In the Garden

On Countryfile last might they were in a very large stately home garden, in the Cotswolds I think, I missed the beginning of the programme. There was millions of snowdrops and over 200 species. Who knew? I though a snowdrop was a snowdrop. I’m going to look at mine today and see if we have different ones. Also we have crocus out we just planted last year. No daffs flowering yet. We usually have a clump of miniature ones come out first, absolutely no sign whatsoever. We have a aconites, chionodoxa and bergenia all flowering.

On Countryfile last might they were in a very large stately home garden, in the Cotswolds I think, I missed the beginning of the programme. There was millions of snowdrops and over 200 species. Who knew? I though a snowdrop was a snowdrop. I’m going to look at mine today and see if we have different ones. Also we have crocus out we just planted last year. No daffs flowering yet. We usually have a clump of miniature ones come out first, absolutely no sign whatsoever. We have a aconites, chionodoxa and bergenia all flowering.

Our little tete-a-tete daffs (narcissus) have already been lovely this year. They were a welcome splash of colour in these grey and drizzly days. The ones in the back were earlier, and have pretty much finished, but the ones in the front are still brightening the street.

Crocus are just starting to take over, but they are very thinned out from what we used to have. I can never understand why bulbs in parks, verges, and untended spaces seem to go on from year to year, but the ones I cosset and encourage in the garden seem to disappear after 2-3 years and need repurchasing :confused:😱🙄

I think the place is Colesbourne in Gloucestershire.

I thought they said over 300 species! They looked lovely.

I thought they said over 300 species! They looked lovely.
Both correct! Over 300 species in all, but over 200 at that place.

They did look magnificent.

I went out to check the snowdrops and I have at least two different species, one of which is a lovely one they showed on Countryfile and looks like a rose in the middle. They’re almost finished now, next year I’m going to appreciate them more. I also found a daffodil flowering at the very back of the garden behind the shed. I rarely go behind there as it’s where the compost heap is and I’m scared that a rodent beginning with R might be there! <shiver>, I’ve never seen one in the 37 years we’ve lived here, but I’m petrified of them! But I needed to empty the compost bin and Mr Eggy was busy. I also noticed we have a lovely crop of rhubarb, must do something with it this year.

Thought I’d give you an update on the greenhouse/potting shed Mr Eggy built last year. We now have power, no plumbing as yet but we have an outside tap so no hurry. He has built shelves from a couple of kitchen worktops. Purchased a heated mat and heated propagater. Brought our germinated seedlings in from the dining room, the ones that survived the jackdaw coming down the chimney, they’re on the heated mat. Aubergine, chillis, sweet peppers and tomatoes. Carrot seeds planted last week. It’s very exciting but also stressful , it’s like bringing up babies!

Attachments

• IMG_4811.jpeg
    IMG_4811.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4810.jpeg
    IMG_4810.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4809.jpeg
    IMG_4809.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4808.jpeg
    IMG_4808.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 6
Thought I’d give you an update on the greenhouse/potting shed Mr Eggy built last year. We now have power, no plumbing as yet but we have an outside tap so no hurry. He has built shelves from a couple of kitchen worktops. Purchased a heated mat and heated propagater. Brought our germinated seedlings in from the dining room, the ones that survived the jackdaw coming down the chimney, they’re on the heated mat. Aubergine, chillis, sweet peppers and tomatoes. Carrot seeds planted last week. It’s very exciting but also stressful , it’s like bringing up babies!

Just need to get toilet installed in there @eggyg

My garden is a disaster area
We had some strong winds last month and they took out 1/3 of my trellis plus a climbing rose.
Er yes, i have to weed the patio 😳
RIP big yellow roses
20240312_171350.jpg

Speaking of garden disasters… I asked for a bunch of snowdrops from my parents for a recent birthday. We had a good clump for a while, but it eventually stopped appearing. I’ve tried a few from garden centres, but they never seem to ‘take’.

I checked to see how the divided clump was getting on yesterday. This is the nature of our slug/snail population. We simply aren’t having the cold winters to reduce their numbers any more. They don’t seem to go after the snowdrops in local parks… but went crazy for these! Very disappointing :(

1710666618298.jpeg

Speaking of garden disasters… I asked for a bunch of snowdrops from my parents for a recent birthday. We had a good clump for a while, but it eventually stopped appearing. I’ve tried a few from garden centres, but they never seem to ‘take’.

I checked to see how the divided clump was getting on yesterday. This is the nature of our slug/snail population. We simply aren’t having the cold winters to reduce their numbers any more. They don’t seem to go after the snowdrops in local parks… but went crazy for these! Very disappointing :(

View attachment 29571
Oh no! We have loads of slugs and snails on our garden, they’ve completely eaten some of the tulips as the greenery was emerging, and later on they will mount a concerted attack on the dahlias and asters, but they've never attacked the snowdrops!

I so far this year have not had much slug or snail damage, but have only had a couple of dry days together so far this year. No doubt will get lots later. Last year they demolished most of my seedlings in seed trays.

I so far this year have not had much slug or snail damage, but have only had a couple of dry days together so far this year. No doubt will get lots later. Last year they demolished most of my seedlings in seed trays.
There was somebody on one of the gardening programs saying slugs and snails are your garden friends, I think NOT.
Picked 4 small sticks of rhubarb yesterday, chives are growing well and a few random salad leaves in the polytunnel, rocket, Greek cress, parsley. Things are finally starting to grow despite the wet.

This is what Storm Isha did to my garden. Free ranging dogs from next door!!

Fence 1.jpgFence 2.jpgProgress 1.jpgProgress 2.jpgFinished garden.jpg

There was somebody on one of the gardening programs saying slugs and snails are your garden friends, I think NOT.
Picked 4 small sticks of rhubarb yesterday, chives are growing well and a few random salad leaves in the polytunnel, rocket, Greek cress, parsley. Things are finally starting to grow despite the wet.
Neither do I had hardling any seedlings left.

Back