In the Garden

Very smart repair job @Felinia

You must be very pleased with that!

Slugs are no friend to me or my Dahlia growing husband!!!! On the plus side my pink magnolia tree flowers have started to open!! I love them

Not in the garden as such but at a local country park....

When you get siskins you get them mob handed...

View attachment 29711

And who might this be....
View attachment 29712
I think it might be a female blackcap. Brownish grey with a pale red top to the head. I had one on my bird feeder and looked it up because I didn't recognise it. We have male blackcaps so it makes sense.

I think it might be a female blackcap. Brownish grey with a pale red top to the head. I had one on my bird feeder and looked it up because I didn't recognise it. We have male blackcaps so it makes sense.
Not what I thought. Any other ideas anybody before I reveal my guess.

I took it for a particularly fine female chaffinch. There are a lot of male chaffinches around the feeders on this site.

I am only at Mum's garden once a week now, to help mow the grass and tidy. I swapped with my son. He's not a gardener. He's an Eeyore. :rofl: He came in from the back looking glum "There's fifteen trees in that garden!" It's only an end old bids bungalow. :rofl:

I'm gonna get as many up as possible, the tiddy ones, and plant in the communal garden here. I've already transferred my Yew. I told nephew to put it in best place. At the minute it looks like a small Christmas Tree so he puts it quite near my flat lounge window the twonk. The people that will be living here when I pop m'clogs will have to put the lights on at noon. Ha!

I'm looking forward to transferring my conker tree. It'll be able to stretch it's roots. The Yew is thriving and gone back to being green rather than browning all over.

edit/

In case you were wondering, son isn't an old bid yet, but he's not a well man, the NHS nearly did for him so the housing association let him have the easy to run bungalow.

This looks like you have artificial grass? Is that “ever edge” on the left? The fencing looks pressure treated? .
Nice job. Trying to get my head round the joins on the grass. Looks like the edging off the roll?
It is artificial grass and in some ways it's good (no cutting or edging, and no sinking into the mud) but in other ways not so good. Weeds grow at the edges and through the grass despite all the preparation before it was laid. The joins never vanished despite assurances. The fence is pressure treated and installed to a method developed by the landscaper. Each plank is laid individually, with a 2 mm gap between each, so the wind can blow through. It's absolutely rock solid now. Not cheap but will last me out.

A chiff chaff maybe?
Our favourite birdwatching spot is the back window of the visitors centre on a local country park set on the top of a forested hill. Because of the location and the perching feeders the range of birds seen is a bit limited, but what there are appear in abundance. There is a whiteboard alongside the window to record sightings and I have never seen chiff chaff on the list. The highlights are a pair of nuthatches which are often about, the occasional appearance of a great spotted woodpecker and a colony of bank voles that leap out of their burrows, grab bits that have dropped onto the floor from the feeders and rush back out of sight.

On the principle it is more likely to be dead common, I favour a female chaffinch that is less scruffy than most!

Picture of bank vole attached.

PS The centre serves a decent cup of tea and coffee so its near perfection as a location to while away an hour watching what is going on outside.

Attachments

• P1030354.JPG
    P1030354.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 2
It is artificial grass and in some ways it's good (no cutting or edging, and no sinking into the mud) but in other ways not so good. Weeds grow at the edges and through the grass despite all the preparation before it was laid. The joins never vanished despite assurances. The fence is pressure treated and installed to a method developed by the landscaper. Each plank is laid individually, with a 2 mm gap between each, so the wind can blow through. It's absolutely rock solid now. Not cheap but will last me out.
The fencing looks great. I’m not sure what the prep was regarding your grass? But at a guess, weed barrier & sand? (After the initial soil dig off to lower the level to your path. The edge of the grass roll appears to run across your garden where it is joined. Some artificial grass rolls can have thinner grass at the edge in manufacturing which would need further trimming off to make a join you can’t or shouldn’t see. (Utilising a thicker weave?)
A little carful stiff brushing in the area might lessen the impact with those lines?
You do have a fantastic view at the bottom of your garden. 🙂

The fencing looks great. I’m not sure what the prep was regarding your grass? But at a guess, weed barrier & sand? (After the initial soil dig off to lower the level to your path. The edge of the grass roll appears to run across your garden where it is joined. Some artificial grass rolls can have thinner grass at the edge in manufacturing which would need further trimming off to make a join you can’t or shouldn’t see. (Utilising a thicker weave?)
A little carful stiff brushing in the area might lessen the impact with those lines?
You do have a fantastic view at the bottom of your garden. 🙂
Yes you're right about the prep. And we've tried stiff brushing many times to no effect. They didn't trim the edges and it's too late now unfortunately.

Yes you're right about the prep. And we've tried stiff brushing many times to no effect. They didn't trim the edges and it's too late now unfortunately.
I’m glad you managed keep the dogs out. Sand can trap dog pee odour which isn’t nice on a hot dry day?
Pet owners tend to use a limestone dust? On top of a layer of compressed type one aggregates. (Not forgetting the weed barrier.)

Having a walk up the garden yesterday checking for damage after Storm Kathleen I spotted this teeny tiny double headed daff. Just on its own along a small border with a hedge. The flowers are barely as big as a pound coin. Really cute, never seen a daffodil so small. Has anyone else got any? On the other hand our triple headed daffs are out and one’s got four heads! These are my favourite of all our daffodils and the last to come out. These ones are also in a random place ( we have them elsewhere too) under a rose bush under my clothes post!
No damage in the back garden but our new pot of tulips in the front are a bit flat. But look how beautiful they are. Mr Eggy planted them last year and I didn’t know. Knocks our boring common red tulips into a cocked hat. Hoping they might recover and get themselves back up.

Attachments

• IMG_4949.jpeg
    IMG_4949.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4948.jpeg
    IMG_4948.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4947.jpeg
    IMG_4947.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4946.jpeg
    IMG_4946.jpeg