Insulin pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! And my HbA1C hasn’t changed!

Congrats on that too. Well done!

That's good. I've been following this because im interested(still to afaird to a)i know people on here say its too toom. I do have reasons for wanting to try it.

Congrats on that too. Well done!
Thanks
That's good. I've been following this because im interested(still to afaird to a)i know people on here say its too toom. I do have reasons for wanting to try it.
If there’s one thing I’ve leant from this forum, it’s don’t be afraid to ask as the worst your doctor can say is no!

Thanks

If there’s one thing I’ve leant from this forum, it’s don’t be afraid to ask as the worst your doctor can say is no!
Hmm yes I allready know if I did get one I would want a patch pump as there's a lucky tood i would catch tubed ones. I'm being referred to danfee. My reasons are sometimes even the tinyest adjustment when things went working can sand things the other way. Im pretty sure my background needs are different for each time of day or night whichj you just can't do on pens. And my job. However if they fail as much as my libre sensors did they might be a bit of a problem. Maybe by my next appointment ill have picked up the courage to at least ask about the possibility

One thing I want to ask about Dexcom - do the Dexcom sensors get compression lows like Libre? If so how does this work with Basal IQ and Control IQ?
Yes they can do, so then the pump would think you were having a hypo and switch the basal off. But the worst that can happen is that you’re a bit high later and you correct it. You’ll get alarms going off as well to alert you if it thinks you’re low so hopefully you’d realise the problem sooner rather than later!

Hmm yes I allready know if I did get one I would want a patch pump as there's a lucky tood i would catch tubed ones. I'm being referred to danfee. My reasons are sometimes even the tinyest adjustment when things went working can sand things the other way. Im pretty sure my background needs are different for each time of day or night whichj you just can't do on pens. And my job. However if they fail as much as my libre sensors did they might be a bit of a problem. Maybe by my next appointment ill have picked up the courage to at least ask about the possibility
You’d also need to find out what pumps your CCG offer as they may not offer the pump you want

Yes they can do, so then the pump would think you were having a hypo and switch the basal off. But the worst that can happen is that you’re a bit high later and you correct it. You’ll get alarms going off as well to alert you if it thinks you’re low so hopefully you’d realise the problem sooner rather than later!
That’s good that it alarms you

Good news! I had my appointment today and the diabetes team said that I should come to the pump and technology day in April! So it wasn’t a no
That's fantastic news.
My recommendation would be to get to hold and feel all of the pumps on offer.
You say you don't want a patch pump becaus eit is too bulky - that was the reason I pushed for a patch pump - the tubed ones are much bulkier

That's fantastic news.
My recommendation would be to get to hold and feel all of the pumps on offer.
You say you don't want a patch pump becaus eit is too bulky - that was the reason I pushed for a patch pump - the tubed ones are much bulkier
I’m sure I’ll find out at the pump information day in April - whether it’s virtual or in person I don’t know

Good news! I had my appointment today and the diabetes team said that I should come to the pump and technology day in April! So it wasn’t a no

Good news, first step anyway. Regards patch pump being bulky, not so in fact forget sometimes I'm wearing one, only decided on omnipod as its tube free so less hassle.

Good news, first step anyway. Regards patch pump being bulky, not so in fact forget sometimes I'm wearing one, only decided on omnipod as its tube free so less hassle.
This is changing my mind on which pump - I know that one of the pumps on offer is the Omnipod Dash

This is changing my mind on which pump - I know that one of the pumps on offer is the Omnipod Dash

Currently using it, switched over to it back in November. Only one fault so far, that is handset, find it needs charged most days or it goes flat quickly, so charge it at night when go to bed, apart from that's it's great, just looks like mobile phone.

You’d also need to find out what pumps your CCG offer as they may not offer the pump you want
I know they offer the onipod because otherf people have it

I know they offer the onipod because otherf people have it
Ah, then you need to work up the courage to speak to your consultant. As others have said the worst your consultant can say is no and it won’t hurt to ask

DAFNE is often a pre-requisite for pumps and may be a great chance to get to know the people who can influence whether you will be considered for a pump or not. My local DAFNE course is run by one of the DSNs and a dietician. They want to see that you are the kind of person who is willing and able to put in the effort needed to manage a pump.

DAFNE is often a pre-requisite for pumps and may be a great chance to get to know the people who can influence whether you will be considered for a pump or not. My local DAFNE course is run by one of the DSNs and a dietician. They want to see that you are the kind of person who is willing and able to put in the effort needed to manage a pump.
Totally agree with this. The DSN who takes the DAFNE course may well advocate for you with the consultant if he/she feels that you will benefit from a pump. Several people from my course got a pump within a couple of months of attending the course. They get to know you and your diabetes pretty well when they spend a whole week with you, going over your daily readings and seeing what conclusions you can draw from them and what strategies you try to resolve them. It is a really great course because you learn from the other members of the group and the different problems they are facing (which you may well encounter in the future) as well as your own issues. I was really apprehensive about attending it especially as I eat low carb but it was brilliant. So pleased you are being put forward for it @rayray119

Totally agree with this. The DSN who takes the DAFNE course may well advocate for you with the consultant if he/she feels that you will benefit from a pump. Several people from my course got a pump within a couple of months of attending the course. They get to know you and your diabetes pretty well when they spend a whole week with you, going over your daily readings and seeing what conclusions you can draw from them and what strategies you try to resolve them. It is a really great course because you learn from the other members of the group and the different problems they are facing (which you may well encounter in the future) as well as your own issues. I was really apprehensive about attending it especially as I eat low carb but it was brilliant. So pleased you are being put forward for it @rayray119
Yes I asked about that yesterday im being referred to it

Glad the appointment went well @Lily123

I have my consultant appointment next Wednesday and it honestly can’t come round quickly enough. The last few months have been a real struggle with so many issues that just seem to have no solution.

I’m super grateful they moved it a month early (I think they realised I was finding it all super hard as I sent a looooong email explaining all my issues!)

Just shows that if you push for something, you can often get the outcome you want in the end, including me getting this appointment early. Just hoping they will have some solutions for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back