Oh bother this bloomin' basal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
6.2 this morning, 12.5 - but I took it after lunch and injected (forgot to test before in the excitment - met an old colleague for lunch, - don't get out much LOL) 5.8 before dinner. Feeling a bit more cheerful now too - thaks for asking. 🙂 How's things with you?

There good readings.. glad you had a nice lunch.. it does a power of good having a bit of excitment.. LOL😉.
Really pleased you feeling a bit more cheerful too.
Yeah we both good thanks.
Heidi
🙂

...Going back to you feeling a little queasy in the mornings, ave you tried eating a small ginger buscuit.
Heidi
🙂

I haven't, although I do have some ginger conserve, so I might have some of that on toast tomorrow for breakfast, see if it makes any difference. I'm seeing the GP at 9 o'clock, so will be able to tell her exactly how I feel!😱

I have wondered about this. I'd got myself into quite a state when diagnosed, and I think it is only really since the end of January that I have got back to my former 'healthier' me. My heart, liver and kidneys all took a bit of a battering because of the DKA - all are back to (almost) normal. I say 'almost' because my liver has abnormal bilorubin levels, which the doc thinks may be Gilbert's Syndrome, or possibly the result of my former heavy drinking - it had improved when last measured, might ask for another test tomorrow. What I was leading up to was, possibly my pancreas has also 'recovered' to some degree, and is now putting forth its golden hormone - although probably not as copiously as in its prime!

I was 5.1 on waking this morning, and 5.6 before lunch.

So northener, you have had DKA???

I have only ever had ketones, never went that far to get DKA before and just wondered how you feel when u get it and what do the docs need to do to get rid of it??

I have only ever had ketones, never went that far to get DKA before and just wondered how you feel when u get it and what do the docs need to do to get rid of it??

did you not have it before diagnoses?

You get extreme thirst, frequent urination, weight loss/muscle waste, tiredness sickness etc etc

did you not have it before diagnoses?

You get extreme thirst, frequent urination, weight loss/muscle waste, tiredness sickness etc etc

I had extreme thirst and urination. that was all.

I had went to the doctor with a swelling in my neck and then they checked everythin else to make sure i was ok and thats where they found out i had diabetes.

they never said i had DKA but i did have ketones..

hmm im unsure now lol

I had extreme thirst and urination. that was all.

I had went to the doctor with a swelling in my neck and then they checked everythin else to make sure i was ok and thats where they found out i had diabetes.

they never said i had DKA but i did have ketones..

hmm im unsure now lol

im not sure if it's called DKA or not :confused: or if that's what come after those syptoms. anyone?? :D

I didn't know that it was DKA. What happened was, one evening I was suddenly very sick - very unusual for me. I thought I had picked up a stomach bug so settled into expecting to feel awful for a couple of days, as I normally recover within that time. I was sick throughout the night, and the following day, and the next. I couldn't keep anything down, even water - I'd taken to sucking ice cubes to try and stay hydrated. My weight dropped rapidly. Unfortunately, this was just before a Bank Holiday weekend (exactly a year ago, in fact!), so I couldn't go in to see my GP. By the Monday I was feeling so bad - heart racing, had lost 17 pounds weight, couldn't hear or see very well, got breathless walking across a room, so I decided that the time had come to call 999. My levels were 37 and I was in hospital for 8 days, including having a suspected heart attack the day after being admitted.

I was put on intravenous insulin, finally going onto injections two days before being discharged - I actually felt OK about 24 hours after going in because all the sickness had stopped and I could eat and drink again! Looking back though, I must have been in a pretty shocking state!

I have never felt so ill and never want to feel that bad again. This is why I find it almost impossible to understand those people who risk DKA by not taking their insulin etc., even though they may have already had it more than once.

DKA is when the levels of ketones rise so high that the blood becomes acidic.😱

ive just been reading about it on the trust wikipedia lol. so how did u get to that stage? had you had all the other symptoms for a long time? thirst, tiredness, hunger etc. I let my symptoms go on for months, glad my blood didnt turn acidic :D

my god that sounds awful !!

:( I was lucky that I didnt go that far when I got diagnosed with diabetes.

My cousin was diagnosed aged 8 and she actually went into the coma but luckily woke up and is doing fine 10 years on 🙂

You dont realise how serious diabetes is until you actually have it.

Thats soo scary, that, that can happen.

Sometimes I think to maself, that all i need to do is eat a load of sugar and I could be gone... obvii i wouldnt do that, so no1 panick lol but it is that easy!!

Glad your ok now and thanks for sharing your experience 🙂

ive just been reading about it on the trust wikipedia lol. so how did u get to that stage? had you had all the other symptoms for a long time? thirst, tiredness, hunger etc. I let my symptoms go on for months, glad my blood didnt turn acidic :D

When i was first diagnosed the doctors said that I probably have had diabetes 6 months before being diagnosed. I was like :O:O:O

I didn't realise what it was. With hindsight, I did have the other symptoms for ages - as I've said before, I think my pancreas may have started to fail two years earlier (so I was probably LADA). I drank quite heavily, but then put the thirst and tiredness down to dehydration due to the alcohol, and probably partly down to the fact that I was getting on - 49 at diagnosis. I've been told that I did have a virus, which was the 'final straw' and nobbled my pancreas completely, sending my levels sky high.😱

Well, I have just been to see my lovely GP and she was great. I asked if I could have my normal blood tests done through the surgery, as the clinic have pushed back my appointment till October, so she's arranged all that. She told me not to worry if my HbA1c is a little higher than the 5.4 I got in January, as that was very low. She's also prescribed some enteric coated aspirin to see if they make me less queasy than the dispersible ones, and I can stop the clopidogrel.

So, a good visit, and I only had to wait about 15 minutes, and the receptionist was friendly!:D

p.s. went to bed on 7.8 and woke this morning to 4.8

sounds like a good morning all round northener good news

Good result all round - I reckon that's sound advice about not worrying if it's a bit higher (altho' judging by all your posts, reckon it will be lower - should we set up a bet? 😉 Fingers crossed.

Good result all round - I reckon that's sound advice about not worrying if it's a bit higher (altho' judging by all your posts, reckon it will be lower - should we set up a bet? 😉 Fingers crossed.

I once read someone here had their last HbA1c's at around 4.7 - 4.8, that sounds too low to me! Mid 5's is what a non-diabetic would be so I'll be happy with that, or anything under 6.5!🙂

The doctor suggested I wait about 4 weeks before having the test done, as I have only been stable on my insulin for a couple of weeks - she thinks that the result will be a better reflection of my average BG, assuming it remains stable of course! She also said that a lot of patients had had their clinic appointments pushed back a long way so there must be some changes going on.

I once read someone here had their last HbA1c's at around 4.7 - 4.8, that sounds too low to me! Mid 5's is what a non-diabetic would be so I'll be happy with that, or anything under 6.5!🙂

I would be too - last one was 7.7.

How weird is this: BS was 6.7 this am. Had breakfast and used usual dose for toast and marmalade and correcting dose - 2units. By 11.15 began to get hypo feelings (for me it starts with feeling shaky - even tho' I'm not visibly shaky) - Reading was 4.5 As I trust my body rather than numbers, I had an emergency banana on my way out. Pre-lunch reading was 4.4! but no hypo feelings. This seems to happen sometimes - can start to get hypo feelings from 5 down, but more usually 3.9 and below. Always trust my feelings and body tho' and go by that.

Hey-ho, that's the way the glucose tabs crumble!

runner maybe you caught your blood sugar dropping and acted before it got to a hypo level so it was the drop you were feeling. then later before lunhc your blood sugar was stable at 4.4 not dropping so you didn't feel hypo, does that make sense? i'm not sure it does writing it down, but it does in my head lol

I reckon Northerner's A1c will be 5.1%, whats the prize?

Dr Bernstien reckon's people with diabetes should aim for an A1c of 4.2-4.6 %
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdxPfxIbKqo

I reckon Northerner's A1c will be 5.1%, whats the prize?

Dr Bernstien reckon's people with diabetes should aim for an A1c of 4.2-4.6 %
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdxPfxIbKqo

I remember reading this - sounds way too low to me, and I can't see how it is possible to get that and still have your readings above 4.0, or 3.5 at least - I know non-diabetics have a normal range down to 3.5 and this is what he suggests we need to have to stay safe from complications. Although, didn't I read that their measure is slightly different to ours and therefore appears lower?

Just think about it - staying above 4.0 and below 5.0 and eating food! You'd have to eat some very constant, slow release food all the time I would imagine, and never stray from the path or get your insulin doses wrong (or be ill, or exercise, or get stressed, or too hot, or too cold, or too excited...!!!!)😱

A 5.1% would be something to brag about though!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back