• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

It takes all sorts...

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
for example if I want to check/complain or query information given to me by the diabetic Nurse at the GP surgery
If they take offence at you checking information, or becoming an informed patient ... I'm trying to think of a socially acceptable way of saying offend away.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Annemarie - not much point in beating around the bush - we're all dealing with a condition which is factual, the trick being identifying between how we absolutely have to treat it and where we each have options. Diabetes can actually be a reasonably comfortable companion to share your life with - once you've accepted that you are obliged to play by its rules ...... mostly.
(Then you can occasionally afford to enjoy time off for good behaviour ;))

5 of us all at school together so roughly the same age as you and I - are quite likely to call each other 'You daft old bat!' - but beware anyone else calling any of us it.

Reactions: Ljc

Annemarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@trophywench I like your humour, you remind me of when I lived in Yorkshire (Sheffield) so easy to communicate but don’t ask for an opinion unless you’re prepared for an honest answer!

Reactions: Ljc

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Exactly !

Neither I nor my 4 schoolmates hail from oop north - all firmly rooted in West Bromwich originally (so Staffordshire then) though one escaped firstly to Gloucester and later to nearer Bristol; 4 of us became more countrified to Worcestershire and I then moved just into Warwickshire. (Don't even think about ever calling us Brummies, either!)

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
how can I be sure that person wouldn’t access my concerns and take offence?

I believe there's a rule about naming people. Most people use generic terms, like "my diabetic nurse" or "my GP".

Indeed we do. You are not permitted to name specific HCPs in the Forum Guidelines - even if you wanted to post glowing praise... because there’s always the chance someone may come along later who felt they had a very different experience, and as moderators we would have no way of knowing what happened, or unpicking the story.

I think the best bet in posting any comments about another individual online is always to only ever post what you would happily say to their face, or write in an email to them.

You don’t have to agree with everyone, and there will be clashes or personality, but you can still respect each other and treat each other with kindness.

Annemarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Indeed we do. You are not permitted to name specific HCPs in the Forum Guidelines - even if you wanted to post glowing praise... because there’s always the chance someone may come along later who felt they had a very different experience, and as moderators we would have no way of knowing what happened, or unpicking the story.

I think the best bet in posting any comments about another individual online is always to only ever post what you would happily say to their face, or write in an email to them.

You don’t have to agree with everyone, and there will be clashes or personality, but you can still respect each other and treat each other with kindness.
Very true, thank you