The Pumpers Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As on the other children's forum someone mentioned this site for holding insulin pumps:

http://www.spibelt.com/spibelt.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8MHED1tj5Y

It holds the pump and supposedly doesn't bump up and down when running etc...We have a right problem with Rs pump pouches at school, whenever she's running around the playground or jumping etc...they keep flying up and down which she's not happy with. Even if she's just clipped the pump on her trousers it will keep flying off :(

Anyway, have ordered too so fingers crossed they work. It's free shipping at the moment as well.

Thread Burn!!!

I'm feeling the burn here people, Ive just read 3 pages and YES I have taken notes!

I am also admist a extremely distressing dual wave. I have just had 40% of an inital cracking strop and I shall have 60% of a bloody square bad mood over the next 5 hours....know what I mean? 😱 I debated the dual for so long my dinner went cold. I quite often find myself in this dilema. Then I decided I wanted to cancel it, bolus the lot and go CONTROVERCIAL and temp basal instead but got completely baffled how much insulin I'd already given. Blimey O Reilly!

On that note Patricia, I think your suggestion of the pasta dual was excellent at approx 150% of the basal! I would be really interested in your stats following that and to know the grams etc. I would be temped to go over the 8hours and not the 6 but Im not able to back that up with anything sound 🙂confused🙂 I love your perserverance!

I was wondering, as I know we have all got different bumph, if anyone had the "how to test your basal" tables? It popped in my mind when Mand was saying about not establishing patterns at the mo and not doing 3 am at the mo. I have these test sheets with 4 hours blacked out for carb free and when to test on it if anyone wants them. It just shows you what hours to do. Not the most exciting read (zzzzZZZZ) but a good test. PM me and I can scan and email if anyone wants them.

Bev I am so impressed on your first night numbers. I also hypo'ed 2 point something in my first 24 hours and I think mental stress and a bit of excitement also had something to do with it. You are doing well. How is the monkey case fairing up now its in use?! I have found myself in the habadashary dept of john lewis yesterday buying myself elastic and velcroe, what have you started? :D I will post my results!

Just a quick one about a weird thing that happened to me today. At 6am when I got up I checked my BM (washed hands of course) and BM 26.0mmols 😱 instant disbelief and rechecked again 12.1 (which is now still high to start in the morning with now. Corrected from the 12.1 but annoyed. That is the second time the contour has thrown a wrong number at me this week. The other thing is the pump picks up the reading and that will muck me over on carelink on my averages and gets right on my nerves. I dont like having an unreliable metre, obviously, makes me nervous. Any suggestions? Perhaps I should get on the blower and get some test solution, although Ive only had the meter under 2 months.

How has the day been Bev?

Ive eaten 100gms of carbs in one sitting and feel like I need to hand myself into the police. Just incase my DSN has tapped into this- ITS YOU WHO DOES THAT TO ME! And you know it!

Right, Im outa here!
Lots of love xx

Lou, great to hear from you! You had me smiling as always! 🙂

We have not even been taught bolus wizard yet so not used it so unable to give you any advice re your experience. Gosh, it does sound a little complicated! Keep going, my friend and hopefully you will get it cracked!

As for your meter, it does sound a bit dodgy! I would get that sorted, especially as you had washed your hands but got a wrong reading of 24! We chose not to use the montitor that came with the pump as we happy with the one he uses and the only advantage was that the new pump would talk to the pump but i can see that has drawbacks! Definately recommened you order some test solution. We test ours every month (and the spare monitor).

On that note, i would urge everyone to test their monitors regularly because i know of someone who was getting perfect blood sugars for several months but was feeling unwell and losing weight. When she went for her hba1c it was very high! To cut a long story short, her monitor was not working properly and only giving a small range of incorrect readings! Scary!

Lou, how are you getting on with the Carelink? I managed to get mine up and running, thought it was very clever how the pump 'talks' to the usb stick but i cannot make heads nor tails of the info! Perhaps i need to go through it with his dsn!!

Do let us see the results of your needlework! I think Bev has started a new craze! :D

Talking of Bev, how are you and A doing? How was last night?

Mand x

Lou, thank god for your post this morning! Has made me smile a great deal, and with our recent dual wave disasters (yes, one two nights ago matched by last night's total wipe out...), my heart is with you on this one.

Argh! Is it worth it?!!!! Answer: yes, has to be. Refuse to go through life not having pasta or rice. Just refuse.

Will return to fill in details later -- house needs hoovering before guests and meanwhile the cat has produced a hairball by the front door AND managed to step on a wet watercolour painting...things to do, therefore.

Last night we tried the 30% up front, 70% over an 8 hour dual wave. Suffice to say all looked quite good to 4 hours, then at 6 hours was 18! Did not correct, thinking this is a learning experience, aha the spike is at 6 hours, how fascinating...Then at 8 hours still 18! Crumbs. Corrected. One hour later (insulin resistant, clearly, just like two nights ago with the STICKY BUN extravaganza), was still at 19! ACK ACK ACK. Corrected again, of course, and then one hour after was down to 10mmols. Two hours after that he woke on 3.8, feeling pretty rough. Meanwhile we've had virtually no sleep. And have a hospital appt today with the most awful numbers and weird hypos...Want to lie down and die. So embarrassing.

We're TRYING to get it right. Worst thing is, we are with a WONDERFUL hospital. BUT we know we are beyond their expertise with this. They will not suggest anything we haven't thought of, we suspect. It's all trial and error. And each trial means an all-night party.

ARGH.

Sugarbum, I'm also going to take a leaf from your book and jump onto some US pumping forums when I get the chance. Suspect experiences there will be more helpful.

So what this means so far (too muzzy to really know yet) is that we ended up running about a 200% basal for the whole 8 hours, and the spike was still out of control. We have learned that the major spike occurs way later than we thought, anyway...at six hours he still needs a lot of insulin...

So first thought is we might try 20% up front, followed by 80% over six/eight hours. Any takers?

Crumbs. Time to hoover. And I've given detail anyway. Sorry.

Hey, what's this with the needlework? What have I missed?

xxoo

Morning Lou, hope you are well, you do make me laugh!!

Wanted to ask if it is hard/easy to get used to having the pump attached 24/7

At the moment thats the one thing that im thinking about the most, my life will never be the same again 🙄

but I know in my heart it will be so worth it. after reading all these posts it seems so hard to ge the numbers right, like starting again eh?

Howdy Tracey

Completely understand nerves around all this -- and can only say something from my parent point of view, Lou better placed of course! E has never been bothered by the pump in anyway that he expresses. Only difficulty was going swimming, which he has now got over completely. Anyway the set looks like a plaster really...

The other thing is that there is nothing stopping you going back to MDI if the pump bothers you! Not as far as I know, anyway.

Finally, I think that numbers for certain things are hard...But I suspect that adult pumping is generally more straightforward, certainly for 'easy' food and straightforward days. Even we dealing with teenage hormones have managed to get the basal and straightforward dosing sorted pretty well quickly. It's the hard stuff we are struggling with -- pasta, pizza, rice and chips...

Also, the pump is so flexible and responsive that I'm afraid it does become a bit of a lure to constant fiddling...We always want to get it 'right', plus my son's needs are constantly on the move. I suspect that it's a little more stable for an adult?

I don't know if you read about how starting on a pump can be for some people like being diagnosed again...And I hear a little of that in your voice maybe? Completely with you!

Take care.

Update : really tired!:(

Levels through the night are increasing from 4am onwards - so we are going to increase the basal for those few hours - how brilliant is that? On mdi we were just stuck with whatever we had injected the night before!
The dsn has told us to do this - but she hasnt told us what time to do it from? I am thinking that we should change it at 3 - so it will have an effect by 4 etc? What are anyones thoughts on this?

Also, we had a slight trauma this morning. Just before leaving the house for a day out i decided to just check the canula site - i found there was some blood in the housing part. Rang dsn who said if his numbers werent high then probably ok to leave until tomorrow to change set.
So then decided to do bg level and he was 19!!!!!!Checked for ketones - none. Phew. So decided to do set change earlier than expected. Took canula out and a big droplet of blood followed together with what i think was a drop of insulin! So quickly changed set and then tested - he was 22!!!!!!!!!

So we have learnt that we need to check site before we leave the house - and that we need to be fairly quick doing set change as levels will increase even in that short space of time!

I spoke to Adrienne who said that some children can only take 2 days of set being in - others can take 3 - so maybe A can only take 2? The canula wasnt bent or anything - so not quite sure what had happened. Felt a bit nervous doing the set change as i did the first one in hospital with advice etc!

Great tip off Adrienne, she said that lots of childrens levels rise with a set change - dont know why - but she suggested putting a temp basal on for a couple of hours of 150% to help counteract the high. Will have to remember that if it happens again.🙂

Really looking forward to playing with dual waves etc - cant wait! Hope your all ok.🙂Bev

Howdy Tracey

Completely understand nerves around all this -- and can only say something from my parent point of view, Lou better placed of course! E has never been bothered by the pump in anyway that he expresses. Only difficulty was going swimming, which he has now got over completely. Anyway the set looks like a plaster really...

The other thing is that there is nothing stopping you going back to MDI if the pump bothers you! Not as far as I know, anyway.

Finally, I think that numbers for certain things are hard...But I suspect that adult pumping is generally more straightforward, certainly for 'easy' food and straightforward days. Even we dealing with teenage hormones have managed to get the basal and straightforward dosing sorted pretty well quickly. It's the hard stuff we are struggling with -- pasta, pizza, rice and chips...

Also, the pump is so flexible and responsive that I'm afraid it does become a bit of a lure to constant fiddling...We always want to get it 'right', plus my son's needs are constantly on the move. I suspect that it's a little more stable for an adult?

I don't know if you read about how starting on a pump can be for some people like being diagnosed again...And I hear a little of that in your voice maybe? Completely with you!

Take care.

thank you, im a mixture of excited and aprehensive 🙂

Hi Bev ...

Just wanted to say how amazing you are doing ... :D

As peeps know I've only a little knowledge on the use of pumps ... but must say thank you to all who post on here ... I'm learning so much from you all .. 🙂
Glad you and A are ok .

Heidi
xx🙂

Bev, I so understand your tiredness. I have been getting up at 3am since July 7th and was so shattered that i taking some time off, providing he goes to bed on a good level and wakes up on a good level.

In a wierd kinda way you do get used to getting up but it certainly takes its toll!

Scary experiences are all part of the learning curve - as i have learned! if things go too smoothly then you will never be prepared for the dramas so i try to see the dramas as education that hopefully you can avoid repeating.

But it is SSSSSSSOOOOOO exhausting trying to be one step ahead and preparing for every eventuality!

You are doing a great job Bev. A word of advice, do not strive for perfection. I have had to learn this lesson. Diabetes just does not lend itself to perfection which is something i struggle with. My sons dsn knows i am a bit of a perfectionist and works with me to come to a compromise between the reality of diabetes and my high expectations. Sigh!

xx 🙂 xx

Update : really tired!:(

Levels through the night are increasing from 4am onwards - so we are going to increase the basal for those few hours - how brilliant is that? On mdi we were just stuck with whatever we had injected the night before!
The dsn has told us to do this - but she hasnt told us what time to do it from? I am thinking that we should change it at 3 - so it will have an effect by 4 etc? What are anyones thoughts on this?

I spoke to Adrienne who said that some children can only take 2 days of set being in - others can take 3 - so maybe A can only take 2? The canula wasnt bent or anything - so not quite sure what had happened. Felt a bit nervous doing the set change as i did the first one in hospital with advice etc!

Great tip off Adrienne, she said that lots of childrens levels rise with a set change - dont know why - but she suggested putting a temp basal on for a couple of hours of 150% to help counteract the high. Will have to remember that if it happens again.🙂

Bev

Bev, it sounds like you're doing a fab job! Well done, the first few weeks of pumping are tough but just think how far you've come.

With regards to the basal adjustment, what were you told about how long the new basal change will have affect? We were told 1-2 hours but we have worked out for R that it takes 2 hours so for us if R was rising around 4am we would change the basal at 2am....It's all trial and error.....

R's set stays in for 3 days, did A bang it or anything? We sometimes have to do a quick set change of R has bashed her's as blood starts to appear in the set. Once, when the set was in her buttocks she fell over right on her bum and we could see we needed to do a change....

LOL! R i know is in the minority, she has hypos after set change, we have to change the fixed prime from 0.3 units to 0.1 or 0.2 units. Maybe you could increase the fixed prime instead of temps? Just a thought...

You're doing a grand job 🙂

Hello pumpers!

Wanabee pumper here, hope you don't mind me tresspassing!😉 I'm finding this whole thread so interesting.

Hoping someone might be able to offer me some tips. I have my next review at the hospital coming up and am planning launch my bid for a pump. Now I know the NICE guidelines are a guide as opposed to hard and fast rule but it's unlikely (fingers crossed) that my a1c is going to come into the guidelines. However I think I may be eligible on the hypos issue. I regularly go through periods when I have hypo after hypo that seem to come from nowhere, for example this week I've had 8 since Monday. These often come from nowhere and do have an big affect on my day to day life for example through lack of sleep, can't do exercise, weight gain from treating them etc. I've never had a hypo that I haven't been able to treat myself though so I suppose what I'm asking is have any of you got a pump on the basis of having hypos and if so how did you find 'disabling' was defined. Really any tips you think might strengthen my case. At the moment I'm doing lots of research to make sure I'm totally clued up before I go. I also aim to make contact with Input if necessary once I've spoken to the consultant. There are two consultants I may get when I go and a really think my success is going to depend on which I get...😱

Hi Aymes,
It was the chap from INPUT - John Davis - who gave me the amunition i needed to get a pump for A. He is brilliant and if he cant get you a pump - then no-one can! I would strongly recommend you contact him BEFORE your appointment - he will have the right information for you and the right way of saying it! Childrens guidelines are different from adults - but John knows about the adults side just as much. I think there is a phone number on the site - if not send an email - thats what i did. Also have to say the CWD list helped me a lot too. Good luck and let us know what happens. I think you would love the pump - A loves it already - even though we have had a very eventful evening - but i will post that tomorrow - i am soooooooooo tired -but waiting up until the first check at 12 - then 3 then 7am..........yawn......hooray for Adrienne..........she saved the day.............🙂Bev

Hello pumpers!

Wanabee pumper here, hope you don't mind me tresspassing!😉 I'm finding this whole thread so interesting.

Hoping someone might be able to offer me some tips. I have my next review at the hospital coming up and am planning launch my bid for a pump. Now I know the NICE guidelines are a guide as opposed to hard and fast rule but it's unlikely (fingers crossed) that my a1c is going to come into the guidelines. However I think I may be eligible on the hypos issue. I regularly go through periods when I have hypo after hypo that seem to come from nowhere, for example this week I've had 8 since Monday. These often come from nowhere and do have an big affect on my day to day life for example through lack of sleep, can't do exercise, weight gain from treating them etc. I've never had a hypo that I haven't been able to treat myself though so I suppose what I'm asking is have any of you got a pump on the basis of having hypos and if so how did you find 'disabling' was defined. Really any tips you think might strengthen my case. At the moment I'm doing lots of research to make sure I'm totally clued up before I go. I also aim to make contact with Input if necessary once I've spoken to the consultant. There are two consultants I may get when I go and a really think my success is going to depend on which I get...😱

Hi aymes, in my experience i do agree it totally depends on the consultant! Mine is great and could totally see how a pump would help me and my lifestyle, he could see my motivation and understanding of the pump and what it could do for me. when i applied my hba1c was above 8, then came below, i was told by nurse that dafne was a success and therefore didnt fit the criterea. Luckily the consultant was still totally for the pump and i showed him my diary and examples of my hypos, not disabling in the fact i cant treat myself, however some i dont feel until below 3, and on some occasions take a while to come back up from them. I told him how scary that was for me and that it was affecting my life in that i was worried when they woud happen and so when im at work will make myslef high as scared of being low. Sorry to waffle, just wanted to say put your case forward, i know you will have everything documented etc. Really hope you have an understanding consultant, fingers crossed for you.

Hi Aymes

I cannot add anything to what the others have already said, but i just want to wish you good luck with your request for a pump.

I can understand that they are not for everyone, but for my son the pump has improved the quality of his day to day life and also is helping his long term health as his levels are so much better on it.

Do keep us posted on your progress. 🙂

Hello everyone

Aymes, wishing you luck with your request -- it sounds like you have a good case, but I know very little really. The chap Bev suggests is apparently wonderful, and it's not like you don't have something to work with, you do. And remember that if the consultant says it has to happen, the local authority can't refuse it.

Bev, you are doing SO WELL. From now on out for a good while, you will meet situation after situation that is new, and the most exhausting thing is dealing with a new thing time and again. But you're using your resources in all ways, and getting great results -- already! Wonderful.

We were told an hour lead-in for a change in basal to have effect. In practice we think it's more like 45 mins for us.

On another note, had another good hospital visit yesterday. They didn't do HbA1c -- only 6 weeks since last, but looked at his spreadsheets and thought things looked marvelous, we were using the pump intensively as intended, and achieving great results. Consultant said that maybe one or two teenagers in their care would be achieving the numbers E is, SO he was very keen that E now learn to relax a little. Took a few mins to say exactly what Mand said a couple of posts ago: watch the urge for perfection. This is something I need to listen to as well. Got the DCCA (can't remember if this is the exact acronym) graph out and showed how a reduction from 9% to 8% is very significant for long-term risks, and that a reduction from 8% to 7.5% is fairly significant, that 7%-7.5% is a small but probably worthwhile reduction in risks, but that below 7%, certainly below 6.5%, the graph is practically flat.

I've seen these figures before of course, but I think the consultant's point was that striving for the tightest control possible is counter-productive, that quality of life etc must enter into it. And he was keen to make E look at quality of life. Which has actually been good for him, I think, but the consultant rightly intuits that E is an achiever, and ambitious, and a perfectionist in some ways, wanting to get things 'right' (where does he get that from I wonder?), and is heading him off at the pass. A good doctor.

Other useful thoughts:

1) the erratic rise and/or fall between 7-9am is down to growth hormones as we thought, and it is usually quite unpredictable. No kidding. So yes it will sometimes rise and sometimes fall, and that's that. We just have to react to the situation as it is, and don't expect the basal to be able to tackle it in detail.

2) We are going to get the use of a CGM for at least a week to try pasta lots of times, to see if we can track it all through without this getting up every hour on the hour business...As suspected, no suggestions for regimes here, but a 'you're doing well, keep going' thing.

3) At our request, the consultant had a quiet talk with E about his developing fear of night hypos. E is afraid he will die in the night, because he has never woken up from a low number, rather we have found it in our system of checks. The doctor spoke of the likelihood, his own experience, and what would happen if a low did occur for a while. He said he could only talk in terms of probabilities, and that what is most likely to happen if he were low is that he need the help of someone else, eg his parents or a friend or partner. And that this is the way it was. These are hard things to know, for us and for him, of course. We are coming around to the truth that E can go very low sometimes, lower than would be expected from the situation, though apparently with no ill effects eg little muddling or stress...This is particularly true of the low numbers, strangely. So the doctor also said that if this at all becomes a pattern, then CGM may be necessary for him to stay safe. So. We'll see.

So at the end of the day: we fervently hope and believe that an effective loop system will be available soon. My gut says E will not really rest well (not to speak of us) until this time. Perhaps even before he goes to college, in five years?

Finally: normal meal last night, and all slept LIKE LOGS. E on 12mmols this morning, after going to bed on 7.5mmol. Sigh. Time to look at that nighttime basal AGAIN! Had thought it was sorted for a while. But NO point in messing with dual waves when night basal is not secure.

Over and out!

Thinking about everyone: always good to hear from you.

xxoo

Forgot to say something about the set change -- that's a bit rough, Bev! Heavens. I guess another thing to consider eventually is whether another type of cannula would be better for Alex?

Hi there pumpers hope you dont mind the post x
Just wanted to say Aymes good luck with your quest for a pump I wish you the best of luck ,Id like to say while in here, everyday i follow this thread i dont post i just scan through and I must say i commend each and everyone of you either if your on a pump or your child is on a pump , it must be a struggle at times and i dont have a inch of a clue what it is like but you all do a sterling job .Im so pleased and proud I am included in the forum where you lovely people post you're all amazing people xx

Oh Steff, what lovely words! It is great to have non pumpers read/post on this thread too! x

Patricia, glad hospital app went well. You are doing sssssooooo well. That is great that you are going to get cgm while you sort out the pasta. Will be interested to read your results.

Oh it makes me so sad to know that E worries about dying in the night. I hope it is a phase that passes and that his confidence grows in time. But it is a hard thing to get to grips with, I know.

Glad i not the only perfectionist! I am learning to be less so. I think i have a much better balance now between keeping his levels good and him having a good quality, normal as possible life. But it takes some practise!

The hard thing about being a carer, rather than the person with diabetes, is the responsibility. I feel i can't take my eye of the ball because he could suffer, not me. I can't really explain what i mean but maybe you do understand anyway.

Anyway, we are doing fine at the moment so nothing to report. Still not been taught bolus wizard but getting good numbers anyway. Having said that, i do avoid certain foods eg pizza, so i guess we need to learn it soon.

How's it going Bev? Thinking of you both. x 🙂

Set change

We did a set change yesterday. When my son removed the old cannula he was left with the usual round circle marks but also there were two pin head sized blisters. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I presume they will just disperse. I will have a look when he wakes up this morning.

Usually the set changes go well but he does not like doing them. Yesterdays was not good because he was tired (been to a sleepover the night before and got very little sleep!). He was hesitant pressing the quickserter so it didnt work properley and we had to re-do. At this point he got upset and the problem is that when this happens he loses his nerve a little. Anyway the second attempt did not work either and he ended up just sitting down and sobbing. (Just when you think your heart can't break anymore, it does!).

We allowed him to eat his tea without the pump on to give him time to calm down. Which he did. After eating he tried again and all went well. Phew.

Apart from that, all still going well. Running a bit low too often during last few days so need to keep an eye on this.

I am enjoying my break from the 3am alarm! 🙂 But when he returns to school will need to start again for a while as we need to see how the school routine affects him. :(

How is everyone doing? 🙂 xx 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back