No Carbers/ low Carbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thanks for that , it does clarify things for me . I do always make a point
of telling people that this is a personal choice of mine and is not suitable for everyone as we are all different . people need to make choices on their individual needs , and what works for me may not be a good dietary choice for them . thanks for not moderating me 😱

I think one of the great things about this site is that there is virtually nothing to moderate - everyone is so friendly and considerate and willing to help others. I am also a moderator on a depression site, and there can be some monstrous people turning up there, 'trolls', who deliberately try to goad and upset people.:(

It's really not a problem anne-marie. I think what dodger referred to was the impact one of his much earlier posts may have had on newly-diagnosed and Type 1 members (can't remember offhand, it wasn't me who yellow-carded him!) Forgive me Dodger, if I'm maligning you! Low-carbing can be a contentious issue and not suitable for all, so you need to be careful about telling people (who are probably already confused and distressed at their diagnosis) that the advice from their doctor is incorrect - it can be very upsetting to hear. A discussion where people put their viewpoint and relate their own experiences, on the other hand, is tremendously useful in broadening people's education about the condition and possibly giving them other options they were previously unaware of because it's not 'official' policy of NHS and DUK.
Dear Northerner,
Thanks for your thought, I will enjoy my holiday. You were correct, it was Admin who did the brushing and quite right too. I do sometimes get overzealous in my communications, although my worse excesses are reserved for DUK. What infuriates me about them is that some of the time they just ignore me - even when I say things like their policies are killing us type 2s. This ofcourse is OTT but it was done partly to see if they would respond - they never did!

Warmest Regards Dodger

I think one of the great things about this site is that there is virtually nothing to moderate - everyone is so friendly and considerate and willing to help others. I am also a moderator on a depression site, and there can be some monstrous people turning up there, 'trolls', who deliberately try to goad and upset people.:(

Wow really ? how do you become a moderator ? I could do with joining the

depression site for my black diabetic moods swings . I dont undertand people

who deliberately try to offend and upset people , they must have major issues.

hi! Im low carber as well, I still eat brown bread but thats it. I eat everything my husband eats but replace the rice, pasta and potatoes with brocolli. I just didnt get on with pasta as it took ages to work out the insulin for it and then it was never quite right and got a spike afterwards! i dont get that with veg!

I do get a spike with steak though to be honest. Ive noticed it a couple of times i cant explain it though

hi! Im low carber as well, I still eat brown bread but thats it. I eat everything my husband eats but replace the rice, pasta and potatoes with brocolli. I just didnt get on with pasta as it took ages to work out the insulin for it and then it was never quite right and got a spike afterwards! i dont get that with veg!

I do get a spike with steak though to be honest. Ive noticed it a couple of times i cant explain it though

Hi sugarfreerach , good to see another Low Carber in the thread ,Welcome !!

I dont seem to get a spike with steak , I think it must be an individual thing ,

if on the otherhand I have a slice of bread , even brown / granary I shoot up

in to the 20's so to me it isnt worth the extra correction doses needed.

Dear sugarfreerach,

I have never heard of or experienced a spike when eating steak which is at least once a week! It just illustrates that we are all different - could it be that you have "trimmings" with your steak e.g. tomatoe, onion rings in batter etc?

Regards Dodger

I was just thinking the same thing :confused: , I had a spike after a Prawn

salad once and tracked it down to a teaspoon of mayo that I had as dressing.

I also have steak at least once a week , I usually have mine with mushrooms

and brocolli , sometimes Stilton mmm:D

Dear Anne-Marie,

Now you've started me salivering for a steak with stilton yummy yummy

Warmest Regards Dodger

I didnt know mayo had carbs in? Luckily Alex doesnt eat it anyway! :D Bev

Dear Anne-Marie,

Now you've started me salivering for a steak with stilton yummy yummy

Warmest Regards Dodger

I will think of you while eating mine tomorrow then Dodger :D

I just thought I would mention this to us Low/ No carbers and anyone else who likes Seafood , while doing some reading Ive just seen that although
Prawns are Low Sugar , Low Fat and no Carbs , they are quite high in Cholesterol , Squid is also the same . all other Sea Food is low Cholesterol though. Sea Food is full of zinc , calcium ,Iron , Iodine and Magnesium so very good for a healthy balanced diet and very good for those of us who restrict Carbs .

Low carb

Hi there!

Enjoyed reading all the comments and opinions, plus all the kind offers of advice, thank you all.
It seems that the best way forward for me, is to read the book recommendation, to see if this would be the way forward for me. I am type 1 so obviously, as some of you have mentioned, this diet is better for type 2 rather than type 1. However, I'll read and try to understand how it all works, and then perhaps it might just suit me!!!? Thanks a million folks.🙂

Hi there!

Enjoyed reading all the comments and opinions, plus all the kind offers of advice, thank you all.
It seems that the best way forward for me, is to read the book recommendation, to see if this would be the way forward for me. I am type 1 so obviously, as some of you have mentioned, this diet is better for type 2 rather than type 1. However, I'll read and try to understand how it all works, and then perhaps it might just suit me!!!? Thanks a million folks.🙂

Hi Rubymurry , I'm a type 1 and have been doing this a while now with brilliant results , so much better than when I was filling up on Carbs like my dsn told me to do. It is a good idea to read up on the subject ,but as myself and Dodger have said we would both be more than happy to help you as much as we can . If you need any help or just to ask a question then one of us is ususally about or feel free to pm me if you prefer.

best wishes Anne-Marie

Very interesting thread, thank you for everyone for sharing their expereinces and offering advice.
I do really want to read Jenny's book, I will have to check out the library. I think that it might be useful for everyone if it's anything like her website. She is a very nice lady and I've had several emails from her.

I have considered going low carb, I do find that I have better blood sugars when I reduce carbs to less than 100g per day. And I could probably drop the novorapid if I went low carb all the time (I am not a type 1 so do have some insulin production, so am able to do this) However I can't eat like it long term, I like varied carb diet.

Very interesting thread, thank you for everyone for sharing their expereinces and offering advice.
I do really want to read Jenny's book, I will have to check out the library. I think that it might be useful for everyone if it's anything like her website. She is a very nice lady and I've had several emails from her.

I have considered going low carb, I do find that I have better blood sugars when I reduce carbs to less than 100g per day. And I could probably drop the novorapid if I went low carb all the time (I am not a type 1 so do have some insulin production, so am able to do this) However I can't eat like it long term, I like varied carb diet.

It is easier than you think , really it is .I have absolutely no willpower when it comes to giving things up !! I have found it so easy that I have shocked myself to be honest , I thought I would last a week and give up. It is quite surprising how much other food there is to eat when you get away from the whole Carbs for every meal scene. As a side effect there is the bonus of weight loss , without trying I have lost another half a stone , all weight I had gained from feeding my insulin with Carbs 😱.

I've slowly been absorbing what some you you guys/gals have been preeching and cheers for the tips, I've almost had 3 low carb meals this weekend (not sure what tea is gonna be yet!) and I've enjoyed them, but is this scheme easier in summer when more in season salad etc? I'll go back and read the rest of the thread as so many of you have thanked people for their comments, so thanks.

I've slowly been absorbing what some you you guys/gals have been preeching and cheers for the tips, I've almost had 3 low carb meals this weekend (not sure what tea is gonna be yet!) and I've enjoyed them, but is this scheme easier in summer when more in season salad etc? I'll go back and read the rest of the thread as so many of you have thanked people for their comments, so thanks.

Hi Rossi , the weather should not really make a difference to be honest , I only have the odd salad , I tend to eat a lot of Chicken Breast and Steak , its not all salads and stuff like that !! I eat roast dinners but without the potatoes , maybe an extra vegetable. Well done with the low Carb meals you have had today though , take it one meal at a time .

Hi Rossi , the weather should not really make a difference to be honest , I only have the odd salad , I tend to eat a lot of Chicken Breast and Steak , its not all salads and stuff like that !! I eat roast dinners but without the potatoes , maybe an extra vegetable. Well done with the low Carb meals you have had today though , take it one meal at a time .

Great read peeps.

Cheers I'll take it slow, and may be asking you and dodger q's later.

Only prob is I planted 4 grow bags of potatoes end of April and I was looking forward to eating them doh! maybe I'll just have a few and make them last.

First Q...
Quote from page 3 of this thread...

The fats you eat do not raise your blood sugar at all. Technically speaking, protein can raise your blood sugar because your liver is able to convert about 58% of the protein you eat to carbohydrate. But since it takes up to seven hours to digest dietary protein and turn it into glucose, the only people who see a rise in blood sugar after eating protein are those whose diabetes is so severe that they have no beta cell function left at all. So it is unlikely that eating protein will cause an observable rise in your blood sugar...? The important point here is that the process starts soon after you eat protein and is complete after about seven hours ? so no glucose spike! For type 1s this low rate of input of glucose does not have to be factored into your carbohydrate calculations.

the bit which I've highlighted, is that basically type 1's or do we still heave some function??

Great read peeps.

Cheers I'll take it slow, and may be asking you and dodger q's later.

Only prob is I planted 4 grow bags of potatoes end of April and I was looking forward to eating them doh! maybe I'll just have a few and make them last.

First Q...
Quote from page 3 of this thread...

The fats you eat do not raise your blood sugar at all. Technically speaking, protein can raise your blood sugar because your liver is able to convert about 58% of the protein you eat to carbohydrate. But since it takes up to seven hours to digest dietary protein and turn it into glucose, the only people who see a rise in blood sugar after eating protein are those whose diabetes is so severe that they have no beta cell function left at all. So it is unlikely that eating protein will cause an observable rise in your blood sugar...” The important point here is that the process starts soon after you eat protein and is complete after about seven hours – so no glucose spike! For type 1s this low rate of input of glucose does not have to be factored into your carbohydrate calculations.

the bit which I've highlighted, is that basically type 1's or do we still heave some function??

Yes good point Rossi , well you would think that would mean type 1 but if you read below that comment it does say that type 1's do not have to calculate for this as the input rate is low, meaning it is slow and gradual rather than a major hit that you would get with Carbs . so you would not have to calculate this in to your insulin requirements. Dodger is actually away on holiday at the moment but will be back soon and is a mine of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back