Oh bother this bloomin' basal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps I ought to replace my bedtime snack with them! They really do seem to be very slow release! I'm still a bit up and down - have adjusted the lantus back up to 11 but had a couple of hypos yesterday (2.6 and a 3.4) and was 3.9 on waking this morning, :confused:so might drop back to 10 tonight. My novorapid has stabilised, so I'm still a little confused about what's going on...

poor you, can be so frustrating. I think your right to drop your basal again though :(

I find with my morning sugars using lantus they can be between 4-6 before i get out of bed, then an hour later after getting dressed and making breakfast etc.. and i check again they sometimes can shoot up to 9 on its own, very annoying indeed!! so have to have breakfast and novoraid as soon as i get up even if i dont want food just to keep it under control.. does anyone else has this problem please x

I find with my morning sugars using lantus they can be between 4-6 before i get out of bed, then an hour later after getting dressed and making breakfast etc.. and i check again they sometimes can shoot up to 9 on its own, very annoying indeed!! so have to have breakfast and novoraid as soon as i get up even if i dont want food just to keep it under control.. does anyone else has this problem please x

Are your bg levels ok for the rest of the time? If they are you could be experiencing the dawn phenomena, where the liver dumps glucose into the blood in preperation for the day. some people get this and some dont. My bg really peaks sometimes around breakfast time. also some people can be more resistant to insulin at this time and generally need more insulin with breakfast than other meals. Hope this helps, 🙂

since staring on my metformin my levels are higher then before i started on them , from monday im going to take 2 im not happy with my levels so i will bring it up with the docs on tuesday , if im between 13 and 16 i dont bat an eyelid these days cause its so regular , really p***ing me off cause my mood swings are terrible at the minute

since staring on my metformin my levels are higher then before i started on them , from monday im going to take 2 im not happy with my levels so i will bring it up with the docs on tuesday , if im between 13 and 16 i dont bat an eyelid these days cause its so regular , really p***ing me off cause my mood swings are terrible at the minute

Stef, you look so different!:D

Hope you get your levels lower soon, you must be feeling yukky being that high all the time.:(

ok stef, better test my blood, am i seeing things?:confused:

Are your bg levels ok for the rest of the time? If they are you could be experiencing the dawn phenomena, where the liver dumps glucose into the blood in preperation for the day. some people get this and some dont. My bg really peaks sometimes around breakfast time. also some people can be more resistant to insulin at this time and generally need more insulin with breakfast than other meals. Hope this helps, 🙂

THANKS TRACEY.. MY LEVELS ARE IMPROVING HB 7.5% - ITS JUST SO ANNOYING HAVING TO HAVE BREAKFAST FIRST THING BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

think i will go and test my blood, from talking about metformin to taking the mick , im totally lost here:confused::confused:

sorry if i caused confusion r.e my avatar was just having a play around with my pics while i was bored

Well, I seem to have stabilised on my insulin, so no longer dreaming of being cured! I've been on 10 lantus for a while now (was originally 20) and am waking to around 5.5, which is fine. I'm not aware of any night hypos, and on the few occasions when I've woken up in the middle of the night and tested I've been in range. Hurrah! Wonder how long it will last...?😱:D

pleased to hear its all stabilised northener long may it continue

Well done Northerner - keeping my fingers crossed that the success will last for a good while

Well, I seem to have stabilised on my insulin, so no longer dreaming of being cured! I've been on 10 lantus for a while now (was originally 20) and am waking to around 5.5, which is fine. I'm not aware of any night hypos, and on the few occasions when I've woken up in the middle of the night and tested I've been in range. Hurrah! Wonder how long it will last...?😱:D

Brilliant! didn't I read somewhere that you have been increasing your running after being ill, for a while? This could affect your use of insulin quite dramatically (or was it you told me this! 😱) I adjust my lantus (only down by one unit) on training days. Am gradually increasing it now tho' as morning readings are too high. I take my fix in the morning and have been fascinated to read this thread and the info about the liver etc. - thanks Tracey.

I know I've mentioned the BDEC site before, but it does give you a fomula, based on your previous reading, of how much insulin (fast acting) you need re glucose reading levels. here it is again: http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/ However, I would personally check with DSN before making any drastic changes. 🙂

Well done Northerner - keeping my fingers crossed that the success will last for a good while

Hmmm...looks like the cure might be back on! My last 5 readings, starting at pre-breakfast yesterday have been 3.8, 3.5, 3.4, 4.3, 4.1. No hypo symptoms at those levels - I usually have to dip below 3.0 before I start to feel it. Might try dropping the lantus down another unit to 9 - find it hard to believe I was on 20 for so long!

Watch this space...!😱🙂

Hmmm...looks like the cure might be back on! My last 5 readings, starting at pre-breakfast yesterday have been 3.8, 3.5, 3.4, 4.3, 4.1. No hypo symptoms at those levels - I usually have to dip below 3.0 before I start to feel it. Might try dropping the lantus down another unit to 9 - find it hard to believe I was on 20 for so long!

Watch this space...!😱🙂

Phew! Your body is playing tricks! Hope you get it stabilised soon. I start feeling wobbly, somtimes at 5, and ussually by the time BS had dropped to 4. Do be careful if your warning signs start so low 😱

Phew! Your body is playing tricks! Hope you get it stabilised soon. I start feeling wobbly, somtimes at 5, and ussually by the time BS had dropped to 4. Do be careful if your warning signs start so low 😱

Thanks runner. I've rarely had warning signs early, except maybe the first month or so after diagnosis, and probably then because my sugars had been much higher for a while before diagnosis. I still get good signs below or around 3 though! Whilst my requirements have decreased a lot, I think I've been very lucky overall with my control - just managing to keep ahead of the possible drastic lows and overall with good numbers. I'd absolutely hate it if it was the other way round and I was struggling to keep the numbers from going too high, as many here unfortunately have to.

Thanks runner. I've rarely had warning signs early, except maybe the first month or so after diagnosis, and probably then because my sugars had been much higher for a while before diagnosis. I still get good signs below or around 3 though! Whilst my requirements have decreased a lot, I think I've been very lucky overall with my control - just managing to keep ahead of the possible drastic lows and overall with good numbers. I'd absolutely hate it if it was the other way round and I was struggling to keep the numbers from going too high, as many here unfortunately have to.

Yes, you must have very good control as a rule. I have patches where it all seems to be going well, then I might get quite a high or low, but probably due to my lack of self-control on occassion, accompanied with extra good management (excercise etc.) a bit Jekyl and Hyde! 😡 (literally!)

How have the numbers been today?

Yes, you must have very good control as a rule. I have patches where it all seems to be going well, then I might get quite a high or low, but probably due to my lack of self-control on occassion, accompanied with extra good management (excercise etc.) a bit Jekyl and Hyde! 😡 (literally!)

How have the numbers been today?

Had a 5.3 before lunch, then a 3.9 before evening meal. Thought the lunchtime one would be lower and the teatime one higher from the adjustments I made with my novorapid today! (thought I might have given too much with breakfast and too little for lunch!) Still, stops me from getting bored!😱:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back