What did you eat yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breakfast: wholemeal muffin and scrambled eggs- coffee w semi skimmed milk

making some progress after breaking the diet on my birthday week- my carer was here yesterday so I was able to spend a few hours in the kitchen cooking- made Spinach & sweetcorn fritters and Butternut Squash & Borlotti beans stew (from the Diabetes UK's recipe finder ) made adjustments to the stew using one tin of chopped tomatoes instead of two and lightening it with a bit of water.

lunch was two of the spinach & sweetcorn fritters and watercress & grated onion salad- had a bite of a brownie my daughter made, with Truvia & 74% cooking chocolate.

lots of green tea and raspberry & blood orange tea, an apricot and a little box of blueberries in the afternoon.

evening before my daughter came back had a couple of the spinach fritters, then when she came back we had the Buternut squash stew.
I couldn't sleep until 4:30 am even though I was awake at 7 am in the morning, it generally happens when I get out of bed and get more active, had a small bowl with sea food (muscles, shrimps, shelled prawns, and they cheat by putting some crab sticks and then making bulk by adding the same, only shredded- I'n quiet sure, having grown up in the sea side, none of it has actual crab in it but better than eating bread or the things I used to much on, I'm even ashamed of typing them! LOL) without any dressing. I also had a couple of squares cut of the 74% cooking chocolate.

woke up at 8:00 am with my carer's text that she isn't coming today, so, not a very good start of the day, I'm only having coffee...

I don't understand. Are your BG levels ok when you eat Potatoes, Oatcake, Porridge, Parsnips? If I ate these foods, my Glucose levels go up to higher levels if I were not to eat those foods mentioned above. My typical day is nothing for breakfast. Lunch a meat salad or homemade soup, Dinner would be..Broccoli and Cauliflower mash, pork chop, and greens or other vegs that grow above ground. Rice pasta couscous potatoes bread is all no-no for me. I will eat Berries full fat cream, full fat butter, Olive oil, all meat, fish, certain nuts eggs cheese etc. I have looked around this site and am shocked at what Diabetes.UK are telling Diabetics to eat. I used to eat all so I thought healthy food what this site are recommending and I ended up being a Pre-Diabetic. Now I have changed my diet and my sugar levels are under control

Brunch. Cheese and onion sarnie, an apple and coffee with cream.
D. Not hungry, Coke Zero
S. Some walnuts
S . needed as dropping fast a good slug of juice followed a bit later with a slice of cheese and onion quiche so I could sleep safely.
Water throughout the day.

I don't understand. Are your BG levels ok when you eat Potatoes, Oatcake, Porridge, Parsnips? If I ate these foods, my Glucose levels go up to higher levels if I were not to eat those foods mentioned above. My typical day is nothing for breakfast. Lunch a meat salad or homemade soup, Dinner would be..Broccoli and Cauliflower mash, pork chop, and greens or other vegs that grow above ground. Rice pasta couscous potatoes bread is all no-no for me. I will eat Berries full fat cream, full fat butter, Olive oil, all meat, fish, certain nuts eggs cheese etc. I have looked around this site and am shocked at what Diabetes.UK are telling Diabetics to eat. I used to eat all so I thought healthy food what this site are recommending and I ended up being a Pre-Diabetic. Now I have changed my diet and my sugar levels are under control

Hi @Derry , welcome to the forum. We on this forum as opposed to the main Site mostly reduce our carbohydrates by varying degrees, following a variety of diets including Keto . It really depends on what we as individuals can tolerate.
I am lucky in that even before I went onto insulin I tolerated wholemeal bread so long as I kept to no more than two slices a day, Porridge has a,ways been fine for me and I can have a small amount of mashed potato.
We also bare our sins here on this thread. So if or rather when I fall off the wagon it gets reported on here.

Personally I am not keen on some of the recipe ideas put forward by Diabetes UK as I find them far too carby for me as well as needing a cupboard full of ingredients. I much prefer simple meals that I grew up with, with the occasional curry or Chinese with either little or no rice.

You might want to have a read of what we think about the latest meal suggestions in the Balance magazine
meal-suggestions-in-balance-would-they-suit-you-genuine-questions

Last edited:
Today
Tea
B: Porridge, 2 boiled eggs, water.
Tea
L: I had a pork pie minus the pastry :D & an Activia NAS yogurt
Water
T: Brisket cooked in the slow cooker with carrot, onion & turnip and a few new potatoes, tea
Water
Chouffe coffee (Belgian coffee liqueur)

25/09/18
06:56 BS 6.9. Awake. Feeling lazy & stayed in bed for a bit!

08:14 BS 8.2 20 units Novorapid, cautious reduction, exercises & Breakfast:- 1 serving lamb curry, 1 serving steam veg rice birdseye & 1 cup tea twinings everyday with longlife almond milk. 09:48 BS 12.5. Yikes! Correction of 2 units. I can’t remember the last time I had rice & I think not in combination with the curry or at breakfast! Maybe at lunch or dinner when my insulin resistance is less? Also, reheating cold rice doesn’t help as it still affects BS: unlike pasta & potatoes! Lesson learned!:(

11:38 BS 8.2. After correction. 24 units Levemir & all other meds.

12:56 BS 8.2. Tesco delivery here & put away so, 16 units, taking account of 2 active units from correction, Lunch:- 1 pack 12 chicken gyoza steamed itsu & 150ml apple juice tesco, grower’s harvest, missed this.

Was tired & went to bed. Midnight alarm woke me up. Will post dinner in tomorrow’s post. 00:05 BS 7.4.

Hope you all had a good day!🙂

My ear is really starting to bother me now & if I wasn’t waiting for tesco delivery, I would have seen GP. Will definitely do so tomorrow & get antibiotics: loud gurgling in my ear is VERY annoying!😡

My ear is really starting to bother me now & if I wasn’t waiting for tesco delivery, I would have seen GP. Will definitely do so tomorrow & get antibiotics: loud gurgling in my ear is VERY annoying!😡
Hope you get it sorted

25/09/18
06:56 BS 6.9. Awake. Feeling lazy & stayed in bed for a bit!

08:14 BS 8.2 20 units Novorapid, cautious reduction, exercises & Breakfast:- 1 serving lamb curry, 1 serving steam veg rice birdseye & 1 cup tea twinings everyday with longlife almond milk. 09:48 BS 12.5. Yikes! Correction of 2 units. I can’t remember the last time I had rice & I think not in combination with the curry or at breakfast! Maybe at lunch or dinner when my insulin resistance is less? Also, reheating cold rice doesn’t help as it still affects BS: unlike pasta & potatoes! Lesson learned!:(

11:38 BS 8.2. After correction. 24 units Levemir & all other meds.

12:56 BS 8.2. Tesco delivery here & put away so, 16 units, taking account of 2 active units from correction, Lunch:- 1 pack 12 chicken gyoza steamed itsu & 150ml apple juice tesco, grower’s harvest, missed this.

Was tired & went to bed. Midnight alarm woke me up. Will post dinner in tomorrow’s post. 00:05 BS 7.4.

Hope you all had a good day!🙂

I hope they sort out your ear infection once and for all, mines come back for a return visit grr .

B. Had the last of that bread 🙂 toasted to a black crisp with peanut butter and a large coffee with the last of the cream:(
L . 4 Sesame seed Ryvita’s (my favourites) with cheese , coffee and an apple.
D . Not hungry, sparkling water.
S. A slice of cheese n onion quiche and a Coke Zero.
Before bed snack , some walnuts

B. Had the last of that bread 🙂 toasted to a black crisp with peanut butter and a large coffee with the last of the cream:(
L . 4 Sesame seed Ryvita’s (my favourites) with cheese , coffee and an apple.
D . Not hungry, sparkling water.
S. A slice of cheese n onion quiche and a Coke Zero.
Before bed snack , some walnuts

I’ll bet you’re relieved!:D

I’ll bet you’re relieved!:D
Most definitely.
I used to love white bread, mind you that was back in the day when bread was real bread and not the steamed pap it is now. Yes I know I could make my own wholemeal etc the only trouble with that is, I would be far too tempted to eat it :D and they’d be thick slices too😱

Just a quick update! Just back afer GP visit & eaten a naughty lunch: fish & chip shop next door to the chemist!😱😛

Very nice locum doctor with a pleasant bedside manner. My sinues are still bunged up after my cold tha’s affecting the ears. It would be best to use a decongestant but, can’t on blood pressure medication. I found that out myself the hard way when I used a vicks inhaler for a stuffy nose & felt SO ill for 24 hours! All the info leaflets for decongestants state they can’t be taken with blood pressure meds.:(

The doctor gave me a spray instead to calm down the inflamed skin. Ears are clear with no sign of infection. She took the time to read my notes & joked with me about my trampolining accident, asked me for my BS readings this morning & told me they were very good, for me! She must have gotten them from my hospital DSN team as I printout all my readings for them from mySugr app. A very pleasant visit with a doctor that has a very nice bedside manner!🙂

Tea
Milky cocoa
B: 1 Rye & sunflower seed bread toasted, 1/2 avocado, 2 poached eggs, Greek yogurt with cinnamon.
Tea
Cheeky home made sausage roll (not made by me)
L: Raspberries, Activia NAS yogurt
Tea
T: Chicken supreme, cauli rice, red wine.

Tea
Milky cocoa
B: 1 Rye & sunflower seed bread toasted, 1/2 avocado, 2 poached eggs, Greek yogurt with cinnamon.
Tea
Cheeky home made sausage roll (not made by me)
L: Raspberries, Activia NAS yogurt
Tea
T: Chicken supreme, cauli rice, red wine.

Nice menu apart, from the avocado: yuck! Puking emoji

26/09/18
00:05 BS 7.4. 20 units Novorapid 6 units Levemir Dinner:- 1 pack 12 chicken gyzoya steamed & 150ml apple juice tesco growers harvest. 02:21 BS 12.6. Correction 2 units Novorapid. Slept.

07:28 Awake BS 6.5. 18 units Novorapid, cautious reduction, exercises & Breakfast:- 1.5 packs 12 tempura prawns & bottled water. Not really hungry. 09:05 BS 8.9.

10:33 BS 9.9 at GP’s waiting room! Bit stressed!

12:26 just back home after getting ear spray at chemist & buying lunch at the chip shop next door. 24 units Novorapid, carbs guess, 24 units Levemir & all other meds Lunch:- 2 sausages, chips & beans with half bottle 250ml coke. Very naughty & I don’t normally eat this but, was very relieved after visit to GP! @Ljc, feel free to slap me!:D 14:22 BS 9.5. Whey hey! Not a bad guess!🙂

Dozed off after applying ear spray after eating, in case it permeates the ENT tract & tastes horrible: tea tree oil; yuck!:(

17:20 Awake BS 5.4. That’s quite a drop while I was asleep. Know I’m not done sleeping: wee call of nature, really! Don’t want to risk going lower during more sleep so, had the other half bottle 250ml coke & 1x32.5g pack crisps roast chicken walkers & 10 units Novorapid, guessing dose. Went back to sleep.

21:55 Awake BS 10.5. Eh! Obviously under guessed the dose a little. Not hungry yet! May or may not eat before midnight: most likely NOT. But, midnight Levemir will help bring that down! Which I might take a bit earlier & go back to sleep!

I hope you all had a good day & not been as naughty as I was!🙂

Had to carb guess twice today & didn’t get it right! I forgot that my pre lunch reading was still elevated by the stress of going to see the GP? Hence the drop after I dozed off? Then, under estimated the insulin dose for the precautionary snack before going back to sleep! I can’t get it right every time!🙄

Wednesday 26/9
FBG (5.30am) 4.1
Breakfast (8am): Toast (one slice, seeded), scrambled egg, mushrooms,
tomatoes / Juice from one orange {289 Cal / 22.2g Carbs}

Snack (11am): Peach, macadamias {98 Cal / 8.8g Carbs}
……………………………..2 mile walk
……………………………..5 km row (24 min 15 sec)

Lunch (12pm): Lamb & barley broth {98 Cal / 11.8g Carbs}
Cottage cheese & avocado salad {308 Cal / 8.6g Carbs}
Strawberries, blueberries, yoghurt, hazelnuts {134 Cal / 9.3g Carbs}

BG (6pm) 4.7
Dinner (6pm): Spanish fish stew, pangrattato /
Sauvignon Blanc (4oz) {611 Cal / 48.7g Carbs}
Malaga ice cream {157 Cal / 21.1g Carbs}

Snack (9pm): Toast (one slice, seeded), milk (semi skimmed) {167 Cal / 18.1g Carbs}

4 cups of coffee too

Calories 1940
Carbs 159.3g
Protein 109.6g
Fat 72.5g (Sat Fat 18.1g / Trans fat 0.7g)

All food cooked from scratch, if you would like any recipes please just ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back