Very unsure about this 5th Covid Vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanGoku28

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had 4 vaccines so far, 3 before I was type 1 diabetic and the 4th vaccine in December 2 months after I was diagnosed.

I just got a message from the NHS app saying to book the 5th vaccine. I have been told by my Dad to use extra precaution because he doesn't think I should have this 5th vaccine.

The 4th vaccine I had last December it made feel really rough. I had to call in sick for 2 days.
Does anyone know if this is a good idea to have the 5th vaccine. I'm 36 years old, young and fit but is it really necessary to have the 5th vaccine by people's experience.

"Necessary"? Surely not: the first three doses we've all (I hope) had are still a good protection against serious illness and death. Extra doses (for most of us) are mostly about providing a bit more protection for a few months, so they reduce the chances of more minor sickness for a couple of months. (And possibly reduce the chance of long covid from such infections.)

Still worth having, I think (illness of any kind isn't fun, especially with diabetes), but not critical in the way that the first three doses are. (People more vulnerable because of age or other factors should probably consider this dose as more important.)

I had 4 vaccines so far, 3 before I was type 1 diabetic and the 4th vaccine in December 2 months after I was diagnosed.

I just got a message from the NHS app saying to book the 5th vaccine. I have been told by my Dad to use extra precaution because he doesn't think I should have this 5th vaccine.

The 4th vaccine I had last December it made feel really rough. I had to call in sick for 2 days.
Does anyone know if this is a good idea to have the 5th vaccine. I'm 36 years old, young and fit but is it really necessary to have the 5th vaccine by people's experience.
That you feel ill after having had the vaccine shouldn't stop you having it. I always feel a bit off afterwards but wouldn't want to get Covid

You’ll get as many answers as replies.

Is your dad a virologist? Immunologist? Endocrinologist? Medical in any way? Those are the views I’m considering rather than the average Joe on the high street or politicians.

Having been hospitalised (not icu) last year with covid in my early 50’s and the only red flag factor was my well managed/in remission type 2 I was extremely grateful to have had 3 jabs prior to this to help avoid it being even worse. A year on and I’m still not back to where I was. In fact I am probably at greater risk than I was then as a result. Long covid is cumulative, I’m less fit and my control isn’t as good meaning I’ve gained weight.

I had the 4th jab 3 months after that infection for last winter and at this point intend to get the 5th - even if the boost just sees me through the worst of the incoming winter spike

Only you can decide.
As far as I know, there is no reason why the jab should be any better/worse than previous ones.
In my experience, diabetes has not made a difference to the reaction to the vaccine - my non-diabetic partner had far worse reaction to the jabs than I did.
I have heard that different people react differently to the different vaccines. It may have been that you had the Astra Zeneca for the first 3 jabs and then Moderna for the 4th.
My understanding (although I am definitely not a virologist) is that the immunity from a covid virus (including a common cold) does not last long which is why we get further boosters. I would not expect to still have much immunity left from a Covid vaccine given a year ago.
There has been a lot of press coverage about the latest prevalent variant. Any illness makes diabetes harder to manage so I too have my jab booked for start of October.

Whereas I’d rather do one jab at a time. Let my body deal with one thing at a time and be able to identify what (if anything) causes an issue. I know for some people it’s more convenient to do them together but I’d rather make two trips.

I have both jabs booked in the same appointment for 30th September. We should all do our bit to reduce risk of serious winter illness, it’s not a time when you want to have to find a bed in the hospital.

I too have both jabs at the same time.
I have done so for the last two years and had them both in the same arm to avoid my Libre.
Thankfully, my reaction to them has been minimal so I have no concern about doing the same this year … plus it is the only option my surgery is offering,

Only you can decide.
As far as I know, there is no reason why the jab should be any better/worse than previous ones.
In my experience, diabetes has not made a difference to the reaction to the vaccine - my non-diabetic partner had far worse reaction to the jabs than I did.
I have heard that different people react differently to the different vaccines. It may have been that you had the Astra Zeneca for the first 3 jabs and then Moderna for the 4th.
My understanding (although I am definitely not a virologist) is that the immunity from a covid virus (including a common cold) does not last long which is why we get further boosters. I would not expect to still have much immunity left from a Covid vaccine given a year ago.
There has been a lot of press coverage about the latest prevalent variant. Any illness makes diabetes harder to manage so I too have my jab booked for start of October.
Yeah sorry I didn't mention what type of jabs I had. I had 4 Pfizers.

I have both jabs booked in the same appointment for 30th September. We should all do our bit to reduce risk of serious winter illness, it’s not a time when you want to have to find a bed in the hospital.
Yeah your right.

I too have both jabs at the same time.
I have done so for the last two years and had them both in the same arm to avoid my Libre.
Thankfully, my reaction to them has been minimal so I have no concern about doing the same this year … plus it is the only option my surgery is offering,
My surgery isn’t doing any covid ones at all this year and it’s a large group practice with about half a dozen locations! So I have to go to two places anyway it seems.

Last edited:
My surgery isn’t doing any at all this year and it’s a large group practice with about half a dozen locations! So I have to go to two places anyway it seems.
I guess that is what I did for the first 3 jabs. i had trips around town (and one of the nearby villages) for my jabs.
But since it has only been “higher risk” people getting the jab, my surgery has called me in.

I didn't get invited for the spring booster , so doubt I'll get invited for the autumn one .
May bring it up with my dsn when I have my annual check in 2 weeks time

I’ll be having mine. Got sent the link to book a slot yesterday.

I guess that is what I did for the first 3 jabs. i had trips around town (and one of the nearby villages) for my jabs.
But since it has only been “higher risk” people getting the jab, my surgery has called me in.
Maybe mine don’t have enough higher risk or old people to justify doing it (very unlikely) as they are doing the flu jabs. They just told me to book the covid one elsewhere. There’s only a handful of places doing covid jabs, the closest 4miles away. There’s appointment available so it looks enough places but for a non driver it would be a pita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back