NHS Low Calorie Diet - Type 2 Remission Programme - Oviva (aka Newcastle)

Yes definitely but i am getting blurred vision. now so will that rectify itself once i get it right?

It should do. Elevated blood glucose levels can gradually change the shape of the eyeball, because of different ‘osmotic pressure’ (I think!)

The brain adapts over time to keep vision sharp - but if levels change rapidly, and the eyeball returns to original shape it takes a while for the brain to adjust back. usually just a month or two while levels are settling.

Well that's me out then. I'm too flipping old. Good grief talk about on the scrapheap.

Have to be 18-65 to be eligible…doesn’t stop you doing your own version of it though…

I did the Oviva programme 2 years ago and found it really useful. At that time I found it helpful to log all of my meals etc which helped to keep me on track. Would have loved that programme to have lasted for more than 12 weeks and have a better maintenance to support me further though as I worked really hard to lose just over 1.5 stone in 3 months!
Turns out 2 years later having put my Diabetes into remission, I let ‘things’ slip. Determined to do better this time round as I’ve got a year to sort myself out.
Looking to lose at least 2.5 stone but I know this is a jog not a sprint and of course the icing on the cake (no pun intended) would be to be in remission as I was before!
Feeling ok on the shakes and soups so far, would have liked a bit more variety though.
HbA1c September 2021 - 51
HbA1c February 2022 - 36
Started Diabetes to Remission 11th January 2024

Good luck on your journey, may it be a lifelong one for the better!

the Oviva course I did lasted a year...I lost 21Kg in 3 months, the 9 months remaining were filled with maintanance, learning all about food al over again, and finding a new long lasting better relationship with food as well as then fuelling my body for running, and learning more and more each day and still learning nearly 3 years later!

There's lots I could say, but it's your journey - remember it's a Marathon not a sprint!! - The 3 Half Marathon's I did last year taught me exactly that - be steady, get to the finish, keep going and keep learning!! some days will be better than others, but it's the long game that counts, not the little blips..!

keep us posted on how you get on!!

Good luck on your journey, may it be a lifelong one for the better!

the Oviva course I did lasted a year...I lost 21Kg in 3 months, the 9 months remaining were filled with maintanance, learning all about food al over again, and finding a new long lasting better relationship with food as well as then fuelling my body for running, and learning more and more each day and still learning nearly 3 years later!

There's lots I could say, but it's your journey - remember it's a Marathon not a sprint!! - The 3 Half Marathon's I did last year taught me exactly that - be steady, get to the finish, keep going and keep learning!! some days will be better than others, but it's the long game that counts, not the little blips..!

keep us posted on how you get on!!
It took me years of obliviously eating and drinking my way through whatever I wanted like a lot of us have done before I realised I had a problem. The signs were all there though, family on both sides had T2D, I was pre diabetic for some time, on statins and high BP.

I really love the Oviva app. It fits in with my lifestyle and I know it works because it did before albeit for just 3 months, especially love learning as I’m such a geek And always have a quest for knowledge.

I know that there are going to be bumps in the road and as you’ve said, it‘s a marathon not a sprint, getting to that finish line is a good aim but not the only aim, for me it is about life long learning, changing bad habits into better ones!

Well done you on your success. It must feel amazing!

Just read the thread from start to finish, has filed me with confidence so thank you Kreator and everyone else. The doctor called this morning after my latest results. After doing ok when first diagnosed in August 2022 have gone completely off the rails and back up to HbA1 55 now. I am actually surprised its not worse than that so I guess that's one thing to be thankful for. I have been offered the Oviva program and I bit their hand off, doctor already sent through the links and is referring me. I need some discipline. I feel a little embarrassed that its free given that its me that got myself into this but I am looking forward to starting and hopefully wont be too long before I can.

I feel a little embarrassed that its free given that its me that got myself into this but I am looking forward to starting and hopefully wont be too long before I can.
you got yourself into this ? Diabetes? Do you blame type 2 as if their fault ? ….

I meant as in if I had stuck to my healthy eating plan which within three months took me down to pre diabetes levels then I do believe that it would have improved further rather than being back up at 55. I do hold myself responsible for being here in the first place. I should have five something about my weight a while ago.
I know this is not the case for everyone but pretty sure it was for me.

I meant as in if I had stuck to my healthy eating plan which within three months took me down to pre diabetes levels then I do believe that it would have improved further rather than being back up at 55. I do hold myself responsible for being here in the first place. I should have five something about my weight a while ago.
I know this is not the case for everyone but pretty sure it was for me.
And yet some people argue, the late Jenny Ruhl for example, that you don't get Type 2 because you got fat but rather that you got fat because you had Type 2 for 5 to 10 years before formal diagnosis or at least the genes for it, the Metabolic Syndrome and Insulin Resistance depositing unused glucose and insulin as fat.

And yet some people argue, the late Jenny Ruhl for example, that you don't get Type 2 because you got fat but rather that you got fat because you had Type 2 for 5 to 10 years before formal diagnosis or at least the genes for it, the Metabolic Syndrome and Insulin Resistance depositing unused glucose and insulin as fat.

Ah ok. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on which way you look at it, I am under no illusion that I am responsible for this. I guess that if this is the case then atleast I am in control and can do something about it.

Ah ok. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on which way you look at it, I am under no illusion that I am responsible for this. I guess that if this is the case then atleast I am in control and can do something about it.
I think that for some people it is important and perhaps empowering to take responsibility.

I am pretty sure that my sugar addiction (and stress) led to my Type 1 diagnosis. I knew that I was pushing my luck with my diet and I could clearly do something about it because I now do, in that following a low carb way of eating, gives me much more control and I eat far less than I did before and the sugar addiction is under control. People will say that poor diet cannot cause Type 1 but I am convinced that my beta cells were under strain from my diet and that made then vulnerable to attack from my immune system. This feeling of guilt that I brought this upon myself is what has helped me to gain control of it, so I have used it in a very positive way. Yes, I need insulin, but I still needed to gain control of my diet and that sense of being responsible for my diagnosis has given me the power to change. It hasn't been easy but it has been a very important step in my journey with diabetes. If I just blame genetics or my immune system I become a powerless victim, my taking responsibility and acknowledging my role in causing it, I also gain power in dealing with it.

This is the best attitude to have, you’re in control, you have this 😉

I think that for some people it is important and perhaps empowering to take responsibility.

I am pretty sure that my sugar addiction (and stress) led to my Type 1 diagnosis. I knew that I was pushing my luck with my diet and I could clearly do something about it because I now do, in that following a low carb way of eating, gives me much more control and I eat far less than I did before and the sugar addiction is under control. People will say that poor diet cannot cause Type 1 but I am convinced that my beta cells were under strain from my diet and that made then vulnerable to attack from my immune system. This feeling of guilt that I brought this upon myself is what has helped me to gain control of it, so I have used it in a very positive way. Yes, I need insulin, but I still needed to gain control of my diet and that sense of being responsible for my diagnosis has given me the power to change. It hasn't been easy but it has been a very important step in my journey with diabetes. If I just blame genetics or my immune system I become a powerless victim, my taking responsibility and acknowledging my role in causing it, I also gain power in dealing with it.
It makes me want to lose control. It really makes me feel more down. Others don’t deprive themselves and are thin and some eat a lot snd are thin.

Indeed, since being diagnosed myself I've analysed myself in ways I'd never imagined in terms of relationship with food, and gradually found a happy medium, but could never quite go that extra mile until starting the shakes - the break from food has given me the opportunity to really start that relationship all over again, which I think at the moment I can see the wood through the trees - only time will tell, but for sure, Mediterranean seems to be the way for me also...

I had been on Statins up until a couple of weeks ago until I asked my GP if I could stop based on lifestyle changes - so no meds currently and more to the point no symptoms either...

I feel for me It's a life journey not a race, and whatever works for the individual is the key
This Is exactly what I'm hoping for as I've just started the diet just over a week ago. I'm hopeful that the break from food for me, will change the bad habits I've formed.

It should do. Elevated blood glucose levels can gradually change the shape of the eyeball, because of different ‘osmotic pressure’ (I think!)

The brain adapts over time to keep vision sharp - but if levels change rapidly, and the eyeball returns to original shape it takes a while for the brain to adjust back. usually just a month or two while levels are settling.

High blood sugar over a period of time can lead to glaucoma,
The vision goes blurry because it affects the lens.

This Is exactly what I'm hoping for as I've just started the diet just over a week ago. I'm hopeful that the break from food for me, will change the bad habits I've formed.
It certainly changed me that's for sure...!

I almost can't believe it's just over 3 years since I took part in the initial pilot - time flies!

over 3 years on and I now run regularly...so much so that food is more a 'fuel' for my runs generally these days whilst still allowing myself space to enjoy the odd treat now & again - my journey hasn't ended, I'm only 3 years in, i'm still learning every day, and enjoying the new found freedom and enjoyment the whole process has given me!

There'll be good times, bad times, times you'll think uh, i'm just gonna eat that dessert - it's fine...just not every day - don't beat yourself up if it doesn't go right each time - it's all a learning curve and life's a rather large journey in itself - enjoy!

Back