Wasn’t expecting to be posting this news again…surprise pregnancy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant HbA1C @merrymunky ! How quickly the time’s gone! I’m sure the last few weeks will go quickly - quicker than you think!

Can you talk to anyone about your anxieties about the birth? Sometimes getting it all out and getting feedback and information from a professional can really help.

Hope the home straight passes swiftly and smoothly for you @merrymunky

And well done on that cracking A1c 🙂

Brilliant news @merrymunky, I had been wondering how you were doing.

Have a lovely Christmas.

Lovely news @merrymunky
I hope that you enjoy the last straight.

Well we have our induction date. I’m terrified now. I wish I could shake the fear that something horrible is going to happen but I can’t. I’m just ten times more anxious this time around.

37 weeks and officially full term tomorrow. Induction set for 8th Feb…one week away. Gah!

Today’s bump pic! 33B038DD-63B5-4F72-A571-D7CC28A9E122.jpeg

Ooh! So looking forward to the next pictures..... Not that your bump pictures aren't cute of course! 🙄
Wishing you lots and lots of luck, although I am sure you won't need it. Aren't second births usually easier..... Not that I know anything at all about it personally, but wanting to send you very best wishes and great big (((HUGS)))

I think it’s normal to feel anxious @merrymunky Whether women had a previous easy birth or a difficult birth doesn’t always affect how anxious you can be. It’s a perfectly normal ‘heightened emotions’ thing, I think.

Now you have your induction date, try to focus on organisation. Check your bag, check your birth plan. Concentrate on music, massage oils, etc. Maybe listen to some of those hypnobirth meditations which concentrate on calmness and remind you of women’s strength. Remember you’ve had great care during your pregnancy and you’ll have great care during the induction and birth.

Sending you love and best wishes xx

hoping everything goes smoothly. Looking forward to a seeing the baby pics.

Ooh! So looking forward to the next pictures..... Not that your bump pictures aren't cute of course! 🙄
Wishing you lots and lots of luck, although I am sure you won't need it. Aren't second births usually easier..... Not that I know anything at all about it personally, but wanting to send you very best wishes and great big (((HUGS)))
You say that but I was a second child myself and nearly killed my mum! She was very overdue (gynaecologist fault!) and went into full eclamptic fit and haemorrhaged. I was yanked out with forceps and she was unconscious for three days after!

I really hope it’s smoother this time as Eris was not easy and was a failed epidural, episiotomy and emergency forceps delivery herself.

Oh dear! I guess that will all be playing on your mind then and totally understandable that you would be very anxious. Really sorry that my comment was less than helpful in your situation. I guess really focusing on relaxation and meditation as @Inka suggests will be all the more important. Hope the coming week passes quickly for you and you have a much less traumatic time with this little one.

Hope all goes smoothly. I think with your first there’s a certain amount of naïveté that insulates you from some of the anxiety. You don’t get that with subsequent children. I’m so sorry for your mother’s experience. That sounds horrific and it will no doubt play into your worries but this being number 2 has no bearing on how you will labour in relation to how your mum did. I hope you have lots of great support through the birth and can’t wait to see your little one skin side.

You say that but I was a second child myself and nearly killed my mum! She was very overdue (gynaecologist fault!) and went into full eclamptic fit and haemorrhaged. I was yanked out with forceps and she was unconscious for three days after!

I really hope it’s smoother this time as Eris was not easy and was a failed epidural, episiotomy and emergency forceps delivery herself.

Sorry your mum had such a bad experience. At least you know you won’t be overdue and that you’ve been closely monitored and have everything planned regarding the induction.

There’s nothing to suggest your experience with Eris will be repeated. If it’s any comfort, one of my deliveries was very stressful, yet the one after that had none of the issues of the previous one despite it being classed as higher risk. Everything went much more smoothly.

I really found the hypnobirth stuff relaxing, along with a special labour massage oil, keeping moving, etc. Doing all these little things helps you feel in control. Being relaxed will help you. Also, the notes from your previous pregnancy and your own experience will help a lot too. For example, I knew I’d probably have to have my waters broken because I appear to have the world’s toughest membranes!

In my birth plan, I tried to cover every possibility and wrote my preferences for every situation, eg I wrote something about ‘no forceps unless no choice, please use ventouse if baby needs assistance’. You can write what you like. I divided mine into sections and bullet-pointed it. It wasn’t long but it was just what I wanted, and the midwives followed it exactly without any input from me. That way I felt organised and it took away me having to think about it or explain during labour. I also wrote that I wanted an active birth so they used a special induction drip thing that allowed me to move around a lot and not feel tethered by it.

These later days of pregnancy are always a worrying time. It’s normal. I’m sure our bodies/brains make us worry as a little nudge to get organised and ready!

Oh dear! I guess that will all be playing on your mind then and totally understandable that you would be very anxious. Really sorry that my comment was less than helpful in your situation. I guess really focusing on relaxation and meditation as @Inka suggests will be all the more important. Hope the coming week passes quickly for you and you have a much less traumatic time with this little one.
Oh don’t apologise! No harm done honestly

I’m sure as long as this boy has his head straight down and not at a silly angle like Eris has then we may be able to avoid assisted delivery this time!

Sorry your mum had such a bad experience. At least you know you won’t be overdue and that you’ve been closely monitored and have everything planned regarding the induction.

There’s nothing to suggest your experience with Eris will be repeated. If it’s any comfort, one of my deliveries was very stressful, yet the one after that had none of the issues of the previous one despite it being classed as higher risk. Everything went much more smoothly.

I really found the hypnobirth stuff relaxing, along with a special labour massage oil, keeping moving, etc. Doing all these little things helps you feel in control. Being relaxed will help you. Also, the notes from your previous pregnancy and your own experience will help a lot too. For example, I knew I’d probably have to have my waters broken because I appear to have the world’s toughest membranes!

In my birth plan, I tried to cover every possibility and wrote my preferences for every situation, eg I wrote something about ‘no forceps unless no choice, please use ventouse if baby needs assistance’. You can write what you like. I divided mine into sections and bullet-pointed it. It wasn’t long but it was just what I wanted, and the midwives followed it exactly without any input from me. That way I felt organised and it took away me having to think about it or explain during labour. I also wrote that I wanted an active birth so they used a special induction drip thing that allowed me to move around a lot and not feel tethered by it.

These later days of pregnancy are always a worrying time. It’s normal. I’m sure our bodies/brains make us worry as a little nudge to get organised and ready!
My current plan discussed with my midwife is the same as with Eris…get baby out safely! I don’t have a firm plan as such because I know my labour is restrictive. I have to have iv antibiotics for group b strep again as I had to last time so they do not this time as a matter of course. I wasn’t able to get off the bed for the entire labour last time even though I would have preferred to be able to move about freely. Then I had the epidural and that was that. Back labour. Not fun but we got through.

I think I had what they call an ambulatory drip @merrymunky I might have got that name wrong, but it was something like that. Obviously, an epidural will limit movement (I didn’t have one) but I found the special induction drip set-up really helpful. So much so that I forgot it was there on many occasions, unlike my previous labour where it was a pain in the bum.

Yeah, getting baby out safely is the priority for us all 🙂 I see birth plans as just answering possible queries ahead of time, and setting out preferences for things where preferences can be set, always with baby and us as a priority. Perhaps they should have a more accurate name!

Everything crossed for you @merrymunky

If it’s any reassurance, Jane found birth no.2 far far easier than birth no.1 (40hours of contractions and ventouse in the end).

Hope it all goes really smoothly for you. Good luck!!

Hi,

My first daughter was also born with group b strep, back then (24 years ago) it was very under studied. She was in special care desperately poorly. Luckily one of the doctors recognised the symptoms and she got better quite quickly after that. My other 3 children were all footling breach so we’re all c section, they still put me on the Iv drip as I tested positive for GBS with all my subsequent pregnancies, however there wasn’t much threat to these children as they aren't travelling down the birth canal lol. I was quite surprised they don’t routinely test pregnant women anymore for GBS, my daughter is 35 weeks and the midwife said it’s something they don’t really do anymore. I wish you all the luck in the world… i would love to see a photo of your new arrival, it will be followed up by one of mine xx

Hi,

My first daughter was also born with group b strep, back then (24 years ago) it was very under studied. She was in special care desperately poorly. Luckily one of the doctors recognised the symptoms and she got better quite quickly after that. My other 3 children were all footling breach so we’re all c section, they still put me on the Iv drip as I tested positive for GBS with all my subsequent pregnancies, however there wasn’t much threat to these children as they aren't travelling down the birth canal lol. I was quite surprised they don’t routinely test pregnant women anymore for GBS, my daughter is 35 weeks and the midwife said it’s something they don’t really do anymore. I wish you all the luck in the world… i would love to see a photo of your new arrival, it will be followed up by one of mine xx
It’s because it’s a transient infection and can be present or vanish at any point so they can’t always catch it. It was found as part of other tests in my pregnancy with Eris. Otherwise I wouldn’t have known about it. The drip is fine though (although they butchered my arm last time and the second dose ended up stuck in the top of my arm like a giant popeye muscle because the needle moved in my arm! they had to massage it all thoroughly to get the fluid to move!)

I didn't have diabetes (diagnosed - there's some suspicion that I did actually have GD both times but GTT was normal when checked in second pregnancy) but I had a much better birth the second time around. First one they stuck me on a bed due to monitoring and let me roll to my side but not move much, 40 hour labour, episiotomy & forceps (and baby's head not quite straight but they didn't realise that until birth!). Second induced for dates by scan, and different hospital but I went in saying I wanted an active labour, and they said good we want you to have that and gave me a birth ball to sit on with the IV drip and the monitors attached to me. The cervix had started to change compared to the previous 2 MW appointments so I think maybe I wasn't that far off going in labour anyway, but they went back on the trace to try to set my official start of active labour earlier as it was within 15-20 minutes of them checking cervix and seeing I was 5-6cm. (They had checked as they wanted to put a scalp electrode in as the monitors weren't picking up the heartbeat so well. They also asked me to get on the bed at that point but set it up so I could get in my preferred position of kneeling rather than trying to make me lie down).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back