The most annoying thing about your diabetes (at the moment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the most annoying things for me is how GPs seem to often blame everything on diabetes. I injured my toe last year, I know exactly how it became injured, but the doctor I first saw was very heavily suggesting that I may have caused it by diabetes mismanagement! Yes, I am aware that diabetes can cause foot problems, but I highly doubt it caused my foot to rather forcefully collide with a tree (and subsequent cause a cracking noise)! I also hate urinating into a pot with a ridiculously proportioned opening at my annual review :rofl:

Sorry, got an extra moan. BG was 24.3 before tea. No idea why. Didn’t do anything particularly different today.

It's another way that diabetes is more annoying for women than for men.
We have to put pee into a test tube but I’m given a syringe to do the transfer with, there’s no way I could directly aim into the test tube

Another 5 minute stair-stomping classic tonight…

1666556936672.jpeg

5 minutes and then about 5 minute sit down afterwards

1666557003780.jpeg

Hey presto! 🙄

Actually needed a swig of full sugar soft drink to level me out. After 5 minutes!

We have to put pee into a test tube but I’m given a syringe to do the transfer with, there’s no way I could directly aim into the test tube
There are, of course, cheap funnels that could make this so much easier. I've no idea why they're not standard since they'd surely have trivial cost at the scale of the NHS. For example, https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/2-x-one-step-womans-ladies-female-urine-funnel/

The two women on the Type 1 on 1 podcast talk about this issue (one of them was given a bunch of them (or something similar) a while ago after an incident when she didn't have one).

There are, of course, cheap funnels that could make this so much easier. I've no idea why they're not standard since they'd surely have trivial cost at the scale of the NHS. For example, https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/2-x-one-step-womans-ladies-female-urine-funnel/

The two women on the Type 1 on 1 podcast talk about this issue (one of them was given a bunch of them (or something similar) a while ago after an incident when she didn't have one).

Such a simple solution!

As long as they were made of medical grade whatever…?

I took a urine sample in a clean alternative bottle once and it was rejected as they couldn’t use it unless it was in the officially sanctioned containers made of the right material.

As long as they were made of medical grade whatever…?
True, and perhaps when made to those standards they're too expensive. Still seems like something ought to be possible to do at a practical cost. It's hardly a new problem (I remember when I was doing O level engineering (which would be 30 years ago) the teacher mentioned that when he was in college he'd worked on a device that would make capturing mid-stream urine samples from women more convenient).

Presume there would be an overflow issue unless you had a good gauge of what quantity the container you’re given could hold and could accurately judge when to stop the flow to remove the funnel. Plus the coordination to hold both the funnel and the test tube in just the right position whilst hovering squatted over the loo…

I get a cardboard thing or used but clean home container, pee into that, the test tube comes with a syringe to transfer into the test tube which you then write an unnecessary level of personal details on into a tiny box, and submit the sample. Seems an easy enough process as it is here.

I get a cardboard thing or used but clean home container, pee into that, the test tube comes with a syringe to transfer into the test tube which you then write an unnecessary level of personal details on into a tiny box, and submit the sample. Seems an easy enough process as it is here.
Yes, that's adequate. I think the women on the podcast were irritated at being expected to do it in a clinic without a whole lot of help. And they're right that that's just not fair. (Not that it's trivial for men, either.)

It used to amuse me that the size of the container given to men to provide a sample to check their vasectomy had been successful was the size of a thimble, well just a bit bigger but nowhere near as big as the wee pot people are given.

The annoying thing about diabetes is ................ Diabetes (sorry I couldn't resist I'll be along with another awsear)

Last edited:
Well there are a few annoyances some not so much of a big deal but just not convenient. I have woke outed I generally raise as wake/get up(not any sensors at the moment but woked it) so now I'm considering making a habit of working out my breakfast the night before and weighing it out if it happens to be cearal or something to and going out of range before I even eat it which no one really wants to bothered with.

Ths other thing is I worked out I have different background needs for different times of day and all I can do about that is comprisse with extra carbs or insulin.

True, and perhaps when made to those standards they're too expensive. Still seems like something ought to be possible to do at a practical cost. It's hardly a new problem (I remember when I was doing O level engineering (which would be 30 years ago) the teacher mentioned that when he was in college he'd worked on a device that would make capturing mid-stream urine samples from women more convenient).
It's actually easier to get a urine sample from a baby still in nappies, there are little bags that attach with adhesive, put nappy on and wait... any excess that is more than the bag capacity just spills into the nappy as per normal...

Oh dear, Everyday, I feel my floodgates opening! ... But I'll restrict myself to a mere four things:

1. People automatically assuming Type 2

For example, someone who said when I told her I had Type 1 diabetes, 'Oh, that's not a problem; my husband is mildly diabetic, he just has to be careful about what he eats and get enough exercise.' ... Uh, no ... Cue patient explanation of the difference between T1 and T2 ...

I know 95% of diabetics are Type 2, so it's understandable that most people, when they hear 'diabetes', assume stuff associated with Type 2. But it does get a little exasperating, given that Type 1 is so much more difficult to deal with than Type 2.

2. Constantly having to analyse, plan, worry about food

I know that many people spend their whole adult lives worrying about food, so I apologise if any of the following irritates anybody. But ... Apart from a few aberrant years as a teenager, I've always eaten healthily-- I genuinely like healthy food and don't much like unhealthy food-- and always got a good deal of exercise. So I've spent practically my whole life not worrying about food-- eating what I wanted when I wanted and nonetheless maintaining a healthy BMI.

And therefore being diagnosed with Type 1 in my 50s is a tremendous shock; much more so than if I'd spent my whole adult life analysing and worrying about what I ate.

I hope it will get better, easier, once I get more used to it; I was only fairly recently diagnosed. But for now, compared to my old life, it feels like an eating disorder, spending so much time and energy and thought on food. And yet I can't not-- because if I don't, I could die, either from soaring hyperglycaemia or plummeting hypoglycaemia.

3. The unfairness and unalterability of T1

If I were Type 2, then-- as many people on this forum, as well as research studies, have shown-- I could probably do something about it: T2 is largely triggered by 'lifestyle factors' and therefore can often be 'put into remission' by changing one's lifestyle.

But developing T1 has absolutely nothing to do with 'lifestyle'; no matter how good your diet, no matter how much you exercise, no matter how little visceral fat you have-- you can still develop T1, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Yes, I know that changing one's lifestyle-- changing one's diet, losing weight, taking up exercise-- can be incredibly difficult. But it is possible. And I gather that some people can do all that and still their T2 won't go 'into remission'; but it is possible, even probable. Whereas putting T1 'into remission' is impossible. It's a life sentence with no time off for good behaviour.

4. Being obliged to consume sugars!

I don't much like sweet things!! And even with fruit juice, I worry about the effect on my teeth! But, if I go hypo, I have to drink fruit juice, or chomp on some Dextro tablets; I don't have any choice, other than hypoglycaemic coma. Add in the lack of NHS dentists, and I worry about ending up both T1 and toothless. ; )

And now-- what my Libre is telling me about my glucose level means I need to check blood (as my sensor's a bit unreliable at lower levels), and probably have a snack, so this whinge/rant must come to an end! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Oh dear, Everyday, I feel my floodgates opening! ... But I'll restrict myself to a mere four things:

1. People automatically assuming Type 2

For example, someone who said when I told her I had Type 1 diabetes, 'Oh, that's not a problem; my husband is mildly diabetic, he just has to be careful about what he eats and get enough exercise.' ... Uh, no ... Cue patient explanation of the difference between T1 and T2 ...

I know 95% of diabetics are Type 2, so it's understandable that most people, when they hear 'diabetes', assume stuff associated with Type 2. But it does get a little exasperating, given that Type 1 is so much more difficult to deal with than Type 2.

2. Constantly having to analyse, plan, worry about food

I know that many people spend their whole adult lives worrying about food, so I apologise if any of the following irritates anybody. But ... Apart from a few aberrant years as a teenager, I've always eaten healthily-- I genuinely like healthy food and don't much like unhealthy food-- and always got a good deal of exercise. So I've spent practically my whole life not worrying about food-- eating what I wanted when I wanted and nonetheless maintaining a healthy BMI.

And therefore being diagnosed with Type 1 in my 50s is a tremendous shock; much more so than if I'd spent my whole adult life analysing and worrying about what I ate.

I hope it will get better, easier, once I get more used to it; I was only fairly recently diagnosed. But for now, compared to my old life, it feels like an eating disorder, spending so much time and energy and thought on food. And yet I can't not-- because if I don't, I could die, either from soaring hyperglycaemia or plummeting hypoglycaemia.

3. The unfairness and unalterability of T1

If I were Type 2, then-- as many people on this forum, as well as research studies, have shown-- I could probably do something about it: T2 is largely triggered by 'lifestyle factors' and therefore can often be 'put into remission' by changing one's lifestyle.

But developing T1 has absolutely nothing to do with 'lifestyle'; no matter how good your diet, no matter how much you exercise, no matter how little visceral fat you have-- you can still develop T1, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Yes, I know that changing one's lifestyle-- changing one's diet, losing weight, taking up exercise-- can be incredibly difficult. But it is possible. And I gather that some people can do all that and still their T2 won't go 'into remission'; but it is possible, even probable. Whereas putting T1 'into remission' is impossible. It's a life sentence with no time off for good behaviour.

4. Being obliged to consume sugars!

I don't much like sweet things!! And even with fruit juice, I worry about the effect on my teeth! But, if I go hypo, I have to drink fruit juice, or chomp on some Dextro tablets; I don't have any choice, other than hypoglycaemic coma. Add in the lack of NHS dentists, and I worry about ending up both T1 and toothless. ; )

And now-- what my Libre is telling me about my glucose level means I need to check blood (as my sensor's a bit unreliable at lower levels), and probably have a snack, so this whinge/rant must come to an end! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
I also hate the eating of sweet stuff. I don’t like jelly babies, orange juice, non diet drinks. They make me feel sick, I’ve started eating Kendal mint cake when the need arises, a wee bit more palatable but it really leaves you with a sugary mouth. :( Yuk!

I also hate the eating of sweet stuff. I don’t like jelly babies, orange juice, non diet drinks. They make me feel sick, I’ve started eating Kendal mint cake when the need arises, a wee bit more palatable but it really leaves you with a sugary mouth. :( Yuk!
I know what you mean. My sweet tooth has totally gone so eating JBs or Dextrose when i'm low isn't nice. I thought i'd treat myself a few weeks ago and have a cake when out for coffee. It was awful, far too sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back