Oh bother this bloomin' basal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, things went OK yesterday, with 5.6 pre-lunch, 4.3 pre-tea and 5.5 pre-bed. But today I seem to have been going low again despite dropping the NR a bit. I was 5.2 waking, then 3.7 before lunch and 3.3 before tea. No symptoms, so I guess I'm getting a few too many of those lows and my body/brain have adapated - the problem with that being, of course, that my symptoms might only kick in when I drop really low.

Tomorrow will be an odd day as I'm off to a wedding - drinks+canap?s after ceremony, wedding breakfast around 2:45, evening buffet. Not my normal day or eating pattern at all, nor my usual food. The bride has thankfully provided me with an early copy of the menu and the fillings of the canap?s so I can have some idea in advance of the insulin I might need to cover it all, but it's days like tomorrow where I would really welcome a pump so I could be a bit more spontaneous about my eating and drinking, and no injections to worry about! Plus, do I need to worry about dropping low, I wonder? I hate having to carry stuff around with me - normally that would just be a camera, but this time I'll need both pens, needles, meter gubbins etc., plus a bag of jelly babies ot be on the safe side. I suspect I'll end up running quite high levels (for me), but it's only one day and I intend to enjoy it!:D

Have a lovely time and dont forget to enjoy yourself !!! eat drink and be merry !! you can always correct later on if you are out of your comfort zone with regards to your levels . :D

Northerner, enjoy yourself and let your hair down for one day! Your always within range - so one day wont hurt! Would you ever consider a pump? I havent heard you mention one before so i assumed you didnt like the idea.🙂 Bev

My enthusiasm for a pump is growing, as I read Patricia's thread about it. They wouldn't give me one though, as my control is too good on MDI. Yes, I know that that shouldn't come into it, but the budgets are limited and I'm sure there are many people ahead of me who are finding control far more difficult and are more deserving.:(

Have a lovely time and dont forget to enjoy yourself !!! eat drink and be merry !! you can always correct later on if you are out of your comfort zone with regards to your levels . :D

Thanks anne-marie! I'll have to wear a suit too - ugh! I'm such a jeans, t-shirt and trainers person!😱:D

Have a great time and don't worry too much about your levels if they go too high. You can always do a Phil Collins and wear a t-shirt and trainers with the suit! - Not! I'm going to a wedding next weekend and will get my legs out and actually don a dress or skirt and put the old jeans away (if I can find one of those body-shaper things to hold everything in) - that'll shock-em!

Have a great time and don't worry too much about your levels if they go too high. You can always do a Phil Collins and wear a t-shirt and trainers with the suit! - Not! I'm going to a wedding next weekend and will get my legs out and actually don a dress or skirt and put the old jeans away (if I can find one of those body-shaper things to hold everything in) - that'll shock-em!

The dress or skirt was an option, but I didn't want to upstage the bride...😉:D

I was 3.7 before bed last night, grrr!!! I had a slice of bread and peanut butter and a couple of JBs and woke to 4.9 this morning. I think that I am staying pretty steady through the night now, which is a relief. Looking back on a lot of my earlier posts here, many of them were about night hypos, but fingers crossed I have overcome that problem - for the time being anyway!:D

Thanks anne-marie! I'll have to wear a suit too - ugh! I'm such a jeans, t-shirt and trainers person!😱:D

Woooo a suit !!!!! you''ll have to post a pic so we can see :D , well I dont think they would be best pleased if you did turn up in jeans and t-shirt , but how funny if you did !!! ha ha the faces would be a picture!! Have a great time !!! We will try and behave while you are gone 😉 well I will anyway, I cant vouch for those reprobates though .

The dress or skirt was an option, but I didn't want to upstage the bride...😉:D
Ha ha, wouldn't surprise me if your legs are sexier than mine, even if (hopefully) hairier!

glad the night-time hypos have dissapeared.

Well, the wedding all went off well -a wonderful day! It all took place in a beautiful medieval hall and its grounds, the bride was utterly gorgeous, the speeches were funny and the company was great - met up with a lot of people that I've lost touch with over the past couple of years.

It was an awkward sort of day for a diabetic on MDI. I had a latish breakfast as I knew we wouldn't be sitting down to the wedding breakfast until around 3 pm, even so that was quite a while after my breakfast at 9:30. There was wine and canap?s after the ceremony at around 1:30, but I didn't bolus for that - it would have been far too fiddly, and they weren't all served at once, but rather gradually introduced over the next hour or so. As a consequence (most probably the duck spring rolls!), I was quite high when I sat down to the meal. I didn't know everyone at the table, but I discussed what had happened the previous year and about the Stockholm Marathon etc. A couple of them knew people that had recently been diagnosed and they knew a little, but asked me to explain the difference between Type 1 and 2.

Then, when the food was served I asked the people if they minded me injecting at the table. They didn't mind, but thanked me for my consideration and just let me get on with it, so that was good - it would have been a bit of a disruption to leave the table and dining hall to go and do it.

After the meal there was tea and cake. I had the tea without sugar and saved the cake - this was around 5:15pm. At around 7:30 the evening do started, and the buffet came out at around 8:15. I was around 11.5 mmol/l. I didn't have a lot of carbs on my plate - mostly quiche, salad and cold meats, so took quite a small bolus. Plus, of course, I was drinking beer. I took my basal at the normal time - around 10:30. I got home at around 1:30 am and was 9.0, went to bed about an hour later and tested again - I was 7.0. I woke up to 6.9 this morning.

So, for me, I was above my range all day, but my highest was 13.5, so I don't think I did too badly, and it was only one day! I should get back on track today!

Well, the wedding all went off well -a wonderful day! It all took place in a beautiful medieval hall and its grounds, the bride was utterly gorgeous, the speeches were funny and the company was great - met up with a lot of people that I've lost touch with over the past couple of years.

It was an awkward sort of day for a diabetic on MDI. I had a latish breakfast as I knew we wouldn't be sitting down to the wedding breakfast until around 3 pm, even so that was quite a while after my breakfast at 9:30. There was wine and canap?s after the ceremony at around 1:30, but I didn't bolus for that - it would have been far too fiddly, and they weren't all served at once, but rather gradually introduced over the next hour or so. As a consequence (most probably the duck spring rolls!), I was quite high when I sat down to the meal. I didn't know everyone at the table, but I discussed what had happened the previous year and about the Stockholm Marathon etc. A couple of them knew people that had recently been diagnosed and they knew a little, but asked me to explain the difference between Type 1 and 2.

Then, when the food was served I asked the people if they minded me injecting at the table. They didn't mind, but thanked me for my consideration and just let me get on with it, so that was good - it would have been a bit of a disruption to leave the table and dining hall to go and do it.

After the meal there was tea and cake. I had the tea without sugar and saved the cake - this was around 5:15pm. At around 7:30 the evening do started, and the buffet came out at around 8:15. I was around 11.5 mmol/l. I didn't have a lot of carbs on my plate - mostly quiche, salad and cold meats, so took quite a small bolus. Plus, of course, I was drinking beer. I took my basal at the normal time - around 10:30. I got home at around 1:30 am and was 9.0, went to bed about an hour later and tested again - I was 7.0. I woke up to 6.9 this morning.

So, for me, I was above my range all day, but my highest was 13.5, so I don't think I did too badly, and it was only one day! I should get back on track today!

Well done for surviving what could have been a diabetic disaster day !! those levels are good considering all the sitting around and indulgence . Hey where are the pics of you in a suit then young man??? post them now!!!! 🙂

Well done for surviving what could have been a diabetic disaster day !! those levels are good considering all the sitting around and indulgence . Hey where are the pics of you in a suit then young man??? post them now!!!! 🙂

If you insist...:D

KJWedd_0008.jpg

Very nice photo northerner 🙂 is that your sister??

Well done on keeping the levels below 15 :D

My DSN would have been perfectly happy with your readings - well done! Hope I do as well as you next weekend when i goto my neice's wedding 'up north' next weekend. You do look alike (your sister and you), but I still think you would have cut a dash in a dress!

My DSN would have been perfectly happy with your readings - well done! Hope I do as well as you next weekend when i goto my neice's wedding 'up north' next weekend. You do look alike (your sister and you), but I still think you would have cut a dash in a dress!

Didn't want to upstage the sibling! Whereabouts oop north are you going? Say 'Sithe by gum, tha gurt gormless clart 'eead' to them for me!'

Northerner,
You and your sister look great! Obviously have good genes! Hope you had a nice day and enjoyed yourself.:DBev

Didn't want to upstage the sibling! Whereabouts oop north are you going? Say 'Sithe by gum, tha gurt gormless clart 'eead' to them for me!'

Leeds, but don't worry, I've got my passport. Will they turn round and thump me if I say that to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back