The Pumpers Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAHAHA Adrienne we cross posted 🙂 🙂

That is cos we are fab together and great minds think a like.

Thanks for your help this afternoon. I was with a mum who has girl diagnosed in June who is still on bloody two injections a day and being told by our crap team that numbers predominantly in the 20's is ok !!!!!!! She had never heard of ketone monitors and was having to go to school on a daily basis when they rang to test the girls urine.

She is begging for MDI and finally they are supposed to be sending a retired nurse to see her this week ! Retired nurse, they are really pulling the stops out here.

That is cos we are fab together and great minds think a like.

Thanks for your help this afternoon. I was with a mum who has girl diagnosed in June who is still on bloody two injections a day and being told by our crap team that numbers predominantly in the 20's is ok !!!!!!! She had never heard of ketone monitors and was having to go to school on a daily basis when they rang to test the girls urine.

She is begging for MDI and finally they are supposed to be sending a retired nurse to see her this week ! Retired nurse, they are really pulling the stops out here.

Oh god! :( That's ok, was on a school trip to the local museum with Rose. Couldn't think at first, had to get it out to look 🙂

Hi Bev, do you put Cavilon spray on before you put the set on? Also, we put tee tree cream on a site when it comes off 🙂

Do you use any adhesive remover to get the set off? We use lift plus sachets, wipe on the sticky part of the set, wait a few seconds and it peels off easily.....

Hi Becca and Adrienne,
I dont use anything to either put it on or get it off! Havent been advised to - but i will ring them up tomorrow - A says it hurts more taking the canula off than it does putting it in! The site looks like a burn - and i am wondering if he is allergic to the adhesive - i am allergic to the non-allergy stuff - so i am wondering if he takes after me. But if he is - what can we do? Is there any anti-allergy stuff for a canula? Can i buy these things over the counter as i know it will take ages for our dsn to advise the gp?😱Thanks. 🙂Bev

p.s. Have just sent off for a free sample - thanks Adrienne! x

Last edited:
Hi Becca and Adrienne,
I dont use anything to either put it on or get it off! Havent been advised to - but i will ring them up tomorrow - A says it hurts more taking the canula off than it does putting it in! The site looks like a burn - and i am wondering if he is allergic to the adhesive - i am allergic to the non-allergy stuff - so i am wondering if he takes after me. But if he is - what can we do? Is there any anti-allergy stuff for a canula? Can i buy these things over the counter as i know it will take ages for our dsn to advise the gp?😱Thanks. 🙂Bev

Might not be any use (as you say the dsn needs to advise) but I know medtronic do some kind of canula for skin problems/reactions according to my DSN. Perhaps put a call in for advice to medtronic or a free sample or something? Havent seen one- only heard in pump clinic someone is on one who is completely allergic apparently.

Tracey- I am very happy! Great news and it seems as if most of us went hypo on the first day oddly....but still. Great you have joined the pumping world. Do you have the clip yet and your supplies sorted? I know you were worried....

Northener- Ive really let myself go into prison life. What can I say?:D

No word of a lie, I swear to god I just farted and my pump alarm went off! :D What does this mean?🙂

aaarh, he he you are outrageous Lou !:D did it come up with pump fault?😉

Might not be any use (as you say the dsn needs to advise) but I know medtronic do some kind of canula for skin problems/reactions according to my DSN. Perhaps put a call in for advice to medtronic or a free sample or something? Havent seen one- only heard in pump clinic someone is on one who is completely allergic apparently.

Tracey- I am very happy! Great news and it seems as if most of us went hypo on the first day oddly....but still. Great you have joined the pumping world. Do you have the clip yet and your supplies sorted? I know you were worried....

Northener- Ive really let myself go into prison life. What can I say?:D

yes i have clip and all supplies, phoned yesterday and delivered first thing this morning!

Hi Becca and Adrienne,

Cavilon spray in a 28ml bottle is very expensive. It is approx ?11 to ?12 and you can buy it from chemists, I had to once as we had totally run out and I needed it there and then as Jessica comes up to the canulas. However one of the email group can't use it as her sons come up to the cavilon. But I say give it a go.

good thanks, at 10 thought "oh dont have to do lantus injection", super :D

Do you know, I think that never goes away! I used to take mine at 10pm and I think about how lovely it is not to all the time. I used to HATE lantus!

Glad everything is going well xx

Hi everyone

Tracey -glad it going well so far! We thought it fab too when we did not have to do Lantus anymore! Especially if you go out in the eve - you do not need to take the jabs with you and keep watching the clock! Yipeee!!!!
Hope it continue to go good for you! 🙂

Bev - we ordered a sample of liftoff spray.We were sent a small spray can and some wipes My son uses them and it does help. 🙂

Lou - Hilarious! Hope it less windy with you today! :D

Not much to report from me. All going well. Running too low generally at moment since returning to school so need to do a little tweaking.

Encouraging my son to bolus before eating as much as possible. Do you all generally bolus before or after eating? 🙂

OMG 😱

Just thought id share my numbers, after my teatime hypo

2 hourly from teatime, 8.5, 8.6, 8.4, before bed 8.9, this morning 8.8 unbelievable, dont know when i have ever had that. Lets hope it continues 🙂

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great numbers!

Well done and let's hope it continues! 🙂🙂

Great numbers Tracey.

Mand we always try and bolus up front now, the difference it makes is just unbelievable. We used to bolus during or after but changed a month or so ago and it is very very different and so much better. 🙂

Some kind of OCD attempt to impose structure on my post...

Morning all

So much ACTION here!!

First: Tracey, well done! Yay team! Brilliant numbers and wow. The same happened with us. One thing I will say, not to put a damper -- but our team indicated that after the first 24 to 48 hours sometimes things need tweaking much more, because by then all the long-acting is out of your body...so don't worry if things seem to go a little unstable in the next day -- nothing is wrong! 🙂 Such good news though and so pleased for you. Look forward to hearing how things go...

Second: E hasn't come down with anything! He's back at school today. He was droopy yesterday morning, but perked up through the day. He has been doing corrections and on temp basals CONSTANTLY since the weekend...on the other site, it seems that one of the DSNs said that after an event like at the weekend, there can be quite a lot of insulin resistance...My money is on that. The numbers without correction are coming in 12-17 ish, which is WAY higher than usual. So we are correcting and temp basaling...hopefully it will end soon. Either that or something about the whole thing has precipitated a leap in insulin needs, and we just change his basals permanently!

Third: support. Well Lou, thanks for asking. We've been in touch with both our teams, and they have been sympathetic and we've had hyper treatment protocol discussions etc. Neither mentioned any insulin resistance though, which would have helped 😡 !

Fourth: cannula discussions. Both of our teams have heard of this, and both consider it to be fairly rare, though some have more troubles than others. Both said for us to keep going as is for a while, but that if a switch is necessary, this will be obvious. One team I thought was particularly astute: she said that it's perhaps best for E to come to the decision to change things if there are recurrent problems, rather than for us to weigh in there. Obviously if we have problem after problem we'll all act fast, but her wise thoughts were to always allow E independence where possible, trust him to come to decisions about aspects like this, involving change and his body, wherever possible. I thought this was good advice for dealing with a teenager.

Fifth: more cannula. Re the 9mm vs 6mm, heard from only one team so far. She was the 'wait and see' one, as above, and thought it a possibility. She *did* say though that in her experience most older teens and adults switch to silhouettes. They aren't as aesthetically pleasing in that they use up more area, but they stick out less so that makes up for it a bit. They are, however, easier to see whether you've got it right or wrong...

Sixth: more cannula!!! Both teams thought the fridge idea was a bit useless, I'm afraid. Their view was that the difficulties at insertion were about slight shifts in angle from 90 degrees -- this can make the cannula go in slightly askew, which sets up the possibility of a kink. They couldn't see how refrigeration would help with this. On the other email forum too, there seems to be a difference of experience and opinion: many have been using 6mm sets for years with no difficulties. And one person indicated that with quicksets you can get a 'feel' for whether it's in right or not, and that this improves with time... Certainly with that set and E, it hurt him quite a bit when he stood up -- which is very unusual. He's also become quick and casual with it all, and was also trying to work around the side of his tummy more, so MAY not have had it completely flat?

Seventh: we now no longer use the cavilon OR tea tree, often. Somehow it's all worked out, almost like he's become used to it?! He and I both have the same 'allergic to the non-allergenic' plasters as Bev, and this was one of my unspoken fears about the pump -- that it would turn out to be a miserable experience. However this has not been the case. So I would try not to freak out Bev. Give it some time. In hospital he had an ECG -- and was violently allergic to the stickies, coming up in red welts! They were mega-surprised. I'm not though -- when I had my C-section with him, I had horrible blisters from the bandange. They didn't believe me, and were shocked when they took a look 😱. HOWEVER, the tummy is no doubt quite sensitive, so maybe just try the aids (the spray and the wipes?) and keep going for a bit. As I say, we now often as not use nothing.

Eighth: Adrienne, I am so in admiration of your strength and resolve in all this. And it really couldn't get much more important. Thank you so much for doing this work, for persevering, and for looking after those who don't have access to looking after themselves. It is no doubt thankless and shattering at times...But they clearly need you to fight for them. So well done. I'm staggered and gutted for the families who don't have the care we do. Numbers in the 20's. Imagine how absolutely dreadful the kids feel, their quality of life. They must just think that this is how life feels, and how they will feel forever. It's an uphill battle, being that high, so exhausting and emotional. It's heartbreaking, just unforgivable.

Ninth: Mand, Bev and Adrienne, hope those hypos and highs are beginning to sort! Wearing. I feel for you! We have asked E to stay in touch today, feeling on tenterhooks. At school on a temp basal all day. Eek.

Tenth: Lou, you are killing me. A little later, we should start a 'funny pump' thread, like the 'test strips show up in the strangest places' one ages ago...

Eleventh: I am surrounded by work. Damn. Thanks for all your support!

xxoo

Ninth: Mand, Bev and Adrienne, hope those hypos and highs are beginning to sort! Wearing. I feel for you! We have asked E to stay in touch today, feeling on tenterhooks. At school on a temp basal all day. Eek.

Hiya

We are still having the odd hypo (maybe one a day) and have cut right back on the basals early morning but added to them in the evening. Our fab DSN is brilliant and said this was classic 'going back to school'. Every September they see it, they get loads of phone calls about too many hypos. Figures I guess.

huya everyone, been a bit higher today, to be expected i suppose.

have changed my basal for two hours around breakfast as this is where i spike, so will see what happens with that tomorrow.

Adrienne, glad j been having less hypos,

Quiet on here yesterday...everyone okay?

Glad all well Tracey and glad your team helpful Adrienne -- thank goodness.

This end E's numbers have continued to be on the high end, but overnight it looks like he started to even out at between 3am and 7am. He has been on a temp basal constantly, from 120 to 140%...This morning we have lowered it to 110%, given night numbers. We'll see!

We are starting to approach school issues -- will keep you posted.

Oh yes, and don't know if I've said, but we have SOLVED (for the moment) one type of pasta dosing: pesto pasta or pasta with basically no sauce (bacon olive onion etc), we have got to 20/80 dual wave, 6 hours! Numbers have three times been fabulous with this. Prob is that it's only feasible at lunchtime because of the length of time that checks are necessary... Again, we shall see!

Tonight we are having rice. Gulp.

xxoo

good luck with the rice patricia , how is everyone ? x yes it was quiet in here i have subscribed to this thread and my emails usually choc a block with this but yesterday was not x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back