Oh bother this bloomin' basal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a 5.3 before lunch, then a 3.9 before evening meal. Thought the lunchtime one would be lower and the teatime one higher from the adjustments I made with my novorapid today! (thought I might have given too much with breakfast and too little for lunch!) Still, stops me from getting bored!😱:D

:confused: Wonder if it will ever be straightforward! Mine have been around 6 and 7 before meals today. Are you gonna check it out with anybody - DSN?

:confused: Wonder if it will ever be straightforward! Mine have been around 6 and 7 before meals today. Are you gonna check it out with anybody - DSN?

Yes I really ought to have a word with the DSN - trouble is, I'm the world's worst procrastinator (I even bought a book about procrastination last November and keep putting off reading it!🙂) If things were fluctuating wildly then I'd probably act sooner, but despite my whingeing things are pretty good - just unexpected. Each time I reduce my insulin I expect my levels to shoot up and they don't, so I'm just about one step ahead most of the time!

Last night was a good example. I deliberately gave myself less novorapid with my evening meal than I had calculated, but when I measured my level 2.5 hours after the meal I was 3.6! So, if I had given my normal novorapid I would have dipped very low. I had something extra to eat and was 7.2 going to bed. I decided that I would try reducing the lantus by another unit and woke to 6.7 this morning, so that obviously made a difference. I'm going to stick to 9 for a couple of days and see how things go - I'm expecting most of my readings to be around 6.x, but we'll see!🙂

Yes I really ought to have a word with the DSN - trouble is, I'm the world's worst procrastinator (I even bought a book about procrastination last November and keep putting off reading it!🙂) If things were fluctuating wildly then I'd probably act sooner, but despite my whingeing things are pretty good - just unexpected. Each time I reduce my insulin I expect my levels to shoot up and they don't, so I'm just about one step ahead most of the time!

Last night was a good example. I deliberately gave myself less novorapid with my evening meal than I had calculated, but when I measured my level 2.5 hours after the meal I was 3.6! So, if I had given my normal novorapid I would have dipped very low. I had something extra to eat and was 7.2 going to bed. I decided that I would try reducing the lantus by another unit and woke to 6.7 this morning, so that obviously made a difference. I'm going to stick to 9 for a couple of days and see how things go - I'm expecting most of my readings to be around 6.x, but we'll see!🙂

Ha ha!:D

Sounds like it might be stabilising a bit. Mine seems to be going the other was - increasing Lantus and still getting the occassional high morning reading. However, I have a big backlog of work, (procrastinating myself answering e-mails!) a cold, and have not been excercising, and have had the occassional comfort food, so there's my explanantion! Back to normal next week, I hope!

Stuck with the 9 lantus and went to bed on 7.0 last night, woke to 4.9, so pleased with that.🙂

Northerner,
I know my experience is very limited compared to everyones on here - but - do you think your ratio's could be a bit out? If your lantus is settled and giving you good waking levels - the only other variable is novorapid/ratio's or exercise? Just a thought!🙂

If you are already reducing the amount you should be having and still having a hypo then this would seem to be the answer. The same is happening to Alex - he has had loads of hypo's since putting him on 1 ; 10 ratios - and my feeling is that we need to change him to 1 ; 12 - but i have asked his DN and she wants to keep him as he is to see if there is a pattern.🙂 Bev

Stuck with the 9 lantus and went to bed on 7.0 last night, woke to 4.9, so pleased with that.🙂

Phew! Sounds good Northerner, long may it last!

Northerner,
I know my experience is very limited compared to everyones on here - but - do you think your ratio's could be a bit out? If your lantus is settled and giving you good waking levels - the only other variable is novorapid/ratio's or exercise? Just a thought!🙂

If you are already reducing the amount you should be having and still having a hypo then this would seem to be the answer. The same is happening to Alex - he has had loads of hypo's since putting him on 1 ; 10 ratios - and my feeling is that we need to change him to 1 ; 12 - but i have asked his DN and she wants to keep him as he is to see if there is a pattern.🙂 Bev

To be honest bev, your experience is probably greater than mine, because you are having to approach the problem quite scientifically every time. I tend to eat similar meals and so I don't go into the wheres and whyfores each time I eat. So, rather than knowing a precise ratio and then counting the carbs accurately, I have a gut feel for the amount of insulin necessary. Don't get me wrong - I did work hard originally at calculating things, and still do with new foods. But with everyday food I now have a sort of 'base' and adjust the insulin according to my latest reactions to a meal. My problems seem to have been underestimating how much to reduce the NR by, as it keeps surprising me by requiring less!

So, my novorapid used to be 8 for porridge, honey and fruit juice for breakfast - it's now 5, and so on. What has been happening is that I've been lowering both NR and lantus, but fasting levels have still been dropping. In effect, I have been changing my ratios, but haven't sat down to think what they are! Yesterday, on 9 lantus, I woke to 6.7, today it was 4.9, tomorrow it might be 3.9 then I'll drop it again!

Well, I seem to have stabilised for now on 9 lantus. Most of my waking readings have been around 5.x - 6.x, which is pretty much the best I could hope for, especially as I've not been aware of dropping low in the night for quite a while. I'm also trying to convince myself that 5's and 6's are perfectly fine, and probably preferable to 4's with the risk of hypos that that brings. I know that might sound odd, but I'm still in my first year of this, and my mind automatically thinks that the lower my numbers are, the better - whilst at the same time I know that the aim is to stay within your range, not work your way towards zero!😱

Hi Northerner,
Glad you have seemed to stabilised your Lantus. Nathan has been having similar problems to you as well at the moment. Your right 5 n 6's are fine, even 7's are. Its hard to achieve what the hospital set your ranges at, with Nathan they recommend 4 n 6, which for a 14 year old in my opinion is too low and have said so, so with him we try 6 n 9's.
Can I ask though are you still injecting your Lantus into your stomach?.
Nathan is just over 2yrs and we both still learning..god it drives you mad at times..haha. His last HB was 6.8

Heidi

Hi Northerner,
Glad you have seemed to stabilised your Lantus. Nathan has been having similar problems to you as well at the moment. Your right 5 n 6's are fine, even 7's are. Its hard to achieve what the hospital set your ranges at, with Nathan they recommend 4 n 6, which for a 14 year old in my opinion is too low and have said so, so with him we try 6 n 9's.
Can I ask though are you still injecting your Lantus into your stomach?.
Nathan is just over 2yrs and we both still learning..god it drives you mad at times..haha. His last HB was 6.8

Heidi

Yes, still inject into stomach - I don't think that's a problem for me, especially now I've regained a bit of weight! Actually, I was thinking recently that maybe all this reduction in insulin I've had over the past 6 weeks has been a lot to do with my body finally getting back to 'normal', and maybe I'm now on the insulin that my healthy body needs. For example, my weight is now 147 pounds and stable, up from 116 pound at diagnosis - I'm now at pretty much my ideal weight for my build. My resting heart rate is now about 50 bpm, as it was when healthy before, but was 90 bpm at diagnosis, with abnormal ecg and inflammation. My running pace is well on the way to being what it once was.

So all these things suggest to me that I've finally recovered from from the trauma I've been put through, not only with the DKA etc., but also likely declining insulin production over the previous couple of years when my weight started falling 1-3 pounds a month.

Sorry to ramble on, but it helps sometimes to write it down!🙂

I thought anywhere between 4 and 7 was good and my DSN suggested I gradually increase Lantus until waking reading is below 8 (I injuect in the morning.

I read somewhere that Lantus is best injected in the thigh- something to do with absorption, and Humalog (my fast-acting insulin) in the stomack, fatty bits of your hip. May be different for children/young people tho?.

I thought anywhere between 4 and 7 was good and my DSN suggested I gradually increase Lantus until waking reading is below 8 (I injuect in the morning.

I read somewhere that Lantus is best injected in the thigh- something to do with absorption, and Humalog (my fast-acting insulin) in the stomack, fatty bits of your hip. May be different for children/young people tho?.

I can't inject in my thighs as it hurts and bruises - also, I would be concerned about too rapid absorption as they say you shouldn't inject in your legs if going running. I rotate my sites, so sometimes my novorapid goes in my stomach and sometimes in my hips - I'll give each area a rest for a while to avoid that lipotrophy(?) business! As the lantus is once a day, and (currently) only 9 units, I always use my stomach for it - but always hav a little feel at the site first to make sure there are no little lumps developing.

Hi hun,
You not rambling on at all, its god to get things off your chest, and yes it does help to write things down.
It does take along time for your body to settle down from the trauma. DKA is horrendous on its own without having to absorb everything else.. Nathan also lost a massive amount of weight,and now looking much better, although he on the heavier side, which is a bit of an issue at the mo, but he a stocky lad ideal for rugby..but lost interest a bit, hopefully he will take it up again.
I'm really glad you feeling much better.
Heidi

Hi hun,
You not rambling on at all, its god to get things off your chest, and yes it does help to write things down.
It does take along time for your body to settle down from the trauma. DKA is horrendous on its own without having to absorb everything else.. Nathan also lost a massive amount of weight,and now looking much better, although he on the heavier side, which is a bit of an issue at the mo, but he a stocky lad ideal for rugby..but lost interest a bit, hopefully he will take it up again.
Heidi

Hope he does regain his interest. rotten thing for young people to have to get to grips with - must be difficult for you too. Just been chatting to son's friend (17) recently diagnosed with type 1, comparing notes, treatment and DSNs. He has lost a lot of weight too and not big to begin with. Scuppered his plans to work offshore, temporarily I hope.

Hope he does regain his interest. rotten thing for young people to have to get to grips with - must be difficult for you too. Just been chatting to son's friend (17) recently diagnosed with type 1, comparing notes, treatment and DSNs. He has lost a lot of weight too and not big to begin with. Scuppered his plans to work offshore, temporarily I hope.

Hi Runner,
I agree its a rotten thing to have to get to grips with especially when young and you want to be the same as everyone else, I get told quite often its all my fault, but I understand he has to take his anger out on someone and that happens to be me🙂. When Nathan calms down we have a good talk..I dont get into arguements with him about it..cause at 14 its an ideal weapon..but I explain to him that while he has this illness for life there are much worse things he could have, and may children would swap there's for his.
How do you cope and manage your diabetes?
17 a terrible age to get it..he will soon feel much better though, and all being well will be able to work offshore..got my fingers crossed

Heidi
🙂

Hi hun,
Heidi

The carpet was pulled right from under me, as I was due to run a marathon the week I was diagnosed. I couldn't wait to get back to it, but the doctors wouldn't even let me walk too quickly for nearly two months afterwards - it drove me mad! Hope Nathan gets his interest back in sports, it will stand him in good stead as he gets older - I'm convinced that my years of running have helped me to get good good control since diagnosis - I 'know' my body very well.

Apart from last night, when I was injecting my lantus! I made a right pig's ear of it - quite a bit of blood and an instant lump! I was worried then that I might have 'lost' some of the dose with the blood, and also that it would get into my bloodstream and dissipate too quickly. However, I woke to a level of 4.7 this morning, which is pretty darned perfect so I think I'll be OK.🙂

Hi Northener,
I admire anyone who runs marathons, not surprised you felt the rug pulled from under you, when diagnosed.
Agree with you that been so focused and healthy, stands you in good stead for overall control of diabetes.
I hope Nathan gets his interest back in sport again, cause it will do him the world of good and boost his confidence.
Hey thats an excellent morning reading:D
Nathan unfortunately had 24hrs of readings all over the place, up at 14.3 at dinnertime, and bad tempered with him, he usually 5-6,no ketones though, and ate usuall food.
Are you now prepared for your next marathon?🙂

Heidi

I haven't been able to run a full marathon since my femur broke in Stockholm in 2004, although I have run some half marathons and Great South Run a couple of times. I actually ran the Hague half in March last year (pre-diagnosis) It was my slowest ever, and I subsequently found out why! 😱 That was supposed to be my preparation for my return to run the Stockholm Marathon and put my demons to rest about breaking the leg...then I was due to do the Budapest Half in September, but hadn't got back running by then so had to miss that too. Just about managed to get round the GSR in October last year and slowly getting back to my old fitness - now complicated by diabetes!

I haven't been able to run a full marathon since my femur broke in Stockholm in 2004... and slowly getting back to my old fitness - now complicated by diabetes!

Ouch!:( Sounds like you're doing really well, and great morning reading

Hi Runner,
I agree its a rotten thing to have to get to grips with especially when young and you want to be the same as everyone else, I get told quite often its all my fault, but I understand he has to take his anger out on someone and that happens to be me🙂. When Nathan calms down we have a good talk..I dont get into arguements with him about it..cause at 14 its an ideal weapon..but I explain to him that while he has this illness for life there are much worse things he could have, and may children would swap there's for his.
How do you cope and manage your diabetes?
17 a terrible age to get it..he will soon feel much better though, and all being well will be able to work offshore..got my fingers crossed

Heidi
🙂

You sound like a very understanding and tolerant Mum. It may well be his hormones affecting blood sugar (positively still raging at 14) - or he's sneaked in a choccy bar or something?

I am on a basal bolus regime - 1 long acting jab in the mornings, and fast-acting with meals or whenever I need them. Only been diagnosed 2 years and still learning. Management goes up and down and is directly related to pressure of work too - my ability to be self - disciplined. I do notice illness and stress affects my readings too - something also which might be affecting your son? I stared running last year, then had a break then stated again early this year, and still going, all be it very slow progress!

Hope all goes well with your son's treatment and things settle down. I know there are magazines and site for teens on Diabetes UK, but not much good if he's not accepting it all and blaming you, but maybe something to bear in mind... 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back