Oh bother this bloomin' basal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so, I would expect my levels to be more erratic if my pancreas was spluttering. I'm nearly cured, I tell you! Nearly cured!!!!!😱

😉

What gave you that idea? when I was honeymooning my levels were perfect and I had an HbA1c of about 6. Now I'm not honeymooning and my levels are high :(

but yeah, hopefully you are cured instead!

What gave you that idea? when I was honeymooning my levels were perfect and I had an HbA1c of about 6. Now I'm not honeymooning and my levels are high :(

but yeah, hopefully you are cured instead!

I suppose I'd need a C-peptide test to see whether I'm producing any insulin. Might be something to ask the DSN when I get round to making an appointment! I'd always imagined that a honeymooning pancreas would be unpredictable, putting out too much or too little?:confused:

I suppose I'd need a C-peptide test to see whether I'm producing any insulin. Might be something to ask the DSN when I get round to making an appointment! I'd always imagined that a honeymooning pancreas would be unpredictable, putting out too much or too little?:confused:

ooh there is a test?

When I was honeymooning at the beginning it was sooo easy. I could snack between meals and have perfect sugars still - I thought diabetes was a breeze!!

Oh how wrong I was :( It's really p***ing me off right now. I have to take like 20 something each meal and i'm still about 12 every time I test and the only way I get a normal reading is by a correction dose after I havent eaten for a couple of hours URGH. I'm just hoping some more exercise will help, otherwise it's a low carb diet for me 🙄

I think this has to be the longest thread on here 😛

Just wanted to point that out 😎

ooh there is a test?

When I was honeymooning at the beginning it was sooo easy. I could snack between meals and have perfect sugars still - I thought diabetes was a breeze!!

Oh how wrong I was :( It's really p***ing me off right now. I have to take like 20 something each meal and i'm still about 12 every time I test and the only way I get a normal reading is by a correction dose after I havent eaten for a couple of hours URGH. I'm just hoping some more exercise will help, otherwise it's a low carb diet for me 🙄

Me too, when I was honeymooning it didn't seem to really matter what I did, my numbers were always really good. I came out of honeymoon very suddenly and my, what a shock to the system that was!

Me too, when I was honeymooning it didn't seem to really matter what I did, my numbers were always really good. I came out of honeymoon very suddenly and my, what a shock to the system that was!

yeah same here, but it took me about a week to realise that I had to start doubling the amount of insulin I was taking - and it was all down hill from there 🙄

You're all depressing me now!* My numbers have been pretty good ever since the first few weeks after diagnosis, perhaps I'm in for a rude surprise!:(

I think this has to be the longest thread on here

Just wanted to point that out 😎

It has turned into quite a saga!:D

*Not really, I'm expecting ups and downs as the years progress - or a cure!:D

You're all depressing me now!* My numbers have been pretty good ever since the first few weeks after diagnosis, perhaps I'm in for a rude surprise!:(

It has turned into quite a saga!:D

*Not really, I'm expecting ups and downs as the years progress - or a cure!:D

Hi Northerner,
Please dont be depressed, Nathan came out of honeymoon period abot 10 mths after initital diagnosis, and while his levels did go out of control for a bit, it was easy to control and rectify with the adjusting of insulin. At 14 Nathan hb was 6.8 in feb09..the best in clinic..and very hard to acheive, he always in top 3
Im sure you will be able to take it all in your stride, you seem to have a strong will power. Chin up hun, your doing really well🙂
Heidi

ooh there is a test?

Oh how wrong I was :( It's really p***ing me off right now.

Me too. My numbers and doses aren't bad,(woke to 6.3) if a bit erratic, (can rise to 15 if I don't get meal doe right) but I'm really struggling with the self-discipline right now - not overeating, drinking etc. boo hoo!

Do you think the 'honeymoon' period has anything to do with starting and maintaining a healthier diet, oehpas loosing weight, if you were overweight, and starting more excercise - so all would be beneficial to reducing no.s. and you could get away with a snack ot two?

...Do you think the 'honeymoon' period has anything to do with starting and maintaining a healthier diet, oehpas loosing weight, if you were overweight, and starting more excercise - so all would be beneficial to reducing no.s. and you could get away with a snack ot two?

I have wondered about this. I'd got myself into quite a state when diagnosed, and I think it is only really since the end of January that I have got back to my former 'healthier' me. My heart, liver and kidneys all took a bit of a battering because of the DKA - all are back to (almost) normal. I say 'almost' because my liver has abnormal bilorubin levels, which the doc thinks may be Gilbert's Syndrome, or possibly the result of my former heavy drinking - it had improved when last measured, might ask for another test tomorrow. What I was leading up to was, possibly my pancreas has also 'recovered' to some degree, and is now putting forth its golden hormone - although probably not as copiously as in its prime!

I was 5.1 on waking this morning, and 5.6 before lunch.

What I was leading up to was, possibly my pancreas has also 'recovered' to some degree, and is now putting forth its golden hormone - although probably not as copiously as in its prime!

I was 5.1 on waking this morning, and 5.6 before lunch.

I guess it may be a possibility, or maybe yoiur body is making much better use of the insulin you inject? You must have mastered the self-discipline thing then. I just really struggle with it when under stress, even tho' I have plenty of incentive. I was going to say what's your secret, but after being so dreadfuly ill and your body taking a real beating, I think I know!

I guess it may be a possibility, or maybe yoiur body is making much better use of the insulin you inject? You must have mastered the self-discipline thing then. I just really struggle with it when under stress, even tho' I have plenty of incentive. I was going to say what's your secret, but after being so dreadfuly ill and your body taking a real beating, I think I know!

In many ways, I think the discipline and 'overcoming' the odds that goes into marathon running has stood me in good stead. It makes you feel good about yourself, not just because of the endorphins, but because it makes you feel very self-aware and self-sufficient. On the other hand, if I wasn't so used to 'going through the pain barrier' I might not have tried to tough out the illness for so long and not been quite so bad when I did finally give in!😱🙂

In many ways, I think the discipline and 'overcoming' the odds that goes into marathon running has stood me in good stead. It makes you feel good about yourself, not just because of the endorphins, but because it makes you feel very self-aware and self-sufficient. On the other hand, if I wasn't so used to 'going through the pain barrier' I might not have tried to tough out the illness for so long and not been quite so bad when I did finally give in!😱🙂

Looks like its all coming together now tho' - good on ya!🙂

See you've been learning Norfolk then! Girdle your grummits, rollock your fussits, and plight your cordwangle!

Hi Northener and Runner
Hows the rest of your day been with your levels and that. Hope you are both ok
Heidi
🙂

Hi Northener and Runner
Heidi
🙂

I was 3.2 before evening meal, felt OK though. It's awkward because my level was 4.7 four hours after lunch, so the subsequent dip would have been due to my basal being too high - but I took that last night so couldn't change it! I'm still not quite used to having to think so far ahead with everything - life used to be much more spontaneous!

...See you've been learning Norfolk then! Girdle your grummits, rollock your fussits, and plight your cordwangle!

It's Ramblin' Syd Rumpo - I'd always associated him with the West Country, but maybe the two regions have common roots, I know you're an odd lot over there! (Runs and ducks!):D

It's Ramblin' Syd Rumpo - I'd always associated him with the West Country, but maybe the two regions have common roots, I know you're an odd lot over there! (Runs and ducks!):D

Aaah, we're all Round the Horn here!

Hi Northener and Runner
Heidi
🙂

6.2 this morning, 12.5 - but I took it after lunch and injected (forgot to test before in the excitment - met an old colleague for lunch, - don't get out much LOL) 5.8 before dinner. Feeling a bit more cheerful now too - thaks for asking. 🙂 How's things with you?

I was 3.2 before evening meal, felt OK though. It's awkward because my level was 4.7 four hours after lunch, so the subsequent dip would have been due to my basal being too high - but I took that last night so couldn't change it! I'm still not quite used to having to think so far ahead with everything - life used to be much more spontaneous!

I understand exactly what you mean about life being much more spontaneous.
I know with nathan, life at the moment seems to revolve around insulin doses., blood tests, food, appointments, information..whilst i'm a believer in knowledge is power..sometimes my head goes into overload mode..LOL.
Going back to you feeling a little queasy in the mornings, ave you tried eating a small ginger buscuit.
Heidi
🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back