The 'New on Pump' thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to call this my last post for two weeks or so! All well, but a strange blip last night: went to bed on 7.7, woke up on 2.9 😱.

Been WEEKS since he has woken on anything other than pretty much what he went to bed on (except in instances of weird food like pasta pizza baked pots, none of which he had last night). SO we will test again at 3am this morning and see if something is happening. We do feel that he's generally been a bit lower over the last couple of days...but this is after had a couple of strange leaps the other way recently too!

Sigh! Again, the mess of diabetes. Never stops or lets you rest.

Fortunately, he feels fine this morning so we suspect that it couldn't have been that low for long...Will test things over next days.

OKAY. Haven't heard from Bev or Adrienne here in a while -- nor anyone else except Lou and Mand! is everyone okay? -- but I'm thinking of everyone, and wishing good health and sunny days (well, a few of them) to all.

xxoo 🙂🙂

Hi Patricia!

I AM reading everything you post - also Mand's and Sugarbum's posts. I just dont have a lot to add because obviously i have no experience - but i look on all the pump threads before anything else.🙂 I am finding it all fascinating as all 3 of you seem to be dealing with very different teams and obviously very different 'blips'! Its already taught me so much - so dont stop! I think we will 'allow' you a 2 week break though!😛

I hope you all have a lovely holiday - we are off down south tomorrow for just 1 week whilst A goes on his DUK holiday. I just hope the rain stops for us all and we can all have some well -earned relaxation.:DBev

Thanks Bev -- appreciate it!

Let me know how A's holiday goes (and yours of course)...E wasn't interested this year, but may be another year...

And yes, fingers crossed for decent weather. Grr...

Patricia, i really do think its about what age a child is as to whether they want to go on a DUK type holiday. A is only just 11 - so still very enthusiastic about adventure etc.. But i can imagine when he becomes a teen, i would be met with some resistance! 😉Also, i think because we have been to various events with DUK (weekend) and JDRF - A has sort of just accepted this as part of being diabetic - so doesnt really question whether he should be going or not. I know this wont last - so while he is still open to it all - i will endeavour to take him along to anything thats on offer.🙂

I must admit, i am not looking forward to the teenage years with him - although my two daughters were mostly ok - i think A might be a whole different ball game! 😱Bev

Hope your holidays all go well, for kids and adults! Bev, hope the beach hut has some heating in it and is waterproof - don't froget to wear the disguise so Alex doesn't spot you!:D

Thanks Northerner,

I have my paper bag at the ready! I think i may invest in a life jacket in case the beach hut does get washed away in all this rain....😱🙂Bev

Hi Patricia

I'm so sorry. I have been reading most of the posts and there was so much I wanted to say about your last long one and I will get around to it. I've posted a few quick things on some of the other lists but I'm trying to get myself and Jessica sorted for holiday and my eyes have flared up again, I was diagnosed with something called blepiritus a month ago, its common apparently but it bloody hurts and I find I'm walking around with sunglasses on at home. My cream ran out beginning of the week and I've finally got some today.

I will reply and I do read so don't stop posting. If anything glaringly needs my input I would post but I do want to comment on other bits as well.🙂

Adrienne, no worries! I remember your eyes -- so sorry they are playing up. As if you don't have enough going on...grrr... all in good time.

I won't be checking now anyway (okay, well maybe once tomorrow!), and I *think* we're okay... Will you get a break Adrienne?

Bev -- at least you can look quite suave wrapped up in front of a beach hut, and it's quintessentially British. The sunglasses will make the Jackie O look.

We'll be on Scottish beaches -- an altogether more bracing affair, I suspect! But last time we went it was full of Highland cows (yes on the beach) and of course just a hop out in a boat and there were seals and otters and it was pretty amazing. All okay in the rain, too. Sniff!

I'm in such denial about how much needs doing before we leave that I've just returned from a spontaneously booked haircut. Oh dear.

Bev, I'm sure you're right about teen years. I don't have a Kevin (yet!), but street cred is certainly on the agenda...

Bye, all!

xxoo

Bye, Patricia. Hope you have a good hol. Look forward to hearing all about it when you return.

Until soon.

Love Mand x

Hi

We are off to Spain Saturday morning for a week, so no break from diabetes (but then that's all of us but just in different ways isn't it) but a break from normal life.

Just found out that the new E111 whatever it is called has run out, typical. Gonna see if I can do anything about it online now ! Don't hold out much hope. Damn I useless.

Bev and Adrienne

Wishing you both wonderful holidays!

Catch up soon!

Love Mand x

Adrienne, if it helps my OH informs me that the E111 is just a courtesy -- I know it's best to have in place, but all the duty of care stuff in European hospitals is in place with or without the actual card.

Have a lovely time, all! Last night we had a weird high night -- messing with pasta dose, alas, so are exhausted today after two corrections and checks. Blast! Oh well.

xxoo

Hey Patricia!

I may have missed you already, perhaps you have gone off on your jollies?! I am so envious, I actually think scotland is somewhere I could up-sticks and relocate too. Hope you have a fab time.

Regarding your last post, do you have the John Walsh Pumping Insulin? I cant remember if you mentioned it or not (I should think time is sparce to read though as well as everything else you get up to?!). I have had it a couple of weeks but only picked it up today, reason being I am constantly correcting. There is a chapter in there about challenging your corrections and they should average below 8% of your total daily dose over a few days. It gets waaaaaaay more technical than what I just wrote but resulting from that I am trying to review my sensitivity today, see if its right. I correct a lot. I wonder if you you are for E then maybe this book is useful to you? Got it on Amazon. If a miracle should happen, and I either learn from what I have read, or even more shocking- I absorb it, then I shall try and share what I know!

It would seem we are at opersite ends of the spectrum. A dual wave one or two times has has more than the desired effect for you, and I am at the other, I cannot get it to have any effect or get to a desired number using it. I have normal bolused a pasta meal tonight and will test again later. I need a new strategy regarding dual waving. When you are in post holiday blues and need a pasta discussion perhaps we should get in co-hoots? I would be interested in what weight your pasta is and what percentage you go for (infact I seem to remember you might have already said.....I will scroll back just incase). Pasta eh? ironically Im planning a holiday to Italy, perhaps I should reconsider until they build the turbo pump?!:D

I shall miss your posts while you are away. We are in good pumping company here arent we?!

Enjoy scotland and those lovely angus beef burgers! YUM!

Safe travels,
Louisa x

OMG when are you back??????????????! x

Howdy!

I don't know where to start...Ack! I've been putting this off...Okay, shall just list happenings and then go back and pick it up. Lou: need a pasta talk! We have really started to nail some things, eg the problems -- solutions not yet materialised!

Okey doke: first, all well and healthy. A really, really good holiday with lots of activity, lots of different foods and different courses and different timings, and actually precious few problems. Unbelievable. Numbers a bit all over, but when we looked back, not desperate. Prob slightly too high, and more up and down than we have become used to, but we think the average was actually pretty good...Phew.

1) packed enough to pump half of Scotland, lol. Got there though and at first set change realised we had inadvertently packed a second bottle of insulin with *hardly anything in it*. Oh dear. Calculated that if we had to, we could syringe it out of the emergency pen we'd brought...And that, once we got to the Lakes, we knew the doctor there...But not a great start! In the event, made it, as he was using less insulin anyway...

2) we ended up doing LOTS of late night testing, because we tended to eat late and/or graze. This meant that we didn't get as much sleep generally and you like to get on holiday. Saying that -- we had NO scary numbers -- no huge highs, no desperate lows... And I think this is because we tested regularly and according to our systems: no late bolus without a follow-up test, no end of dual wave without a 1.5 hour test.

3) Temp basals are heavenly. We used them a great deal -- swimming, walking, kayaking. E now turns them on himself, and doesn't hesitate. They seem to 'do the job' for every exercise, with swimming being the only one that will still sometimes bring him low or have the need for 'free carb'.

First thing to learn for next time

Get an aquapak for the pump! OMG why didn't we think of this! First: spent many hours on small boats! Ack! took turns steering and accelerating! Could all have fallen off! Second: my heart *stopped* when I realised later in the holiday E was BALANCING ON STEPPING STONES in a bathing suit on Lake Coniston! With his pump on! He then pretended to fall in...Not overly funny. Anyway, disconnected the baby and he went swimming... Third: at home we then went to a beach -- no place to leave the pump safely. We put it in a plastic bag and I waded in with the bag on my shoulder...bit stupid. It also got a bit gritted. Bit stupid. The set change also got gritty and at one point we thought we weren't going to be able to reconnect. Bit stupid!

Saying that, as mother I was holding on. His father on the other hand, was all for letting go, and as I blanched, he reassured over and over that THANK GOODNESS E wants to do this stuff, and can now do this stuff, and hey, we live with it! Life is back!

Of course, he's right. Very right.

Stay tuned for second and third things to learn for next time...!

So glad your holiday went well! Good to have you back.

It is only natural that there were some things that were a bit worrying at the time. You need to experience these things to learn from them. Sounds like you have learned several things that you could do different next time and this is all part of the learning process of the pump. (and a great help to me as you have raised issues that i would not have been prepared for either!).

Look forward to your further posts..............

🙂🙂🙂

Realised after posting last night that with the pump one of the *only* annoying things about it is its physicality, eg having to plan what to do with it physically, keeping it safe etc. The point is, it becomes so much a part of a person that you don't plan for having it off, or keeping it clean/dry until you are faced with it!

So, to cover all eventualities: an aquapak, and retain a set cover for beach/dirty water stuff. We never normally use it, but it would have been useful as protection at the beach.

All of this water stuff is important even though E is just as well off not wearing the pump while swimming, cause sends him low -- but it would have been safer in two instances this holiday for us to run him on a very low basal, but tuck the pump away in a waterproof thing, on his person, to keep it safe. I almost croaked when I imagined 2,500 pounds of kit floating to the bottom of the lake...

Second thing to learn...

Bring an extra belt clip/holder! E uses his clip every day, and five days into the hol it snapped as he sat down: no one's fault, just an awkward angle caught on a chair, and boing! Our host kindly went to his workshop and amazingly managed to bring it back into use for a few days with some kind of rosin glue hard plastic contraption...This alas snapped too. So the pump was stuck in a pocket the rest of the holiday. Not the end of the world, but would have been hard for a girl/woman to manage. To Medtronic's credit though, we ordered another the day we got home: it arrived the next day, free of charge! What?! And who in the US says the NHS isn't up to much?! So incredible I want to write a letter about the absolutely fantastic service....

Also upon arriving home, I found a kind of 'holster' that came with the pump...a similar idea to the clip, just a little larger. If we'd brought that as backup, it would have been a good idea...😱

Third thing and probably most important

Accept certain limitations on spontaneity. In other words, ALWAYS look ahead.

On our last day on Mull, we all took up our hosts' offer to climb up behind the house and see the old village and the astonishing views. On went the boots, doggies hooked up to leads, everyone in a anorak except E, who was in a fleece and really didn't want a coat.

Off we went. Straight uphill at quite a clip. Now, we were having a fab time. E was in front with doggies, charging on...We were all chatting away like mad...And half an hour in I thought, need to catch him. He needs to test. This is hard work.

I didn't catch him for about another 15 mins, by which point I'd caught up with my husband too (no, I'm not slow -- my daughter by now was busy collecting wildflowers and getting distracted!), who, like me, didn't suddenly want to show E up by yelling up to him. Fortunately, we signed to him to stop and wait for us, and the host seemed to catch on and sat him down, still chatting...

He was 2.7. Meanwhile a squall was coming in and it started to drizzle. He had some glucose, felt okay, and walked another five minutes. Felt bad again: 3mmols. More glucose. Most of our party had gone ahead.

My husband sat down on the fell and wrapped his coat (duh!) around E. I went ahead to let others know what was happening. The chappie went back to sit with my husband and son (and for safety: one could always come down for help), and one of the dogs (an incentive: E loves them, we don't have any!).

The lady of the house, my daughter, me and the other dog continued the descent, me silently berating...He should have gone onto a temp basal almost immediately. He should have brought a coat. First and foremost, we should have asked how long and hard the walk was, for goodness sake!!!

Seven glucose tabs later he was up and running, and they'd practically caught the rest of us by the time we all rolled up back at the house.

Seven glucose. It was the low point of the holiday. E admitted he had been scared, up on the hill, rain coming in, isolated. My husband admitted he'd begun to make calculations about how far he could carry an 7.5 stone weight. Thank goodness for another person, who could and would have willingly shot back down the hill for more supplies or people...

The lesson's obvious: get over the British politesse of not asking, and ASK. Accept limitations on spontaneity and PLAN. We thought the walk was a little half hour jaunt. All in all, it was two hours. If we'd known this before setting out, none of it would have happened.

Sigh. I'll admit there were times on the holiday, as wonderful as it was, that I thought 'why us?' 'why my baby?': when we had to wake him up again at 1am , or stop him in an activity to test, or even when I had hysterics about the pump hovering over the lake. I'd have been happier having hysterics over something else, it's that simple!

It's good to laugh at it all, but there's no getting past the constant presence of diabetes, the unwelcome guest who never leaves...

Saying all this, it was the first break we've managed since diagnosis, and the most relaxed any of us have been in months and months, due in no small part to the pump and its incredible flexibility.

So there.

Patricia,
I understand why you are angry with yourself for this - i have done this in the past and it makes you feel terribly guilty doesnt it? But i have started taking the view that all of these little 'blips' are actually a *good* thing. E will NEVER go on a walk again without asking the duration and the level of climb etc -he has learnt a valuable lesson - but the main thing is you were both there to deal with it if it had got out of hand.🙂

Last week, we went to a market town for the day and A had left his bag in the car (never done this before). Obviously he had to go hypo in the middle of the high street! So i said dont worry about the bag and testing - your obviously hypo so i have some glucotabs in my bag - but when i looked in the pocket the packet had opened and they were all loose! They had bits of hair and other things stuck to them - so i had the option of giving him these or panicking! I panicked and went into a shop for a bottle of fizz - i just got it out the fridge and pushed my way to the front of the queue saying how i am sorry but i need this for my hypo son outside - they all let me pay and i ran out of the shop with the thought in my head that A would be lying on the floor surrounded by paramedics and people shouting 'wheres the mother'!

The bench i had left him sitting on was round the corner out of sight of the shop - but in reality it was only a 20 second walk. When i got to the bench he was looking pale and there were no paramedics or people shouting!

So our lesson was - always check he has his bag - and ditch the hairy glucotabs in favour of a plastic container to keep them nice and clean! Now A always checks he has his bag as do i!😱🙂Bev

I'm certain you're right Bev -- it's just unsettling, isn't it? And of course my brain goes into overdrive -- what if we hadn't been there? What if, what if....

Sounds like you had a similar experience though...I know what you mean about 'where's the mother?'! Like, you dreadful woman...And all the while, you are your worst critic anyway and wrestling with all kinds of guilts and horrors...

I forgot to mention that on this beach E also decided he needed to walk to the water to wash sand off. He took off on his own, and within a few minutes was out of sight. It was a VERY crowded place. I began to agitate, but my husband was calm (on the outside!). In a couple of minutes we could just make him out as he set out back to us, but neither of us wanted to show we didn't trust him to know himself by going to fetch him...Anyway, several minutes later (about 10mins to be honest, ages!) he showed up, walking steadily, but obviously a bit freaked out. He was panicking, thinking he was low, and didn't have a thing on him...He wasn't low, but the experience had really made him think about setting out with nothing. He had also panicked of course because he was afraid of not being able to find us etc, and this had all contributed to making him wobbly --so he felt low.

Thing is, in a bathing suit -- what to do about carrying glucose? Not to mention a kit? I've found the link to the aquapac, which looks heavenly -- http://www.aquapac.net/ukstore/insulin-pump-case-code-154-1162-0.html. When we get it I'll see if there's room for some glucose in there?

My son has mentioned recently that he finds his testing kit comforting now. Clearly he was at a loss without it on the beach -- but he was safe, because by this point we knew where he was. We would have fetched him in another couple of minutes. But the lesson was a good one for him, I think, despite his panic. We talked about finding a way to always carry glucose -- then he could have just popped a couple whether low or not, to feel safe.

Understandably, he's become afraid of going low, esp overnight, because it's now clear that he doesn't wake up when low. We are gradually discussing how to ease him and us of these fears -- a CGM perhaps. But it's becoming a problem for him, more so as so much else gets easier.

xxoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back