It takes all sorts...

Lindarose

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
I deleted my FB account as using the scroll down on my iPhone I kept accidentally inviting people I didn't know to be my friend! And also sent what I thought was a personal message to my sister and it went on the main stream! Could have been worse but worried me that I'm not always sure what I'm doing!!!:eek:

Carolg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Me too northerner. Happy if you tell me if I cross any lines. Thanks

Carol F

Relationship to Diabetes
It's the SNP for me, they are using funds from the NHS for other purposes. So many hospitals are under funded.
Couldn't agree more...group of morans...diverting cash for all sorts..gaelic road signs!!..the list goes on..

James 048

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
...to make a forum! Many people who come here may be using a forum for the first time, and often that can leave them unprepared if they encounter responses to their posts that they may find jarring or unsympathetic. Like any group of people anywhere, members are very diverse in character, and it's often not easy to spot nuances in language and presentation through text-only messages - there are no visual clues, or aural ones, so you just have to go on content and any prior experience of a particular person's writing style to determine if they are 'joking' or not. It's an age-old problem, and the chances of misinterpreting things are generally higher the greater emotional state the person reading may be.

Because of this I would like to ask that members bear these facts in mind, in posting, reading and responding - try and always put yourself in the other person's shoes, and if it conjures up any doubts about what you want to say, and how, then try and think of how you might reword things.

Remember always that this is a support forum and by that very fact people posting may be nervous, frightened, confused - or of course, confident, no-nonsense and brash. As I said, it takes all sorts, but try always to be first and foremost supportive :) Above all, no personal insults or inflammatory statements - nothing wrong with rational, passionate debate, but not directed at individuals, such posts will be removed by the moderators. :eek:

If you find that you don't like a particular member's style then I would urge you to use the 'People I ignore' option on your profile settings: you can input member names and then no longer see content from that member.

Hope this helps! :)

NB See also:

General courtesy guidelines when posting
Hi Northerner
Could not agree more , its so easy sometimes to be tempted to answer thread ,especially late at night when there ain't many of the gang online to respond right away. I must be honest and say without the wisdom,kindness and time from forum members i would not be were I am today as my gp gave me empty toolbox and the members filled it with the tools I hadn't got . minds me alot of my main hobby in life (Amatuer radio ) .
The secret was to listen and learn and also do your homework before you lifted microphone to talk .
Hope you family and friends are having good weekend

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Couldn't agree more...group of morans...diverting cash for all sorts..gaelic road signs!!..the list goes on..
As the (probably) token SNP member on the forum, I have to say that despite having sampled most of the hospitals in Glasgow and Dunbartonshire, I've nether seen nor experienced any evidence that hospitals are collapsing under the strain in the same way as in England. We just don't have the expensive tiers of management that exist in NHS England. We are lucky to be living in Scotland.

As far as road signs go, I hardly notice it, living on a bilingual island. Don't you like living in Dùn Tòchair? (Just teasing)

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well a guide to pronunciation would be handy whether it's in Gaelic, Welsh or Catalan. I mean for years I always thought we went into 'Simroo' until I found out we really went to Cumree as we travelled to eg Abersoch (abber sock in English, dunno in Welsh) or Morfa Dyfryn (More-fa Diffrin - but really More-va Duff-rin) - but there again I have known for ages that Dun Laoghaire is Dunleary but hadn't a clue for years before my mate (Ma from and family in Dublin) told me!

And how do people pronounce Mr Cholmondely-Warner - do they all realise it's Mr Chumley-W?

robert@fm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well a guide to pronunciation would be handy whether it's in Gaelic, Welsh or Catalan. I mean for years I always thought we went into 'Simroo' until I found out we really went to Cumree as we travelled to eg Abersoch (abber sock in English, dunno in Welsh) or Morfa Dyfryn (More-fa Diffrin - but really More-va Duff-rin) - but there again I have known for ages that Dun Laoghaire is Dunleary but hadn't a clue for years before my mate (Ma from and family in Dublin) told me!

And how do people pronounce Mr Cholmondely-Warner - do they all realise it's Mr Chumley-W?
For my part, I have been wondering how @SadhbhFiadh pronounces her user name; I know that the Gaelic "bh" is equivalent to the English "v" (hence our no-longer-posting member @shiv whose real name is Siobhan; I wonder what became of her), but beyond that I haven't a clue. :confused: (The English are notoriously poor linguists, our @Northerner being one exception; possibly because our language is so difficult to learn, most of us don't bother with any other.)

SadhbhFiadh

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sounds like SIGH-VE but most people spell it Siabh. It used to be b with a little dot over it, then they changed those accent marks to the H. That's more than you wanted to know! EVER! LOL
Anglicized is Sally or Sarah. :)
PS - Fiadh is just Fia

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I never knew shiv's name was Siobhan - I worked with a girl years ago who had a friend called that and she was always saying her name so one day I said, what an unusual name (I'd not heard it before not personally mixing in Irish circles - only by chance and surroundings, not from any desire not to LOL) how does she spell that? and was gobsmacked when told!

I hadn't the slightest idea where Sadhbh hailed from - thought it must be a LOT further away than Erin ! LOL

SadhbhFiadh

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When I was very young, I wanted to be called Sarah, because the name means princess. But then I discovered Sidhbh was a goddess! So I was no longer interested in "Sarah!"

Nomad

...to make a forum! Many people who come here may be using a forum for the first time, and often that can leave them unprepared if they encounter responses to their posts that they may find jarring or unsympathetic. Like any group of people anywhere, members are very diverse in character, and it's often not easy to spot nuances in language and presentation through text-only messages - there are no visual clues, or aural ones, so you just have to go on content and any prior experience of a particular person's writing style to determine if they are 'joking' or not. It's an age-old problem, and the chances of misinterpreting things are generally higher the greater emotional state the person reading may be.

Because of this I would like to ask that members bear these facts in mind, in posting, reading and responding - try and always put yourself in the other person's shoes, and if it conjures up any doubts about what you want to say, and how, then try and think of how you might reword things.

Remember always that this is a support forum and by that very fact people posting may be nervous, frightened, confused - or of course, confident, no-nonsense and brash. As I said, it takes all sorts, but try always to be first and foremost supportive :) Above all, no personal insults or inflammatory statements - nothing wrong with rational, passionate debate, but not directed at individuals, such posts will be removed by the moderators. :eek:

If you find that you don't like a particular member's style then I would urge you to use the 'People I ignore' option on your profile settings: you can input member names and then no longer see content from that member.
Hope this helps! :)

NB See also:

General courtesy guidelines when posting
From what I have seen so far (and that isn't a lot), the majority of people here are well mannered, sympathetic and helpful towards a new member, particularly somebody who has been newly diagnosed. My experience so far has been a real education and diabetes for many is an extremely frightening time, such is reflected in a post I read only today. Unfortunately there will always be wind-ups and ignorant oafs who have no idea of the consequences of their actions. So to any newbie (those needing help and advice) who might happen to read this, have a good look at the member's avatar, well known or well liked will give you an idea of whether or not you are likely to get helpful advice.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sometimes one or another member will disagree with what someone else has said. Unfortunately some people express their difference by attacking whoever said it - perhaps not this strong but 'You must be an idiot if you believe that!' type of nuance in their words - rather than 'Oh Nomad, I don't think you've interpreted that quite right, if I understand the circumstances you've outlined properly - my understanding was that 2 plus 2 makes four, not 5 as you have said - what do others think?' LOL

It should always be possible to agree to disagree, if persuasion doesn't do it - and not fall out ! However that always supposes that both people want to stay on 'speaking' terms LOL

MikeW59

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I'm a new member trying to get to grips with my recent type-2 diagnosis and at the same time navigate around this site and my thoughts on this are to treat everyone with the same respect that you wish to receive yourself.

Many of you have a wealth of experience that I the new member can learn from, that's why I registered on the site in the first place.
Some of my own concerns may seem petty given the magnitude of the issues at hand but to me they are real.
I for one appreciate the reply's, look to learn from them and adjust my management of my type-2 to suit.

In every walk of life a tosser will come along occasionally, often they can be ignored but sometimes you just have to tell them. But do it gently because everyone hurts sometimes.

Mike

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I'm a new member trying to get to grips with my recent type-2 diagnosis and at the same time navigate around this site and my thoughts on this are to treat everyone with the same respect that you wish to receive yourself.

Many of you have a wealth of experience that I the new member can learn from, that's why I registered on the site in the first place.
Some of my own concerns may seem petty given the magnitude of the issues at hand but to me they are real.
I for one appreciate the reply's, look to learn from them and adjust my management of my type-2 to suit.

In every walk of life a tosser will come along occasionally, often they can be ignored but sometimes you just have to tell them. But do it gently because everyone hurts sometimes.

Mike
Well said. :)

MikeTurin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sometimes one or another member will disagree with what someone else has said. Unfortunately some people express their difference by attacking whoever said it
I suppose that one of the problems is that a lot of people experiences on "telematics" is only wia their Facebook or Whatsapp on their smartphone.
Using Prestel or BBS systems was a completely different experience, setting up a a PC to connect was a difficult task and because of this the communities were smaller and more closed.
Even using internet with USENET or mailing list was different, all was more compact. (Hey the home page of diabetes.co.uk is 1.1MB, more than the 8088 address space)
Trolls and wacky people were always present, but due the more compact status of the BBS and early Internet world, was way more easy technically deal with them, and even socially,
I hope to still be able to manage rude people... but for a telematics newbie could be harder, and RFC 1855 sounds awfully outdated.
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good grief Mike - well predates my use of puters - apart from 'dumb' terminals to access info stored on the company's IBM mainframe ( that starred in one of the Bond movies, showing the disks spinning at speeds unknown to real computer engineers ROFLMAO - took em ages to program it to do that - apparently, nudging forward c.5mm every c. 9 minutes which was it's normal rate of progress wasn't considered exciting enough for Dr No's laboratory or wherever it was sposed to be!) and my boss built himself a Sinclair Spectrum when they came out and later a friend bought a BBC one - mainly for its WP abilities for Newsletters and the like - since she was an IT teacher in a senior school, where she also organised school skiing trips etc and schools used BBC ones.

Ages before I had one though, a while before they invented the internet - again for WP and spreadsheet capabilities more than anything as I was treasurer of a Club and needed to keep accounts plus send out annual subscription demands etc.

Most people using the internet today wouldn't even know the word Netiquette had ever been coined - let alone the advice it contains!!