pint of water
T - king prawn & mozzarella 2 egg omelette, boiled baby potatoes and steamed broccoli and a 25g bar Moser Roth 85%, pint of water
Cup of coffee
1 digestive before bed
Yesterday
B - Same as previous day
D - Same as previous day
T - chicken breast, boiled baby potatoes, roasted broccoli and a splodge of mayo, 1 square Lindt 90%, pint of water
Cup of coffee
2 digestive biscuits before bed
Today
B - Same as previous day
D - wholemeal prawn sandwich and a dark chocolate mint kit kat, pint of water
T will be - mince & mushrooms with an egg dropped in for the last 5 minutes, boiled baby potatoes, steamed broccoli, 1 square Lindt 90% and a pint of water

May add some of my flavour concentrates into my porridge some day too
xx

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Today's food
Breakfast
: Home made lemon 'rice pudding' made with konjac rice, some of the homemade lemon curd I made this morning (three eggs, sweetener to taste and the juice and zest of two large lemons - whisked together and microwaved in 40 second bursts until it thickened into lemon curd) and some cinnamon and double cream.

Lunch: Leftover chicken. Posh way for saying I picked over the bones.

Evening meal: Half a cucumber and then I made another batch of rice pudding with lemon curd and cream as I had done for breakfast and this time I didn't share.

Late snack: Lemon ice cream to use up the last of the double cream before it turns.Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 22.20.16.png

Last edited:

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Karloc why are you eating like that? Diet's dafter than mine! :D No veggies! Too extreme. Is it for a short time or something? I might have missed an earlier post.

I'm still trying to get on a 'liver' diet, but it's just so hard. I am ravenous at all times. I got up at 4 so I could eat breakfast. :D

Tues 30th
B: Pt water with fibre - SlimFast - Pt water with meds.
L: 4 rashers Bacon, 3 fried Eggs, cup of instant Coffee with dash milk, 1 Sweetex.
D: Caramel flavoured SlimFast (bit cloying) - waters - went to bed to dream of food.

Wed 1st
B: 7.9 @ 7.47am (not measured for ages) Pt water with fibre - Cold Pizza and a cup of Instant - Pt water with meds.
L: Caramel SlimFast - Coffee, dash milk, 1 sweetener
D: Banana SlimFast - Pt water - wanted to cry with hunger, I was soooooo hungry... stupid liver. Not even bothered about the D, it's all about the liver symptoms. I can't stands it. Not very much to look forward to, that's for sure.

I'm waiting for my Exante order, but don't think I did it right, never got fiver off as far as I can see, £2.49 for delivery on order over £30 and didn't see anything re a gift to the person sending me the link. I fail at online shopping.

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Breakfast: Chopped strawberries, Greek yoghurt, mixed seeds
Lunch: Tuna mixed with soft cheese, celery, peppers and spring onions
Snack: A few walnuts
Supper: Home made pizza. Crust made with ground almonds, cauli-rice and olive oil. - First time I made this. Much to my surprise the crust held together quite well, it tasted much better than I thought it would and was quite filling. - Even some left-over for next day lunch.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This thread is fabulous...I've got some great ideas for livening up my diet thanks!

Today I had mushroom 2 egg omelette for breakfast
Lunch was Lo-Dough* pizza with passata, mushrooms and mozerella (it's a bit like eating mushrooms and cheese on air!)
Snack: handful of almonds and walnuts
Dinner will be moroccan lamb with no rice but I'll pinch a small corner of my partner's flatbread! Plus a nice glass of red wine.

*Toucan, your pizza dough sounds much tastier and healthier, will give that a go next time. x

karloc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@Ditto No veggies is normal for me anyway - always hated them. My super extreame diet is only temporary just to drop my BG levels super low to try and shift some more weight. I have found that if I keep my BG in the 'normal' range I just cant loose weight, but keeping it closer to 4.0 I can shift some weight.

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Breakfast: Fried egg, turkey rasher, tomato
Lunch: left over low-carb pizza and green salad
Snack; Mini melba toast with peanut butter.
Supper: Salmon fillet, cauli-rice and a sauce made with cream cheese, yoghurt, basil oil and herbs. AND glass of white wine
Lots of tea and coffee, but not enough water - find it so difficult to remember to drink lots of water.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I change my daily eating plan about once in a blue moon, and not by much. Here's where I am now most days:

B: Bowl with 5 strawberries, 10 walnut halves, half a slice of pumpernickel broken up, with juice of half a lemon. Big soy flat white with 30g chia seeds.

L: Maybe 40g of unsalted peanuts with lemon juice. Or maybe some salmon sashimi.

Afternoon: Medium soy flat white with 30g chia seeds.

D: Bowl with 50g edamame, 50g leaves, avocado, 10 snowpea pods, third of a pear, 25g pomegranate arils, couple of dates, lots of lemon juice.

Grazing: Almonds, trying not to eat too many; and some carrot.

Gives more than the rec daily intake for fibre, essential fatty acids, essential amino acids, vitamins & minerals, except for Vit B12 and zinc, so I also take a multivitamin.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Today I made soup from onion, broccoli, kale, spinach, watercress, rocket and celery. It looks slightly disgusting but tastes quite nice with a judicious quantity of black pepper. This will be my lunch for the next 7 days...if I can stand it ;)

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Today I made soup from onion, broccoli, kale, spinach, watercress, rocket and celery. It looks slightly disgusting but tastes quite nice with a judicious quantity of black pepper. This will be my lunch for the next 7 days...if I can stand it ;)
You might find the flavour improves and it is more filling with the addition of a generous dollop of Crème Fraiche, cream cheese or double cream mixed into it.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
You might find the flavour improves and it is more filling with the addition of a generous dollop of Crème Fraiche, cream cheese or double cream mixed into it.
Thanks Barbara, I keep forgetting I am allowed cream! :D