The most annoying thing about your diabetes (at the moment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little grumpy walking around the supermarket and seeing all the lovely christmas goodies and realising I still have to buy them for others but cant enjoy them myself.

I am also a little bored of having sprouts with every meal because no matter what veg I order online, when it arrives it appears to be substituted with sprouts ! I love sprouts but not at every meal!

I am also grumpy about having to test all the time, I feel lazy and want to chill after my meal and then think, oh no, its that time again.

Also we went out to eat this weekend, and everyone wanted to go to TGI Fridays, but I couldnt see anything low cal or low carb so we went to the Harvester instead and I had a balance bowl (salad and chicken) but it was tasteless and the lettuce was full of hard crunchy bits, prior to diabetes I loved trying out new places to eat and new foods, my favourite cuisine is italian, love all pasta meals, especially lasagne. I feel like people may stop inviting me out as they have to look out for my needs now :(

I am a little grumpy walking around the supermarket and seeing all the lovely christmas goodies and realising I still have to buy them for others but cant enjoy them myself.

I am also a little bored of having sprouts with every meal because no matter what veg I order online, when it arrives it appears to be substituted with sprouts ! I love sprouts but not at every meal!

I am also grumpy about having to test all the time, I feel lazy and want to chill after my meal and then think, oh no, its that time again.

Also we went out to eat this weekend, and everyone wanted to go to TGI Fridays, but I couldnt see anything low cal or low carb so we went to the Harvester instead and I had a balance bowl (salad and chicken) but it was tasteless and the lettuce was full of hard crunchy bits, prior to diabetes I loved trying out new places to eat and new foods, my favourite cuisine is italian, love all pasta meals, especially lasagne. I feel like people may stop inviting me out as they have to look out for my needs now :(
I think you are restricting yourself for what is the occasional night out for a meal. That is what is going to make sticking to your regime hard. I looked at TGI Friday menu and there are plenty of low carb foods, chicken, ribs, salads.

I also hate urinating into a pot with a ridiculously proportioned opening at my annual review :rofl:
Me too. I bought myself an “only to be used for pee samples” funnel which I keep in the bathroom (not in the kitchen!).

@Jenny65 I think that @Leadinglights is making a very good point. You even have in your signature "it's not feasible to not eat anything tasty ever again". Depending how often you eat out with friends/ family you might need to try to stick to your low carb foods for some of those meals, but that doesn't mean you can never have a treat meal that isn't on your usual menu.

I'm also going to be having a few treats for Christmas too. Just not as many as in the past.

@Jenny65 I think that @Leadinglights is making a very good point. You even have in your signature "it's not feasible to not eat anything tasty ever again". Depending how often you eat out with friends/ family you might need to try to stick to your low carb foods for some of those meals, but that doesn't mean you can never have a treat meal that isn't on your usual menu.

I'm also going to be having a few treats for Christmas too. Just not as many as in the past.
Yes, I know what you mean and on Christmas Day itself I will allow myself a few treats, its just in the next 4 weeks alone I have 2 engagement parties to attend and another 3 meals out so that would put me back on craving carbs again. I didnt realise how many social activities involve food until this hit, but literally everything is geared to eating. One of my sons loved 5 guys and that really is a gut busting menu, even the milkshakes are 1000 + calories 🙂 and I dont like the food either so I would be eating stuff for the sake of taking part but I will enjoy a mince pie and our ritual Christmas Eve Hot chocolate with marshmallows, cream and a flake 🙂

Don't have any issues around food & taking insulin as that is fairly routine now after so many years, like others really miss spontaneity of doing things on impulse without having to think about picking up glucose & like on way out of door.

I'm going with the amount of brain space taken up with the decision making.
Levels can be OK if just pottering about at home (as long as no hoovering is involved!) but anything more exciting involves so much planning. I miss the spontaneity.
Also (sneaking in an extra one) it all seems a bit more unpredictable at the moment, just to add to the fun!

I know what you mean. My sweet tooth has totally gone so eating JBs or Dextrose when i'm low isn't nice. I thought i'd treat myself a few weeks ago and have a cake when out for coffee. It was awful, far too sweet.
It was my granddaughter’s birthday on Saturday and I had the tiniest sliver of cake. I took the icing off but the buttercream was so sweet I could smell it. My mouth was yukky for ages.

The fact that my Pancreas is a fighter and refuses to give up.🙄

I keep going through cycles of it waking up for a few days and desperately trying to help resulting in unexpected hypos.

I then have to stop using my bolus completely until it wears itself out again and I shoot up high.

And the cycle continues :rofl:

It was my granddaughter’s birthday on Saturday and I had the tiniest sliver of cake. I took the icing off but the buttercream was so sweet I could smell it. My mouth was yukky for ages.
Snap-- the thing I most dislike about eating or drinking things with lots of sugars is the lingering yukky mouth!

Completely irrelevantly, makes me wonder ... Presumably people who like sweets don't get the yukky mouth thing? If so-- why do they not get it and we do? ...

Feeling that I am restricting the rest of the family, for example when out to lunch or getting takeaways

Snap-- the thing I most dislike about eating or drinking things with lots of sugars is the lingering yukky mouth!

Completely irrelevantly, makes me wonder ... Presumably people who like sweets don't get the yukky mouth thing? If so-- why do they not get it and we do? ...

Has to be exceptionally sweet to get that yuk aftertaste, usual fare of biscuits cakes choc bars don't get it & very much enjoy them, sometimes some artificial sweetners give me that yuk taste you mention.

1. As previous poster said, the measurement units, different standards and systems used across the world.
2. Not being able to grab fish and chips or a pasty for lunch when out.
3. Not being able to have my fav puddings, esp apple crumble and custard.
4. Because I have lost weight, cross I have waisted money on a parcle of my favourite jeans I bulk bought a few years ago as the manufacturer was discontinuing that particular style, now feel I am walking round in a potato sack.
5. Not being able to have more than a pint of lager at once!
6. The NHS healthy meal plate suggestion and its dogma of sticking to outdated advice for type 2's, lack of diabetic knowledge at grass roots levels, inertia in taking on board new ideas and interesting proven research from across the world.
All minor really compared to what some people have to endure, so not moaning, just taking advantage of the free opportunity to have a rant!
Type 2's just get ignored in my area and we don't get to see a DNS. At my last review I had to explain why my insulin doses varied ( adjusting for carbo and current BS level) because the nurse did not understand it. Probably down to the GP's but not helpful and I have little confidence in local NHS ability to help me.

Never having a carefree day off from it.
Would be nice to wake up and get a cup of coffee with no finger stabbing or scanning of a sensor first.
Finding it hard to eat on the go. I am fine with injecting in public in cafes etc but, for example, just going into a shop and buying a sandwich, not sure how to tackle jabbing standing in the street so to speak.

1. People automatically assuming Type 2

For example, someone who said when I told her I had Type 1 diabetes, 'Oh, that's not a problem; my husband is mildly diabetic, he just has to be careful about what he eats and get enough exercise.' ... Uh, no ... Cue patient explanation of the difference between T1 and T2 ...

I know 95% of diabetics are Type 2, so it's understandable that most people, when they hear 'diabetes', assume stuff associated with Type 2. But it does get a little exasperating, given that Type 1 is so much more difficult to deal with than Type 2.
One of the most annoying things for me is when T1s respond to this sort of misunderstanding by pushing their own misunderstandings. I can understand non-diabetics misunderstanding things but i cant accept T1s making this worse by spreading more untruths.

T1 is not much more difficult to deal with than T2. They are both differently difficult. As a T2 on MDI i have all the difficulties you have as a T1, the carb counting, many injections, risk of DKA if i get things wrong, with the added difficulty of my pancreas sporadically producing insulin as and when it feels like it, and my body being more/less sensitive to insulin whenever it feels like it, completely changing my insulin requirements.

On top of that i have the added difficulties of no access to technology or education, libre sensors, cgms, pumps, carb counting courses aren't available to T2s. Even test strips or an explanation of how diabetes works and how they can manage it are not accessible to the majority of T2s

The T2s not on insulin often have a much more restricted diet than T1s, very limited ability to see how their body responds to foods, can't just have something they fancy and bolus for it.

So thanks for spreading the wrong information that "Type 1 is so much more difficult to deal with than Type 2". Really appreciate that (fellow autistics - this is sarcasm)

Chicken tex mex salad.
Comes in at 507 Cal's.
Chicken Quesadillas 512 cals
That's a couple of shakes give or take out of my diet.
You can't let your diet take over.
And you are right, they are your needs, but they are yours to manage.
Most places have a salad on the menu.
(As to testing, if you know what the meal did last time, have a night off, it won't change)

One of the most annoying things for me is when T1s respond to this sort of misunderstanding by pushing their own misunderstandings. I can understand non-diabetics misunderstanding things but i cant accept T1s making this worse by spreading more untruths.

T1 is not much more difficult to deal with than T2. They are both differently difficult. As a T2 on MDI i have all the difficulties you have as a T1, the carb counting, many injections, risk of DKA if i get things wrong, with the added difficulty of my pancreas sporadically producing insulin as and when it feels like it, and my body being more/less sensitive to insulin whenever it feels like it, completely changing my insulin requirements.

On top of that i have the added difficulties of no access to technology or education, libre sensors, cgms, pumps, carb counting courses aren't available to T2s. Even test strips or an explanation of how diabetes works and how they can manage it are not accessible to the majority of T2s

The T2s not on insulin often have a much more restricted diet than T1s, very limited ability to see how their body responds to foods, can't just have something they fancy and bolus for it.

So thanks for spreading the wrong information that "Type 1 is so much more difficult to deal with than Type 2". Really appreciate that (fellow autistics - this is sarcasm)
I personally don't think that's any differnt then a non diabetic misunderstanding I did at first have misunderstandings type 2 but was happy to learn otherwise. But if you not told you don't know.(not cirtal post just my thoughts).

I personally don't think that's any differnt then a non diabetic misunderstanding I did at first have misunderstandings type 2 but was happy to learn otherwise. But if you not told you don't know.(not cirtal post just my thoughts).
It is different, a diabetic explaining to someone else how type 1 is supposedly "so much more difficult" than type 2 is much worse than a non-diabetic not understanding much about diabetes. I wouldn't expect a non diabetic to know much. If a type 1 is explaining to someone else why T1 is more difficult than T2 i would certainly expect them to have researched and understood T2 first, otherwise theyre even worse than the person they're speaking too.

Also, @Spathiphyllum clearly has researched diabetes before this encounter, since they've been posting on diabetes forums and are listing now people not realising that T1 is worse than T2 as something that is their biggest annoyance. So its not the same as you learning things at first and being happy to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back