starbursts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get mini bags of mini jelly babies. I have only seen them in multipacks in supermarkets. They are like the mini haribo bags you can get. I tuck a packet in my shorts pocket when I am off rock climbing :D

Ooh, like the idea of mini bags of mini jelly babies, just for cool appeal...

Adrienne, it's not pushy to think through this! Never thought of trying the sugar free route as a way of getting him used to it. Couldn't figure out a way to do it without getting sugar in there! Okay, shall try. As you say, gulp at a time may do it.

I agree that sweets are going to take too long generally...but one thing we are interested in is avoiding TOO much carb for a hypo, which a juice carton is...20g. So if we could introduce some sweets when hypo not too bad, or when he's borderline and needs a little boost, it may help avoid what sometimes happens -- too much juice. It could be that three sweets will be 'juicy' enough (he craves it), but not over-carb...

Foam bananas. Never thought of that.

Bring it all on. This is great. We don't really do sweets in our house, so this is a proper education! Love it.

xxoo

You can buy those mini bags of harbio starmix, not sure the amount of carbs in there but I reckon 10-15g.

I feel cheeky asking for glucotabs on prescription, so haven't done it yet.

You can buy those mini bags of harbio starmix, not sure the amount of carbs in there but I reckon 10-15g.

I feel cheeky asking for glucotabs on prescription, so haven't done it yet.

Can you really get glucotabs on prescription? I need to order another lot and was about to order 6 tubs in one go to get the free postage.

Can you really get glucotabs on prescription? I need to order another lot and was about to order 6 tubs in one go to get the free postage.

Yes you can absolutely. Most people on our children with diabetes list now get the big refill pots on script, it is medication after all 🙂

Your GP may well query it as he may not be able to find a pip code for it. What some GP's do, ours including, is handwrite the script. If you tell the GP it is in the C and D book (Chemists and Dispensers book) which means on script.

Rossi - can you find out the pip code from your brother or cousin or whomever you say please. Might help everyone out.

Thanks

Ooh, like the idea of mini bags of mini jelly babies, just for cool appeal...

Adrienne, it's not pushy to think through this! Never thought of trying the sugar free route as a way of getting him used to it. Couldn't figure out a way to do it without getting sugar in there! Okay, shall try. As you say, gulp at a time may do it.

I agree that sweets are going to take too long generally...but one thing we are interested in is avoiding TOO much carb for a hypo, which a juice carton is...20g. So if we could introduce some sweets when hypo not too bad, or when he's borderline and needs a little boost, it may help avoid what sometimes happens -- too much juice. It could be that three sweets will be 'juicy' enough (he craves it), but not over-carb...

Foam bananas. Never thought of that.

Bring it all on. This is great. We don't really do sweets in our house, so this is a proper education! Love it.

xxoo

Patricia

I was the mother everyone starred at when in MacDonalds I was actively encouraging my 2 year old to drink diet coke, bad for your teeth etc etc. Their kids had the milkshakes (ummmm also bad for teeth me thinks !). I knew that diet drinks were the way to go. I had to start with bits at a time as the bubbles went up her nose 😱

Over carbing a hypo is a nightmare. If Jessica is only just hypo she has roughly half a can of the small party sized cans of coke, if more hypo she has the lot !

Good luck and it is soooooo worth going down the fizzy drink route. Take my word for it. Let us know how you get on.

Rossi - can you find out the pip code from your brother or cousin or whomever you say please. Might help everyone out.

Thanks

He says the code is as follows but it means nothing to me, does it make sense to you Adrienne?

Orange Flavour - 324-1841
Raspberry Flavour - 324-1833

Whisky single malt flavour - ??? ???? I WISH!!😉

He says the code is as follows but it means nothing to me, does it make sense to you Adrienne?

Orange Flavour - 324-1841
Raspberry Flavour - 324-1833

Whisky single malt flavour - ??? ???? I WISH!!😉

Yup, that be the pip codes. Thanks Rossi, will tell my own GP that next time he moans about hand writing them.

...Good luck and it is soooooo worth going down the fizzy drink route. Take my word for it. Let us know how you get on.

I haven't liked fizzy drinks throughout my adulthood. Well, maybe the odd beer, but prefer them not to be fizzy. I used to like American Cream Soda and Dandelion and Burdock off the pop lorry when I was a kid, but somehow lost my enthusiasm. I've tried diet coke as a summer drink, but can't get on with it. I think I've got a bit too old now for your training techniques Adrienne!😉

I find fizzy drinks good for a hangover!! 😉

Prefer dr.pepper (what's the worse that could happen?) or fanta.

Confess I'm very American when it comes to fizzy drinks -- we never have them in, but I'd have them a lot more if we did! Love Dr Peppe, root beer...and diet coke first thing in the morning. Okay, shoot me.

Just got little packs of haribo today. E worried he won't be able to have them at school. But he can have any d*** thing he wants! They are about 12-15g per bag. Better than juice for the mild ones maybe?

So many of E's hypos happen on the move...He would never manage carrying half a juice carton around, eek! At home he manages to have the half or 2/3, but out it's impossible...He also sometimes forgets, because being low makes him very thirsty...

I'm going to get diet coke and diet sprite though: you WILL drink this, buster!

I find fizzy drinks good for a hangover!! 😉

Prefer dr.pepper (what's the worse that could happen?) or fanta.

ewww dr pepper is pure minging mate 😉

irn bru all thee way and coca cola off course :D

I carry glucotabs just in case. I'm another one that if I carry jelly babies or starbursts or anything nice, I'll eat them and have to buy more.

I think we all need to do whatever works best for us, and if starburst or jellybabies work and you can resist eating them before you need to, brilliant. If you are carrying them for someone else they are easier to resist.

Hmm. Well you are not alone!

Sent him off to school today with some haribo actually in his lunchbox. Have asked him to bolus some with his lunch if he wants and have some of the packet -- to see if he likes, and see if he thinks he can get on with them.

Has he tried glucojuice? 15g carb exactly in around 60-70mls I think, so a small bottle, definatly smaller than a juice carton, and they aren't fizzy. I tried both flavours and they tasted ok.

i went into the docs today and asked if i could get the glucotabs on prescription and she said she will see what she can do 🙂

i went into the docs today and asked if i could get the glucotabs on prescription and she said she will see what she can do 🙂

Excellent. And quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back