Insulin pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that is a problem. It gives you a bigger window to remember.

The problem is the inflexibility. You cannot change the dose due to exercise or monthly hormones. And, you have to know days in advance that you are going to be unwell and need extra basal.
Yeah then if need to make a more permanent to change to have to wait for 3 days before you can get an idea if it's working or not.

@Lily123 I know what you mean with the wrong insulin. Befor I switched to Tresiba I had a split dose of Levemir, and my trick at bedtime was to grab the wrong pen! Not so bad when I realised, but not good when I didn't notice! Switching to a single Tresiba in th morning was great, as I was then taking both.

Now on Omnipod pump, so that was a whole new learning curve LOL, but well worth it. 🙂 Very happy with the pod and lack of tubes ... and no need to disconnect the pump for bathing or swimming 🙂
did you feel like you forotten do something when you first started on the omimpod 🙂

You didn’t get a no then so that’s good. Maybe the new consultant with be more open minded
So the the new consultant I'm on the waiting list to see is a type 1 dibitic herself that might work in my favour

One of the nurses at our GP surgery was T1. She was pretty clueless, frankly. She attended a nearby hospital for her D care and said they were useless as they hadn't managed to cure her night-time hypos ..... Err, hang on - that's your job you twit, not theirs ..... Zipped my lip. No point having a battle with an unarmed opponent.

One of the nurses at our GP surgery was T1. She was pretty clueless, frankly. She attended a nearby hospital for her D care and said they were useless as they hadn't managed to cure her night-time hypos ..... Err, hang on - that's your job you twit, not theirs ..... Zipped my lip. No point having a battle with an unarmed opponent.
Ah yes but this a diabetties consuldent not a standard go nurse.

Only problem with Tresiba is that if you completely forget to take it then you don’t realise because it lasts longer than basals like Levemir and Lantus
I never found that to be a problem, as I always did my Tresiba at breakfast, so it was a dose of Novarapid, and a dose of Tresiba. Just getting into the routine, and avoided the problem of forgetting, or taking the wrong one, at bedtime. As @helli said, you couldn't change the dose easily, but I found that having the longer acting (42 hours) of basal, and having it at breakfast, it meant that I had effectively a reduced dose overnight as the first overlapping dose phased out, but maintained a steady basal during the day. Any adjustments were done with reducing or increasing the bolus.

did you feel like you forotten do something when you first started on the omimpod 🙂
Not really - I had been pushing to get onto a pump for a while. I was hoping for the Tandem, but there was a delay at my clinic making it available, so I settled for the pod instead. Advantages are being tubeless, and not having to fiddle around filling the tubing, plus it stays on when I shower etc. Initiating it is very straightforward - draw up insulin, deactivate the current pod, inject insulin into the pod, and start the activation process, then attach to the chosen body part. Downside initially was that there was absolutely zero option of a closed loop for it initially, but then I found out that the forthcoming release of Android APS DIY system (3.0.0.1) would be facilitating looping the Dash, which I am now doing.

I never found that to be a problem, as I always did my Tresiba at breakfast, so it was a dose of Novarapid, and a dose of Tresiba. Just getting into the routine, and avoided the problem of forgetting, or taking the wrong one, at bedtime. As @helli said, you couldn't change the dose easily, but I found that having the longer acting (42 hours) of basal, and having it at breakfast, it meant that I had effectively a reduced dose overnight as the first overlapping dose phased out, but maintained a steady basal during the day. Any adjustments were done with reducing or increasing the bolus.
Yes and the time I take Tresiba varies between weekday and weekend because I take it before bed but that doesn’t always mean I remember

I ended up with two dark blue pens at one point, so I stuck a label on the basal pen and wrapped it with sellotape, and I got to know instinctively that the Levemir pen had a rough bit on it, and the novorapid was smooth. Now I’ve got a red one for bolus, but the label is still on the blue one, which helps first thing in the morning if it’s a bit dark!
I used to have a red (for rapid) and a silver (for slow) but then when I needed to replace them I ended up with two the same!

Yes and the time I take Tresiba varies between weekday and weekend because I take it before bed but that doesn’t always mean I remember
Ah - that is the very reason I went on to taking mine at breakfast - start of the day as part of the breakfast routine. Avoided any night time mishaps! However, I've had many more years of practice at screwing up my doses than you have LOL.

When I was on tresibra I used to take it when I got up but one morning I think I spit all of it because it hadn't got needle in probelly (early days) but saw no difference and was still hypoing in the day was on set doses a point well that night I was shooting up

I don’t think switching to take Tresiba in the morning would help - half asleep teenager just about capable of getting up let alone remembering an injection LOL

Update: Still haven’t got funding but the DSN was off from about June until December with an injury so that’s fair enough.

Had an appointment with the diabetes nurse today and she made some suggestions for the night hypos - dropping the basal down to 21. Also mentioned about at the next appointment or after dexcom funding has gone through I’d need an appointment with her and the psychologist before they put the funding request in

I don’t think switching to take Tresiba in the morning would help - half asleep teenager just about capable of getting up let alone remembering an injection LOL
Yes, love the humour!
Realise you replied in May, just caught up! Also with Tresiba the timing is far less important; today's dose is topping up yesterday - given the 40 hour profile of Tresiba

Last edited:
Update: Still haven’t got funding but the DSN was off from about June until December with an injury so that’s fair enough.

Had an appointment with the diabetes nurse today and she made some suggestions for the night hypos - dropping the basal down to 21. Also mentioned about at the next appointment or after dexcom funding has gone through I’d need an appointment with her and the psychologist before they put the funding request in
One thing that has also changed in the last 12 months is the reorganisation of NHS the former quite small CCGs (Care Centre Groups - which oversee GP Surgeries and provide funding allowances for Hospital Trusts and Surgeries).

Since 1 July 2022 the CCGs have been grouped together into much larger Integrated Care Systems (ICS). My South Bucks region is now part of a Bucks, Oxford and Berkshire West (BOB) Region, embracing c.140 former CCGs. Not sure if your part of Bucks is within the new BOB. But in due course each large ICS will be dictating what can and can't be provided by all Trusts and Practices in their Region. I'm not clear how much "integration" has already happened and certainly in the BOB ICS there is clear evidence that the reorganisation is providing an excuse to defer and delay implementation of anything that needs extra funds!

You can't do much about this, but might be worth you being aware that this could occur. If I were in your situation I'd politely but robustly pester for your case to be dealt with promptly - before it gets bogged down in the bigger picture of Reorganisation!

One thing that has also changed in the last 12 months is the reorganisation of NHS the former quite small CCGs (Care Centre Groups - which oversee GP Surgeries and provide funding allowances for Hospital Trusts and Surgeries).

Since 1 July 2022 the CCGs have been grouped together into much larger Integrated Care Systems (ICS). My South Bucks region is now part of a Bucks, Oxford and Berkshire West (BOB) Region, embracing c.140 former CCGs. Not sure if your part of Bucks is within the new BOB. But in due course each large ICS will be dictating what can and can't be provided by all Trusts and Practices in their Region. I'm not clear how much "integration" has already happened and certainly in the BOB ICS there is clear evidence that the reorganisation is providing an excuse to defer and delay implementation of anything that needs extra funds!

You can't do much about this, but might be worth you being aware that this could occur. If I were in your situation I'd politely but robustly pester for your case to be dealt with promptly - before it gets bogged down in the bigger picture of Reorganisation!
I think I’m under South Bucks as I live in North Herts so location wise it makes sense.
The diabetes nurse sent the notes from the appointment over email yesterday and said that there just needs to be a date set to meet with both her and the psychologist and then they can apply for pump funding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back