Spag Bol Wed 3rd Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I just wanted to say 'well done' to you all for taking part in this mini experiment!🙂

Personally I have learnt a lot from this - especially after comparing notes with Adrienne! I am hoping we can get more 'pumpers' involved so we can compare notes!🙂

Also from what i can see of the results - all the type 2's must be coping very well as the levels were brilliant! Well done all of you. Looking forward to the next one now!🙂Bev

Yeah well done bev for the idea it was brill and Adreinne as well you did a great job, I cant wait until next week i love F&C x

Hi all,

I just wanted to say 'well done' to you all for taking part in this mini experiment!🙂

Personally I have learnt a lot from this - especially after comparing notes with Adrienne! I am hoping we can get more 'pumpers' involved so we can compare notes!🙂

Also from what i can see of the results - all the type 2's must be coping very well as the levels were brilliant! Well done all of you. Looking forward to the next one now!🙂Bev

I just want to say thanks Bev for the brilliant idea and getting it actually happening.

We did the spag bol thing last night. I tested beforehand at 6.9, one hour after I was 6.5, 2 hours after 8.5, 3 hours at 7.7 and before bed at 6.8. This is pretty good for me.

Yes I agree thanks Bev. I think this is a great idea and has worked well. It helped me to see your results and chat today, we now both know what to try next time.

Bring on the fish and chips or in Jessica's case, the battered sausage and chips !!! Oh boy I forsee lots of 20's........

Agree was a great idea Bev.

I'm looking forward to fish and chips night, oh I might have battered sauage like Jessica. Will be hard to choose. You are right Adrienne I expect to see some higher numbers than this time. Will have to try and test for longer than 2 hours to see the full picture I think.

Do you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to test myself. For those that don't know I'm not diabetic but so many people think that non diabetic's blood levels stay the same. They don't. I've been 9.5 before now and s**t myself thinking that's it, now I am ......... but I ate a couple of family bags of choc raisins, haven't done that in a while. So I may see what happens as I've never done that for a whole evening.

I may post the results I may not.

You are right, I have tested my other half and had results up to 10 before and as low as 2.x. Will be interesting to see your results if you do decide to post them.

Well that was a disaster!
This is what I typed before I went to bed
Recipe had 120g mince per portion, tinned tomato ,tom puree, red wine, onion , mushrooms garlic herbs, .Worcester sauce

I had 65gm, weighed uncooked, wholemeal pasta. Carb estimate 43 from pasta 8 from sauce
51 carb total should be 5.1 units but added 1u not very scientifically but just because it was pasta and that seemed about right .
Before 4.2mmol/l
4u immediate
2.1 u sq over 1.5 hours
1.5 hrs 6.9mmol/l
3hrs (10.30pm) 5.2mmol/l

So far, so good, I was pleased because I have always been a bit scared of pasta after going high with it soon after diagnosis.

bit worried that I was too low at 3 hours but I thought if it went into the 4s I'd be OK...my levels don't normally change overnight. BIG MISTAKE

At 12.30 am woke BG 3.6mmol, start taking dextrose tablets (I only thought I'd need a couple) but it took me an hour to get above 4. Eventually, It seemed to be on the rise so turned my basal down to 20% for the next couple of hours and went to sleep.
Woke at 4am tested 4.4mmol, felt a bit strange, wentdownstairs to make a cup of tea and was extremely sick...several times.
Eventually got back to bed and slept but woke still feeling horrid, BG 6.4mmol and strangely with moderate ketones. (I thought I'd better check)

Spent today feeling absolutely exhausted, with a fuzzy head.
I've no idea why I was sick... husband ate twice as much as I and was fine.(and slept through everything)

Oh dear Helen, hope you are feeling better now.
Maybe next time we will have to put a disclaimer saying, join in at your own risk!

Well that was a disaster!
This is what I typed before I went to bed
Recipe had 120g mince per portion, tinned tomato ,tom puree, red wine, onion , mushrooms garlic herbs, .Worcester sauce

I had 65gm, weighed uncooked, wholemeal pasta. Carb estimate 43 from pasta 8 from sauce
51 carb total should be 5.1 units but added 1u not very scientifically but just because it was pasta and that seemed about right .
Before 4.2mmol/l
4u immediate
2.1 u sq over 1.5 hours
1.5 hrs 6.9mmol/l
3hrs (10.30pm) 5.2mmol/l

So far, so good, I was pleased because I have always been a bit scared of pasta after going high with it soon after diagnosis.

bit worried that I was too low at 3 hours but I thought if it went into the 4s I'd be OK...my levels don't normally change overnight. BIG MISTAKE

At 12.30 am woke BG 3.6mmol, start taking dextrose tablets (I only thought I'd need a couple) but it took me an hour to get above 4. Eventually, It seemed to be on the rise so turned my basal down to 20% for the next couple of hours and went to sleep.
Woke at 4am tested 4.4mmol, felt a bit strange, wentdownstairs to make a cup of tea and was extremely sick...several times.
Eventually got back to bed and slept but woke still feeling horrid, BG 6.4mmol and strangely with moderate ketones. (I thought I'd better check)

Spent today feeling absolutely exhausted, with a fuzzy head.
I've no idea why I was sick... husband ate twice as much as I and was fine.(and slept through everything)

Oh my god! I feel really awful now! I am so sorry you have suffered like this. I wonder why you went so low? If anything, most people go high after pasta dont they?

The only thing i can come up with is that you started on a low level and perhaps too much insulin up front? Of course, we have only been pumping for a few months now so dont have the experience that you have - but it does seem odd that you went so low.

Do you normally use this ratio for evening meals? Perhaps the extra 1 unit was just too much? Even with the 20% basal you were low - i dont understand what happened really!😱

I hope you recovered the day after and had no lasting effects. Really sorry you had to endure this.:confused::(Bev

Do you normally use this ratio for evening meals? Perhaps the extra 1 unit was just too much? Even with the 20% basal you were low - i dont understand what happened really!

I hope you recovered the day after and had no lasting effects. Really sorry you had to endure this.Bev
Don't worry, I've just eaten dinner, and I'm much better now!
I've given up trying to analyse it, most of it doesn't seem to make sense.
I'm sure the extra unit was too much but it's very much my own fault for not eating something else at bedtime, not the fault of the 'experiment'!
Its a lesson to me not to be so blase about going to bed with low numbers.
Please don't worry🙂

I hope you are ok now.

Maybe just maybe you actually had a bug of some sort, one of these 24 hour things. Blood sugar levels generally go down if you have a sickness or the other end bug and up if you have anything else so maybe if you had a bug as you did feel rotten as well then that would contribute to the low levels regardless of insulin.

Just a thought.😉

Gosh what an adventure for everyone...Just have to say that we did this on Thursday night... I've posted about it fully on blog (boring detail I'm sure), but just to add our tuppence: we too had a disaster.

We treated everything as usual: 12g ish bolus up front, then a 30/70 5 hour dual wave. No worries. Forgot to follow up test (actually, fell asleep on the sofa), so didn't get to it until nearly 4 hours later.

Woke E up: 3.6.

Right... Juice in.

This had never happened. Finally emerged that he'd done exercise, but had forgotten to tell us. Oops.

Had to stop dual wave, clearly, so whole thing was messed up. At 1am he was 6.9. At 6.30am he was 11.

Oh well. Another time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back