What Are You Listening To?

View attachment 31627

"Nobody talks like that!". Jack Lemmon doing the tango is one of my favourite film sequences ever. It's no surprise that Tarantino refers to it in 'Pulp Fiction'.
I connected with my now wife while dating over movie talk. this was one. Along with “cabaret?” The producers original was outrageously funny. Pulp fiction was great! Lol. In order to stay on topic of music.

I connected with my now wife while dating over movie talk. this was one. Along with “cabaret?” The producers original was outrageously funny. Pulp fiction was great! Lol. In order to stay on topic of music.

My favourite bit of 'Pulp Fiction is the 'Psycho' reminder :rofl:
1727381531869.png

Spooky, our oldest daughter was watching it when I got home from work yesterday. If nothing else we've given her good taste in films.
Some social commentary’s seem timeless! Even my mum knowers what was happening I gues were not the first generation to invent rebellion. I’m clued up enough to know my mum was not totally clueless.

Ouch. If I remember rightly Bruice Willis winds up in a right wing gun shop owning pretatory “SA’er” with this guy & manages to escape? Then doesn’t have the heart to leave this guy pursuing him behind “We good?” “We good.”
That's right! Tarantino resurrected the careers of several actors, including Bruce Willis, John Travolta and Harvey Keitel.

I've been exploring the back catalogue of Mitch Benn. For those who don't know, he does mainly humourous songs with very clever lyrics. I've put together a playlist called BOMB.

Over time he has satyrised Elvis, T. Rex, The Smiths, Iron Maiden, Elton John, Ed Shearon, The practice of digging up old demo tapes to create a new Beatles record, Lloyd Webber musicals, Boy bands, you name it.

Last edited:
I've been exploring the back catalogue of Mitch Benn. For those who don't know, he does mainly humourous songs with very clever lyrics. I've put together a playlist called BOMB.

Over time he has satyrised Elvis, T. Rex, The Smiths, Iron Maiden, Elton John, Ed Shearon, The practice of digging up old demo tapes to create a new Beatles record, Lloyd Webber musicals, Boy bands, you name it.
And it looks like he’s done a live session with his kid? “You’re so old/young.” Thanks for the pointer. I enjoy a bit of satire & parody.

Axis Of Awesome also did a boy band parody How To Write A Love Song. There is a TV ad for Amazon that uses Pachabel's Cannon in D as background music. This piece of music is over 300 years old but is still influential due to the chord progression. This is demonstrated by a song called Four Chords by Axis Of Awesome where they play short bursts of random songs over the same four chords. The canon itself is great too as it starts off very simple and gradually adds more and more complexity until by the end it's counterpoint heaven.

Axis Of Awesome also did a boy band parody How To Write A Love Song. There is a TV ad for Amazon that uses Pachabel's Cannon in D as background music. This piece of music is over 300 years old but is still influential due to the chord progression. This is demonstrated by a song called Four Chords by Axis Of Awesome where they play short bursts of random songs over the same four chords. The canon itself is great too as it starts off very simple and gradually adds more and more complexity until by the end it's counterpoint heaven.
That reminds me of Paul McCartney writing 'Silly Love Songs' in response to Lennon's sniping at him: it got to Number 1 in the US and Number 2 in the UK.

Something different I have listened to is Dame Maggie Smith teaching Carol Burnett to speak cockney. Their comic timing is perfect and her use of gottal stops and a sentence where she drops all the h's is brilliant. Think Judi Dench and Sheila Hancock are the only senior dames left.

Last edited:
Red - "I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I like to think they were singing about something so beautiful it can't be expressed into words, and makes your heart ache because of it."
A fantastic bit of music.....

@pjgtech Mozart is brilliant. I remember singing his requiem and have been to special performances. I studied the original play by Beaumarchais for French A level. What a lovely recording.

I only saw this recently, a moving story, this young lady (15 at the time of recording) has a rare stomach disease, she cannot eat, has to be fed through a tube in her stomach, but she wants to be a singer, and boy, what a singer she is!
The conductors intro gives a bit of background on her....
I found this performance very moving. Its sung in French, and the lyrics are apparently about a person who has a dream, so very apt, enjoy....

Elgar..Enigma Variations..my all time favourite piece of classical music.

Back